MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

General History
Author
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Is the Northwest passage an International Water Way or a Canadian Water Way
Posted on: 7/29/2019 8:35:14 PM

With the growing warmer Arctic Temperatures opening up the northern seas, Is the now open Northwest Passage an international waterway? Check out the video on subject, & comment!?

[Read More]

What say you?
MD
----------------------------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
George
Centre Hastings
ON Canada
Posted on: 7/29/2019 9:29:22 PM

I don't know whether my comments would be kind given that the US has transited the passage more than once and that genius Mike Pompeo, declared to the world that the US was in conflict with Canada over its illegitimate claim to the Northwest passage. And he did so at the meeting of the Arctic Council.

Pardon my insecurity but I do not think that the US gives a damn whether Canada sees those waters that wind in amongst the islands of the Arctic Archipelago as sovereign territory.

The US has gone to great lengths to cite historical precedence in other parts of the world to justify its claim that the waters are wide open, like the Corfu strait between Albania and the Greek island of Corfu.

But Canada has presented what I think is a solid legal argument to indicate possession including the fact that Canadians live up there and use the ice and water to travel between points.

You will note that the US sent that ice breaker, the Polar Sea, through the Northwest Passage in 1988. So what you say? It was an incredibly disrespectful act by our closest neighbour.

The US knew full well that Canada claimed those waters. There is no debate about the ownership of the archipelago but the US wanted to indicate that it could do as it pleased in those waters, knowing full well that they cannot be stopped.

The Canadian government worked out a face saving deal. If the US wanted to go through again, they would let us know.

Note that the passage is really about 7 different routes that could be taken, if and when the ice opens up. All of the routes wind between our islands.

[Read More]

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 7/30/2019 8:28:36 AM

George,

Perhaps Canada should send Warships un-announced through the US Inter-coastal Waterway! Is Mike Pompeo a expert on the situation? Leave it to the current administration to shake things up? Why shake things up with a close good Allied friend??

[Read More]

[Read More]

MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
Posted on: 8/31/2019 9:31:18 AM

How long before a NWP is reality? I've read all my life about search's for this passage and now it seems maybe it will happen .

Larry
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
George
Centre Hastings
ON Canada
Posted on: 8/31/2019 10:49:26 AM

Larry, I think that ship traffic will be limited to the summer months for the foreseeable future.

Cruise ships have passed through the passage but some are accompanied by their own ice breaker, just in case.

Our biggest concern is an oil spill that will perhaps irreparably damage one of the last pristine ecosystems on the planet. The passage goes through the dozens of islands that make up the Canadian Arctic Archipelago and while there aren't many people living up there, there are Inuit who have lived off the land for millenia. That is a major concern that too much shipping will invite disaster and destroy the lives of the people who still depend upon the seas for a good portion of their diet.

I do know that small vessels have entered the passage but I don't think that they are getting through. The eastern entrance to the passage near Baffin Island and the western entrance, just off Alaska have been open in the summers for a while. But the central section is still a crap shoot and is often chock-a-block with thick ice.

The archeological research being undertaken on HMS Terror and HMS Erebus is still an iffy proposition and in some summers, they don't have as many days on the sites because of ice and other weather conditions.

If anyone wants to know the ice conditions by area, then the Canadian Ice Service has information available on a daily basis in the areas identified as well travelled.

[Read More]

So it would be incorrect to state that the passage is wide open and ice free. But there are more areas of open water with an extended timeline into September before freeze-up occurs.
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
Posted on: 8/31/2019 10:58:33 AM

Thank you George. I for one hope the NWP doesn't become readily passable for the reasons you have stated.

Best regards, Larry.
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 9/25/2019 4:18:08 PM

Well with the new climate change, the Northwest Passage will soon be open water!?

[Read More]

& that is not good!
MD
George
Centre Hastings
ON Canada
Posted on: 9/25/2019 4:47:50 PM

Thanks for that article Dave. The Canadian Arctic is warming at a rate that is 2X as fast as anywhere else on earth.
We can see the problems that are developing on land already. The Inuit have been reporting changes for many years.

We're right in the middle of a federal election campaign and I am listening intently to the mitigation plans put forth by each of the parties. It is an important decision and it is difficult to wade through the carefully worded messages that the politicians are sending out.

So far, I like the Green party message and have browsed through their platform booklet. Of course, they have to deal with many other files other than the climate file.

I wish that we had some kind of a proportional voting system here because we need the Green message delivered by politicians who are serious about this problem. Failing that, perhaps a minority government would be a good thing and would demand a higher degree of cooperation.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 9/26/2019 10:04:46 AM

George,

Climate change is real, the 10 highest recorded water levels have occurred in the last 19 years! Big problems with erosion on our Great Lakes Shorelines, due to unusual weather, including more & higher impact storms, people who laugh it off & do nothing, IMHO aren't considering future generations!?

[Read More]

Concerned?
MD

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC