MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Eastern Theater)
Thornton-Cleveleys  UK
New Confederate Uniform Book. Confederate Uniforms during the Maryland Camp
10/5/2021 3:32:51 PM
Hello to All.
My latest book CONFEDERATE UNIFORMS DURING THE MARYLAND CAMPAIGN:SEPTEMBER 1862, may be of considerable interest to all Civil War uniform enthusiasts--those who still believe in the ‘Ragged Reb’ scenario and others who feel that maybe the Confederates weren’t that hard done by.
It is a large work (A4 size and 320 pages), packed with never-before-seen data highlighting how the Confederate logistical network system successfully supplied its troops during the late Summer and early Fall of 1862 with both fresh uniform issues and abundant food rations. Besides the hundreds of Company Clothing Issue Tables contained in the book there are numerous full colour plates using realistic models displaying authentic period uniforms from my own large collection. There is also a large Photographic Section which scrutinizes the many images taken shortly after the battle. Eyewitness accounts are invariably useful and I have chosen many which I feel are the most accurate (i.e. by Soldiers and Newspaper Correspondents), as civilian testimonies can often be skewed through both biased beliefs and military ignorance. If you think the typical Reb of late 1862 was a shoeless scarecrow, then this book will surely change your mind! Here are a few excerpts….
JUST A FEW OF THE NUMEROUS EYEWITNESS TESTIMONIES

“..All this stuff about their extreme destitution is all bash. I have been all over the battlefields of Maryland and I have yet to find a Rebel even meanly clad or shod. They are as well shod as our own men. They are dressed in gray..”
Union Surgeon James Langstaff Dunn MD. 109th Pa. Vols. (Sept.1862)

“The notion which I find almost universal in the North, that the Southern Armies are clotheless and shoeless, let me here observe, I cannot but regard as a dangerous delusion.”
William Henry Hurlbert, New York Times Correspondent, (August 1862)

“..I saw rebel soldiers as well clothed as any of our own men..”
Private S.D. Green, a Michigan soldier serving in Virginia in late 1862
“…Our Regiment has been uniformed (in) grey woollen cloth and round about coats.”
Corporal Tally Simpson Co. A. 3rd SC (In letter to sister July 18th 1862)
“One of the Regiments of this Brigade is dressed in a remarkably neat and comfortable uniform which cost (for roundabout and pants) only eleven dollars to the man. The other regiments are now being uniformed by the Govt. in the same way…..
….when we get our new uniform, I think the old 7th will astonish her neighbours. We are having a uniform made in Rich (Richmond) at the Govt rooms, dark steel mixed jacket with light blue pants. Both cloths are heavy and good, English manufacture.”
Colonel David Wyatt Aiken 7th South Carolina Infantry Regiment (July 12th1862)
Soon our camp was filled with goods, and in a few days each “reb” had on a clean shirt and a brand new suit of “Confederate Uniform”, and a new pair of shoes. With clean clothes on, and plenty to eat, we began our important operations.”
Private Robert Campbell Company ‘A’ 5th Texas Infantry (July 8th 1862)
RE-SUPPLY OF NEW UNIFORMS IN MARYLAND
On September 8th the Great Falls correspondent of the New York Tribune, accompanying the Confederate forces into Maryland was astonished to see that many soldiers had cast off their old clothing and had donned new Confederate uniforms. He noted that “It is most natural to ask why these men threw away their clothing immediately on arriving on the Maryland side of the Potomac. This is most easily answered…As to a portion of the Confederate soldiers being furnished with new clothing, there is nothing which can be more conclusive than the fact that your correspondent saw full companies newly clad in substantial and fine garments, all of which were uniform in appearance”.

All the Uniform Issue data used in the book was obtained from the thousands of surviving clothing requisition forms held in the US archives, namely the‘Special Requisition Form 40’ and ‘Articles Issued on Special Requisition Form 39’ documents.

CLOTHING ISSUE TABLES
Below are just a few of the hundreds of clothing issue tables contained in the book. All the clothing, when received, was dated and signed for by each Company Officer, who detailed the exact amount and type of clothing received and the dates the uniforms were requested and received.

NOTE. In the late Summer/Fall of 1862 most Confederate regiments averaged only 150 -175 men, so the issues shown below were more than enough to keep the Confederate troops well attired and shod.
3RD ARKANSAS INFANTRY REGIMENT
MAY, JUNE 1862…711 jackets, 736 pairs pants, 546 pairs shoes, 113 undershirts, 321 pairs, 174 drawers, 387 caps, 262 blankets.
JULY, AUGUST 1862…154 jackets, 377 pairs pants, 263 pairs shoes, 441 shirts, 104 pairs socks, 424 drawers, 30 caps.

25TH NORTH CAROLINA INFANTRY REGIMENT
JUNE 8TH - AUG. 23RD 1862…934 jackets, 891 pairs pants, 1,108 pairs shoes, 1,084 shirts, 994 drawers, 934 caps, 48 overcoats, 77 blankets, 40 ponchos.

9TH LOUISIANA INFANTRY REGIMENT
APRIL 1862…1,042 jackets, 1,042 pairs pants, 304 pairs shoes, 267 shirts, 377 gray caps.
JULY, AUGUST 1862…101 ‘uniform’ jackets, 156 pairs ‘uniform’ pants, 169 pairs shoes, 256 shirts, 11 drawers, 32 caps.

23RD NORTH CAROLINA INFANTRY REGIMENT
JUNE – DECEMBER 1862…1,056 jackets and coats, 1,198 pairs pants, 590 pairs shoes, 572 shirts, 14 pairs socks, 1,108 pairs drawers, 635 caps, 165 hats, 42 overcoats, 181 blankets.
8TH FLORIDA INFANTRY REGIMENT
JUNE - DECEMBER 1862…969 jackets, 970 pairs pants, 974 pairs shoes, 770 shirts, 60 pairs socks, 393 pairs drawers, 12 overcoats, 91 blankets.
53RD VIRGINIA INFANTRY REGIMENT
APRIL - JULY 23RD 1862….790 jackets, 840 pairs pants, 650 hats, 190 shirts, 82 pairs socks, 111 drawers, 98 caps.
If anyone is interested in learning more please contact me at... jeffd1955@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks
Jeff
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
10/5/2021 7:13:51 PM
“I am frank to say I was in favor of the movement into Maryland. I am equally ready to admit that, under the circumstances, I now think it was a mistake.

“A fifth of the troops are bare-footed; half of them are in rags, and the whole of them insufficiently supplied with food. Men in this condition cannot be relied on to the same extent as when they are properly clothed and subsisted. The best soldiers, under such circumstances, will straggle both on the march and in battle. Since we crossed into Maryland and even before, they frequently had to march all day, and far into the night, for three or four days together, without food of any kind except such apples and green corn as they could obtain along the way. Our supply of food was limited at best, and the base supply of our operations so distant, the intervening country so barren by reason of spoliation perpetrated by Pope and his myrmidons, and our transportation so limited, that it was quite impossible to subsist the army as it should be. The difficulty of passing Confederate money in Maryland was another fruitful source of trouble.”

Excerpt of 9/19/1862 letter from Smithfield, Virginia, composed by war correspondent Peter Wellington Alexander, and published in the 10/1/1862 “Savannah Republican” newspaper
----------------------------------
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
10/5/2021 7:14:41 PM
" I found the stores closed, and very few that would take Confederate money. This would indicate that the business men at least are unfavorable to our cause. But I was told that all the business houses had been closed by the military authorities. All of the clothing, hats, and shoe establishments were bought out by our quartermasters; but the supply thus obtained was inadequate to our wants. For instance : My company received only four pairs of socks ! At Frederick my regiment received, as its share of the quartermaster’s stores, four pair of shoes. one pair of boots, and about a half dozen shirts! These were divided among the companies by lots. Company “D” drew a blank. Mr. Steiner, a kind-hearted Union man, seeing my bootless condition, gave me a pair of old boots, which I had mended, and am now very well shod. Had it not been for him, my feet would very soon have left traces of blood upon the rocks ; but that historic notoriety was thus opportunely denied me."

Excerpt of a September 13, 1862 letter from Hagerstown, Maryland by Lieutenant Virgil A.S. Parks, Company D, 17th Georgia Infantry, Toombs' Brigade

Published in the 9/25/1862 "Savannah Republican" newspaper
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
10/5/2021 7:44:21 PM
Here's an excerpt of a letter dated 9/6/1862, written from Frederick, Maryland, by a
war correspondent of the "New York Herald", and published in the "Louisville Courier-Herald"
of 9/12/1862:

"A rebel provost marshal was appointed, with a strong guard, to preserve order, and during the
afternoon the streets were thronged with rebel soldiers visiting the stores, which the provost
marshal ordered to be opened, and purchasing shoes and clothing, of which they were in great
want. So far as we could learn strict order was preserved.".
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
10/5/2021 8:01:03 PM
Notice placed on the front page of 9/23/1862 "Columbus (GA) Daily Sun":

"Notice. Quartermaster's Department, Columbus, I have been charged with the important duty of providing Shoes for our Soldiers, and I must appeal to the patriotism of our people to aid me in doing so. I want Leather and Shoes at once. Daily I am advised of the urgent wants of our Army, and strong appeals are made depicting the deplorable condition of our Soldiers, many of whom are barefoot, to their appeals I can yet make but small return, but with the aid of these who by exertion can remedy this great evil I hope to inaugurate a better state of affairs. I have the control of all the hides of beeves killed for the use of our Armies, and I offer them to be tanned on shares to those who can now supply me with Leather. The offers I make are liberal and the price paid for Leather ample. Shall it be said that our people al home disregard the cries of our defenders in the field, and prefer retaining the Leather for home consumption. I am satisfied they will not; let all join heart and hand to effect this great object. No matter how few Shoes, how small an amount of Leather your may have, let the Government have it at fair prices; the price you charge has to be borne by the soldier, out of his scanty allowance. Shoe-makers can find employment by calling on me. The soldier must be clothed; my orders are to do it; and with ample power I shall exercise them in every way, to carry out those orders, even if I have to resort to the disagreeable duty of impressment.

F.W. DILLARD, Major and Quartermaster. "
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
10/5/2021 8:13:40 PM
"The rebels are wretchedly clad, and generally destitute of shoes. The cavalry men are mostly barefooted, and the feet of the
infantry are bound up in rags and pieces of rawhide. Their uniforms are in tatters and many are without hats or caps. They are
very sanguine of success, and say that when they get to Baltimore they will get everything they need."

"New York Times" of 9/9/1862
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
10/5/2021 8:51:05 PM
Excerpt of a letter dated 9/9/1862, near Frederick, MD, composed by a war correspondent of the “New York Daily Herald”
and published by that newspaper of 9/12/1862:

“This rebel army presents a most miserable appearance. Scarcely any two soldiers are dressed alike. Many are little more than
half-clad at best. It is almost impossible to form an adequate idea of their ragged, dirty and destitute condition. Their want of
clothing has been so great that they have had to strip the uniforms from our Union soldiers who have fallen on the battlefield.

“The lack of shoes is particularly apparent. There is hardly a decent pair to be seen on any of them. Many have only fragments of
shoes on, the invisible portion having been long since worn away; some of them have their feet bound up in rags; others are entirely
barefoot, while others still can be seen with bleeding feet, which have been cut by the sharp stones in marching. The troops are all
in a most filthy condition. It is positively offensive to be near them. They look as if they had not washed themselves or changed any
of their clothing since they entered the service.”
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
10/5/2021 9:28:12 PM
From the "Altoona(PA) Tribune" of 10/16/1862 regarding the brief Confederate occupation of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania:

"OCCUPATION OF CHAMBERSBURG.

"The town was fairly occupied about seven o'clock in the evening. Shortly afterwards, a large portion of them made directly
for the warehouse and cars, in which were stored a great quantity of Government goods, consisting principally of uniforms
and a small quantity of boots. Not long afterwards, the whole town was converted into one vast dressing room. On every
hotel porch, at every corner, on the greater portion of the street door steps, in fact, all over town might be seen rebel cavalry
donning Yankee uniforms, and throwing their own worn out and faded garments into the street. In many instances, one man
would ensconce his pedestals in two or three new pair of pants, as many coats and the same number of caps hanging about
him. The streets became full of dirty rebel clothing. It is a noticeable fact that many of them had on Union uniforms when they
entered the town, and a number of their horses were marked 'U.S'”
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
10/5/2021 10:20:54 PM
Excerpt of a letter dated 9/20/1862, “bivouac in the field, Virginia” composed by Lieutenant Virgil A.S. Parks, Company D,
17th Georgia Infantry, Toombs' Brigade:

“While the battle raged, the boys were seen to pick up canteens, blankets, swords, pistols, etc. ; while those who were bare-footed,
supplied themselves with boots and shoes. I am wearing the best boots I have yet seen, which I bought from one of the boys a half hour
after he had pulled them off a dead Yankee. This looks wrong, to allow the dead to be robbed of boots or shoes ; but, my good Georgia
friends, don’t shudder at such a barbarous practice. Oar noble boys were bare-footed, in a rocky county; and the dead had no use for shoes.
It would be a waste to allow good shoes, so much needed, to be buried with the dead—even if they are Confederate.”
Tullock
Thornton-Cleveleys  UK
10/6/2021 6:55:04 AM
Hi Gregory.
Unfortunately I disagree. Yes, I too have read all of these accounts over the years, and for every account of rags and barefeet, I offer five of uniformaly dressed soldiers who were well provided for. Recalling old, well-worn testimonies without 40 years of research doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.
Soldiers always complain, they have done throughout history, and they can often exaggerate their woes believe it or not; and civilians, used to seeing well dressed militia drilling on their doorsteps were often shocked at the appearance of an army in the midst of a brutal campaign. The first Section of the book addresses this problem citing numerous reasons why civilian accounts can't be trusted... differing uniform styles (ie shell jackets and frock coats), differing colored uniform fabrics, poor dyeing techniques, trimmed and untrimmed uniforms, differing headwear (Slouch hats and Caps), blanket rolls, dust etc. etc. Skewed Northern propaganda also played a major part in promoting the 'Ragged Reb' myth.
As for barefooted troops, here’s what Private Philip Brown of the 12th Virginia had to say on the matter..
“..while our feet were tortured by the heat and dust to such an extent that we were forced to walk in barefeet with shoes tied together, and thrown over our rifles…
Sections 2 and 7 give exact details of massive uniform issues to all ANV troops from July to September 1862. The hundreds of uniform issue tables presented provide data taken directly from
original sources ie 'Requisition Forms 39 and 40', thousands of which still survive in the National archives. These forms, regularly submitted by every Company Officer in every Regiment, detail the initial uniform requests and the amounts and dates received. All forms were signed by the receiving Company Officer and countersigned by the Regimental Quartermaster. All the uniform issue data provided in the book is backed up by numerous soldier's testimonies. ie. 5th Texas Infantry uniform issues July 8th 1862…656 jackets, 656 trousers, 656 pairs shoes, 656 shirts, 485 pairs socks, 656 drawers. Soldier’s account dated July 8th …

“..As for myself, I had but one suit of clothes to my name and I had been wearing them for six weeks dead ahead. Soon our camp was filled with goods, and in a few days each “reb” had on a clean shirt and a brand new suit of “Confederate Uniform”, and a new pair of shoes. With clean clothes on, and plenty to eat, we began our important operations.”
Section 6 deals with the massive shortage of shoes and uniforms in the Northern ranks in September 1862, citing numerous instances. It’s an eye-opener.
The final part of the book (Section 10, is probably the most informative, offering absolute evidence that cannot be denied. It contains numerous photos of the Confederate dead after the battle. Of the approx 135 bodies which can be scrutinized to a great extent, all but two are dressed in neat Richmond Depot or North Carolina uniforms and only two are barefooted (Which was probably due to battlefield looters).
Buy the book, you may well be intrigued.
I look forward to your reply
Jeff
Phil Andrade
London  UK
10/6/2021 8:31:30 AM
Welcome to MHO, Jeff !

Your research offers a startling divergence from the folklore of the campaign.

The implications are striking, especially when it comes to the depletion of Lee’s force through the attrition of excessive straggling, which is so often attributed to lack of shoes.

Might it be that this folklore that I alluded to cherishes the caricatured depiction of the ragged rebel soldier ?

The more outnumbered, starved and threadbare the legions become, the more the reverence of their heroic feats.

I must keep an open mind, but I confess to being convinced by those descriptions of the lean and ragged set of wolves, who had about them a certain dash that the northern men lacked. The grip on the imagination is too powerful to be easily relinquished.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Tullock
Thornton-Cleveleys  UK
10/6/2021 9:58:10 AM
Hi Phil
Nice to meet a fellow Brit
I too was drawn in at an early age to the ‘folklore’ of the ragged scarecrows fighting off the hordes of finely dressed Yanks, I think too often influenced by Hollywood movies , which on the whole tended to propagate the myth. I was drawn in to such classics as ‘The Horse Soldiers’ , with the diversely clad Rebs storming off the train, most clad in civilian clothes,or ‘Shenandoah’ depicting every soldier on the prison train in tattered rags and ‘Gone with the Wind’ with the iconic scene in the railway station, full of scarecrows ….But then as I matured, a deepset niggling kicked in. Certainly at times, especially during a hard campaign, an army can look the worse for wear, but come on, rags, barefeet! An army cannot function in that state. When one finally draws back the old curtains of myth, and with lots of research, a truer picture emerges. Not one of neat, parade ground uniforms, but one of lean soldiers dressed in dusty, plain, hard-wearing and functional uniforms. Remember the uniforms worn at Antietam had only been issued between late July and early September 1862, giving them hardly enough time to wear out. (Forget the old myth, often cited that pants wore out in 6 weeks and jackets in 12, it’s baloney. I’ve done stringent tests on numerous authentic uniforms and believe me, they can endure some punishment).
We must also remember that a diversly clad Army is not a deprived army. If one looks at photos of the German Army in Normandy, you will see soldiers in field green jackets, short grey jackets, black jackets, leather coats, camo jackets and pants (both summer, autumn, pea dot, splinter and Italian types), jack boots, ankle boots, grey peaked caps, black peaked caps, side caps etc. etc. But we never speak of the ‘Ragged German Army’ do we.
Maybe we should all cling on to the glorious fables of old, but just for nostalgia purposes only hey?
Jeff
Phil Andrade
London  UK
10/7/2021 9:56:45 AM
Jeff,

You're suggesting a revolution in the historiography of the American Civil War .

The Lost Cause school will be dismayed !

You allude to 135 confederate corpses identifiable in the post battle photos of Antietam. That's an enormous number : equating to one in twenty of all the rebel dead that the yankees claimed to have buried on the field. Have I misunderstood this : might it be that many of these are the same dead depicted in different photos ?

I do take your point : from what I can see in Frasssanito's book, the dead are preponderantly wearing shoes.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Tullock
Thornton-Cleveleys  UK
10/7/2021 11:31:47 AM
Hi Phil.
There are 166 dead which can be made out in the series of photos, 135 of which can be examined in great detail after zooming in. In addition, the Frederick photo depicts at least 30 soldiers whose dress can easily be made out. William Frassanito is a great friend of mine and we meet up most summers in Gettysburg where he resides. In fact he wrote the forward for my last book 'NEVER IN RAGS' (Uniform Issues to the Eastern Confederate Armies in 1863). He wrote " It is the most comprehensive study of Confederate uniforms and their distribution, ever undertaken".
Regards
Jeff
Phil Andrade
London  UK
10/7/2021 12:14:24 PM
Quote:
Hi Phil.
There are 166 dead which can be made out in the series of photos, 135 of which can be examined in great detail after zooming in. In addition, the Frederick photo depicts at least 30 soldiers whose dress can easily be made out. William Frassanito is a great friend of mine and we meet up most summers in Gettysburg where he resides. In fact he wrote the forward for my last book 'NEVER IN RAGS' (Uniform Issues to the Eastern Confederate Armies in 1863). He wrote " It is the most comprehensive study of Confederate uniforms and their distribution, ever undertaken".
Regards
Jeff

Jeff,

Your credentials command my respect.

I'm amazed that there are 166 distinct and different dead discernible in the series of photos. Forgive me if I press the point, but are you certain that these don't include the same dead photographed from different positions ?

Regards, Phil
Tullock
Thornton-Cleveleys  UK
10/7/2021 1:51:16 PM
Hi Phil
Absolutely positive. I have studied these photographs for years. The Sunken Road has 6/5/27 bodies discernible, Hagerstown Road 15/9, Dunker Church 13/9, Miller Farm 61/1/1/6, other battlefield studies 2/2/4/5. The numbers presented here are not multiples.
Jeff
Phil Andrade
London  UK
10/7/2021 5:19:18 PM
Jeff,

Thanks for explaining and enumerating .

The sixty one dead confederates in the Miller Farm : that must be a unique photo and I cannot recall seeing it.

Does Frassanito mention it ?

Regards, Phil
Tullock
Thornton-Cleveleys  UK
10/7/2021 5:41:38 PM
Phil.
Yes, it's in his book, page 106. A very close examination reveals at least 61 bodies. Send me your email and I will send an image.

Regards jeff
Phil Andrade
London  UK
10/7/2021 6:27:57 PM
Quote:
Phil.
Yes, it's in his book, page 106. A very close examination reveals at least 61 bodies. Send me your email and I will send an image.

Regards jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Is this the photo of a large number of dead arrayed in a kind of V shaped configuration ?

I’ve just googled it - not being at home I don’t have my Frassanito to hand - and I must admit that it’s the largest number of battlefield dead that I’ve seen in any photo from that war. And it does clearly endorse your point about the men being shod .

To the naked eye, looking at it on a small iPhone, there seem to be about thirty ; but I defer to the experts who can examine meticulously.

Regards, Phil
Tullock
Thornton-Cleveleys  UK
10/7/2021 6:41:39 PM
Hi Phil.
Initially it does look like there are around 30-40 bodies, but a closer inspection reveals far more.
Regards Jeff
Phil Andrade
London  UK
10/8/2021 4:52:10 AM
Jeff,

Does your interest in the Civil War fix exclusively on uniforms ?

I’m wondering how far your determination to dispel the myth of the raggle taggle rebel host in Maryland might be an entry point for challenging other features of Civil War folklore that might need to be reconsidered.

My interest in that conflict began when I was an eight year old boy, when the screening of that silent movie The Engineer marked the centennial in 1961.

A few years later, there was James Stewart’s Shenandoah, and also a lurid collection of cards that was distributed in school playgrounds, with some depictions so gruesome that it seems incredible now that kids would have been allowed to see them, let alone collect them, as I did.

So sixty years of interest and some real research, and I find myself taken aback at what you’re revealing.

The briefest survey of the Union casualty figures is enough to show that the Confederates must have been sufficiently equipped, armed and fed to have exacted a horrific toll, and if clothing is to be included in this remit, then my initial circumspection gives way somewhat.

The implications of the sixty one dead Confederates laid out in that photo are to the fore in my mind. Considering the discussion we’ve had on the forum about the provenance of the Harvest of Death Gettysburg photo, the scope for discussion about this Antietam scene is infinite.

Regards, Phil

Tullock
Thornton-Cleveleys  UK
10/8/2021 6:06:03 AM
Hi Phil.
Regarding the large number of dead shown in the Antietam photos, one must remember that when the images were taken burial operations for the Confederate dead were just starting, hence there were large numbers available to photograph. Usually whoever held the field buried their own first, and as can be seen on page 145 the Federal burials were still underway. I do have a very high resolution image of the Confederate bodies in the 'V' if you are interested.
It is interesting that you mention 'The Engineer' (The General). Several years ago I visited Marietta Ga, where the original 'General' locomotive is on display in a local museum.
I still have a full collection of the ABC bubblegum cards. They certainly wouldn't be allowed today. After all. we can't upset the little luvvies can we?
In the book I show data tables of the food rations distributed to just one Regiment in August and September. The amounts were staggering! Here's a section of the book you may find interesting.

(The supposedly starving Texas brigade also seemed to be well provided for according to the following two statements. Captain George A. Todd of the 1st Texas wrote..

“..We were surprised at the abundance and cheapness of the supplies and eatability all along the route..”

Corporal O. T. Hanks, also of the 1st Texas commented on the abundance of food and his recollection of eating a substantial supper on the eve of the battle of Antietam. It certainly dispels the myth of the Texas Brigade having nothing to eat for days before the battle.

“..That night (16th September) we had roasting ears and broiled beef for supper. "

Certainly makes one want to reevaluate some of the old beliefs.
Regards Jeff

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC