MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Eastern Theater)
Little Meadows PA USA
September 30, 1862
9/30/2021 5:40:37 PM
From the Hartford Courant. September 30, 1862

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
September 30, 1862
9/30/2021 7:23:56 PM
Larry,

Can you imagine how horrific it was for those survivor's looking for a loved ones!??

MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Phil Andrade
London  UK
September 30, 1862
10/1/2021 2:25:14 AM
Quote:
Larry,

Can you imagine how horrific it was for those survivor's looking for a loved ones!??

MD

Look at the tremendous effort and care that a yankee adjutant exercised in his attempt to give solace to the grieving families .

This was the dividend of holding the field at Antietam.....as if that horrific burden of grief could ever bestow any benefit.

For the people of Connecticut there was that desolate consolation : their loved ones had been identified and given marked burial. That mattered a great deal to folks in those days.

For the families of the South, Lee’s abandonment of the field at Sharpsburg offered little prospect of this mitigation. The rebel dead were left in their hundreds- thousands, even - to be interred in mass graves or left to rot.

I wonder if Lee’s determination to remain on the field until the 19th September was inspired partly by his determination to recover and bury the dead of his army. This mattered in terms of morale. The yankee reports mention that, although they had to deal with great numbers of rebel dead, it was clear that hundreds had been buried by Lee’s men before they retreated.

Think of other battles when the Union army was defeated and lost the field : Second Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Chickamauga .....the misery of those defeats was compounded by the knowledge that many of the northern dead could not be properly recorded, let alone buried.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2022 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC