MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
Confederate deserters from the 52nd VA infantry.
6/16/2021 12:40:24 PM
This article caught my eye by the number of men absent while a major campaign is underway. If this regiment is representative of all ANV units Lee left half his army at home. From the Staunton Spectator. Staunton VA. June 16, 1863

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/17/2021 9:26:12 AM
Hi Larry,

That's surprising! I thought it was only later that the ANV, had so many AWOLs?

BTW I found that Lee's ANV finally crossed the Potomac River, & on 6-22 they were skirmish ing in Chambersburg, PA.! I know earlier I brought up their Northern Invasion time frame? Of course JEB was north even earlier?

Regards,
MD

Information comes from my "Civil War day by day", text from Henry Steele Commager!
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
6/17/2021 6:21:29 PM
Quote:
Hi Larry,

That's surprising! I thought it was only later that the ANV, had so many AWOLs?

BTW I found that Lee's ANV finally crossed the Potomac River, & on 6-22 they were skirmish ing in Chambersburg, PA.! I know earlier I brought up their Northern Invasion time frame? Of course JEB was north even earlier?

Regards,
MD

Information comes from my "Civil War day by day", text from Henry Steele Commager!

I think Jenkins (?) cavalry was over the Mason Dixon line far ahead of Ewell. Not in great force but raiding and raising hell none the less.

Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
6/18/2021 12:11:31 PM
Quote:
This article caught my eye by the number of men absent while a major campaign is underway. If this regiment is representative of all ANV units Lee left half his army at home. From the Staunton Spectator. Staunton VA. June 16, 1863

Was the Staunton newspaper the original source for that report?

A few years back I found a Northern account that stated 50 deserters from the 44th Georgia (Doles' brigade)
had been rounded up in the June 1863 invasion. When I studied the roster of the 44th GA, there were no
desertions in June 1863.

I'm wondering if this was some form of misinformation?

Greg
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
6/18/2021 10:02:20 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Was the Staunton newspaper the original source for that report?

A few years back I found a Northern account that stated 50 deserters from the 44th Georgia (Doles' brigade)
had been rounded up in the June 1863 invasion. When I studied the roster of the 44th GA, there were no
desertions in June 1863.

I'm wondering if this was some form of misinformation?

Greg

Here's the article again. it seems to be original to the Spectator. Would the the 52nd have been from the Staunton area?

Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
6/19/2021 6:46:06 PM
Company-D is short a few men. Published June 20, 1863

Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
6/20/2021 11:59:33 PM
Quote:

Look at the original date of the listing toward the bottom: "Dec 16 1862"

Those guys were reported missing 3 days after Fredericksburg. They did not disappear
during the Gettysburg Campaign in June 1863.

Greg
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
6/21/2021 6:01:41 AM
Quote:
Quote:

Those guys were reported missing 3 days after Fredericksburg. They did not disappear

Greg

You are correct on the date. The intent was to show how many men were absent in June 1863 that could have swelled the ranks of the ANV.
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
6/21/2021 8:25:01 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Greg

You are correct on the date. The intent was to show how many men were absent in June 1863 that could have swelled the ranks of the ANV.

That's certainly possible. Its been my experience when seeing someone classified as a deserter that many times its a soldier
taking an extended furlough; or the paperwork regarding a medical disposition didn't reach the regiment.

Greg
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
6/22/2021 9:39:45 AM
Another list of deserters from the Abingdon Virginian.
All members of the 48th VA infantry.

mikecmaps
CAMARILLO CA USA
6/22/2021 6:39:26 PM
group,

Please note that David Colly, 6th on list, is not my great great grandfather David Nowlin Collie. (see service on genealogy section) Grandpa David served in the 53rd VA inf and later in the 38th. The 38th was recruited (partly) in Pittsylvania Co. Va. He re-enlisted in the 38th in Nov 64, was in sick hospital by March 6 65, was back with ANV by April 11, 65. He served in 53rd from Aug 61 to sept 62 & was discharged as over age for first conscript law. His son William, 16, serve 30 days in 38th apr 1 62- 30 apr 62 & died in Chimborazo hospital. One reason to post this is because the descriptions of the two David Collie/Colleys is very close but are two different men. And best I can tell David Colley and Samuel Colly from Saltville are not listed in family genealogy but its possible they should be not sure.

As far as desertions: looking at almost any monthly return for ANV 62-64 will find AGGREGATE at maybe 100k+ and presant for duty like 50-60k. Not due to desertions but due to numbers of men detached for various reasons. nothing to see here. unlike modern armies secondary admin units/functions were manned by regular soldiers detached from regular regts. and yes not uncommon that these be 30-50% of total aggregate.

And also note that a number of our Collie family men who had immgrated to Kentucky served in union units.
Thank you,
Mike_C

mikecmaps
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
7/1/2021 11:02:44 AM
From the Lancaster Examiner July 1, 1863

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC