Happy Thanksgiving!  

MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Eastern Theater)
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA
Adams County troops in the Confederate army
Posted on: 9/26/2020 11:21:34 AM

From the Memphis Daly Appeal. Memphis Tennessee. September 26, 1862.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 9/26/2020 1:42:58 PM

Hi Larry,

Interesting that men from Pennsylvania joining the Confederate Army. Makes you wonder if at least a few guys from any of the states joined the other sides forces! Do anyone have a website or article on men from the northern states joining the Rebs, or southern boys joining the Union?

Thanks,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
Posted on: 9/26/2020 2:02:40 PM

Quote:
Hi Larry,

Interesting that men from Pennsylvania joining the Confederate Army. Makes you wonder if at least a few guys from any of the states joined the other sides forces! Do anyone have a website or article on men from the northern states joining the Rebs, or southern boys joining the Union?

Thanks,
MD

I read many of the war time papers from Gettysburg and surrounding areas and this is the first I have seen this subject printed. It would seem a full company enlisting in an enemy army would be front page news. Maybe a planted story to dishearten Northerners?
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
Posted on: 9/26/2020 2:03:18 PM

Quote:
Hi Larry,

Thanks,
MD

I read many of the war time papers from Gettysburg and surrounding areas and this is the first I have seen this subject printed. It would seem a full company enlisting in an enemy army would be front page news. Maybe a planted story to dishearten Northerners?
Gregory C. White
Canton
GA USA
Posted on: 9/26/2020 4:41:43 PM

I find 115 a bit high. Impossible? I don't rule anything out when it comes to this American conflict.

If they went to Frederick to enlist, I'm assuming they joined Maryland Confederate commands.

I wonder if the Adams County Historical Society has identified its eligible male residents and whether
or not they served, and for which side?

I have run across many northerners and immigrants fighting in Georgia commands, but they had moved
there before the war and had become acclimated to their adopted homes.

Many Georgians in the mountainous counties fled to East Tennessee, a Union stronghold, and joined up
with Union commands. Many had deserted the Confederate army.

Best Regards,

Greg

"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC