MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1939-1945) WWII
Page 1 of 2 (Page:   1    2 )
Author

SC USA
Any Hearts of Iron players?
Posted on: 3/31/2020 1:41:44 PM

I thought there used to be a gaming forum? Either way, with the more free time at home I'm finally tackling Hearts of Iron IV. Any other players out there? It's a pretty steep learning curve but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Right now I'm playing as Germany. It's late 1936 and I'm starting to build up my forces to invade Poland and Czechoslovakia. I have a feeling once I do, France and the UK will not be too happy about it and WWII will begin.. :-O
----------------------------------
http://www.scourgeofwar.com/ - Historical tactical combat games for PC.
kaii
Oslo
 Norway
Posted on: 3/31/2020 8:27:40 PM

Yup, have been playing HoI ever since the first version, lost a bit interest with III but happy they got things right again in IV. I have just installed the Resistance update, but haven't tried it yet. Lately I have been playing Italy and have enjoyed taking on the RN in the Med.
I also had the mod that lets you start in 1933 installed, but found it gave the Germans too much time to build up before war breaks out.

K

I’m not worried about the Third World War. That’s the Third World’s problem.
Brian W
Atlanta
GA USA
Posted on: 3/31/2020 9:05:56 PM

I own it on Steam. Maybe I should give it another try? My 2 sons love it.
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/1/2020 6:41:14 AM

Quote:
I thought there used to be a gaming forum? Either way, with the more free time at home I'm finally tackling Hearts of Iron IV. Any other players out there? It's a pretty steep learning curve but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Right now I'm playing as Germany. It's late 1936 and I'm starting to build up my forces to invade Poland and Czechoslovakia. I have a feeling once I do, France and the UK will not be too happy about it and WWII will begin.. :-O

Are you playing solo or multiplayer?, vanilla?, or with DLC and mods?. Ive not played since before man the guns mind you, as https://store.steampowered.com/app/370540/Gary_Grigsbys_War_in_the_East/ has given me what i prefer, a simulation of warfare in ww2, rather than a game that allows me to conquer the world as Belgium.

I can recomend https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1137372539&searchtext= for a better solo play as it has a larger emphasis on historical reality that base game and has elements of https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1137372539&searchtext= included, if solo on vanilla this mod makes the AI far superior in its ability to produce a better opponent, for example in mud and winter the SU now knows not to attack your static defence line as your going to get a weather bonus as in vanilla it takes no notice of the weather bonus.

Demo of Black Ice, different start dates and the ability to resist the rise of AH as Germany and restore the Kaiserreich, AI never goes that route but its there for thee player.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l41JuJVrgY

War in East demo, i recomend waiting for a sale or War in the East 2 which comes end of year early next year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWVCqtdgT9Q

Example of the mods for this, i recoment the terrain mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UsZ2XwZLEA

As for game play in any game, if you record you game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTk99mHDX_I is the one i use, free software exist to record what your playing) you can then show others or self analyse your game afterwards, here is an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOCuHCZN1Ps for Bull Run. This was to help the dev of a mod to effects of the changes they made, see statistics here https://steamcommunity.com/app/502520/discussions/0/?fp=4

So, in HOI you get to chose paths to follow, and if you record the game as you play, you can in the next run through chose a different path, and compare the two recordings outcomes to see cost benefit from each chosen path.

Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/1/2020 8:52:31 AM

What is the World (WT) tension value?, have you seen events for Uk France form a coalition?, have they guaranteed Poland? if WT is high and they are in a pact/gaurenteed Poland you may well have a two front war in 36, if you invade, when your lacking in prep time to undertake a two front war, why rush to get into a two front war?, why not take longer to prepare for it?, have you got Italy/Bulgaria etc on your side?.

Otoh if you want to have an early war, why not pick Yugoslavia, nice economic gains, and usually isolated diplomatically so can be picked of without escalation.
littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/1/2020 9:01:59 AM

Very cool stuff, Nick, everyone. Thanks for the insight. I'm playing with the Man The Guns expansion. The one problem I have is finding stuff to do while I'm waiting.. Example, waiting to justify a war goal. Waiting to build up forces, etc. I usually speed up time to the fastest and just sit there.. Any tips on things to do while waiting?
littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/1/2020 9:06:08 AM

Quote:
What is the World (WT) tension value?, have you seen events for Uk France form a coalition?, have they guaranteed Poland? if WT is high and they are in a pact/gaurenteed Poland you may well have a two front war in 36, if you invade, when your lacking in prep time to undertake a two front war, why rush to get into a two front war?, why not take longer to prepare for it?, have you got Italy/Bulgaria etc on your side?.

Otoh if you want to have an early war, why not pick Yugoslavia, nice economic gains, and usually isolated diplomatically so can be picked of without escalation.

Actually I'm following this guide:

[Read More]

It basically has the player waiting to gain 200 PP before doing anything. World tension is at 19% right now. I have not seen UK France form a coalition, yet anyway..
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/1/2020 9:19:55 AM

Quote:
Very cool stuff, Nick, everyone. Thanks for the insight. I'm playing with the Man The Guns expansion. The one problem I have is finding stuff to do while I'm waiting.. Example, waiting to justify a war goal. Waiting to build up forces, etc. I usually speed up time to the fastest and just sit there.. Any tips on things to do while waiting?

While your getting ready for your own, you can partake in other peoples wars, an early alliance with Japan allows expeditions to the far east, when Japan takes on the warlords in china, and you get to have a expeditionary force in in the Pacific, if you can gain a province there, and devolve it beyond beach head supply, thats is usfull, italy is another at war and you can send expeditions or just Air assets, to help, as well as intervene in the Spanish civil war, what you want there is for it to last as long as possible to gain as much mil exp for the formations you send, i tend to rotate air groups in and out of Theatre so as to spread the exp gain.

Edit esp if it gains an ace pilot, rotate it out and bring in another as you want them for later, no sense loseing them in a side show.

Work on/out what width of Divisons you want, do you want 40 klick or 20 klick wide Divisions?, what Battns do you want in the Division?, how much Art ( horse drawn makes it slower and consumes more munitions, do i even have the industry to maintain the number i want to build?) to Inf do you want?, i can spend hours on design of different Divisions for different things, ie fast but combat weak early war German Pzr Div, pzr i and II, can overrun retreaters as it moves quicker than they can retreat, and make sure i am building the industry to maintain it. Or do i want Pzr III as well or instead of pzr 1 which cant overun as easily but pack a high punch. BTW Black Ice has every model yopu can think of and makes this aspect of the game much more involved as each model of land and air of each design has its own factories making it much more complex.

Man the gun has a ship designer, but i dont have that DLC as i found the AI not very good at naval so didnt see the need.
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/1/2020 9:31:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:

[Read More]

It basically has the player waiting to gain 200 PP before doing anything. World tension is at 19% right now. I have not seen UK France form a coalition, yet anyway..

So, a fair place to start from to learn the mechanics, what i did was to replay the first campaign i fought till i was happy with it rather than play longer into the game so as to increase the fun of learning it, my first real road block on learning curve was how to take France. As you get better at it Poland becomes a cake walk, with doing it quicker and loseing less and doing so, instead of am i doing this right?, why have i lost so much etc.

Pretty sure you can get the better part of Czechoslovakia through events/political pressure which then gives you Munich event and then UK/France gaurente event shortly after, economic gains from that are worth it.
littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/1/2020 5:53:56 PM

Great tips Nick! I think you're right, I will start over and just concentrate on one front at a time, at least for the early game. Also you've given me plenty to chew on for working while waiting. Thanks again.
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/2/2020 6:00:52 AM

Quote:
Great tips Nick! I think you're right, I will start over and just concentrate on one front at a time, at least for the early game. Also you've given me plenty to chew on for working while waiting. Thanks again.

Your welcome. Have fun with it, its a fun experience, Some other thoughts for you.

If you play with historical focus on, the AI is pretty much scripted to expect you to start a war in Sept 39, and be in roughly the same doctrinal and technological position as in real life, by that i mean its ( each Ai nation) national focus of inventions follow a historical path, ( there is a guide on steam that tells you each nations tech advances in order chosen, or just look in the game files to see them) if you play with it off you get a more random technological progression from the AI. Depends how free form you want the game to be. This means you as the player can decide on what techs you want to progress through and in what order, and predict what you will have and when you will have it, by study of the national focus tree, so as to have an tech edge when you want it.

The biggest downside to early war policies is the loss of MEFO bills, these allow you when at peace, massive bonus to development costs, you can build 25% more factories/air defence/airfields etc in a year than after you lose them by a DOW, so each year you stay at peace this bonus allows a more rapid expansion of your industrial base, which is what you rely on to win the war with. I think the best example of early war DoW that is worth the loss of MEFO, is to get Holland, and its colonies in the far east with its oil income, but without enough storage facilitys these income gets lost so it forces a different economic build priority in Germany to max out the benifit.

Otoh, once you conquer another nation you gain its economic base of factories, but they are prone to SB once UK gets the right tech and equipment to do it with meaning, but more often its internal resistance that stops them from functioning, and become lost to your war time production, to influence/stop that you can set occupation policies from mild to harsh, appoint a minister who reduces it through terror, and use garrison in regions to suppress resistance. Best unit for that is to design a Brigade of cav, with MP Bttns attached, ( give it inferior weapons as its not intended for combat and gets its suppression from the MP units inherent ability) this gives you low combat, low manpower, but high mobility, high civil suppression value unit that moves to the hotspots of resistance and stays there till it it lowers over time. Otherwise partisans appear, who can defeat those Brigades, as well as the loss of the output of the factory and loss of the regions manpower, so its not the only tool you need to keep occupied nations economies working for you, you will work out a strategy for that as you play that suits your play style, but its best to have some units dedicated to suppression of resistance prepared before you invade and you may not know this from just replaying the early conflicts like Spanish civil war to get a feel for how to do land and air combat. ( getting to grips with Army frontlines and planned attacks rather than hasty) In spain you can intervene and get a grip on how to assign air groups in airfields who do mission for all your units plus allies, over the reach of the assets, or are attached to specific formations and dedicated to there support. They can do day and or night, missions, so keep an eye of fuel consumption if you run them 24/7 as in 36 your fuel income is low and the returns from night missions is low, otoh exp rate is higher but so is the accident rate. In Spain SU will oppose Franco so you get a chance to hurt a lot of SU forces as they often commit large forces, and you really dont want Spain to be pro SU when its all over, if you intend to go East later. By end of Spain your air exp will be enough to make a variant of an air frame, maybe a roughly 50% better ME 109 for instance if you look at the aircraft design template, or wait to the FW is invented and have it come on line even better than it is. What you send to Spain is also interesting, if you max out Pzr Divs, losses will exceed industrial production so you cant form and produce another one back in Germany without th ose in Spain becoming weaker and the longer creation time for the one in Germany. Dont forget in formation design to assign priority of new equipment to Pzr Divs for instance, for the newest generation of Inf equipment, otherwise the whole army gets it evenly, when you want it for the Inf Bttns in the mobile formations first and then spread out.

Forgot to mention this mod, [Read More] i see you used a function i should have known about earlier, ta for highlighting it for me to see.

This mod extends the unit experience levels from 5 bands to 21, allowing greater granulation of experience between formations, in vanila you will drop a whole band when equipped with a new weapon system or replacement of high losses from your trained manpower pool, or change the divisional template by swapping in/out Bttns, so 3 levels can be lost instantly.
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/2/2020 8:01:01 AM

Quote:

I see now why you did not see those event chains unfold, that strategy does not give you the Anschluss with Austria after militarisation of the Rhineland, which gives you a solid economy, more manpower and of course the Austrian forces for 140 days political power effort. With Austria on your side, increases your manpower pool making it easier to unlock later big events chains which are tied to army size, stretches the borders making invasion far easier, and depending on Austian build, give you a free Lt Pzr Div and some solid alpine Divs.
littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/2/2020 3:13:15 PM

Awesome stuff, thanks again Nick. So about the Spanish civil war, how exactly do I intervene? I remember getting notified about it in previous attempts with Germany but I never addressed. How can I choose a side to send troops in support when I am not at war with them?

Also, I've seen conflicting information on organizing armies. Some like to have a mix of infantry/tank/motorized divisions, others separate them and have tank/motorized armies, and infantry only. What is your preference and can you explain how they would be used in a typical invasion?
kaii
Oslo
 Norway
Posted on: 4/2/2020 4:39:55 PM

Quote:
Awesome stuff, thanks again Nick. So about the Spanish civil war, how exactly do I intervene? I remember getting notified about it in previous attempts with Germany but I never addressed. How can I choose a side to send troops in support when I am not at war with them?

Also, I've seen conflicting information on organizing armies. Some like to have a mix of infantry/tank/motorized divisions, others separate them and have tank/motorized armies, and infantry only. What is your preference and can you explain how they would be used in a typical invasion?

If I remember correctly (Nick, correct me if I am wrong), you open the diplomatic screen for the country you want to support in their local war (which, if you are Germany is normally Nationalist Spain, Italy and Japan) and select "Send Expeditionary Forces". There is also abox you can tick to include air units, which you can then fly into an air base in the said country (and rotate out of theatre after a while to spread the experience).

K

Note: if you also send an attache to a country at war, you will get some of the experience gained by that country's forcesin combat. Similarly, when you lend/lease equipment to a country and that equipment is used in combat, you get a bit of the experience as well. A few decent German tanks for the Italians seem to wonders for the North Africa campaign for instance...
I’m not worried about the Third World War. That’s the Third World’s problem.
littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/3/2020 9:09:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:

If I remember correctly (Nick, correct me if I am wrong), you open the diplomatic screen for the country you want to support in their local war (which, if you are Germany is normally Nationalist Spain, Italy and Japan) and select "Send Expeditionary Forces". There is also abox you can tick to include air units, which you can then fly into an air base in the said country (and rotate out of theatre after a while to spread the experience).

K

Note: if you also send an attache to a country at war, you will get some of the experience gained by that country's forcesin combat. Similarly, when you lend/lease equipment to a country and that equipment is used in combat, you get a bit of the experience as well. A few decent German tanks for the Italians seem to wonders for the North Africa campaign for instance...

Ah, makes sense. Thanks Kaii.
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/3/2020 11:05:48 AM

Quote:

In addition to kaii`s info, as soon as the event pops, pause the game. Facist can only send vols to aid other fascists, commies to other commies, (Democracies dont get to intervene, dont know if that has changed in latest DLC as they have reworked the SCW mechanics).

Have ready what you you intend to send, lets say a AD and an ID with a commander, ( how many Divs you can send is % of your total land forces/air forces so changes as the SCW occurs randomly between certain dates, and your production will vary during the course of the conflict and change how much you can send )highlight that command and send as vols and they take to arrive by sea at a port, higher command, the Field marshal stays in Germany but still has an effect on his Iberian theatre. Your air formations should be stacked in the nearest to Spain airfield and they fly in,, instead of fying further than they need to by being further away, make sure you dont overstack the airfield, as italy may send air and then there is a smallish Franco air force as well. Unpause and wait for Ships to deliver vols, air will be there first.

A little about min/max, which you may see used in how to play guides.

As the game gets more advanced you min max less and less as your time is sucked into the big picture, but in 36 you can use it to your advantage, by for instance picking your Ftr/Bmb formations your going to send, at start of game your first ME109 are in in use, and production has switched to them, but 278 HE 151 Ftr are your main Ftr, so its them you want to use up in Spain. So, have air group of He 151 in Spain conducting missions, while Air groups in Germany have priority on upgrades and swap out HE 151 for ME 109, this puts 151 into stores and losses in Spain are drawn from them, and new production issued to formations in Germany,this way losses are from your throw away air asset for a gain of exp for the unit, while formations in Germany get the new 109. I aim to have 75% swapped out to ME109 before i rotate it into Spain, by then enemy AA ground units have lost some of their effect from combat, and ground to air will be less of a problem, and the 151 ought to be on par with enemy air so you dont lose control of the air. Formations coming home with lots of exp gain then swap out for ME109. You ought to lose mostly obsolete air frames in Spain and still get the same exp gain than if you send your best in from day one, same principle for Bmb.

Armies are just a collection of Divs, your going to need different types of Divs for different things, so your not going to see a consensus of optimal configuration for armies, as thats not only situational dependent, ( defensive Army to hold a part of a front where you want to defend and not attack, ever, holding ports/beaches in Normandy for instance) but player style and nation specific. You will find your own style of play and how you build your armies will compliment how you want to play. For instance you want 2 Armies of 16 INF Divs as to operate under a FM, to attack Poland, these Divs must be able to attack and defend themselves, so your Div template starts with 9 inf Bttns, Eng and Art Support, German industry has been set to produce field art pieces and by 39 you have produced and equipped 2 Art Bttns for 32 ID. Your worried about France so you have a 16 ID force along the border to defend, they dont have the extra Art Bttns as they are still the TOE from 36 and you mobilised a new ID with extra Art, and a field Hospital. And you have your Pzr Army or Armies of small number of Divs so as to get more leaders who gain exp and learn new traits, of all mobile. Generals have traits ( you need a DLC for this to work in game) and they are good ( bonus to this and that) at Armor or Inf, generally not both, so it makes sense to have armies led by generals that max out bonuses. One is the winter specialist, who reduces winter attrition, so rotate him in to command for the winter period and replace in spring when your active again. On top of that your going to want specialist Divs, a breakthrough Art Div for instance to help effect a breakthrough so your armor can exploit. Usually you can manually control the specialists and your Pzr Army, while the AI runs the ground/air war for you, as you set the front line of the army and its objectives and they plan the mission and all you then need to do is give the Go order when your ready.

So to create the break in the enemy line you want to manually control the break in by the specialists formations, exploit with your manual control of the Pzrs, when you doing this later when fighting on multiple fronts your lucky if you can remember/find time without constant use of pause, to send in a Pzr force to exploit a Inf armies success.

By then, perhaps as early as France, your going to feel the manpower squeeze, German biggest problem is manpower, and think about reducing ID Inf Bttns to 6, add in AT and mobile Art, Recce Reg etc so as to be able to field more formations as the frontage your fighting over means you need more units, but try and keep the units ability to sustain losses which is what Inf Bttns are really good at, this will become clear when you face SU as it can rotate units during combat and burn out heavier German formations in the process despite the disparity in combat values as loss of unit organisation rakes up from continual combat, while increases when rotated into reserve.

Another downside of Armies with ID and AD is that the AD will outpace the ID and the AI, who ends up running what you have planned most of the time after Poland, can suffer more than it ought because its plan is set but the resources are moving at different speeds so dilutes the combat power, very upsetting to lose more than youn need because of this.

lastly if your going to restart often to get it right, do your economic planning, tech choices etc and save before running in real time and then just reload this start position so as not to do all that stuff again when you restart.

When your feeling comfortable with the game, i highly recommend the black ice mod, take a look at how much more in depth the game is, at every level.

[Read More]
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/4/2020 6:31:00 AM

Quote:

I dont think this sound, leaving aside the lost bonus from MEFO bills.

From the guide "Construction: Build 3+3 refineries, around 12 civilian factories and 1 silo."

If your going to go to war in 36 by use of DOW to gain Czech, you will get that nations civ and mil factories if you win, its population, except the Sudentenland German provinces which are added as core German provinces and are pop that do need the consumer luxuries from civ factories to prevent civil unrest and strikes at factories, the rest and conquered peoples, are held in line by occupation policies and garrisons, so civ factories gained are pure profit as you have more than you need for the German pop.

If you going to DOW in 36, you need all the mil putout you can find.

Civilian factory cost 10800 Output 5 per day
Military factory cost 7200 Output 4.5 per day

If built on same infrastructure value province.

Assign 10 civ factories to produce a civ factory.10800/50=216 days.
Assign 10 civ factories to produce a Mil factory.7200/50=144 days.

Mil production output gain from time difference.724.5=324 Mil production output, at that point in time the 50 civ factory output has increased to 55.

To convert 1 civ factory to mil factory production takes 4000 output, which is 72 days.

So to expand the mil output by a single factory requires 10 later 11 civ factories, dropping back to 10 to convert one of them 288 days.

In the same time period, it could have had 144 days output from mil factory giving it 144 4.5=648 output.
littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/6/2020 12:13:21 PM

Awesome, once again you've given me plenty to chew on, Nick. Thanks!

I have restarted as Germany. National focus: Rhineland. Researching Basic Machine Tools, Construction I, Electro Mech Engineering, MG 08 & Minen. Just starting to organize my forces - Going to start with assigning all infantry under Von Bock and all armor/mobile under Rommel. I have set a war goal for Poland and have placed all infantry on the border. Armor is spread around Germany right now but will plan to have them attack along with the infantry during the invasion.

I have 10 civ factories being built and 5 military. I have 24 infantry divisions in production (most if not all will eventually be placed on the France border, 12 panzers and 6 motorized to fill up Rommels army. Not all of my divisions have enough equipment yet to be produced but hoping the 5 factories will rectify this.

Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/6/2020 12:52:38 PM

Quote:
Awesome, once again you've given me plenty to chew on, Nick. Thanks!

I have restarted as Germany. National focus: Rhineland. Researching Basic Machine Tools, Construction I, Electro Mech Engineering, MG 08 & Minen. Just starting to organize my forces - Going to start with assigning all infantry under Von Bock and all armor/mobile under Rommel. I have set a war goal for Poland and have placed all infantry on the border. Armor is spread around Germany right now but will plan to have them attack along with the infantry during the invasion.

I have 10 civ factories being built and 5 military. I have 24 infantry divisions in production (most if not all will eventually be placed on the France border, 12 panzers and 6 motorized to fill up Rommels army. Not all of my divisions have enough equipment yet to be produced but hoping the 5 factories will rectify this.

Have fun, it will take a long time to get your troops out and in game that way, try and stagger them instead, waves of formations, try building 5 and hover over the reruit tab to see how long before the current industry will equip them, get manpower high formations out first, you can always disband them later so as to free up manpower, so they get in game, as you need Armed forces to be certain thresholds to allow the political actions, Anschlaus for instance requires a certain army strength, something to play around with as your play through goes ahead. Check your logistics tab and see the equipment deficit, red number, green is surplus, and then check the daily output tab in production so as to get a feel for what factory to assign to what equipment.

Instead of creation of more Pzer Divs of the bat, and you expect to be ready for Poland in late 39, your going to have a newer Pzr as your MBT the Pzr III, which you need to invent through tech tree and then produce and then assign in Bttns to a Pzr Div, prob to replace a Pzr I or II Bttn. Your set up to build Pzr II to replace Pzr 1, so new Pzr Divs need 00s of them to become operational, no Pzr 1 is being produced at start.

If you build no new Pzr Div, the existing factory builds a Pzr II and swaps it out for a Pzr 1 in a formation already in game, this goes into stock. Bee line the national focus to get German SU tech sharing in Armour, you get a massive single bonus to a tank tech so can get next gen Pzr in game quickly even with its ahead of time penalty.

This stock is useful, there is a 40 odd day tank tech you can do to get the Wespe or early Marder into production, all this needs is a Pzr 1 in stock to convert, conversion ( look at the production UI, its a green circle on the left bottom of the item meaning it can be converted from existing stocks) this is re purposing of stocks into assets at a reduced industrial cost. You can re purpose the Pzr 1 instead of having a stock build up to build a new Pzr Div, and when you gain some Army exp from techs or combat in Spain you can design a new Pzr Div Template with either Wespe SP Art, or Marder SP AT, look at the stats increase on these to see how useful they are.

Mil factory will convert these quite quick. Of course you start with 00s of Pzr 1 but you really want to have III by Poland, so how to best use the I is a personal choice, you could have converted them all, into SP Art Bttns by Poland, or have them as Pzr I Bttns looking at the stats is only a part of it, its how/what you want the Div to function as well.

Another thing you might consider is that Marder AT Bttns look kinda nice in an early war Infantry ID ( the ones you ok with using to invade with rather than defend with) as you dont need to invent the 37mm AT line and produce them, as you get a better return from the Marders, so later you invent the 37 and dont produce it, just move onto the next generation that will be better than Marders and then switch to that.

littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/6/2020 3:12:25 PM

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Starting out with 5 infantry and 5 motorized so far. Will wait on the Panzers until I can get the later model.

Well it looks like choosing Rhineland has backfired.. Both France and the UK weren't too happy about it and have declared war! France is already invading me.. I'm thinking of either canceling the invasion of Poland and shifting my forces to defend, or starting over.. I'm leaning towards starting over. I don't think I"m ready for a full war with France and UK and I'm afraid they'll squash me.. lol. Perhaps the Rhineland wasn't the smartest focus to start with?
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/7/2020 5:37:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Starting out with 5 infantry and 5 motorized so far. Will wait on the Panzers until I can get the later model.

Well it looks like choosing Rhineland has backfired.. Both France and the UK weren't too happy about it and have declared war! France is already invading me.. I'm thinking of either canceling the invasion of Poland and shifting my forces to defend, or starting over.. I'm leaning towards starting over. I don't think I"m ready for a full war with France and UK and I'm afraid they'll squash me.. lol. Perhaps the Rhineland wasn't the smartest focus to start with?

Ive not played the latest game version and not played vanilla for some time, but what i think has roughly happened is the following. I have some free time end of week so Will fire up vanilla and look around some.

Under normal conditions, in historical settings option, France DOW followed by UK when the Rhineland event chain initiated by Germany ticks over, is world tension (WT), 2/3% plus 5% for the Rhineland events, plus a number value on both short term AI and long term AI calcs on its chances. By that i mean if you are deployed on the Rhineland, it does a force level comparison locally for the event, the Ai thinks you have a good/bad chance to enforce your political action. If your total armed forces is higher than its, then it wont fancy its chances. So France would usually back down, around a 5% chance to go to war, Uk hard coded at 10% to follow France to war in this event chain, plus an unknown number from whatever the total armed forces ratio looked like. Ive maybe seen France Dow from this event twice in years of plays.

What it looks like to me is you justified a war on Poland, this avoids any historical event chains that build up to wars, and just allows you to DOW anyone you feel like, and is used to avoid the event chains, the cost of that is +25 WT, ( that also unlocks all sorts of techs the allies dont have access to research as they are all war time/high WT techs) and you left the Rhineland empty of forces, so when the Rhineland event ticked over, WT went 25+5+3 plus force levels, in this case France thought it could resist you on the Rhine locally, and because your justification on Poland adds the Polish armed forces to Frances so it thought it could win war against you. You were probably 10 times as likely to get a war response from France from the event, and UK maybe twice as likely. Your national willingness to go to war is prob very low in 36 and this may also be a modifier. Event changes are readable text files so you can get basic % outcome chances from any event chain, but the value of any modifiers requires a decompiling the game files to see the maths involved, and thats not easy to do.

When France dont back down your given a chance to back away from war over Rhineland, and you lose some political power, there are event chains for this kind of thing, ive seen it occur over suddentalnd when i changed my mind and backed down, it prompts the democratic leaders in Germany to assassinate AH, if it succeeds then a coup event chain can start and a civil war erupts in German between fascists and monarchists, so you see, it can always get worse...
littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/7/2020 9:10:59 AM

Well I went ahead and started over from where the Rhineland just completed and this time France/UK haven't declared war.. Yet anyway.

Back to the Spanish Civil war. I'm trying to intervene and side with Nationalist Spain but the option to send an Expeditionary Force is not available. Reason - They must be part of the same faction. If I mouse over the button to invite to faction, it shows they will not accept.. What did I do wrong?
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/7/2020 9:34:54 AM

Quote:
Well I went ahead and started over from where the Rhineland just completed and this time France/UK haven't declared war.. Yet anyway.

Back to the Spanish Civil war. I'm trying to intervene and side with Nationalist Spain but the option to send an Expeditionary Force is not available. Reason - They must be part of the same faction. If I mouse over the button to invite to faction, it shows they will not accept.. What did I do wrong?

Without seeing the save game file i cant be sure, did you make sure you clicked on a Fascist Franco Spain province, and opened diplomatic options with Franco and not clicked on a Republican Spain province and opened up diplomacy with the communist government?.
littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/7/2020 11:17:10 AM

Yes I've done what you outline.. It's Franco. Says I need to be part of the same faction or be at war alongside them. I found this reason below online. Sounds like my issue:

[Read More]

Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/7/2020 11:50:27 AM

Quote:
Yes I've done what you outline.. It's Franco. Says I need to be part of the same faction or be at war alongside them. I found this reason below online. Sounds like my issue:

[Read More]

That link is for Hoi 3, have you asked on the Hoi IV forum?, i dont think is a DLC feature, like mil attache requires waking the tiger, and is part of the basic game.

Has the Spain civil war event happened?, you cannot intervene until it fires. Try looking at latest DLC content, ( Is Franco not a fascist in some circumstances?) as it has a lot of rework for Spain and its civil war.

If all else fails you can revert to a prior build ( if your on steam its easy to do) before la resistance and see if intervention is working under that build, if it is, then the DLC Spain content is causing the issue and may even be a bug.

littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/7/2020 12:44:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:

[Read More]

That link is for Hoi 3, i dont think is a DLC feature, like mil attache requires waking the tiger, and is part of the basic game.

Has the Spain civil war event happened?, you cannot intervene until it fires. Try looking at latest DLC content as it has a lot of rework for Spain and its civil war.

Wow oops on the link.. But the Civil War has happened. It must be a DLC thing like you mentioned. I read up some more and I do indeed need to be at war with nationalist spain to be able to aid the republic. I have justified a war goal but it's going to take 340 days.. The civil war will be long over by then I'm sure. Oh well. I found this video that outlines the same scenario. He has to declare war first, however it will only take him 60 days to justify the goal.. Any ideas why? Maybe because the world tension is so high.

[Read More]
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/7/2020 12:57:50 PM

[Read More]

Jump to around 5 mins in and make sure you seeing and doing what he is doing, as he sends vol Ground and air to Spain.
Brian W
Atlanta
GA USA
Posted on: 4/8/2020 9:30:13 PM

[Read More]
littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/9/2020 9:13:36 AM

Quote:
[Read More]

Jump to around 5 mins in and make sure you seeing and doing what he is doing, as he sends vol Ground and air to Spain.

Yep that seems to have done it! Sent over two panzer divisions and a couple air wings. While the planes are fighting it out, waiting for the tanks to arrive, they are gaining a ton of air experience.

Panzers just arrived. We'll see how this goes.
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/9/2020 11:03:02 AM

Brian W sorted my bad link for you to see, so im glad your now up and running in Spain.

Dont forget, any forces sent to Spain lose 5% of their equipment when they come home, and if you look at the reliability of the equipment your sending, your going to lose more in movement in bad ground than you will in combat. Check the combat log for Iberia and it tells you combat and non combat losses as they occur, and keeps record, check on the unit itself, hover over TOE/health bars and it tells you when the units expects to be at full TOE/health/organisation. Also look at the number of air units you have, and next to it is how many you can have, so make sure you have as many as your allowed in Spain to get the most exp to the most units. Check on your commander, and see what traits he acquires, ie if you fight in urban/hills he acquires a trait for urban/hills and so on.
littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/9/2020 2:43:53 PM

Thanks, will keep that in mind. It's interesting but during my fighting in Spain, my war goal for Poland finished. I left my two divisions to fight in Spain while I concentrated on the Poland invasion for a while. Eventually I got a message that my volunteers were heading back to Germany.. No idea why. Maybe they felt their work was finished? lol. Either way, Poland is now part of Germany.. They surrendered on May 9th 1937 after a 7 month struggle. The Spanish civil war is still going on so I'm thinking of sending two fresh divisions again while I plan my next invasion. I'm thinking Czechoslovakia is next.. They're democratic, and look to be relatively easy prey.
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/10/2020 5:35:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks, will keep that in mind. It's interesting but during my fighting in Spain, my war goal for Poland finished. I left my two divisions to fight in Spain while I concentrated on the Poland invasion for a while. Eventually I got a message that my volunteers were heading back to Germany.. No idea why. Maybe they felt their work was finished? lol. Either way, Poland is now part of Germany.. They surrendered on May 9th 1937 after a 7 month struggle. The Spanish civil war is still going on so I'm thinking of sending two fresh divisions again while I plan my next invasion. I'm thinking Czechoslovakia is next.. They're democratic, and look to be relatively easy prey.

If the SCW is still ongoing, the reason your 2 Divs came home is because they went out of supply at some point, the Div org went to 0 during combat and they became pows, and sent back, prob happened while you were concentrating on Poland and left them un ordered. Sounds like your learning a lot, have fun.

Did you work out what you need to do to make Poland surrender?, once you do, you can effect that in 2/3 weeks effort, so you can do the war quickly and get less experience but gain its economy, resources and have more time to drive down resistance, or take longer and gain more exp for longer in doing it.
littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/10/2020 10:27:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:

If the SCW is still ongoing, the reason your 2 Divs came home is because they went out of supply at some point, the Div org went to 0 during combat and they became pows, and sent back, prob happened while you were concentrating on Poland and left them un ordered. Sounds like your learning a lot, have fun.

Did you work out what you need to do to make Poland surrender?, once you do, you can effect that in 2/3 weeks effort, so you can do the war quickly and get less experience but gain its economy, resources and have more time to drive down resistance, or take longer and gain more exp for longer in doing it.

Ah yep, the SCW divisions probably ran out of supply and orders. As far as the Poland surrender, does this have to do with choosing more states when justifying the war goal? I only chose one because it took the least amount of time and political power to justify.. But I'm sure led to the 7 month struggle..
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/10/2020 10:53:14 AM

Quote:

Ah yep, the SCW divisions probably ran out of supply and orders. As far as the Poland surrender, does this have to do with choosing more states when justifying the war goal? I only chose one because it took the least amount of time and political power to justify.. But I'm sure led to the 7 month struggle..

[Read More]

Find the Vp locations on the map and if you want a quick war, take enough to force capitulation, its called a warscore and casualties suffered/inflicted are part of it, but you can chop Poland with its large manpower reserves by taking enough Vp cities rather than wade through its Armed forces, also the more you fight over a province the greater the damage to infrastructure, this takes civ factory to rebuild, and supplies have to cross over the infrastructure of the province, so that can a pain as more damage is less supplies moving through in the same time frame.

Once you comfortable with doing Spain and Poland, and you get more men in the field, which includes air, your going to take the lowlands and France at some point, and your going to have a couple of million men in arms by then, and its this infrastructure limit to supply that will cause you problems, as you will tend to solve military problems by throwing more assets into combat to over match them by weight of material, and the limit of supply through province infrastructure is what will hamper you till you work out how to get enough supply to the forces consuming it.
Brian W
Atlanta
GA USA
Posted on: 4/10/2020 11:03:20 AM

My son wrote this up. He's an avid HOI IV player (he's 16). This is his strategy. I think I might have to start the game up this weekend.

Germany 1936 Husky v1.9.1 La Resistance DLC (I will not cover Intelligence since that's a separate topic in of itself).

This requires you to do a lot on your own, but it gives the most strategic start possible
I won't cover navy, it's optional and too in depth Things you need to get for total war
· A strong air force of mostly fighters and a good amount of bombers
· Heavy tank divisions backed with light tanks, I recommend 30-40 widths for this (This is to breakthrough the enemy's defenses and to beat other tanks)
· Infantry with 30 division width minimum backed with artillery and some mechanized
· Fuel Silo, to keep a good amount of oil
· Lots of military/civilian factories
· A navy is optional, but if you want to beat Britain you need paratroopers if you're not going to compete with their navy
· Align Hungary and Bulgaria to join the Axis

Army

Starting off you have 30 divisions: 24 infantry, 3 panzer-divisons, a mechanized, a horse, and a mountaineer.
Take the 24 infantry and put them into a group under General Erwin von Witzleben, he has Infantry Officer so he'll make it a lot easier to gain Infantry Leader (+10% Infantry Defense) and than to Infantry Expert (+10% Infantry Attack)
Next I recommend you take 2 panzers and set them off to the side and assign Rommel to them. With the other 4 divisons change them to a template that you can afford at the moment, but make sure not to delete them.
Gunther von Kluge is the best Field Marshal for the time being
Make sure you try to make/improve divisions whenever you can, you need man power in the field in order to do Anchluss and other focuses.

Research

· Research should usually start out with...
· Engineering Electronic Mechanical Engineering
· Industry Basic Machine Tools, and Construction I
· Land Doctrine Delay

Industry

Focus on civilian factories in provinces with +80% infrastructure for right now, this will total about 14 factories, you will make military factories later.
For production focus on Infantry Equipment, Support Equipment, Artillery, Light Tanks, Heavy Tanks, Motorized, Fighters, CAS, and Tactical Bombers. Prioritize Heavy Tanks to get the Efficiency Modifier higher as soon as possible.
Trade for chromium from Russia, it'll make more heavy tanks

Air Force

Collect all your planes into a airport and make new divisions, set aside the Naval Bombers and Transport Planes. Take the tactical bombers and split them into 8 groups of 35 and move them to another airport. You'll use them for the Spanish Civil War.
Do flight exercises with your fighters/tactical bombers until they're maxed out.
Keep whatever experience you get and use it wisely, air experience should go to fighters to make them more reliable, have higher range, and other production upgrades.

Focus Tree

In your focus tree go down the Four Year Plan focus and do those in order to boost your industry.
Go down Autarky first, Hermann Goring-Werke, Recihsautobahn, Kdf-Wagen, Extra Research, and later Rhineland when you feel prepared.

Advisors/Decisions

Get Martin Bormann (Silent Workhorse) as soon as you can
Get Rudolf Hess (Silent Workhorse) also as soon as you can
Cancel MEFO bills, don't Renew them
Anti-Democratic Raids will improve your stability so I recommend you do that. Don't ban democratic parties since it'll just lower stability.

Same with communism

Get chief of army Franz Halder (Army Offense Expert) before/during the Spanish Civil War
Demanding increaed Duth Trade isn't bad, I recommend you stay above the UK at all times.
Institute Press Censorship is always good.

Spanish Civil War

The war kicks off sometime around July, could be earlier or later.
Send the 2 panzer divisons with Rommel and air volunters. Send as many fighters as you can, it will usually be 5 groups of 35 fighters. Set them to constantly focus on Air Superiority.
When your panzers arrive in Spain just focus on encirclements, this will give good experience for traits. (If you want you can attach the air wings to Rommel)
The planes are used to get Ace Pilots who improve the stats of air wings.

Building the Reich

Anschluss
You need 500k man power in the field to do this.
After annexing Austria you'll gain around 9 divisons, change them to your default infantry divison.
Building gain will vary but it averages in about 15 factories.
The population is a total of 6.7 million population on all core states

Reassert Eastern Claims
While building your army you can take Memel from Lithuania, do this before Czechoslavakia
The most you'll get is 2 civilian factories and 150k pop on a core state

Demand Sudetenland
You need 725000 fielded man power to do this, this is exponentially better than Befriend Czechoslovakia in every way.
You'll gain about 4 buildings, they vary from military, to civilian, to fuel
You also gain around 3 million pop on a core state

First Vienna Award
It just gives Southern Slovakia to Hungary, you need to do this to annex the rest of Czechoslovakia.

Fate of Czechoslovakia
You need 750k fielded man power in order to do this.
You will be given a few options, the best is to annex it but keep Slovakia as a puppet. Hungary will gain Southern Slovakia while Eastern and Western Slovakia are made a puppet.
You gain around 13 or so factories and a total of 7.35 million population on occupied states and 850k population on a cored state

Second Vienna Award
Three options, I recommend you give Hungary Northern Transylvania and not all of it. This will avoid conflict at all costs.

Demand Slovenia
If they accept you gain 1.18 million population occupied and 2 factories on average.

First Ljubjana Award
Yugoslavia will be chopped up by Hungary, Bulgaria, and Italy.

Fate of Yugoslavia
Three options, the best is to puppet Croatia, and annex the rest.

Second Ljubljana Award
Best option is to bind Bulgaria in order to get them to join the Axis
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/10/2020 11:13:34 AM

Nice list, he knows what he is doing/wants and how to get it done. Only missing thing is Trade, when you trade with another country they drift together politically, so if you want Romanian oil through trade, you also start to bind to towards fascism and make them easier to gain as an ally, you dont have to worry about trade interdiction as its all over land, but the opposite is if you court Argentina to bring them into alliance, your convoys in wartime will be slaughtered before them reach home port.

If you fire it up yourself, you may want to consider having mil theorist as first/second choice as adviser, as he gives land doctrine 10% bonus to speed on future doctine inventions, ( instead of being mobile warfare, you can also swap to fire superiority as Germany as both are viable options)and a small Army xp gain per day, first choice might be a industrialist to get factories etc built 10% quicker, you can gain plenty of Political points from AH speeches and the Rhineland event chain, so gaining PP in the short term is not a problem.
littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/11/2020 10:33:38 AM

Awesome Brian, tell your son thanks.

Well I went back to try and take Poland faster by concentrating on VP cities. Did not seem to make much of a difference, although instead of the war taking 7 months, it took 6.

I think part of it is due to having low experience, early military tech, etc. Now that I have a ton of experience, new equipment, not to mention multiple ace pilots now, my next war will be quicker.
littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/12/2020 9:16:15 AM

Quote:

my next war will be quicker.

My next war was quicker alright! As soon as I declared war on Czechoslovakia, both France and the UK declared war on me. My 24 infantry and 7 mobile divisions from the Poland invasion (along with 10 infantry I had been building to defend Germany) were no match for France.. They steam rolled right over western germany.. Once they started closing in on Berlin, I'd had enough.. I'm thinking I should wait another year or so to build up my forces and tech before I get involved in another war. Also build some forts and anti aircraft, especially on my western border with France..
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/12/2020 10:48:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:

my next war will be quicker.

My next war was quicker alright! As soon as I declared war on Czechoslovakia, both France and the UK declared war on me. My 24 infantry and 7 mobile divisions from the Poland invasion (along with 10 infantry I had been building to defend Germany) were no match for France.. They steam rolled right over western germany.. Once they started closing in on Berlin, I'd had enough.. I'm thinking I should wait another year or so to build up my forces and tech before I get involved in another war. Also build some forts and anti aircraft, especially on my western border with France..

Check on diplomatic tab, it will tell you who has guaranteed a country and will come in on their side, it will also tell you what the nation is inventing if your code breaking is high enough, sometimes you may want to get to war with them before that happens, or got war with SU for instance if its in the chaos of the purges. Something else you can do with the time between doing interesting stuff, gives you more immersion when you know whats going in other countries.

If you control the Air space with ftrs, then you wont need AA in a province, but then you need radar to help find and intercept them or multiple air groups that overlap with cover, otoh AA upgrade for free to whatever best AA gun you invent.

Good luck with your next game!
littlepowell

SC USA
Posted on: 4/15/2020 12:26:44 PM

Thanks, I've started to build radars in western Germany. I also finished the Westwall focus which grants some free forts on the border with France (and a construction speed bonus for more.)

I'm keeping with my strategy of building up my military before I start anymore wars. It's now March of 1938. I've created a 40w infantry division template, 40w heavy tank, and 40w motorized. Having a tough time producing enough equipment to supply all of them (especially the heavy tanks and AA support) but I'm constructing a ton of military factories so hopefully that will be resolved soon. Or maybe I bit off more than I can chew? I always hear others suggest that 40w is the only way to go, but man thats a ton of equipment!

Edit - An obscene amount of military factories did the trick on my equipment shortages.. lol. And now I just finished research on the Panzer III and going to save up experience (from training) to build a 20w div template to start (will build a 40w after I go to war again and can gain the experience.)

Now Italy has joined the Axis.. It's June 1939 and I think I'm ready to start justifying war with Czechoslovakia.. Look out France, won't be so easy to steamroll me this time!
Page 1 of 2 (Page:   1    2 )

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC