MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Eastern Theater)
Little Meadows PA USA
October 8, 1862
10/8/2021 7:14:01 PM
Again North Carolina reports the loss of her state regiments quickly, accurately. From the Weekly State Journal. Raleigh NC. October 8, 1862

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
October 8, 1862
10/9/2021 3:25:46 AM
Larry,

As you say, North Carolina gave quick and accurate reports.

A comfort of sorts to loved ones at home : at least they’re getting news through. Would our parents and grandparents who waited at home anxiously in the two world wars have been so quickly and thoroughly informed ? Surely not.

There was almost too much information : that poor soldier H.C. Baker, mortally wounded through the lower jaw.....can you imagine how excruciating his death must have been ? The impact on his family when they read that doesn’t bear thinking about.

In warfare of this intensity, is it better to exercise candour: or does concealment make for better home front morale ?

Editing : General Lee himself was to complain about the excess of information that the southern press divulged in respect of confederate casualties ; he apparently felt that such data were tantamount to a security breach. If memory serves me, he remonstrated about this and issued a special order in May 1863 which specified that enumeration of slight wounds should not be so readily available.

Regards, Phil
----------------------------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC