MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
Lt. Wesley F. Miller. 1st Minnesota infantry.
7/13/2022 2:53:43 PM
A touching eulogy from the St. Cloud Democrat. St. Cloud Minnesota.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
7/13/2022 8:31:55 PM
Larry,

A very touching epitaph for a 1st Minnesota trooper who made the ultimate sacrifice at Gettysburg!?

Another worthy hero!
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/15/2022 8:49:11 AM
Dave and Larry,

Forgive what must look like an incongruous reference….. in your This Day in History section, Dave, I have mentioned Bob Dylan on account of his allusion to The Memphis Blues. It was on this day in 1914 that the first recording of that composition was made.

Bob Dylan was a son of Minnesota, raised in a Jewish household in Duluth.

Scratch a rebel and you often find an establishment core beneath, and Dylan himself admitted that as a boy he had been fascinated by the military and even cherished hopes of gaining entry to West Point.

I wonder if he ever thought about this Minnesotan Thermopylae at Gettysburg. It might have been an inspiration to him, and added impetus to his stand on the issues of the day when he wrote those songs and teamed up with folks who cherished the challenge. Joan Baez, for example, who gave us her Virgil Caine version of the Civil War .

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2023 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC