MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
South Carolina loss's in the 12th, 13th and 14th regiments.
7/21/2021 5:01:14 PM
I'm curious how close the official regimental records for Gettysburg match this article.

From the Charleston Daily Courier.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
7/21/2021 9:14:00 PM
Larry,

Even in gone with the wind, the reading of fatalities was emotional, I can only imagine the sadness from the surviving families!?

Sad,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/22/2021 4:11:48 AM
Larry,

This is going to prove a challenge !

Two things to mention immediately : the article states that “ We have received the following additional list of casualties in South Carolina Regiments...” from which we might infer that there had already been some partial reporting. More significantly , you’re referring to ....official regimental records for Gettysburg..

Those official regimental records themselves were , in many cases, short of the mark, and it’s only the research of recent scholars that has revealed the true extent of the bloodshed. I’m convinced that there was every intention on the part of the confederate medical authorities to present a full and proper account : Lee’s medical director furnished as complete a return as he could, but confessed that the circumstances of the campaign did not allow for a full accounting, largely because many of those reported as missing had in fact been killed or wounded, and that so many officers had themselves been knocked out that the returns were not available. This was particularly the case in those units of the Third Corps that had been shot to bits on both Day One and Day Three. Iverson’s Brigade had been practically destroyed in a few moments on the first day, but in the rest of the battle it was given a decent chance to recover its staff and make some rendition of the damage. For the record, the official return that was compiled for Iverson’s brigade was one of the very few that was virtually complete, although it needed to be adjusted when the fate of the wounded and missing was discovered by John Busey.

Official Return : Killed, 130. Wounded, 382. Missing 308. Total 820

Busey has now given us the precise details : Killed, 122. Died of wounds in confederate hands, 11. Died of wounds in enemy hands, 50. Wounded in confederate care, 183. Wounded and taken prisoner, 245. Unwounded prisoners, 262. Missing and unaccounted for, 6. Total, 879.

South Carolina gave a very shocking final accounting of its dead for the entire war. North Carolina likewise. None of the other confederate states made returns that were anywhere near as dreadful. I wonder why.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/22/2021 4:31:15 AM
Larry,

To the specific South Carolina regiments you cite, I’ll give you the official regimental returns, followed by the reality as researched by John Busey.

12th SC : Official , 20 killed, 112 wounded, 0 missing. Total, 132

Busey : 25 killed, 16 mortally wounded, 87 wounded, 4 captured unwounded. Total , 132

13th SC : Official , 31 killed, 99 wounded, 0 missing. Total, 130

Busey : 34 killed, 13 mortally wounded, 89 wounded, 7 captured unwounded. Total, 143

14th SC : Official , 27 killed, 182 wounded, 0 missing. Total, 209

Busey : 25 killed, 25 mortally wounded, 146 wounded, 2 captured unwounded. Total 198.

These were regiments from Perrin’s Brigade, which sustained nearly all its casualties on Day One. The brigade’s official return for all its units was 100 killed, 477 wounded, 0 missing, total 577.

The reality , as compiled by Busey, was : 103 killed in action, 71 died of wounds, 402 wounded, 14 unwounded prisoners. Total, 590.

Incidentally, of those fourteen South Carolinians who were captured unwounded , six perished in captivity.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC