MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1939-1945) WWII
Author
Jacksonville
FL USA
Non-Divisional Unit Histories for WWII Artillery Units
Posted on: 4/8/2020 11:14:02 AM

Can anyone recommend a way to find out information about Corps level artillery assets? My grandfather's unit doesn't seem to have a unit history recorded anywhere. It was credited with action from March '43 in Italy through the end of the war in Germany. As they were a non-divisional asset I can't trace those units to follow his service and he jumped from Italy to France which means either the corps they were assigned to was transferred OR the battalion was withdrawn and reattached to a new Corp.

He served with the 194th FA Bn. Part of the issue is that it has zero relation to the current National Guard unit which was created in '47
I know they went into the line in Nov of '43 in Italy and fought through to the beginning of the Apinnese campaign but then they transfer to France in Nov. of '44. So without any specific unit history, I'm trying to determine which Corps histories I could use to try to understand his service. It could be VI corps since it fought in both Italy and then in all the same battles in France through Germany, they just would have had to be unattached and reattached between when VI Corps left for Operation Dragoon and then reattached in November becoming part of 7th Army? My grandfather also HATED Patton so did the unit end up in the 3rd Army somehow?

You see how confusing tracing a non-division artillery battalions record is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Scott
----------------------------------
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
Posted on: 4/8/2020 11:24:49 AM

Does this help?

[Read More]
The 1st Battalion 194th Field Artillery was originally formed on 26 February 1943 from two other units - the 2nd Battalion 125th Field Artillery Regiment and the 1st Battalion 185th Field Artillery Regiment. Both of these units were part of the 34th Infantry Division, which was half from Minnesota and half from Iowa. This newly formed artillery battalion was equipped with 155 mm howitzers with a General Support (GS) mission to the 34th Infantry Division. Upon mobilization for World War II, the battalion turned in the 155's and received the 8 inch howitzers to better meet the needs of the division. The original motto of the 1st Battalion 194th Field Artillery was "Faithful, Formidable, and Fiery!". This motto was a composite taken from both the 2-125 FA ("Faithful") and the 1-185 FA (Formidable and Fiery). The original unit crest was also different from what it is today. It too was a composite of these two organizations, reflecting symbols of the Minnesota and Iowa National Guard.

Which they got from[Read More] which has more info.

Did you look in Peter T. Scott, United States. Army. Field Artillery Battalion, 194th book?

[Read More]
Kevin
State College
PA USA
Posted on: 4/11/2020 7:50:15 PM

I just finished researching my dad's unit, the 995th FA Bn. They were formed 8 Feb 1943 from part of the 194th at Fort Bragg. There is a notation in the 995th records of their "sister" battalion (194th) suffering 32 casualties from a jet bomb in Jan 1945. I don't know if the two battalions served close by throughout the war. In Italy (5th Army) the 995th were with the 2nd Corps and were attached to multiple FA Groups and Brigades. In France and Germany (7th Army) they were with the 6th Corps and attached to multiple FA Groups and Brigades. They never were with Patton, although when the 3rd Army on their left moved north to the Bulge, ten percent (52 men) were picked and were trucked out as infantry replacements.

I had the benefit of my dad saving a "Record of Events" that was mailed to him after the war. I then hired an independent researcher from a list on the National Archives website who found a trove of detailed information in the archives. Company Morning Reports, Monthly Historical Record Reports that document every position they were in, rounds fired, targets destroyed, etc. and photo's of the ships they took to Algeria, Italy, France and home.

The researcher I selected was Dr. John Arnold, Nicom, Inc. http://www.nicom.com/

Good luck!
17thfabn
Ohio
OH USA
Posted on: 10/25/2020 10:06:54 PM

Quote:

They never were with Patton, although when the 3rd Army on their left moved north to the Bulge, ten percent (52 men) were picked and were trucked out as infantry replacements.

Good luck!

I wonder how they picked the 52 to be transferred? Did units pick men considered to be trouble?
Withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy.

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC