MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Eastern Theater)
Little Meadows PA USA
September 27, 1862
9/27/2021 7:21:02 AM
Loss's of the 14th conn infantry. From the Hartford Courant. Hartford Conn. September 27. 1862

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
September 27, 1862
9/27/2021 9:01:06 AM
Larry,

These articles are wonderful things to behold.....your presentations really give us the sense of the times, and make for informative and poignant reading.

I like to try and make you aware of how much they’re appreciated.

The story about the Connecticut men brings home the grim nature of the ordeal.

These were green soldiers, who gave an excellent account of themselves against the rebels who were deployed in that “ Bloody Lane”.

I wonder about the claim that 1000 enemy corpses were left in front of the regiment. It’s a tall claim. Surely they included victims of other yankee regiments that accompanied the 14th Conn in Kimball’s Brigade.

Note the allusion to remaining in position for 36 hours under incessant harassing fire : this is another aspect of the battle that might be better acknowledged. The bloodiest single day of the war entailed a significant fight the evening before, and, it appears, some deadly skirmishing the following day. The officially reported toll of 12,410 casualties might include several hundred incurred on the 16th and 18th of September.

Regards, Phil
----------------------------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2022 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC