Happy Thanksgiving!  

MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

General History
Page 1 of 53 (Page:   1    2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53 )
Author
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
This day in World History!
Posted on: 9/6/2018 8:41:39 AM

Hey History Buffs,

To get some topics out of the blue, I thought we would try "The History Channel's", "This day in history", & open it for comments, or discussions!?

[Read More]

Feel free to consult the website, or even news from today's past, post it or make comments, on any given day you can begin the post if you have anything!?

Like today, Sept 6, 1972, was terrible terrorist attack in Munich, where Palestine Terrorists attacked Israel's athletes killing 2, & taking 9 hostages!

[Read More]

This may have started the heightening of security we see at today's sporting events? I can't go to any public event without a close examination of my camera bag or any carry on's? Comments anyone??

What say you?
Is this another stupid idea from MD, or what??
MD
----------------------------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Re: This day in History!
Posted on: 9/6/2018 8:52:31 AM

Oops, almost forgot this also was the date that Ferdinand Magellan's ship completed in 1522 the 1st trip around the world! Poor Ferd didn't complete it, because he was killed by a poison arrow hit, in the Philippines!

You get the point!
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
BWilson

Posted on: 9/6/2018 8:53:31 AM

MD,

 Not a stupid idea at all.

 My guess as to today's security regime at public events in the USA is that it owes more to the attacks of 9-11 than the attacks at Munich in 1972.

Cheers,

BW
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.
jahenders
Colorado Springs
CO USA
Posted on: 9/6/2018 10:07:16 AM

Quote:
Hey History Buffs,

To get some topics out of the blue, I thought we would try "The History Channel's", "This day in history", & open it for comments, or discussions!?

[Read More]

This may have started the heightening of security we see at today's sporting events? I can't go to any public event without a close examination of my camera bag or any carry on's? Comments anyone??

What say you?
Is this another stupid idea from MD, or what??
MD
--Michigan Dave

And let's not forget the 2004 discovery of "'Hobbits' in Indonesia" ...

As far as security, I'd agree that most of it is more directly attributable to 9/11, but the Munich attack may have introduced the idea of security at sporting events ... and helped to spawn the development of the movie "Black Sunday" (1977).

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 9/7/2018 8:38:04 AM

Hi Guys,

Day 2 of our new "this day in history! Today Sept. 7, in 1776 during the Revolutionary war was the 1st Submarine attack in history!

[Read More]

Other noted events that happened!

[Read More]

US, named "Uncle Sam, in the Civil War Atlanta is evacuated, Panama is to control the Canal, Nazis begin Blitz Kreig, 1940!

always something happening in history,
Regards, & comments,
MD
BWilson

Posted on: 9/7/2018 11:59:22 AM

 Ezra Lee sounds like he was a badass of the 18th century. I'm amazed submersibles were at all reliable in those days.

 September 7, 1944: Bulgaria declares war on Germany. Thereafter, the Soviets made them put their army into the field, fighting the Germans. By the end of the war, their casualties were unusually high because of lack of experience and shortages of equipment. The Bulgarian experience, though, was better than that of the Romanians, who were deliberately employed in casualty-intensive operations by the Soviets because they were incensed that Romanian forces had invaded the USSR.

Cheers,

BW
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 9/8/2018 8:55:39 AM

On this day in history, 1974, President Gerald Ford pardoned Richard Nixon in a controversial move? Ford contended it was to get back to running the country, what say you?

Also on this day, in 1945; US troops arrived in Korea, do you think the US should have stayed out of that situation?

In 1941 Germany stated their siege of Leningrad, we. All know how that turned out! Bad move?

Also check the website for battles fought in both the Revolutionay, and Civil War!

Comments anyone?
MD

BWilson

Posted on: 9/8/2018 9:25:35 AM

Also on this day, in 1945; US troops arrived in Korea, do you think the US should have stayed out of that situation?

MD,

 Worth recalling that in 1945, China was not yet a communist country. Having Stalin in control of the entire Korean peninsula would not have looked a smart move to Truman and staff.

1943 --
Quote:
... General Eisenhower broadcasts news of the Italian armistice at 1830 and Marshal Badoglio makes a similar broadcast at 1945. This is a cue for the Italian fleet and aircraft to head for prearranged points for surrender to Allied forces. --U.S. Army Chronology of World War II

Cheers,

BW
OpanaPointer
St. Louis
MO USA
Posted on: 9/8/2018 10:21:08 AM

IIRC the first Korean War Green Book has an analysis of the political imperatives in action at the time.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 9/9/2018 9:06:55 AM

On this day in history in 1776 Congress officially renamed our country, "The United States of America"!

[Read More]

Also in the Civil War Chattanooga fell to the Yankees!

[Read More]

& in China Chairman Mao Zedong who started the fashion trend currently used by the North Korean leader Kim Jong-un! ( passed away in 1976). Which guy do you think is the better dresser?

[Read More]

Comments anyone?
MD
BWilson

Posted on: 9/9/2018 9:24:09 AM

9 September 1943:

 Fifth U.S. Army lands at Salerno, Italy.

 Rugged terrain:

Salerno today

Cheers,

BW
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 9/10/2018 9:11:42 AM

Hi BW,

Nice pick of Salerno, Italy, it looks like a nice place to Holiday at??

Today in history in 1813, the famous naval engagement between the Brits & Americans, "The Battle of Lake Erie"! Won by the Americans, Admiral Oliver H. Perry's famous quote when asked to surrender, "We have met the enemy, & they are ours!" George may want to comment on the War of 1812!?

[Read More]

Also in today's news, It seems an Aussie hiking in New Guinea found a WWII battle field completely undisturbed with weapons and artifacts laying all over the place??

[Read More]

keep clicking "next" under the pic to bring up more photos of the find!

What say you about this astonishing find. & other things that happened today??
Cheers,
MD

jahenders
Colorado Springs
CO USA
Posted on: 9/10/2018 12:20:08 PM

Quote:

Also in today's news, It seems an Aussie hiking in New Guinea found a WWII battle field completely undisturbed with weapons and artifacts laying all over the place??

[Read More]

keep clicking "next" under the pic to bring up more photos of the find!

What say you about this astonishing find. & other things that happened today??
Cheers,
MD
--Michigan Dave

I don't see myself ever getting to New Guinea, but that looks like an awesome hike, further strengthened by its memorial value and battlefield views.

Jim
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 9/11/2018 8:02:32 AM

I don't really have to mention what happened in the Eastern US on this date in 2001!?

[Read More]

Sad day,
MD
OpanaPointer
St. Louis
MO USA
Posted on: 9/11/2018 10:02:06 AM

Not with a "where were you when" thread on every forum on the 'net.
jahenders
Colorado Springs
CO USA
Posted on: 9/11/2018 12:21:58 PM

Quote:
Not with a "where were you when" thread on every forum on the 'net.
--OpanaPointer

Well, since you mentioned it ...

I was at Air Combat Command at Langley AFB, VA. A couple of us in our office were getting ready for a VTC and we had to walk over to the VTC center to do that. Just before we left, we heard about some emergency in NY (unclear what it was). When we got over there, we were told things were delayed, so we watched their TV while waiting. Then we saw the 2nd plane hit and we new it was an attack. We cancelled the VTC and rushed back to our office to see what would happen next and what we could do.

One guy in our office had been in Hawaii and was stranded for several days. When he was able to get through to us, he said he was going to go to the local comm squadron (we were a communications/information assurance organization) and offer to help in any way he could. If they couldn't use him, he'd go to PACAF, PACOM, or anyone else that could use him until he could get back (several days as it turned out).

A lady in our office approached me that afternoon. She was a retired SMSgt, but was now a contractor with a very fixed number of hours per week. She told me, "If you need me to work on any task, let me know -- if it takes extra hours, we can figure that out later." She was a retired, but she was still "in the fight" and worked a lot of issues to ensure units in the field got what they needed.

When I went home that night to our base housing area (located several miles away from base) they had closed all but one gate into the housing area and there was a Humvee w/ a .50 Cal sitting at that one.

That all really "brought it home" for us.

Jim
OpanaPointer
St. Louis
MO USA
Posted on: 9/11/2018 12:52:17 PM

I was at Purdue. When the second plane hit I looked around and said, "Where were YOU when the war started." Freaked a few people out. The ROTC kids were very thoughtful.
jahenders
Colorado Springs
CO USA
Posted on: 9/11/2018 2:42:10 PM

Quote:
I was at Purdue. When the second plane hit I looked around and said, "Where were YOU when the war started." Freaked a few people out. The ROTC kids were very thoughtful.
--OpanaPointer

Sounds like you grasped the full import faster than many. Two planes hitting WTC so close together could ONLY be an attack and that kind of attack on American soil definitely implies a war (either that this was the first shot in a war or that we were going to respond to war).

I recall watching the news and listening intently to the radio in the days thereafter. The mindset was definitely one of shock, anger, and revenge.

For example, I recall poignant monologues, sound bites, and songs such as:
- Martina McBride's "Independence Day" interspersed with footage of the aftermath of the attacks
- A GWB speech interspersed with "We're not gonna take it"
- Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue"
OpanaPointer
St. Louis
MO USA
Posted on: 9/11/2018 2:48:21 PM

I am retired Navy and a historian, with a strong focus on Pearl Harbor, so the connection was automatic. I knew we had to fight whoever did that.
jahenders
Colorado Springs
CO USA
Posted on: 9/11/2018 3:45:27 PM

Quote:
I am retired Navy and a historian, with a strong focus on Pearl Harbor, so the connection was automatic. I knew we had to fight whoever did that.
--OpanaPointer

Absolutely.

I have a hard time understanding those who say, "We should have never gotten involved in a war in Afghanistan." Once it was clear that Bin Laden was responsible and that a scumbag government in Afghanistan was sheltering him, we HAD to fight (and not just lob a few random cruise missiles). Now, that war could have been conducted many different ways, with different scope, goals, etc. but the war itself was inevitable once the Taliban basically said, "If you want Bin Laden, you're going to have to come and get him."

In my view, our biggest mistake in Afghanistan was in not setting clear exit criteria ahead of time and then sticking to them. I would have made it VERY clear that I had ZERO interest in nation building, a stable government, etc. My only goal would have been to go in, get Bin Laden, kill/capture all the Taliban we could, and then leave with a stern warning, "Now don't ever make us come back there."
OpanaPointer
St. Louis
MO USA
Posted on: 9/11/2018 3:48:58 PM

They wanted to cure the base problem. And that's never going to happen. Organized warfare was invented in this part of the world.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 9/12/2018 8:57:25 AM

OP, & Jim,

Thanks for sharing your memories of this catastrophic event! Certainly the day after's aftermath of 9/11 is an event in itself!

Also on this day in history, in 1953, Nikita Khrushchev elected leader of the Soviet Union, boy was this guy involved in perpetrating the Cold War! Berlin Wall, Cuban Missile Crisis, Nuclear Arms Race! This guy was in the middle of it!?

[Read More]

What say you about Nakita K, and other events on Sept. 12th,??
MD

OpanaPointer
St. Louis
MO USA
Posted on: 9/12/2018 12:06:33 PM

I remember Nikita as the Commissar in charge of defending Stalingrad. He was ... effective.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 9/13/2018 8:14:48 AM

Oh say can you see! On this day in 1814 Francis Scott Key, while watching the defense of Fort McHenry in Baltimore Harbor, penned the "Star Spangled Banner"!

[Read More]

Also, other events on this day in history; 1759, Britain beats France on the Plains of Abraham, & in 1993, the Israel-Palestine Peace Accord signed!?

Has the accord lasted? & if Britain had lost this battle everyone would be speaking French in Canada today??

What say you?
MD

BTW today you could add the day Hurricane Florence hit the Carolinas!
take care people in it's path!
BWilson

Posted on: 9/13/2018 8:56:22 AM

 Night of 13 September 1942: Facing U.S. Marines, overconfident Japanese troops suffer heavy losses on Guadalcanal in a poorly executed assault against 'Bloody Ridge'.

Cheers,

BW
OpanaPointer
St. Louis
MO USA
Posted on: 9/13/2018 10:53:54 AM

Less than a month earlier they had received hard tuition at the Battle of the Ilyu River. (Maps were wrong, it wasn't the Tenaru.)
BWilson

Posted on: 9/14/2018 9:13:23 AM

14 September 1943: Following the drop of the 504th Parachute Infantry into the Salerno Beachhead the day prior, the 505th Parachute Infantry and 2nd Battalion, 509th Parachute Infantry are dropped into the beachhead and behind enemy lines to reinforce the beachhead and disrupt German counterattacks.

Cheers,

BW
brian grafton
Victoria
BC Canada
Posted on: 9/14/2018 8:47:22 PM

Bill, so many questions spring from your great photo.

1. The lead dude, e.g., seems to be wearing the equivalent of a boiler suit. All the others – where the photo allows us to determine – seem to have GI belts with pouches.

2. Uniforms appear to be various colours. Is that a hint that these Engineers are from different units, or that we're looking at the proportions between veterans and novices at the Salerno landings. Lighter the uniform, longer the service?

3. What story does the LST in the background tell? It appears to be unloading onto some kind of mobile roadway capable of supporting medium weight transport, though the unloading may be very different.

Salerno was an odd landing in lots of ways, IMHO. This shot simply adds to he landing. Thanks.

Cheers
Brian
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
BWilson

Posted on: 9/15/2018 12:51:27 AM

Brian,

 As a guess, I think the one-piece uniform is maintenance overalls, meant to be worn to protect the regular uniform when one is working on vehicle motors etc. In the 80s, on hot days, I saw soldiers wearing them alone as a uniform itself because it was cooler attire.

Cheers,

BW
Phil andrade
London
 UK
Posted on: 9/15/2018 2:38:37 AM

First use of tanks in battle as the Anglo French armies open their attacks at Flers Courcelette, marking the third phase of their Somme offensive.

A significant local success, but a costly one .

Controversy about whether tanks were used prematurely : did the British high command waste the chance by using tanks in penny packets ; or did Haig exhibit an enlightened enthusiasm by using them ?

More British lives lost on 15 September 1916 than combined Northern and Southern deaths at Antietam in the Civil War.

CWGC database records well over six thousand fatalities on this day in France in 1916 : about five thousand UK, just over one thousand Canadian (more than Dieppe in 1942 ) , and six hundred New Zealander ....probably implying approaching twenty thousand British and Dominion casualties in all.

French casualties must have been heavy, too. Germans were cut down or captured in enormous numbers. They were shocked and shaken by the appearance of the tanks. When the New Zealand infantry stormed their objective, they killed the German wounded and were not disposed to take prisoners.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
BWilson

Posted on: 9/15/2018 3:07:22 AM

15 September 1944:

Quote:
1st Div, less 16th Inf, has almost encircled Aachen; 16th Inf reaches Eilendorf and, fanning out from there, clears surrounding heights although enemy retains high ground near Verlautenheide village.

6th Army Group: Becomes operational at 0001 and assumes control of the AFHQ forces that are in France. At same time, operational control of 6th Army Group and its elements passes from AFHQ to SHAEF, a move previously agreed upon between Gen Eisenhower and Gen Wilson. Fr Army B acquires autonomy and is on a par with U.S. Seventh Army. Fr Army B regroups during next few days for drive eastward. --U.S. Army Chronology

Cheers,

BW
Phil andrade
London
 UK
Posted on: 9/15/2018 9:45:05 AM

15 September 1862....Lee deployed his very diminished force along the Antietam , waiting for his dispersed army to coalesce and continue his Maryland Campaign in circumstances of great peril.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 9/15/2018 11:50:33 AM

Hey Guys,

I like how everyone is contributing to the thread, btw today is squirrel season opener!

Phil,

It is amazing how Lee, and ANV weathered the storm at Antietam!

The man could flat out general!

Regards,
Dave
dt509er
Santa Rosa
CA USA
Posted on: 9/15/2018 12:07:02 PM

On this day 1944 in the Pacific.., Peleliu.

"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..." “If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford
George
Centre Hastings
ON Canada
Posted on: 9/15/2018 1:44:06 PM

Sept. 15, 1944. Italian campaign

British and Indian troops, after 12 assaults took Gemmano, sometimes called the "Cassino of the Adriatic".

This was all part of the 8th Army breach of the Gothic Line beginning in late Aug. of 1944.

Gemmano

On the same day, the Germans were forced to leave Coriano Ridge by CDN 5th Armoured and British 1st Armoured Divs.
EDIT: May have been late on the 14th.

And the Greeks, attached to 1st CDN Div. began an attack on the airfields near Rimini.

BWilson

Posted on: 9/16/2018 1:16:03 AM

George,

 I couldn't see the final image you posted, so I took the liberty of re-posting it:

Cheers,

BW
George
Centre Hastings
ON Canada
Posted on: 9/16/2018 6:36:51 AM

Thanks Bill.

Cheers,

George
BWilson

Posted on: 9/16/2018 7:28:21 AM

September 16, 1944:

Quote:
ESTONIA-LATVIA—Soviet forces of Leningrad and Baltic Fronts open offensive about this time toward Baltic Sea, pressing toward Tallinn, Valga, and Riga.

BULGARIA—Soviet forces of Third Ukrainian Front, pushing W to block enemy withdrawal from Yugoslavia, enter Sofia, capital of Bulgaria.

GREECE—Br 9th Commandos lands without opposition on Kithira I., off S coast of Peloponnesus, to reconnoiter in preparation for landing of Force 140. Advance Coastal Forces Base is established on Kithira. --U.S. Army Chronology

Cheers,

BW
OpanaPointer
St. Louis
MO USA
Posted on: 9/16/2018 7:39:24 AM

And, about 26 years earlier the Germans launched their first attack on a Soviet.
Phil andrade
London
 UK
Posted on: 9/17/2018 2:50:01 AM

No prizes for giving 17 September a special significance !

The bloodiest day in American military history at Antietam in 1862. Eighty two years later saw the commencement of Operation Market Garden.

Isn’t that a striking thought about the passing of time ? That Antietam was to Arnhem as the Abdication of Edward VIII is to today !

A mere lifetime !

Regards, Phil
Page 1 of 53 (Page:   1    2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53 )

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC