MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

General History
Author
Oslo
 Norway
And so it begins...
Posted on: 1/23/2020 8:46:24 PM

I recon we may well see the little green men turning up pretty soon. As they say: if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but denies it is a duck- then it is a Russian duck.

[Read More]
----------------------------------
I’m not worried about the Third World War. That’s the Third World’s problem.
George
Centre Hastings
ON Canada
And so it begins...
Posted on: 1/24/2020 7:02:01 AM

A little disturbing. And the good priest is a Russian naval officer as well?? I think that I would be suspicious.

Kai, who are these Pomors?

And have the dual citizenship Norwegian/Russians begun to express any desire to have their area join Russia, kind of like a Crimean scenario?

Cheers,

George
kaii
Oslo
 Norway
And so it begins...
Posted on: 1/24/2020 12:44:32 PM

George,

the Pomors were settlers from Novgorod/Russia that travelled to settle the Northern coast along the White Sea and the Kola Peninsula.

So far there has been no demands to "rejoin the motherland", I think mostof the Russians liing in Kirkenes are actually happy they don't live in Russia. Whilst this is not of anyimmediate concern, the scenario is being set up slowly bit by bit, so that in a crisis situation, the Russians could "do a Crimea". Street signs in Kirkenes are now bilingual and a decent percentage of children in schools and kindergardens are now Russians. For the region, which is as far away from Oslo as Morocco is, and as far east as Cairo in Egypt, the links to Russia have always been strong and there is even some resentment from the localpopulation towards the Norwegian military activities in the area.

K

I’m not worried about the Third World War. That’s the Third World’s problem.
George
Centre Hastings
ON Canada
And so it begins...
Posted on: 1/24/2020 4:58:09 PM

From what you have told us, Norway is always on guard on that border. I think that I better understand why.

Do the Russian-Norwegians resent the Norwegian military presence because they think that it will invite action from the Russian side or are they just generally upset because the military are upsetting the pace of life for them?

George
Brian Grafton
Victoria
BC Canada
And so it begins...
Posted on: 1/28/2020 7:14:27 PM

Kai, this is the second time (I believe) you have cited the Barents Observer. And for the second time, the story appears just to be a story, except that there is at least the possibility of there being a twist in the story's tale. Here's another article on the same subject, from the same source:
[Read More]

Pardon me for asking a bunch of ignorant questions here:
• What distinguishes the various historically semi-nomadic peoples (Lapps, Pomors, Samis, Samoyed) in the region?They appear to share similar linguistic roots. Their means of existence seems somewhat similar, though not entirely.
• I know nothing of the religious denominations in the area. Is the Russian Orthodox Church wide-spread, or is this a truly distinctive Pomor characteristic? And is their Orthodoxy unorthodox, so to speak?
• At least some info I've found seems to stress the maritime nature of their existence, which makes sense given that Pomor can be translated roughly as "Maritimer". I have also seen some references to Spitzbergen when discussing the Pomors, and to exploration east from the White Sea. Now Spitzbergen is further north than Murmansk or Kirkenes and a hell of a distance from the mainland. That would make these folk latter-day Vikings, IMHO.

So if the second article from the Barents Observer is accurate, there seems to be at least a two-pronged effort to restate (and reinstate) Pomori influence in the region, which is interesting since the traditional Pomori lands were some 350+ km to the east.

Most ignorant question of all. IIUC, many of the cultural groups in that area of the world (Lapps, Sami, Pomori, Samoyed) are largely autonomous groups who have some control over their political or social affiliation. Would you say there are similarities with Kurdish claims to autonomy, or am I just waving my hands in the dark?

You raise some wonderful issues, Kai. They offer scope for much learning and questioning, however poor the learning is or the questions might be. Thanks.

Cheers
Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC