User:  
Password:  

(1939-1945) WWII
Page 2 of 2 (Page:  1    2  )
IOW,United kingdom  UK
Any Hearts of Iron players?
4/16/2020 6:15:53 AM
Quote:
Thanks, I've started to build radars in western Germany. I also finished the Westwall focus which grants some free forts on the border with France (and a construction speed bonus for more.)

I'm keeping with my strategy of building up my military before I start anymore wars. It's now March of 1938. I've created a 40w infantry division template, 40w heavy tank, and 40w motorized. Having a tough time producing enough equipment to supply all of them (especially the heavy tanks and AA support) but I'm constructing a ton of military factories so hopefully that will be resolved soon. Or maybe I bit off more than I can chew? I always hear others suggest that 40w is the only way to go, but man thats a ton of equipment!

Edit - An obscene amount of military factories did the trick on my equipment shortages.. lol. And now I just finished research on the Panzer III and going to save up experience (from training) to build a 20w div template to start (will build a 40w after I go to war again and can gain the experience.)

Now Italy has joined the Axis.. It's June 1939 and I think I'm ready to start justifying war with Czechoslovakia.. Look out France, won't be so easy to steamroll me this time!

Good luck, let us know how it all goes.
littlepowell
SC USA
4/17/2020 10:35:37 AM
Well this time Czechoslovakia fell pretty easily and France did not attack (on land at least.) Basically everyone has declared war on me now, France, UK, Australia, Canada, NZ, SA, and the list goes on.. At first I set my sights on France, but their eastern border is too heavily fortified. So I decided to take Belgium first and then launch a spearhead to Paris from the north.. However, Belgium has proven to be a lot stronger than I realized! Or maybe its because they are getting reinforcements from all of the other powers. They have air superiority, and my attacks are failing miserably..

Once again, I think I will reload my save from after taking CZ, slow down, re-organize, build more 40w divisions. Fingers crossed France or anyone else doesn't invade me before I can build up again!
----------------------------------
http://www.scourgeofwar.com/ - Historical tactical combat games for PC.
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom  UK
4/17/2020 11:31:17 AM
Quote:
Well this time Czechoslovakia fell pretty easily and France did not attack (on land at least.) Basically everyone has declared war on me now, France, UK, Australia, Canada, NZ, SA, and the list goes on.. At first I set my sights on France, but their eastern border is too heavily fortified. So I decided to take Belgium first and then launch a spearhead to Paris from the north.. However, Belgium has proven to be a lot stronger than I realized! Or maybe its because they are getting reinforcements from all of the other powers. They have air superiority, and my attacks are failing miserably..

Once again, I think I will reload my save from after taking CZ, slow down, re-organize, build more 40w divisions. Fingers crossed France or anyone else doesn't invade me before I can build up again!

If the allies have air superiority you Bmbrs should stay down until you can get it over the regions you want to fight over, otherwise you have to eat heavy losses in Bmbrs

Looks like your having your moneys worth out of the game, more fun losing at a good game than winning easily at a bad game!. All Uk dominions will always come in when Uk does, if you have subs out, you may get lucky and chop a Div or 2 as they come to Uk before being committed to Europe. Chessy way to play as the AI is not great at assigning enough force protection for convoys, but when you learning the game its almost impossible not to want to do it.

Belgium should have been neutral, so as soon as you DOW/invade it, the Uk France will push up to hold the line with them, at least in theory this present opportunity to sickle cut the BEF and large numbers of the French, have you set your Front line for each Army, and maxed out their plan of attack to get all the combat bonus from following the plan of attack?. Are you Pzr Divs immune to enemy inf AT fire?, look for the icon in the combat display to see if you are, if so you Pzrs should have easy time of it, if not, it gets harder for them to break the line on their own and have to have Inf support.

Your approach is sound, break Belgium before turning to Paris, and the supply infrastructure nodes allow you to generate more supply lines for that phase than a head on approach. Dont forget if Italy is allied to you, you can send forces into their Terr to aid them, once you obtain the diplomatic rights to do so, helping Italy in Africa is always a good idea.
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom  UK
4/18/2020 9:19:33 AM
If you going back to a save game, make sure your economy is set up to be ready for any new tech you invent, instead of maxing out the 15 factories in a production line, spread the same number over two production lines, each moves to greater efficiency over time and produces more. If you invent a new asset, you then start at base efficiency levels with a new factory making it, if otoh, you switch to a second production line, with the new model, you just take a small hit to efficiency, and the new models can be assigned to new or existing formations, replace existing old models, or held as stock, and the first production line keeps turning out old models so you dont run down the on hand inventory, nothing worse than being at war, losing say Me109s at a high rate, invent a newer better one, and swap the 15 factory from old to new, and have reduced output from each factory till you get back to peak output, and since they will cost more your still going to produce less and your losses could be far higher than you output of new models, so your number of ME 109s can drop.

With two production lines you keep one on old models to help keep numbers produced up, while the other gets better at producing the new model, when it does, then swap the first production line over to new model as well.
littlepowell
SC USA
4/18/2020 2:03:57 PM
Man, the world is in chaos... lol. So as I was re-organizing for my attack on Belgium, Hungry joins the war against me and starts to invade my southern border. I send one of my armies reserved for defense to my southern border to meet them.

Meanwhile, as I start setting up my front lines at Belgium, the Dutch declare war! I was able to take Amsterdam pretty easily and the Dutch surrender. So while my western border is safe (for now) I start concentrating more forces against Hungry and start a mass assault.. Once again, they get a lot of help from other countries (like Belgium did on my last save,) and they prove to be too strong. Fuel is a major problem. Every time I get my tanks, motorized, or air involved, I run out fast..

I decide to call off the attacks and go on the defense against Hungry, and that's when France decides to attack! Now I start to have major production issues, air superiority continues to be an issue, not to mention my Navy is getting manhandled in the English channel, I'm afraid I've lost once again... Oh well, still having a lot of fun!
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom  UK
4/18/2020 2:23:59 PM
Quote:
Man, the world is in chaos... lol. So as I was re-organizing for my attack on Belgium, Hungry joins the war against me and starts to invade my southern border. I send one of my armies reserved for defense to my southern border to meet them.

Meanwhile, as I start setting up my front lines at Belgium, the Dutch declare war! I was able to take Amsterdam pretty easily and the Dutch surrender. So while my western border is safe (for now) I start concentrating more forces against Hungry and start a mass assault.. Once again, they get a lot of help from other countries (like Belgium did on my last save,) and they prove to be too strong. Fuel is a major problem. Every time I get my tanks, motorized, or air involved, I run out fast..

I decide to call off the attacks and go on the defense against Hungry, and that's when France decides to attack! Now I start to have major production issues, air superiority continues to be an issue, not to mention my Navy is getting manhandled in the English channel, I'm afraid I've lost once again... Oh well, still having a lot of fun!

Wow!, thats sounds like fun at least, now you know to either create more stocks of fuel, and/or increase you production of it, in line with how many more units of fuel hogs your going to produce. Are you running Ftrs day or day and night?, makes a lot of difference to fuel consumption.
littlepowell
SC USA
4/20/2020 10:28:29 AM
Quote:

Wow!, thats sounds like fun at least, now you know to either create more stocks of fuel, and/or increase you production of it, in line with how many more units of fuel hogs your going to produce. Are you running Ftrs day or day and night?, makes a lot of difference to fuel consumption.

Yeah I don't think I've paid enough attention to fuel. I have been researching the technologies (synthetic etc.) but still haven't given it much thought. That will need to change because I think its the root cause of my problems right now. And yes, I have been running Ftrs day and night.
littlepowell
SC USA
4/26/2020 12:29:36 PM
First time I've been able to play all week. I decided instead of starting over, I will re-group, concentrate on production, address my fuel issue, go on the defensive against Hungry, and invade Belgium as planned. I was mistaken about France attacking for now at least (looked to be some small scale skirmishing.)

Belgium capitulated after I took Brussels, however since they are fighting alongside the other major allies, they were not defeated.. When I started concentrating on other things, somehow they regained Brussels, and now my garrison forces are completely out of supply (so its not possible to take it back).. Looks like I will have to move them back to friendly territory until they can be re-supplied.

This is one thing that kind of anoys me about the game.. There are plenty of pop-ups for political related events, but no notifications for when you're being attacked.. Would be nice to get a field report when Belgium started taking back Brussels.

Production continues to be a major problem. I'm in the red on steel and no one left to trade with to gain more.. I think I may have built too many military factories and not enough civilian.. So I'm thinking of converting some and building more civ. One positive is that research is going great--Just finished mechanized infantry. Should have some fun with that.
littlepowell
SC USA
5/11/2020 10:54:57 AM
So I felt it wasn't worth it moving my forces back from Belgium to re-supply and re-group, thought I would just try the invasion again. This time instead of calling off the dogs after they capitulated, I made sure to take every last territory. They are a relentless little nation--it was a tough fight but eventually they were no more.. Now I have placed all of my western forces on the border with France and will invade once I've had time to beef them up some. Also need some time to deal with my production problems as well as Hungry who continues to harass my southern border. I've pretty much given up on trying to gain air superiority. I have radars galore, hundreds of fighters/bombers with ace pilots.. I think on my next game I will need to build more air wings early, focus more on air tech (which I have all but ignored.)

Update - Czechoslovakia is another nation that refuses to give up completely. There are little pockets of CZ regions on my southern border north of Hungary. I'm currently trying to pick them off one at a time. They are heavily fortified so it's a real pain! Why can't a nation just surrender? The resistance is futile.. lol.
littlepowell
SC USA
5/14/2020 11:30:30 AM
Well operation "CZ mop-up" was a success. I could see the forces I was fighting were all UK, France, Hungarian, etc. Now the border with Hungary is secure for now.

I'm feeling pretty good about the state of things. My forces are formidable - My West Wing consists of 65 inf div, 20 motorized (and growing), 15 20-40w Panzers. East Wing 40 inf, and other mixed forces from my allies. About 1.8 million in man power. I think I'll take a couple months to re-group, re-train, repair. Then it's time to take France.
littlepowell
SC USA
6/1/2020 11:26:54 AM
Had some time to play over the weekend. I decided before I take on France, I would finish what I started with Hungary with a renewed invasion and secure my southern border. Just as I was starting to invade, I noticed some fighting on the northern coast of Germany. The United States had launched a massive invasion! Now I'm toast.. I don't think starting from a recent save is going to cut it anymore. It's time to start from scratch taking in account a few critical lessons learned.

Note to self when playing Germany:
Lesson 1 - Don't declare war before you are ready. As soon as world tension starts to rise, more nations start to hate you.
Lesson 2 - Make a bigger effort to make friends. I had Italy (but they didn't seem to help much) and a few minor nations. I also eventually got Japan, but once again, if they were helping me, they didn't show it much..
Lesson 3 - Don't forget about civilian factory production while building your military. So many times while beefing up my military, I would run out of rubber or steel etc. and had to rely on trade with nations that hate me.
Lesson 4 - Don't neglect your air forces. I don't think I lead a single invasion with air superiority. Need to dedicate more research and production of fighters & bombers.
Lesson 5 - Navy? What is Navy? lol.. That's how I felt the whole game. I built ships/subs, but I always received messages about losing battles, and really have no idea how effective or ineffective they were. Need to dedicate more research, production, and study up on how to use them effectively.

littlepowell
SC USA
6/2/2020 10:26:34 AM
It's kind of cool how things played out pretty historically. Germany invades Poland, starts to spread terror throughout Europe, and the rest of the world eventually said "NOPE!"

Page 2 of 2 (Page:  1    2  )

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC