MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
The truth finally comes out
7/16/2021 12:42:20 PM
From the Charleston daily Courier. Charleston SC.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
7/16/2021 2:43:21 PM
Hi Larry,

Phil is right, I better respond to your articles sooner, so I won't lose them! This is a very amusing article claiming a big dominating victory at & around Gettysburg! Charleston is a beautiful Southern City, I have been there many times, love the city & its citizens! Back then the Charleston Daily Courier Newspaper is certainly printing news that Gentlemen, & Belles want to hear! Of course any movements by the ANV at & after Gettysburg, were brilliant moves & dictated by Marse Robert, the total victory of the Southern Forces !? Of course the Yanks were decisively beaten!?

Good job Charleston Daily Courier!
Bless your heart, the war should be over soon!
With a resounding victory over the Northern Aggressors!?
MD

BTW For fear of being one sided, I will say some Northern papers surely played up a resounding victory, that wasn't even close!?
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
7/16/2021 3:26:02 PM
I was in Charleston once. Went to the USO there. Really don't remember much about the city.

Larry
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/16/2021 4:09:11 PM
Quote:
I was in Charleston once. Went to the USO there. Really don't remember much about the city.

Larry

Do you mean the Golf, Larry ?

Charleston remains on my “ must do” list....I’ve been to Gettysburg, Antietam, and all the big Virginia battlefields, but Charleston still eludes me.

I’ve even been to New York City and California....what the heck has stopped me from going to the heart of Secession ?

To make the cup run over, my older brother - a golf fiend - went to The Open there about twenty years ago. I was so envious , and demanded that he tell me about the place and its history. He looked at me in a rather disdainful way, and shrugged his shoulders, and he summed the place up :

Vestigial slavery

WTF ?

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
7/16/2021 4:54:08 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Larry

Do you mean the Golf, Larry ?

Charleston remains on my “ must do” list....I’ve been to Gettysburg, Antietam, and all the big Virginia battlefields, but Charleston still eludes me.

I’ve even been to New York City and California....what the heck has stopped me from going to the heart of Secession ?

To make the cup run over, my older brother - a golf fiend - went to The Open there about twenty years ago. I was so envious , and demanded that he tell me about the place and its history. He looked at me in a rather disdainful way, and shrugged his shoulders, and he summed the place up :

Vestigial slavery

WTF ?

Regards, Phil

Hi Phil. USO equals United Servicemen's Organization. https://www.uso.org/ I was stationed at Fort Jackson in Columbia SC.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/16/2021 5:46:41 PM
Well, damn my eyes, Larry .....I thought you were talking about the US Open !

Golf is an important attribute of The Palmetto State, isn’t it......although Augusta, Georgia might be the more celebrated venue.

What a sad fool I am !

What I know about golf would fit on the back of a postage stamp.......although I did caddy for my brother when he played. I even carried his clubs round the big course at Sandwich, Kent, The Royal St George’s, where the Open is being played right now. That was about fifty five years ago. Even then, I was captivated by the American Civil War. It was the time of the centennial of the conflict. To my embarrassment , in one of my caddying forays , my brother introduced me to a fellow golfer and blurted out “ Let me introduce you to my younger brother , Philip , who doesn’t know much about anything except the American Civil War and gorillas. If you ask him about the Battle of Gettysburg, he won’t just tell you how many casualties there were, he’ll tell you their names and addresses !

How remarkable that research from the likes of John Busey affords me the chance to do that now.

I would love to visit Charleston, and get a sense of the history.

The Citadel, the French boulevards and the evocation of Secession.

Dream on.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/18/2021 8:28:49 AM
Perhaps the good people of Charleston were afflicted with a sense of “ Oh Lord ! What have we done ? “

Being to the fore in the secessionist cause, were they desperate to kid themselves that it was all going to be fine : or were there dissenting voices, determined to lift the scales from peoples’ eyes ?

I’m sure I’ve seen such articles that Larry has pitched over the years, but I can’t remember which newspapers they emanated from.

Imagine the families of the soldiers in Kershaw’s Brigade. Few rebel units were more badly mauled than those South Carolinians who got blasted by yankee artillery fire as they advanced on Day Two. How long before the awful news - or, at least, the rumours - began to circulate among those close knit and inter related communities ?

Regards, Phil
Dick Evick
Waco TX USA
7/19/2021 1:11:53 PM
Letters home from the confederate troops must have told a different story than the Charleston Press.

Dick.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/19/2021 1:28:18 PM
Quote:
Letters home from the confederate troops must have told a different story than the Charleston Press.

Dick.

That would make an interesting thesis for an academic foray !

How good was the postal service for soldiers in that war ?

And, more intriguingly , was there a form of censorship imposed on the content of letters ?

One of the most remarkable features of British experience of the warfare in France and Flanders 1914-18, was the astonishing efficiency of the postal communication. Of course, there was precious little distance between Britain and the trenches ; and the static nature of that war made the routine service all the more facilitated. The important caveat being that all letters from the “ Other Ranks “ - or the “ Enlisted Men” as you prefer across the pond - were subjected to scrutiny and censorship from the officers who commanded them.

Was this extant in the ACW ?

There must have been the most heart rending accounts going both ways : from soldiers who had endured the horror of battle, to wives and children writing from home with desperate appeals for the menfolk to return.

I get the impression that the confederate soldiers were granted license to write what they wanted to ; there was a more democratic emphasis on the military hierarchy in the American armies of 1861-65 than there was to be for Tommy Atkins 1914-18.

Should I reconsider ?

Regards, Phil

Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
7/19/2021 3:16:51 PM
Hi Phil. I know of official no official censorship in the ACW. Many Union soldiers despaired just as their Southern brothers especially as the war dragged on. Some newspapers , North and South were more prone to pro war or anti war viewpoints. Some NY newspapers could very well have been printed in South Carolina.

Larry.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/20/2021 5:50:57 AM
That makes this war all the more remarkable, doesn’t it, Larry ?

The individual states on both sides took such profound exception, in one way or another, with the conduct of the war by their respective Federal or Confederate governments. What a heavy load was borne by Lincoln and Davis ! And yet, those state governors had their poison chalices, too.

That the war was pursued with such resolve and intensity, despite these dissenting voices, is something that often excites my interest, and, sometimes, my admiration. Maybe it was not so much despite - but because of them : that freedom to speak out might be a contributory factor to the war making prowess of the people. ......by the people, and for the people.

Regards, Phil
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
7/20/2021 3:19:10 PM
Quote:
That makes this war all the more remarkable, doesn’t it, Larry ?

The individual states on both sides took such profound exception, in one way or another, with the conduct of the war by their respective Federal or Confederate governments. What a heavy load was borne by Lincoln and Davis ! And yet, those state governors had their poison chalices, too.

That the war was pursued with such resolve and intensity, despite these dissenting voices, is something that often excites my interest, and, sometimes, my admiration. Maybe it was not so much despite - but because of them : that freedom to speak out might be a contributory factor to the war making prowess of the people. ......by the people, and for the people.

Regards, Phil

If read numerous times where Lincoln shut down various Northern newspapers and/or had
the owners/editors arrested.

Did Jefferson Davis do anything similar?

Greg
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC