MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
London  UK
Day One.
7/1/2022 8:51:02 AM
Here we are again.

With some diffidence, I ask, is there anything we might pitch into our beloved forum that provides a new insight into, or interpretation of , this remarkable day of battle at Gettysburg ?

Regards, Phil
----------------------------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
Day One.
7/1/2022 9:07:23 AM
Hi Phil,

Good one, I'll have to get my shot in now, I'm heading up north, You kind of wonder, at least I have? Longstreet was really downtrodden & was sure Pickett's Charge was going to be bad, he kept suggesting they should go around & flank the AoP! You kind of wonder as the ANV troops getting ready to attack on 7-3, also could sense that this was not a good plan!? Sort of defeated before they started!?? Which also might have contributed to the result!?

What say Yall!?
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
mikecmaps
CAMARILLO CA USA
Day One.
7/1/2022 10:21:21 AM

Phil,
& dave Picketts 7-3 not day one. Two to go.
With 2/3 new corps commanders Lee, IMHO, reluctant to attempt movement Jackson specialized in. also 4 new division commanders and Pickett in command about 9 mos but had seen very little action and was unproven. And don’t mean to open up the whole stuart issue, he had only 3/7 brigs, but situation fluid so IMHO wanted to develop info. Lee quickly learned he didn’t have any single subordinate he could rely on and it proved to be so. Also davis held back two tried and proven divisions. Also two of pickets brigades were also held back. Third corps entirely new with two new divisions. Although ANV “won” day one. Beginning and end of day showed command problems that continued for the battle.
Thanks, Mike_C.
mikecmaps
Phil Andrade
London  UK
Day One.
7/1/2022 3:26:51 PM
Gettysburg saw Lee’s army at near numerical parity with the AoP. Indeed, Day One bestowed the advantage on the AoNV in terms of numbers engaged.

A noteworthy feature of the battle of the first day was the failure of rebel commanders to make a proper report of their heavy casualties, with dire results two days later when badly damaged units were deployed for an attack which they weren’t fit to undertake.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
Day One.
7/1/2022 3:58:06 PM
I think July-1 was the day 1st Corps AOP showed the Southern troops what could happen when competent officers are in command. The only reason Lee and company prevailed was the chance of superior position and numbers. As Brandy Station made the union cavalry I believe the union army was made in the fields of McPhersons farm and the railroad cut. Never again would the ANV call the shots and never again would they be be so arrogant concerning their superiority over a bunch of ribbon clerks and city boys.

Larry
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
Day One.
7/1/2022 4:17:01 PM
Quote:
I think July-1 was the day 1st Corps AOP showed the Southern troops what could happen when competent officers are in command. The only reason Lee and company prevailed was the chance of superior position and numbers. As Brandy Station made the union cavalry I believe the union army was made in the fields of McPhersons farm and the railroad cut. Never again would the ANV call the shots and never again would they be be so arrogant concerning their superiority over a bunch of ribbon clerks and city boys.

Larry

Agreed, wholeheartedly, Larry.

The fight put up by the Ist Corps AoP was first rate.

Although defeated that day, those Federal soldiers in that corps ripped the guts out of Heth’s, Pender’s and Rodes’ divisions .

Regards, Phil

© 2023 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC