MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

General History
Page 100 of 115 (Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99    100    101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115 )
Centre Hastings ON Canada
This day in World History! Continued
11/22/2023 9:44:17 AM
Quote:
Hi George,

The blockade generally took place away from British waters, as the French fleet couldn't stand up to the RN's powerful ships of the line. Instead, the French employed privateers to raid British maritime commerce overseas. This required the RN to build new types of ships, known as 'Bermudas', to pursue the lighter French privateers, as the available existing RN ships were generally designed for line combat.

The RN changed tactics, much in the way its ancestors had done during the wars with Spain and the Dutch generations before. The Royal Navy retained its heavy force, but started to employ more mobile craft able to operate from small overseas ports, on the high seas and on the Great Lakes to counter their nimble opponents.

I don't quite agree with Phil that Britain was more imperiled in the Napoleonic Wars than during the world wars; Britain was still able to largely feed itself at this point as the population was much lower, so the blockade was unlikely to cause much harm in the way of shortages of essentials. During the world wars, were ran dangerously low on foodstuffs like wheat flour on a few occasions due to the submarine presence. In the Napoleonic era, the Royal Navy was able to transport army units and drafts with impunity.

Cheers,

Colin

Thanks Colin,

I was just thinking that if Napoleon was trying to blockade trade by Britain on the continent, Britain was also intercepting and blockading neutral trade ships to prevent them from trading with France. This was one of the grievances cited by the US when it decided to declare war in 1812.

This seems odd that both France and Britain were imposing blockades at the same time.

And still the RN had sufficient numbers of ships to impose another blockade along the eastern seaboard of the United States. By 1814, the large USN frigates that had bested smaller British frigates in single ship combat had either been destroyed or were confined to port. By the end of the war the US revenue intake from customs duties had slowed to a trickle. This is one of the reasons that the US was anxious to end the war as much as was Britain.

My point is that the RN was engaged in blockade and combat on both sides of the Atlantic. Remarkable I think.

In 1812 the RN had over 600 vessels in commission. Another 300 were not being used. Stationed in Halifax were one small ship of the line, seven frigates, nine smaller sloops and brigs, and five schooners. The USN had eight frigates, 14 smaller sloops and brigs, and no ships of the line.

By 1814, the RN was able to dispatch 135 vessels to fight against the Americans. I understand that some newer RN vessels were not as well constructed as in previous years and training was hurried. Still, the RN was able to fight the USN and the French and allied vessels.

One of the more ironic developments during this blockade is that the British actually needed some goods produced in the US, like grain which was needed to feed British troops in Portugal. So the British consul in Boston would issue licenses to neutral traders allowing them to pass through the blockade carrying goods that Britain wanted. Neutral vessels were able to depart from New York or Boston with this letter of authorization. This practice was curtailed in 1813.

Article on Wellington's attempts to feed his troops during the War of 1812

[Read More]

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
11/22/2023 11:44:18 AM
Moved from previous page for discussions, 11-20 in history, the following,

1815 the Quadruple Alliance is formed did it stop Napoleon?? How?

1820 the US whaling ship Essex, sinks?? So was Moby Dick, Melville's novel based on facts?? Anyone??

1925 Robert Kennedy was born sadly assassination cut what might have been a future President, short! Comments?

1992 huge fire in Windsor Castle destroys 115+ rooms! How did this happen? & How was it restored? Anyone with a good website on it??

1998 American Tobacco companies are to pay out over 200 billion dollars!? Was this just??

11-21, events,

1806 Napoleon tries to blockade Great Britain! The Continental System!? Say what?? How effective could this possibly be?? Please continue with current discussions!

2002 NATO expands with 7 more x Soviet countries! Why didn't Ukraine join? Are they members now?? Will they survive Russian invasion? What say you??

Today; 11-22's happenings! Old & New, comments & posts welcome!

1718, the pirate Black Beard was killed off the Coast of North Carolina! Anyone have the story??

1963 sadly in Dallas, Tx. President John F Kennedy is killed! was his security lacking? What say you?? Also it seems people remember where they were & it's effects on those around them? I was in Elementary school, & A lot of kids were crying! Anyone else wish to share??

1990 Margaret Thatcher resigns after her popularity diminished! She was the leader during the victorious Falklands War, so how did this happen? Anyone??

2005 Angela Merkel becomes Germany's 1st women Chancellor! How did she do? was she a good leader? Comments?

Regards,
MD

BTW this weekends Grey Cup went to the Montreal Alouettes, with a 28-24 win over Winnipeg Blue Bombers! Previously they upset the defending champs, the Toronto Argos! Sad day for the old city of York! What say you??
----------------------------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Phil Andrade
London  UK
11/22/2023 11:54:15 AM
Quote:

BTW The new movie on Napoleon is breaking in theaters soon, hear any thing about it??

Hi Dave,

Having just returned from seeing the movie, let me tell you that you must not attach credence to it if you seek an accurate depiction.

But we absolutely loved it, and were captivated throughout .

The acting was first rate and the visual impact powerful.

The battlefield scenes were more than impressive, and the bedroom vignettes were a bit graphic : instead of worrying about whether to call Napoleon “ Buonaparte “ or “ Bonaparte” , from now on I’ll settle for “ BONER- part “ 😂

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
morris crumley
Dunwoody GA USA
11/22/2023 12:12:48 PM

Sixty years ago today I was in Mrs. Smith`s second grade history class at Hawthorn Elementary School. We we going from desk to desk, taking turns reading out loud from our lesson book. Without warning or any introduction, the PA intercom started to blare out reports that many of us assumed must be one of those " You Were There" recordings of the Lincoln assassination. Then...we heard them mention Dallas.

Another teacher knocked on the door, and Mrs Smith stepped outside into the hallway and closed the door behind her. When she came back in she was crying and sat at her desk listening to the intercom.

They sent us home a little early, and when I got home mom was crying too. It was a hard day for a seven year old to understand. Hard to understand even now, but I can still remember the smallest of details of that day.

As most everyone, we spent the next two days glued to the television, and I remember sitting at our kitchen table, working on a model of a army jeep late Sunday morning.....when Oswald was shot by Jack Ruby.

It was surreal!

Respects, Morris
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
11/22/2023 2:28:49 PM
I was in the seventh grade then. Yeah, surreal. My first real introduction to the adult world of politics. I campaigned for Kennedy as a school kid. Remember who he ran against?
George
11/22/2023 2:46:35 PM
Quote:

Sixty years ago today I was in Mrs. Smith`s second grade history class at Hawthorn Elementary School. We we going from desk to desk, taking turns reading out loud from our lesson book. Without warning or any introduction, the PA intercom started to blare out reports that many of us assumed must be one of those " You Were There" recordings of the Lincoln assassination. Then...we heard them mention Dallas.

Another teacher knocked on the door, and Mrs Smith stepped outside into the hallway and closed the door behind her. When she came back in she was crying and sat at her desk listening to the intercom.

They sent us home a little early, and when I got home mom was crying too. It was a hard day for a seven year old to understand. Hard to understand even now, but I can still remember the smallest of details of that day.

As most everyone, we spent the next two days glued to the television, and I remember sitting at our kitchen table, working on a model of a army jeep late Sunday morning.....when Oswald was shot by Jack Ruby.

It was surreal!

Respects, Morris

Thanks for that reminder, Morris. There were a lot of people who admired Mr. Kennedy around the world. I realize that not everyone could agree with his politics at times and as it turns out, he was a flawed human being. But in 1963 he represented hope for our futures. I found him to be an inspirational speaker.

I knew little of the Cuban Crisis or the Bay of Pigs fiasco but here was a charismatic leader so unlike many that had come before. And so even with that I recall that he was instrumental in effecting a partial ban on nuclear testing. At 14 years of age and in grade 9 I believe, I really didn't know how effective that ban was but for someone who had grown up with the fear of nuclear Armageddon, Kennedy seemed like a saviour to me.

And then he was gone. CBC news announced it to Canada and we were all in shock. I cannot recall whether his death was announced at school or not. Coming home from school, I found my Mom in tears, too. Canadians keep a close eye on US politics and Kennedy seemed like a man with whom we could work and who wanted to work with us.

Part of Kennedy's speech to the Canadian Parliament in 1961

Quote:
Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners. And necessity has made us allies. Those whom nature hath so joined together, let no man put asunder.
. He could do that; he could make you feel that all would be well.

I now know that JFK didn't like one of our PM's, John Diefenbaker, and he sent his personal pollster to Canada to assist in any way that he could in the defeat of "Dief" in the next federal election in 1962-63. He didn't mind interfering in Canadian politics but I didn't know that in 1963.

I think the tragedy is that we all expected this man to lead us into a new era of prosperity and peace. Naive perhaps but that is how I felt. A very sad day in '63 indeed as we would never know how much he could have accomplished.

Cheers,

George
scoucer
Berlin  Germany
11/22/2023 3:10:53 PM
Quote:

It was surreal!

Respects, Morris

Yes Morris, I remember it well. I was also seven and because of the time zones it was night time. The first time I saw my tough dock worker dad cry. They even forgot to send me to bed.

Travelling oft on the bus that stops at John F. Kennedy Square I look across at Rathaus Schöneberg ( used to be the West Berlin Town Hall ) and can see the balcony where he made his famous "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech. Many years ago, I was in Rathaus Schöneberg receiving an Award. I asked if I could stand on the balcony. They said if you want to. It was amazing to actually stand on the spot where he gave the speech, the film footage going through my head and the memories of that day back in 1963.

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
11/22/2023 5:51:06 PM
The news hit hard and the memory is so clear in my mind . The youngest in my family, I was the first to get the news and remember my dad’s reaction when I told him.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
morris crumley
Dunwoody GA USA
11/23/2023 8:44:25 AM
Trevor, what an amazing speech that was.

"There are some who say communism is the way of the future.....let them come to Berlin."

"All free men are citizens of Berlin. And so, as a free man, I take pride in saying, 'Ich bin ein Berliner!'

Respects, Morris
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
11/23/2023 8:54:57 AM

11-22's happenings! Old & New, comments & posts welcome!

1718, the pirate Black Beard was killed off the Coast of North Carolina! Anyone have the story??

1990 Margaret Thatcher resigns after her popularity diminished! She was the leader during the victorious Falklands War, so how did this happen? Anyone??

2005 Angela Merkel becomes Germany's 1st women Chancellor! How did she do? was she a good leader? Comments?

11-23 & today in World History! New comments or carry on with old ones!!??

1765 People in the Colonies are reputting the Stamp Act!? Were they in the right??

1863 the Union wins the Battle of Chattanooga! How important was this especially to transportation??. Anyone? How did they win, on Confederate home turf??

Happy Thanksgiving!
Regards,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Phil Andrade
London  UK
11/23/2023 9:27:39 AM
Quote:

"There are some who say communism is the way of the future.....let them come to Berlin."

"All free men are citizens of Berlin. And so, as a free man, I take pride in saying, 'Ich bin ein Berliner!'

Respects, Morris

Isn’t “ein Berliner” a popular name for a donut, as used by the residents of that city ?

Regards, Phil
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
11/23/2023 10:42:23 AM
https://www.florianmueck.com/2012/04/22/ich-bin-ein-berliner-speech-analysis/#:~:text=Kennedy%20gave%20his%20famous%20%E2%80%9CIch,movement%20between%20East%20and%20West.
morris crumley
Dunwoody GA USA
11/23/2023 11:14:10 AM
Chattanooga was lost because of a bad Confederate Army commander, Braxton Bragg. Having lost the city initially without the firing of a single shot, he then ignored a victory by his army at Chickamauga, convinced that it was a defeat because his plan had failed...ignoring the retreat of the Federal army from that field.

A captured confederate private had managed to escape and was taken to Bragg to inform him of the total rout of the Federals. How they were leaving their wounded in the rush to get back to Chattanooga and could be attacked and further routed.

Bragg fixed the man with a glare that told of his disbelief in the soldiers competence to understand such things, and said, "What do you know about an army in retreat. Do you even know what that looks like?"

"Yes sir," the private replied, "I`ve been in your army during the campaign of this whole year."

Bragg then proceeded to carry out a plan that Longstreet sarcastically described as "...a siege, an envelopment of the city on the three sides from which they could not obtain sustenance and supply anyway."

Bragg then had a strong position on Missionary Ridge and had a defensive line drawn up on the topographical crest of the ridge.....not the tactical crest of the ridge...drawn up by the same chief of engineer he then sent to advise Longstreet on the assault of Ft. Sanders at Knoxville.

Respects, and Happy Thanksgiving to all! Morris
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
11/23/2023 11:38:39 AM
Quote:

Easy access to Kennedy's speech!
scoucer
Berlin  Germany
11/23/2023 3:01:38 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Respects, Morris

Isn’t “ein Berliner” a popular name for a donut, as used by the residents of that city ?

Regards, Phil

Yes, a raspberry jam do-nut, traditionally eaten on New Years Eve.

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
11/24/2023 9:12:47 AM
Note, the last undiscussed topics? Last chance to comment on them??

1815 the Quadruple Alliance is formed did it stop Napoleon?? How? The new movie on Napoleon sounds entertaining, if nothing else? Any more comments??

1820 the US whaling ship Essex, sinks?? So was Moby Dick, Melville's novel based on facts?? Anyone??

1992 huge fire in Windsor Castle destroys 115+ rooms! How did this happen? & How was it restored? Anyone with a good website on it??

1998 American Tobacco companies are to pay out over 200 billion dollars!? Was this just??

1806 Napoleon tries to blockade Great Britain! The Continental System!? Say what?? How effective could this possibly be? Thanks for your comments!

2002 NATO expands with 7 more x Soviet countries! Why didn't Ukraine join? Are they members now?? Will they survive Russian invasion? What say you??

New end of November topics! Comments or posts?? Anyone?

Today 11-24, in world history;

The state of South Carolina lead by John Calhoun, adapts a policy of Nullification! The came close to succeeding from the Union even back then!? Why was it that South Carolina couldn't get out of the Union fast enouph!?? What say you??

1859 Charles Darwin published the origin of the species! Why do many people still today don't believe it?? Anyone?

2001 the Country of Turkey finally grant married women equality in a marriage! Why do Muslims keep women down!?? Comments??

& tomorrow 11-25

1863, Grant's forces win the battle of Missionary Ridge, the Rebs had the high ground yet they lost! How did they manage that?? Anyone??

1942 the US is already working on the Atomic bomb, why did it take so long to develop?? Comments??

2016 Fidel Castro dies. Is Cuba less Communist today?? What say you?? If the US had taken over would Cuba be a wealthy tropical paradise like Florida?? What say you?

Lots to discuss here!? Pitch in MHO??
Regards,
MD
George
11/24/2023 9:35:03 AM
Quote:
2016 Fidel Castro dies. Is Cuba less Communist today?? What say you?? If the US had taken over would Cuba be a wealthy tropical paradise like Florida?? What say you?

Well, the US dominated the economy of Cuba for decades. The island's poor were little more than serfs and victimized by wealthy foreigners and the wealthy elite, primarily white Cubans. Some of the wealthy foreigners were members of US organized crime elements.

Quote:
By the late '50s, U.S. financial interests included 90 percent of Cuban mines, 80 percent of its public utilities, 50 percent of its railways, 40 percent of its sugar production and 25 percent of its bank deposits—some $1 billion in total. American influence extended into the cultural realm, as well. Cubans grew accustomed to the luxuries of American life. They drove American cars, owned TVs, watched Hollywood movies and shopped at Woolworth's department store. The youth listened to rock and roll, learned English in school, adopted American baseball and sported American fashions.
. source: Smithsonian magazine

Quote:
Not only was the economy weakening as a result of U.S. influence, but Cubans were also offended by what their country was becoming: a haven for prostitution, brothels and gambling.

source: Smithsonian magazine

We may not be pleased that a communist government replaced the corrupt dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista but the Cubans grew weary of poverty and loss of sovereignty and crime. Perhaps it is time to recognize that the Cubans must control their own future and hopefully it won't look like that that we see in Florida. Perhaps if permitted to create a more vibrant economy, the Cubans will develop their own version of paradise. Right now they have a long way to go because of external restrictions placed upon them.

[Read More]

Cheers,

George

OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
11/24/2023 9:42:19 AM
You didn't mention the nukes.
morris crumley
Dunwoody GA USA
11/24/2023 10:13:01 AM
Why the dig at Florida?
George
11/24/2023 12:34:50 PM
Quote:
You didn't mention the nukes.

Lots to unwrap there, OP. Do you not think that had the US behaved differently toward Castro and immediately sought a working relationship perhaps with financial support, that Castro's need to climb into bed with the USSR could have been prevented?

George
George
11/24/2023 12:39:41 PM
Quote:
Why the dig at Florida?

MD mentioned Florida, Morris, as a place and lifestyle to which Cubans should aspire. I don't feel that hundreds of condos and hotels along beautiful beach fronts is paradise. And I have been to Florida a number of times and quite enjoyed some of the small towns and out of the way places. But you are never very far from the tourist traps. Cuba already had that before the revolution and the regular folks didn't benefit from that. Cuba needs significant investment to establish a diverse economy. Right now they still rely upon money from tourism for cash flow.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
11/24/2023 4:27:45 PM
Remember George,

Florida has Disneyworld, perhaps Cuba could of had Castroworld!!?? ☺

Regards,
MD
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
11/24/2023 6:59:14 PM
Havana was famous for casinos. Casinos usually have "workin' girls" around.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
11/25/2023 9:50:55 AM

Yesterday, 11-24,

The state of South Carolina lead by John Calhoun, adapts a policy of Nullification! The came close to succeeding from the Union even back then!? Why was it that South Carolina couldn't get out of the Union fast enouph!?? What say you??

1859 Charles Darwin published the origin of the species! Why do many people still today don't believe it?? Anyone?

2001 the Country of Turkey finally grant married women equality in a marriage! Why do Muslims keep women down!?? Comments??

Today, 11-25 ,

1863, Grant's forces win the battle of Missionary Ridge, the Rebs had the high ground yet they lost! How did they manage that?? Anyone??

1942 the US is already working on the Atomic bomb, why did it take so long to develop?? Comments??

& Tomorrow, 11-26,

1894 Czar Nicholas marries Alexandria, the last royalty of Russia! What happened to them? Anyone??

1917 the NHL is formed, you have to love NHL hockey!? Comments??

Today in 1941 the US Secretary of State Cordell Hull, tells Japan to vacate China, & Korea! Did this action lead to Pearl Harbor? Explain??

Regards,
MD
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
11/25/2023 1:16:22 PM
"Today in 1941 the US Secretary of State Cordell Hull, tells Japan to vacate China, & Korea! Did this action lead to Pearl Harbor? Explain??"

The Japanese Fleet was already inbound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor#/media/File:PearlHarborCarrierChart.jpg

George
11/25/2023 2:27:33 PM
Quote:

A tad unfair, MD. There are countries with primarily Muslim populations that are considered to be liberal. There are also countries whose people worship as Orthodox Christians and are not progressive at all. (see Georgia, Moldova)

As for Muslim countries, Turkey is actually more progressive than many other countries. Bosnia and Herzegovina and Albania are more progressive Muslim countries.

EDIT: Turkey is actually listed as a secular country with a large Muslim population. I looked up the names of secular states with primarily Muslim populations. Of the 50 states that are primarily Muslim, 22 are listed as secular.

It would be unwise to describe all Muslims as unprogressive or to say that all Muslim countries are unprogressive.

Here is an article on the subject of freedom in Muslim countries as published by the Cato Institute

[Read More]

Check out this Pew Research article on orthodox Christian countries with conservative views on gender equality.

[Read More]

We tend to look at others through our personal lenses and so while it may be difficult to find a primarily Muslim country with the same degree of freedom for all as we find in North America or northern Europe, they do not all practice total subjugation of women, as an example. And we have a ways to go to ensure complete gender equality with equal access to employment at the same rate of pay and to ensure that women have absolute control over their reproductive rights and desire to become pregnant.

Cheers,

George

George
11/25/2023 2:51:51 PM
Quote:
1917 the NHL is formed, you have to love NHL hockey!? Comments??

Hockey is woven into the fabric of Canada. It has been played for a long time but popularized in the 19th century. There are a number of places in Canada that claim to be the birthplace of the game.

Professional hockey existed well before the formation of the NHL. A Canadian who had moved to Michigan decided to import hockey players from Canada and to pay them to play. Other clubs had to follow suit.

In 1904 the International League formed but it folded in 1907.

The Eastern Canada Amateur Hockey League decided to allow pros to play in 1906. There were pro teams in little hamlets in northern Canada.

A man named John Ambrose O'Brien of Renfrew, Ontario became the co-founder of the National Hockey Association in 1909.

Salaries began to rise because the NHA was in competition with the Pacific Hockey Association for players and it looked as though the NHA was going to have to fold in 1917. The league didn't have sufficient numbers of good, young players. Check the year. Many of the young athletes in Canada were in Europe, fighting a war. Only the older players were left to play and people weren't coming to the games.

Apparently the owners of the NHA teams were fighting with one another as well. The owners got together and decided that one club with an annoying owner had to go. The 5 team NHA became the 4 team NHL

So in 1917, the NHL was comprised of the Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators and Toronto Arenas.

I think that expansion has diluted the quality of play in the NHL but the game itself is now popular in many places around the world.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
11/25/2023 10:05:48 PM
Quote:

Hockey is woven into the fabric of Canada. It has been played for a long time but popularized in the 19th century. There are a number of places in Canada that claim to be the birthplace of the game.

The Eastern Canada Amateur Hockey League decided to allow pros to play in 1906. There were pro teams in little hamlets in northern Canada.

A man named John Ambrose O'Brien of Renfrew, Ontario became the co-founder of the National Hockey Association in 1909.

Salaries began to rise because the NHA was in competition with the Pacific Hockey Association for players and it looked as though the NHA was going to have to fold in 1917. The league didn't have sufficient numbers of good, young players. Check the year. Many of the young athletes in Canada were in Europe, fighting a war. Only the older players were left to play and people weren't coming to the games.

Apparently the owners of the NHA teams were fighting with one another as well. The owners got together and decided that one club with an annoying owner had to go. The 5 team NHA became the 4 team NHL

So in 1917, the NHL was comprised of the Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators and Toronto Arenas.

I think that expansion has diluted the quality of play in the NHL but the game itself is now popular in many places around the world.

Cheers,

George

George,

The NHL should have remained a Canadian game, & league, as it was in 1917, most of the players are Canadian, anyway! & then the Champion would always be Canadian!

Go Canadian Hockey, NHL!
What say you??
Cheers,
MD
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
11/26/2023 7:39:19 AM
D
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
11/26/2023 7:42:41 AM
Note, possible topics not yet discussed, A last shot at them, anyone?

1806 Napoleon tries to blockade Great Britain! The Continental System!? Say what?? How effective could this possibly be?? Anyone??

1942 the US is already working on the Atomic bomb, why did it take so long to develop?? Comments anyone?

1894 Czar Nicholas marries Alexandria, the last royalty of Russia! What happened to them? Anyone??

1981 Actress Natalie Wood drowns off Catalina Island, California! At 1st it was ruled an accidential death, but after 2 investigations later now its ruled a suspicious death! & maybe her husband actor Robert Wagner was responsible? What say you? Any detectives out there? BTW I have been to that island, its really cool!

Lots to discuss here!?
Regards,
MD

New historical events for comments?

11-27, today in world history;

1895, the Nobel Prizes for peace, literature, & most recognized categories are established! Is this a fair judgement, or a popularity contest?? Anyone?

1942 the French Navy scuttled 73 ships at Toulon so that the Nazis don't get them!? How did Hitler react to this?? What say you??

1942 Jimi Hendrix is born! Was he the best Rock guitarists of all time?? Comments?

1943 Gerald Ford becomes the Vice President of the United States, this fair & decent man, later becomes President! What say you about the x center of the U of M football team!? anyone? M go Blue!!

& 11-28, tomorrow in world history,

1720 female pirates Mary Read & Anne Bonny are captured but allowed to live because they were pregnant!? What say you about female pirates?? & did your country have pirates??

1757 William Blake English man of Arts was born! What legacy did he leave us with? Anyone?

1960 Mauritania declares independence! They have a star, & Crescent moon on their flag! What does that represent? What other countries have this?? What say you??

Comments, & Regards,
MD

George
11/26/2023 8:02:38 AM
Quote:
George,

The NHL should have remained a Canadian game, & league, as it was in 1917, most of the players are Canadian, anyway! & then the Champion would always be Canadian!

Go Canadian Hockey, NHL!
What say you??
Cheers,
MD

The percentage of Canadians in the NHL has declined with expansion. Canada has a lot of hockey players and I believe that most of the top players are still Canadian. But with expansion to 30 teams, it is impossible for Canada to produce sufficient numbers of players of higher quality to fill the rosters.

So the percentage of players who are Canadian are now at 43%. 28% are American. I expect that the decline will continue with each expansion. There are a number of American born players in the NHL whose fathers played in US cities and then settled down to raise their families in those cities. Those people established hockey programmes for their kids and all the other kids. St. Louis is a prime example of that.

One thing that expansion has done has introduced us to the excellent players that have been developed around the world. Borje Salming of Sweden wasn't the first European import but he was the most impactful. A whole new stock of potential players for NHL teams became available as management wondered how many more Salming's there were in Europe.

Cheers,

George

George
11/26/2023 8:11:38 AM
Quote:
1960 Mauritania declares independence! They have a star, & Crescent moon on their flag! What does that represent? What other countries have this?? What say you??

It's called the Islamic Republic of Mauritania. That should give us a clue about the markings on their flag.

The crescent moon and star are symbolic of the Muslim observance of Ramadan. I taught kids who had to fast during the daylight hours of the whole month of Ramadan. The experience is supposed to bring them closer to God. I recall that we used to have difficulty in setting exam schedules for these kids. At least, the parents didn't want us to start exams on the first day of Ramadan. I cannot recall the reason.

I had to investigate a bit but according to google, Algeria, Azerbaijan, Comoros, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Pakistan, Tunisia, and Turkey all have a crescent moon and star on their flag. If there are more, someone please weigh in.

Of note, in a previous post I described Azerbaijan and Turkey as ostensibly secular in their approach to governance.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
11/26/2023 6:08:57 PM
George

Actually there are 2 more countries with a crescent moon, & star in their flags. Turkmenistan, & Uzebekistan. Two countries I never heard of??

What say you?
Regards,
MD
George
11/26/2023 7:55:27 PM
Quote:
George

Actually there are 2 more countries with a crescent moon, & star in their flags. Turkmenistan, & Uzebekistan. Two countries I never heard of??

What say you?
Regards,
MD

It would require a good deal more in the way of research to determine the degree to which some of these countries operate in a secular manner. They are all quite different cultures that share a religion but may not allow religion to influence the way that they govern. Some of them are multi-faith cultures too with Islam as the predominant faith.

Cheers,

George
George
11/26/2023 8:32:26 PM
Quote:
1942 the French Navy scuttled 73 ships at Toulon so that the Nazis don't get them!? How did Hitler react to this?? What say you??

The British had bombed the French fleet on July 3, 1940 to prevent the Vichy ships from falling into Nazi hands.

By Nov. 1942 the Nazis had decided to violate their agreements with Vichy France which granted them some independence over Vichy controlled territory. When the Nazis invaded that Vichy territory, they effectively ended any pretence to independence that Vichy may have experienced.

But why did that French Admiral at Toulon not weigh anchor and sail his fleet away? I believe that some submarines violated orders to scuttle and sailed away. I realize that German forces were surrounding Toulon but was the Kreigsmarine sitting offshore to prevent the French fleet from sailing? The French forces did resist the approaching German forces on land and some of the ships fired on German tanks.

Cheers,

George
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
11/26/2023 9:02:54 PM
A lot of French departures were apparently abrupt. The Lend Lease documents show that the Free French Air Forces received, among other things, eight sets of salt and pepper shakers from the US.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
11/27/2023 7:16:26 AM

11-27, this day in world history!

1895, the Nobel Prizes for peace, literature, & most recognized categories are established! Is this a fair judgement, or a popularity contest?? Anyone?

1942 the French Navy scuttled 73 ships at Toulon so that the Nazis don't get them!? How did Hitler react to this?? What say you?? Nice post by George, see above!

1942 Jimi Hendrix is born! Was he the best Rock guitarists of all time?? Comments?

1943 Gerald Ford becomes the Vice President of the United States, this fair & decent man, later becomes President! What say you about the x center of the U of M football team!? anyone? M go Blue!!

11-28 in history,

1720 female pirates Mary Read & Anne Bonny are captured but allowed to live because they were pregnant!? What say you about female pirates?? & did your country have pirates??

1757 William Blake English man of Arts was born! What legacy did he leave us with? Anyone?

1960 Mauritania declares independence! They have a star, & Crescent moon on their flag! What does that represent? What other countries have this?? Thanks for the replies, George.

11-29's events,

1947 Palestine is partitioned! Why did this occur? Any effects of this with today's crisis? What say you? Comments?

1850 Prussia, & Austria sign a agreement! Why are these 2 countries always connected??

1929 Richard Byrd flies over the South Pole, did others fly over the poles? I later heard of the attempt by balloons? How did this turn out? Comments anyone??

Regards,
MD
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
11/27/2023 7:22:43 AM
Quote:
"Today in 1941 the US Secretary of State Cordell Hull, tells Japan to vacate China, & Korea! Did this action lead to Pearl Harbor? Explain??"

The Japanese Fleet was already inbound.

[Read More]

Wow thanks OP!

That's a great map ,& article! I always picture the IJN attack fleet streaming towards Pearl. Now I can track them!?

Any more comments on the trip made by the IJN carriers & the fleet on this secret attack!?

With all due respect to the Brits, I imagine that WSC was a little relieved that this finally brought the US into the war on his side!??

Regards,
MD
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
11/27/2023 7:43:51 AM
I have a few thousand pages of original documents archived at http://www.ibiblio.org/pha, it was my primary site until I joined Patrick Clancey at Hyperwar. Free to all, as is Hyperwar.
scoucer
Berlin  Germany
11/27/2023 9:53:44 AM
1850 Prussia, & Austria sign a agreement! Why are these 2 countries always connected??

Because they were both members of the German Confederation, the post-Napoleonic successor to the Holy Roman Empire.
"The German War" in 1866 referred to as the "Austro-Prussian War"in english speaking spheres was about who would dominate the Confederation.

Trevor
Page 100 of 115 (Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99    100    101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115 )

© 2024 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC