MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

General History
Author
Geelong
 Australia
The Byz!
Posted on: 10/7/2019 9:51:36 AM

I've been in Istanbul for the last few days and am constantly amazed by the Byzantines.

I've seen a few castles since coming to Europe, but they pale into insignificance compared to the Walls of Constantinople, which of course are centuries older than the castles I saw. The Hagia Sophia is massive, from some angles it dominates the skyline and must have looked imposing to new visitors from out in the sticks like Paris or London, and its decoration with mosaics is staggering in its detail. The hippodrome has an obelisk from the time of Pharaoh Thutmose and a bronze twin snake statue made from weapons and armour the Greeks captured when the beat the Persians in the 5th century BC. The basilica cistern is huge and not only practical but has decoration in it pillars that I'm sure nobody ever saw.

More stuff to see tomrrow
----------------------------------
“We are pretending to know about things we don’t know and pretending to not know things we’ve known til yesterday.” Douglas Murray.
Lightning
Glasgow
 UK
The Byz!
Posted on: 10/9/2019 11:21:51 AM

Seemingly the Greeks still refer to Istanbul as Constantinople?

Would be keen to see photos, if you have any.

Cheers,

Colin
"There is no course open to us but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight to the end."
RiaindeVoy
Geelong
 Australia
The Byz!
Posted on: 10/10/2019 12:56:31 AM

Have a look at my Facebook page, Ryan Macavoy, it's public at the moment but I'll be locking it down and ditching a lot (if 37 counts as a lot) of friends once I get home.

Actually, social media has been good to me this trip. Every place I visit I've immediately uploaded the pictures to facebook along with an explanation, so when I get home I'll have the story in order with the prompts I need to remember it. Also I've been conversing with my brothers, sons and nephews in messenger, so despite travelling alone I'm in regular conversation.
“We are pretending to know about things we don’t know and pretending to not know things we’ve known til yesterday.” Douglas Murray.
Lightning
Glasgow
 UK
The Byz!
Posted on: 10/11/2019 9:36:24 AM

I'll do that, cheers mate.
"There is no course open to us but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight to the end."

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC