MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1939-1945) WWII
Author
Oslo
 Norway
FT17 in German service
Posted on: 4/9/2020 4:30:33 PM

Came across this photo taken in my home town in Norway by German soldiers.

Surely these are FT17s being unloaded?

----------------------------------
I’m not worried about the Third World War. That’s the Third World’s problem.
Killroy63
Pinson
AL USA
FT17 in German service
Posted on: 4/9/2020 4:53:25 PM

My guess is that the Germans were using those for civil law enforcement/intimidation of the Norwegian populace.

If you have no armor at all, even a WW1 tank is pretty fearsome.
Brian Grafton
Victoria
BC Canada
FT17 in German service
Posted on: 4/9/2020 6:41:31 PM

Be interesting to know the service history of those two relics. Some random questions:
• Is it just the angle, or do they look like they're armed with the 37 mm cannon rather than the 8 mm Hotchkiss.
• There seem to be two guys on the tank with no c-caps. Could they be civilians? One, at least, appears to be in uniform, the other in a boiler suit.
• Are those shells under the tarps, boards and stones?

Cheers
Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
FT17 in German service
Posted on: 4/10/2020 8:03:39 AM

[Read More]
scoucer
Berlin
 Germany
FT17 in German service
Posted on: 4/10/2020 8:50:36 AM

May 1945. One of two British Mark V tanks taken out of the museum and used in the defence of Berlin. Both destroyed on the Berlin Lustgarten. On the right is the Berlin Cathedal. To the left is the Alte Museum.

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
FT17 in German service
Posted on: 4/10/2020 9:03:32 AM

Quote:
May 1945. One of two British Mark V tanks taken out of the museum and used in the defence of Berlin. Both destroyed on the Berlin Lustgarten. On the right is the Berlin Cathedal. To the left is the Alte Museum.

Trevor

Now thats something i never knew!.
kaii
Oslo
 Norway
FT17 in German service
Posted on: 4/10/2020 4:37:51 PM

As it looks they were both sent to the north of Norway, where they were used as static gun turrets in airfield defence. One ended up as in static coastal defence, and the remnants are still in place!IT was restored in 2007, but in 2008 someone decided it was free for all so decided to cut off major parts and take them away with them...

After restoration in 2007:

After the "raid" in 2008:

kaii
Oslo
 Norway
FT17 in German service
Posted on: 4/10/2020 4:43:16 PM

Quote:
Be interesting to know the service history of those two relics. Some random questions:
• Is it just the angle, or do they look like they're armed with the 37 mm cannon rather than the 8 mm Hotchkiss.
• There seem to be two guys on the tank with no c-caps. Could they be civilians? One, at least, appears to be in uniform, the other in a boiler suit.
• Are those shells under the tarps, boards and stones?

Cheers
Brian G

Good questions Brian, I think they are indeed armed with the 37mm.

The two guys could potentially be civilian dock workers I suppose. Kragerø (my home town) was quite a major shipping harbour for the Germans, despite being just a small town of some 10 000 inhabitants. This was because Kragerø was one of the few harbours that had both deep water mooring, and railway tracks stretching onto the pier itself so that cargo could be loaded directly onto train carriages and transported everywhere in Norway within a couple of days.

I do believe those are shells yes. The Germans shipped in huge amounts of ammunition, I remember my granny telling me that was one of their main fears during the war - that some of that ammo would explode.

K
kaii
Oslo
 Norway
FT17 in German service
Posted on: 4/10/2020 4:46:19 PM

Quote:
That is great, thanks Nick!
kaii
Oslo
 Norway
FT17 in German service
Posted on: 4/10/2020 4:48:49 PM

Quote:

Trevor

Wow. Do you know whether they were actually driven around, or just used as static machine gun nests?

K
scoucer
Berlin
 Germany
FT17 in German service
Posted on: 4/10/2020 5:53:17 PM

Quote:
Wow. Do you know whether they were actually driven around, or just used as static machine gun nests?

K

They were actually driven around.

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
FT17 in German service
Posted on: 4/11/2020 4:13:32 AM

Quote:

Your welcome.
In German use, those armed with a 37mm they were PzKpfw 17R 730c(f), another photo of two in Norway and more detail on captured use.
[Read More]
kaii
Oslo
 Norway
FT17 in German service
Posted on: 4/11/2020 5:28:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Your welcome.
In German use, those armed with a 37mm they were PzKpfw 17R 730c(f), another photo of two in Norway and more detail on captured use.
[Read More]

Great stuff. I knew there were a couple of Hotchkiss H39 tanks still in Norway, that were used by the Germans, but had not heard of the Ft17 being deployed here before. Interesting stuff.

K
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
FT17 in German service
Posted on: 4/12/2020 2:51:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your welcome.
[Read More]

Great stuff. I knew there were a couple of Hotchkiss H39 tanks still in Norway, that were used by the Germans, but had not heard of the Ft17 being deployed here before. Interesting stuff.

K

Yes interesting stuff, 25th Pzr was the parent formation, which gives us [Read More]

Some of which were [Read More]

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC