MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

General History
Author
Victoria
BC Canada
After how long, a new monarch...
Posted on: 11/28/2019 11:54:12 PM

I'm 78 years old. When I was (I believe) 12, Canada was blessed with a new sovereign. With the death of George VI, Princess Elizabeth became our Queen, with the title Queen Elizabeth II. I still have the bronze medallion struck for Canadian school children to celebrate her ascent to the throne.

Today, there has been at least one announcement that within 18 months Elizabeth II will retire, providing a chance for her son Charles, Prince of Wales, to become in his own right. From what little I know about "The Business", Charles wants his chance to be Monarch. His Mum is prepared to give him the chance.

I'll be honest. I'm not a fan of Charles, Prince of Wales. On a personal level, I don't like his aesthetic sense and his comments about design, and I sense he out of touch with a modern monarchy. But if he takes the throne, I will stand for the anthem and recognize his stature.

Of more concern, I have issues about his ability to rule and control the huge business that is the Royal Family. Of immediate concern is whether he can bring Andrew under control. He was described as being prepared to haul Andrew's ass on the carpet for a number of issues, including his friendship with Epstein, his possible links with Epstein's girls, and his disastrous interview on BBC. On top of that are growing concerns about conduct within certain of his charities. Andrew (remember when he was called "Randy Any"?) doesn't appear to be a good model of Royal behaviour. But the real issue is whether Charles has the nous, sense, capability, strength or simple cussedness to kick his younger brother's ass. I'm waiting to hear how the Charles/Andrew confrontation resolves itself.

I'm not comfortable with his treatment of Princess Dianna, whether during of after their marriage. I'm concerned about whether Camilla might gain official recognition by being given a new title, which might be Charles's prerogative but would not sit well with many.

I recognize that, barring a surprise, Charles will replace his mother on the British throne. I hope those in charge realize that they have a huge up-selling job to get many even remotely interested in saluting, respecting or honouring him.

Cheers
Brian G
----------------------------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
George
Centre Hastings
ON Canada
Posted on: 11/29/2019 6:33:18 AM

Is Prince-Regent still a term in use, Brian? I don't see the Queen abdicating, do you?

Cheers,

George
Wazza
Sydney
 Australia
Posted on: 11/29/2019 12:33:50 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the Queen dies on the throne!

As for Charles, I feel their is a strength of character we have yet to see and have no problem with calling him my King.

Would rather see Charles as King than either of his two sons.
Brian Grafton
Victoria
BC Canada
Posted on: 11/29/2019 9:00:15 PM

George, I'm pretty certain the term still exists, and the function still exists. But I'm not at all certain that the term would be applicable here, if I understood the article I read. This isn't a question of the Queen being incapable of ruling, which would lead to an heir ruling in her name. In the report I saw, she said she wanted to retire.

We've had a similar event occur recently, when Pope Benedict XVI (?) retired, and was replaced by Francis. So I don't know what the value of various words are in this circumstance. Retirement and abdication seem not readily equivalent. If she retires, she's no longer the Queen. Would she become the dowager queen? That doesn't fit language I associate with the monarchy either, and I don't think it a term that has ever been applied to a retired Sovereign (what does that mean?), but typically to the widowed queen of a dead sovereign.

I don't know what abdication means precisely, of course. Nobody's used the term much since 1938, when Eddy bailed to marry Wallace. But if a monarch determines they wish to relinquish their functions in order to live a more private life, it seem that abdication may be the best word we have.

What is known is that Charles wants his chance at ruling. He wants to be king. And at her age, Elizabeth deserves a more private, more peaceful life. I've already covered some of my concerns about Charles becoming monarch.

Cheers
Brian G

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Brian Grafton
Victoria
BC Canada
Posted on: 11/29/2019 9:24:57 PM

Wazza, she's 93! I too won't be surprised to find she dies before she takes "retirement". I was just surprised to see her talk about stepping down, which is why I posted this. And if you're playing funny buggers, I wouldn't be surprised if she died in bed, or at dinner or before meeting Boris Johnson! So why not die on the "throne"?

As to Charles, I recognize that there is a massive difference between being Heir Apparent and King. My reading is less kind than your's, I'm sorry to say. I believe Charles wants the throne, and feels he has earned the throne. And I recognize that many of his values, commitments and interests are personal, and may not play a part were he on the throne. I'm just not comfortable with seeing his cultural, architectural or social gaining an official voice

And in the case of Diana, I'm concerned that Charles didn't have the balls to decline to marry her. To go with Camilla from the beginning would have provided more truth, more honour and – a major issue – a complicated and perhaps catastrophic question of the line to the throne.

Nuff said for now.

Cheers
Brian G

Brian Grafton
Victoria
BC Canada
Posted on: 12/6/2019 6:59:26 PM

Okay, I posted this stuff, so I owe members this item: [Read More]

In other words, Elizabeth II will continue to run the family business.

Cheers
Brian G
morris crumley
Dunwoody
GA USA
Posted on: 12/10/2019 3:42:40 PM

I`m not an Anglophile, at least of the idea of having a Royal Family at all. But, I will say this, I admire Queen Elizabeth II, I truly do. I can also add, if your son was Charles...would you want to turn things over to him if you didn`t have to?

Respects Morris
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
Brian Grafton
Victoria
BC Canada
Posted on: 12/13/2019 7:28:47 PM

Morris, you're not alone in your feelings about Royals by any means, including in many Commonwealth nations. Canada has a (miniscule) Republic Party, I believe, and IIRC both Oz and NZ have had plebiscites over whether to keep the monarchy.

Elizabeth has been our monarch for a long time now, and in her many years on the throne she has not always been as popular as she is at present. IMHO, the bulk of the British Royal Family lost contact with those they reigned over, starting some time around the cultural rebirth of England in the mid-1960s. Personally, the treatment of Diana Princess of Wales came as close to breaking my support of the Royals as anything. Had they remained behind the walls on her death (as it looked they might do), instead of doing some walking to touch the people gathered to mourn Diana's death, I think I would have written them off.

I don't know of many who find Charles a loveable or cherishable man. That he not only expects but also wants to be king was demonstrated by his marriage to Diana. Yet I think he shares many of the traits of his grandfather, George VI, who had hoped to live a benign existence as a county gentleman, living in (outrageous) comfort with his wife and family as a rather glorified squire. Charles certainly has embraced that life on his estates. He can't have it both ways, of course, and his personal and state conduct as King may not be able to overcome his personal or official conduct as Prince of Wales or husband of Diana.

I now expect Elizabeth to die as monarch, to be honest. She is at least a traditionalist to the extent that a new king appears only with death. And unless Charles dies before this feisty old lady who is my queen, Charles will be crowned Charles III (I doubt he would choose a different name as king, though I believe this is a perogrative.)

At present, most folks would like to see Prince William as their next king. As a clearly identified future king, he is handsome, accomplished, and wed to an attractive, capable and articulate woman. But there are few means I know of by which Charles may be denied the throne if that is his wish.

Cheers
Brian G

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 12/14/2019 7:08:36 PM

Brian,

You asked for it, a new Monarch!

[Read More]

Cheers,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC