MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
Casualties in the 25th VA infantry at Gettysburg.
7/28/2021 11:55:48 AM
From the Staunton Spectator. Staunton VA. July 28, 1863.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/29/2021 10:21:14 AM
Hi Larry,

Please would you re submit this article about the Alabama casualty list ?

It’s disappeared, and when I get home tonight I’d like to analyse it against the details supplied by Busey and see how complete the original return was.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
7/29/2021 4:55:51 PM

"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/29/2021 5:40:56 PM
Thanks for this, Larry.

The 25th VA was part of Jones’s Brigade, Johnson’s Division , of Ewell’s Corps, and must have suffered these casualties in the fighting at Culp’s Hill. The report you cite only lists the casualties for Companies A and B : the other companies are not visible in the cutting.

The Official Records tabulate the regimental casualties as 3 killed and 37 wounded, with no return for any missing . This is odd because there are five names visible under the heading “ captured” in Companies A and B alone, so the Official Record is contradicted by the regimental report. The regimental report - apparently not replicated in the Official Records - gives a total of 70 casualties. The reality, compiled by John Busey, is that there were 76 casualties : 5 killed in action, 6 mortally wounded, 55 wounded and 10 captured unwounded. Five of the mortally wounded died in Federal hands, and 25 of the non mortally wounded were also prisoners . Of the ten who were captured unscathed, one died in captivity.

If you could reproduce your original post about the casualties suffered by the 47th Alabama, I would be grateful, because that newspaper article gave a total for the whole regiment.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/30/2021 4:19:11 AM
The casualties suffered by the 25th Virginia, and the whole of Jones's Brigade, were painful, but hardly excessive by the standards of Gettysburg. This confederate brigade attacked on the evening of the second day, and was dismayed by the steepness of the slope, the wooded and rocky ground, and , above all - literally - the strength of the yankee breastworks. These daunting features hindered the rebels from pressing home the attack, and, this might have allowed the command to emerge with a casualty list that compared favourably with their counterparts on other sectors of the battlefield. No complacency : Jones himself was badly wounded and the brigade lost at least one quarter of its men.

Editing: to illustrate my point, compare the ordeal of Jones's Brigade with that of its Virginian counterpart under Armistead's command.

Jones, Culp's Hill, evening 2 July and morning 3 July : strength, 1540. Casualties, 412 (26.75%), including 105 (6.82%) killed or mortally wounded.

Armistead, Pickett's Charge, afternoon 3 July : strength, 2,071. Casualties, 1,227 ( 59.25%), including 289 (just under 14%) killed or mortally wounded.

Regards, Phil

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC