MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

General History
Page 11 of 115 (Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    11    12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115 )
Muskegon MI USA
This day in World History! Continued
5/3/2022 2:45:35 PM
Quote:
Today May 2, in history!

2014 Pete Seegar the great folk singer passed away at 94! Would anyone want to say a few words on Pete??

1979 Margaret Thatcher becomes the 1st women's leader in Europe, & the longest term for a British Prime minister?! What say you about the Ironlady?? Remember her place in the Falklands War!??

2016 huge fire in Fort MacMurry Alberta 80K were evacuated! Anyone on this dangerous blaze!??

1970 4 students killed by National Guard fire in Kent State Ohio! How could this possibly happen? Anyone??

1942 the US Fleet turns back the IJN fleet in the Coral Sea how did this help. Australia??

1863 the Battle of Chancillorsville happens how did Stonewall Jackson do?? Anyone?

Any other events?
Regards,
MD

Checking 5-3 in history, what about these??

1568 French forces in Florida slaughter hundreds of Spaniards! Why?? Anyone??

1865 Abraham Lincoln's funeral train arrives in Springfield Illinois! How many citizens lined the train route? Anyone?.& what if Lincoln had lived??

1926 US Marines land on Nicaragua! What ever for? I thought we were at peace with this country? Anyone??

1948 the US Supreme Court rules against certain monopolies! Is today's Supreme court fair, & bipartisan? Also is it to powerful?? What say you??

1982 A British Sub sinks Agentina's largest naval vessel, in the Falklands War! Margaret Thatcher ordered its sinking!? Was she correct in doing so? Anyone on the specifics??

New comments & topics welcome!? Anyone??
MD
----------------------------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/3/2022 4:14:32 PM
Quote:
1926 US Marines land on Nicaragua! What ever for? I thought we were at peace with this country? Anyone?

IIRC, this was just one invasion, incursion, occupation or assault by the US in its attempt to bring much of the Caribbean and Latin America under US economic control. The various events, running from the end of the Spanish-American War to the year of FDR’s inauguration, were known collectively as “The Banana Wars”. This was the great age of US imperialism – empire building in everything but name – and IMHO was even more wide-spread than normally stated. I believe the Kingdom of Hawaii was overthrown by the Doles and other rich plantation owners, backed by US armed militia.

The following link gives a good background to The Banana Wars:
[Read More]

Cheers
Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
George
Centre Hastings ON Canada
5/3/2022 9:25:22 PM
Quote:
1948 the US Supreme Court rules against certain monopolies! Is today's Supreme court fair, & bipartisan? Also is it to powerful?? What say you??

To this outsider, the selection process is flawed. Far too much is on display and it seems that the political bent and ideological bent of the candidates is as important as the candidate's legal bona fides.

But I do not fully understand the selection process. Is the vetting process at arm's length of the office of the President and the party that he represents?

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/4/2022 4:03:12 PM
Hi George,

I'm with you on this, the process is to politically biased! Their has to be a more fair process?? Perhaps qualified judges run for the SC, independently, & are elected by the people?? I don't know? I just know it's not fair the way it is??

Regards,
MD

BTW, thanks Bri. for the eye opener on the Banana Wars!
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/5/2022 8:49:02 AM
Today 5-5 in history! Check the following, Comments??

1494 Columbus land in Jamaica, what a big mistaka for the natives! Comments??

1814 the British attack the Americans at Fort Ontario! Who won?? Comments?

1821 Napoleon dies on the Island of St. Helena, some say he was poisoned?. What say you??

1916 US invades the Dominican Republic! Another Banana War attack??

1945 Holland & Denmark are freed from the Nazis! Any details??

1961 Alan Shepard becomes 1st American in space! What's it's significance? Comments?

Any other new items??
Regards,
MD
George
5/5/2022 2:05:07 PM
Quote:
1945 Holland & Denmark are freed from the Nazis! Any details??

In earlier posts I have commented on the liberation of most of the Netherlands by Canadian forces. The total effort in the Netherlands from the Battle of the Scheldt onward was costly for the Canadians. British and American forces had also liberated some parts of Netherlands in the SE. The US lost a lot of men around Maastricht in Sept. of 1944 in freeing the Dutch people there.

The last battle in Holland involving Canadians took place at Otterlo on April 16/17. The 5th CDN Armoured Division had taken Otterlo on the 16th. They moved on and left a battalion to occupy Otterlo. But a group of 800-900 Germans were trying to get to western Holland which was still occupied by the German army and they re-occupied the town. The Canadians returned with tanks and WASP flamethrowers and that sent the Germans running. Otterloo was the last combat in Netherlands and it cost the Germans about 300 killed. 12 Canadians lost their lives in a battle that did not have to happen had the Germans been content to surrender.

The western part of the Netherlands was not bombed or attacked and the Canadian Army had lined up on the Grebbe line, preparing to attack. However, a truce between the allies and the Germans allowed the allies to carry food to starving Netherlanders by plane and truck. That part of the Netherlands had been denied food by the Germans and many people starved to death.

The Canadians liberated Amsterdam on May 7 and Rotterdam and the Hague on May 8. The Hague was the HQ for the German occupiers and while Germany surrendered on the 4th, the city was not liberated until the 8th. The first troops to enter were the Princess Irene brigade which was a Dutch army unit attached to First Canadian Corps.

Denmark was a different story as that country, fearful of what a bombing by the Luftwaffe could do, capitulated early. The Danish King stayed in place and some sort of agreement on governance was arranged between Germany and Denmark. Some saw this as collaboration and indeed, the Nazis liked to point to Denmark as an example of people who were happy to have the German forces in their country. There were Danes who fought as Nazis but there were also thousands of Danes in the resistance and about 3000 of them were killed.

Danes also bravely ferried Danish Jews to Sweden to keep them out of the hands of the Nazis.

On May 4, the BBC broadcast into Denmark to tell them that the Germans had surrendered. The RN entered the harbour at Copenhagen and seized two German warships including Prince Eugen. Monty entered the city and the crowds turned out in the thousands to celebrate their liberation. No British, Canadian, American or Russians had ever fought on Danish soil during the war, I don't believe.

The Soviets were on their way though and in order to stop them, Monty determined that he had to get some troops to Wismar on the Baltic Sea. First Canadian Parachute Battalion was order to get there and they boarded trucks and tanks and off they went, hell bent for leather. They passed thousands of armed Germans who were trying to flee from the Soviets. They got to Wismar on May 2 and the German people there were happy to see them. Better them than the Russians.

Quote:
“The strangeness of the situation is that we are passing complete units of the Germany Army, lying by the roadside, some with vehicles, even horse-drawn artillery, but no shots are exchanged, no white flags were shown, and we cannot stop to disarm them.”
. source: Sgt. Andy Anderson, 1CanPara

Churchill felt that should they not be stopped, the Soviets would occupy northern Germany and Denmark, no matter what the Yalta agreement said.

When the Soviets showed up, there was a standoff between them and the Canadians. After a few shots of vodka, the CDN commander and the Soviet commander met and the Soviet demanded that the Canadians withdraw so that his armoured group could pass through. The CDN commander said no and the paras were ordered to prepare for combat. They would not have been able to stop an armoured unit. The Soviet commander convinced himself that these paratroopers must have significant support on the way. That was not true.

Still the Soviets dug in and guns were trained on Wismar. The Canadians said that they were there to stay.

Initial meeting between Canadians and Russians.

There were unconfirmed reports that Russian soldiers entered Wismar at night and killed some civilians. There were a number of Soviets shot but it has never been confirmed as to whether Canadians or German civilians shot them.

Eventually negotiations moved up to Monty and Soviet Marshall Rokossovsky. They agreed that the terms of the Yalta agreement would be honoured and unfortunately that meant that Wismar fell into the hands of the Soviets and would become a part of East Germany. In July, the allies moved back and the Soviets moved into Wismar.

To tie my windy story into Denmark, it is claimed that Denmark was saved from Soviet occupation by a very small band of Canadian paras. As well, as the standoff went on, thousands of German civilians and soldiers fled to the west.

[Read More]

Cheers,

George

Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/5/2022 9:55:26 PM
IIRC, on this day in 1955, almost ten years to the day after the surrender of the Third Reich, the Western Allies ended their occupation of Germany. This did not mean that western troops were withdrawn from German soil – but it meant West Germany was being welcomed into the western alliance. Although there were aa host of other issues connected with the decision to “free” Germany from occupation status, this was seen as a signal success for the Marshall Plan.

I was, at best, 14 years old (born 01.10.41) – too young to understand what was going on. But I remember an huge and entirely new bunches of consumer goods appearing, with names that were strange but would become well-known. VW is one. So are Grundig and Blaupunkt. They brought new design, new functionality (think of multiband radios) and a host of other changes to Western culture, and in some ways redefined the consumer culture of the west.

I’m not suggesting the event was a commercial event: it was not. This was, instead, a complete restructuring of the military and social connections of the post-war. Looking back on it, I believe the German recognition required a massive rethinking of the significance of the war.

But IMHO, this was a statement about the need to have a unified front against an increasingly aggressive Warsaw Bloc.

Cheers
Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/6/2022 10:53:39 PM
On this day in 1937, the German airship Hindenburg was enveloped in flames and crashed while docking at Lakehurst, New Jersey. Thirty-six of 97 on board were lost. Together with the loss of the British R-101, this at-the-time catastrophic air event probably brought an end to the development of airships as a viable mode of travel.

Two points:
First, I have never understood what the on-site reporter of the Hindenburg disaster meant to say when he uttered his “Oh, the humanity!”

Secondly, With the end of the British airship programs a man named Barnes Wallis moved to Vickers, joining their engineering/design team. There he developed his geodetic frame, which was used first on the RAF Wellesley bomber and then on the great Wellington, also known as the “Wimpy”, which was one of the finest bombers of the early war years.

Cheers,
Brian G
MikeMeech
 UK
5/7/2022 2:20:52 AM
Quote:
On this day in 1937, the German airship Hindenburg was enveloped in flames and crashed while docking at Lakehurst, New Jersey. Thirty-six of 97 on board were lost. Together with the loss of the British R-101, this at-the-time catastrophic air event probably brought an end to the development of airships as a viable mode of travel.

Two points:
First, I have never understood what the on-site reporter of the Hindenburg disaster meant to say when he uttered his “Oh, the humanity!”

Secondly, With the end of the British airship programs a man named Barnes Wallis moved to Vickers, joining their engineering/design team. There he developed his geodetic frame, which was used first on the RAF Wellesley bomber and then on the great Wellington, also known as the “Wimpy”, which was one of the finest bombers of the early war years.

Cheers,
Brian G

Hi

The British Airship construction ended after the loss of R 101 in October 1930. Barnes Wallis had been involved in airship design for sometime including the R 80 of 1920 and the R 100 of 1929 (which was a better design than the R 101 but was still broken up after the Government decision), these were Vickers designs so he was already with Vickers, he just moved onto aeroplanes.

Mike
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/7/2022 7:30:08 PM
Once more, Mike, thanks for the clarification. I didn’t realize the company building the R-100 was a Vickers subsidiary. Actually, I don’t remember reading that he taught in Switzerland in 1922 after the loss of the R-38. Much of my comment was from memory, I will admit, and was based on two books. The first was Morpurgo’s biography Barnes Wallis, which I read in the Penguin edition some time after 1973; the other was Neville Shute’s Slide Rule.

Again, thanks for setting the record straight.

Cheers
Brian G

Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/7/2022 7:30:38 PM
Once more, Mike, thanks for the clarification. I didn’t realize the company building the R-100 was a Vickers subsidiary. Actually, I don’t remember reading that he taught in Switzerland in 1922 after the loss of the R-38. Much of my comment was from memory, I will admit, and was based on two books. The first was Morpurgo’s biography Barnes Wallis, which I read in the Penguin edition some time after 1973; the other was Neville Shute’s Slide Rule.

Again, thanks for setting the record straight.

Cheers
Brian G

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/8/2022 6:56:03 PM
Check out 5-9 in history, comments? Anyone??

1502 4th & final voyage of Christopher Columbus occurs, how did it end? Was Columbus a great explorer? What say you??

1774 Louis XVI becomes King of France! How does his Reign go??

1775 Ethan Allan, & Benedict Arnold defeat the British at Fort Ticonderoga!! Why did Arnold turn traitor??

1857 Indian Mutiny in India how did it comeout? Anyone??

1865 Confederates President Jefferson Davis is captured by the 4th Michigan Cavalry including my GGGG Grandfather Andrew! Was he Jeff Davis dressed as A women as some have reported to try & escape?? Whats the truth?? What say you??

1869 the transcontinental railroad is completed in Utah! What happened to the gold spike? Anyone??

1874 Howard Carter, the discoverer of King Tuts Tomb is born! He & the other tomb openers died mysterious death! Do you believe the tomb was cursed???

1994 Nelson Mendella becomes president of S. Africa, why is this remarkable?? Anyone??

Comments on any of these or other new topics? Anyone??

Regards,
MD
George
5/8/2022 8:54:41 PM
Quote:
1775 Ethan Allan, & Benedict Arnold defeat the British at Fort Ticonderoga!! Why did Arnold turn traitor??

Benedict Arnold was a traitor when he decided to join the insurrection. Then he realized the error of his ways and rejoined the forces of his country.

The question really is why did he choose to return. And I think that it was a combination of things.

1. Despite being a favourite of Washington, Arnold was passed over for promotion to Major-General even after the Battle of Saratoga in which he played an important role. Congress bumped 5 lesser lights up in rank and ignored Arnold. I do not know why they did not consider him worthy but it certainly stung.

2. Congress praised Horatio Gates as the most important leader at Saratoga. That didn't sit will with Arnold.

3. Arnold was a twice wounded warrior (Quebec and Saratoga) and would live with pain for the rest of his life. That only increased his resentment of Congress.

4. Arnold was sent to Philadelphia as military governor. I don't believe that he was fit enough to command in the field at this time. He ran into conflict with a man named Reed who was the head of the Pennsylvania government. Some historians claim that Reed was out to get Arnold because Arnold stopped him from taking retributive action against Loyalists. Arnold had been ordered to maintain order.

Meanwhile, Arnold fell in love with Peggy Shippen from a Loyalist family. This is where it gets interesting.

Some writers claim that Peggy was responsible for his return to the British side. So did Peggy convince him that his future was with the British? Certainly she had contacts among British officers.

Or was Arnold convinced that he had to go because Mr. Reed trumped up a bunch of charges to discredit him?

5. Arnold had to endure a court-martial to answer the charges made against him. He was eventually acquitted on 6 of 8 charges. He was made to suffer a reprimand from his commander, Washington. Arnold had always felt that Washington was his supporter and the reprimand made Arnold feel that he had lost that support too.

And I think that that was it for Arnold. He could not abide the abuse especially from his commander.

He came into contact with British officers and the arrangements were made. Washington had given him the appointment at West Point to make up for Arnold's hurt feelings but it was too late.

Cheers,

George

Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/8/2022 10:51:55 PM
Not to mention that today is the anniversary of VE Day, at least for the western Allies. I find it interesting that German Chancellor Olaf Scholz will offer a televised speech to celebrate the 77th anniversary. In fact, he will already have offered it, though I’m offering the best reporting the Guardian can offer. According to that report:
“Ukraine will prevail over Russia as freedom prevailed over the Nazi dictatorship in 1945, the German chancellor, Olaf Scholz, will say in a TV address to mark the 77th anniversary of Victory in Europe Day, in which he will accuse Vladimir Putin of falsifying history.

In the speech, which will be aired on German TV at 8.20pm CET (7.20pm BST) on Sunday, Scholz says the “legacy of 8 May” for his country must be to help to ensure that there will never again be genocide or tyranny in Europe.

“I am deeply convinced. Putin will not win the war,” the centre-left politician says. “Ukraine will prevail. Freedom and safety will win, just like freedom and safety triumphed over servitude, violence and dictatorship 77 years ago.”

Scholz says it is “falsifying history and disgraceful” of Russia’s president to equate his own “barbaric war of aggression” with the fight against National Socialism. “It is our duty to state this clearly,” his speech says.”
IIUC, VE Day is not widely celebrated. It has become more a day of acknowledgment and remembrance.

In Russia, the celebration takes place on May 9, and recognizes the defeat of Nazism in the “Great Patriotic War”. IIUC, for Russia this, together with the celebration of the October revolution, is one of two days of patriotic extravagance. I’m not unaware of the greatness of the Soviet role in WW2, or of the incredible industrial efforts demanded from a nation a mere generation out of serfdom, or of the staggering losses suffered by the Russian people – 20,000,000+ lost in four years. Don’t misunderstand: I know that US and UK supplies and weapons (and designs), under Lend-Lease and other protocols, provided support which was crucial in the first 18 months of the Eastern War.

Maybe one reason nobody has raised 8 May on MHO is because we may see on 9 May a perverse manipulation of what has been a proud moment in Soviet military history.

I don’t know what to expect from the Kremlin tomorrow, but I’m expecting to see a revitalizaton of Newspeak. Nuance will be lost in the world of doubleplusnongood, and Mr Putin will sully a major Soviet (Russian) accomplishment by redefining it as a lie.

As a child, I remember VE Day. As a student, I recognize the enormous sacrifice of the Russian people. As a human, I hope Mr Putin doesn’t befoul that legacy.

Cheers
Brian G

Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/8/2022 10:52:27 PM
dup
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/8/2022 11:23:49 PM
Duly noted on his day in 1919:

[Read More]

The cynic in me wonders if i took an honour to catch George V’s attention. And I puzzle over the reasons to reduce the time of remembrance from Honey’s 5 mins to George V’s 2. But it is worth noting that an Aussie suggested a simple gesture which might honour those lost in WW1.

Cheers
Brian G
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/9/2022 8:14:54 PM
On 9 May 1936 Abyssinia was annexed by Italy as part of Italian East Africa, having been invaded from Eritrea on the night of 2/3 October 1935. A proclamation of its incorporation into Italian East Africa would be made on 1 June 1936.

The battle in Abyssinia was one-sided, matching modern weapons against bare-footed troops. It was also vicious – on both sides. Both sides were accused of using prohibited weapons. Italy complained about mistreatment of its imprisoned forces and about the use of dum-dum bullets by Abyssinian troops. Abyssinia accused Italy of using poison gas. The International Red Cross (IRC), as a neutral organization, was asked to investigate. They found little to substantiate Italian charges, though IIRC IRC delegates were allowed to meet with only a small number of Italian prisoners. On the other hand, IRC delegates found ample indications of Italian use of poison gas. Yet when asked by the League of Nations to submit their findings, the IRC refused, saying it would violate the neutrality under which it functioned.

I believe I read some decades ago that as Italian troopships sailed past Alexandria and through the Suez, they mocked British troops and matelots for not being ready to fight. Whether in the same source or on my own – I honestly can’t remember – I wondered whether this mockery might have been one reason why the British/Commonwealth troops were so effective against Italian forces both in Italian East Africa and the Western Desert when war was finally declared between the two nations.

Any other ideas about this largely forgotten campaign?

Cheers
Brian G
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/9/2022 10:12:07 PM
MD, you note for 8 May: Quote:
1502 4th & final voyage of Christopher Columbus occurs, how did it end? Was Columbus a great explorer? What say you?[
My sources say this 4th voyage was undertaken on 9 May 1502. Nitpicking, I know. But try telling folks in the US that Pearl Harbor took place on 7 Dec 1941!

I’m not sure of Columbus’s status as an explorer. He was looking for China, after all! That’s a glib comment, I know, but give it some thought. He undertook four voyages over a decade, and though he didn’t find China in 1492, he never looked for it anywhere else. Compared to Magellan or Vespucci – and maybe even John Cabot – he proved less than inquisitive. They took his initial findings a step further: “If this isn’t China (Cathay, the Indies – whatever you want to call it, then let’s search further!”, while he returned to the familiar.

What he was, IMHO, was a truly great pilot and navigator. IMHO, only Cook (some three centuries later) was his equal, and Cook had a chronometer. Columbus’ observations of sea conditions, tides, winds would have been noted in his personal sea diary, and it appears those observations were sufficiently accurate and thoughtful that he found his way back to the same general location four times. I would argue that that implies superb seamanship.

I know there are growing challenges to Columbus. I’m not wanting to stir that pot at all, though I think much of the argument pro or con is spurious and misinformed. All of the early voyagers were not sailing for themselves. They were sailing under (usually) royal patents, and were sworn to proclaim certain territorial claims wherever they found themselves. Their “pay” would be a percentage of the value of the voyage; perhaps nothing more. So it was in their interest to trade goods for processed ore, and to return with their hulls laden with rare and exotic items.

One other comment. I read recently (on one of the History Today-type sites) that Columbus encountered a Caribbean island on his voyage. I thought “encountered” to be a monstrous deflationary term, but perhaps a more accurate description of efforts and intention.

Cheers
Brian G
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/10/2022 12:11:24 PM
Hi Brian,

Your right it did occur on 5-9, but if you notice on my last list, on the top of it I put these happened on May 9th! Sometimes if not much happened on the day of, I'll move to the next day!

Sorry for the surprise change,
MD
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/10/2022 10:52:08 PM
10 may 1940 was a busy day in Europe and GB.

1. PM Neville Chamberlain resigned as PM, to be replaced by WSC.
2. Germany launched its invasion of Luxembourg, Holland, Belgium and France.

They are, according to some folks, linked events. I’m not so sure.

I believe that Chamberlain had simply lost of the confidence of both the Commons and of the populace. In October 1938 he had returned from Munich with “peace in our time” assured by a piece of paper signed by Hitler. As Hitler destroyed Czechoslovakia piece-meal, Chamberlain did change his I think honest and honourable) hope that Europe need not face a second war in a generation. But I think it was too late: he had lost his authority as a leader. This was made worse by the fiasco (in concert with France) of the defense of Norway, which failed miserably. It didn’t matter that WSC was the architect of the Norway defense initiative, or that he admitted his culpability frankly. Chamberlain was seen as the leader who was unable to control Hitler. By 10 May 1940, Chamberlain was worn out and belegured by his deficiencies, and he bowed to the will of the Commons and resigned. It was an act of honour – Chamberlain was an honourable man – made incidentally on a day when the European War expanded at least 10-fold. But I don’t think Chamberlain’s decision to resign was because of Germany’s assault on the west.

As to the invasion of Europe by Germany, it is pretty clear – despite arguments that certain counter-attacks by western allies came close to disrupting German Blitzkrieg success – that German force of arms prevailed time after time using slightly modified Blitzkrieg tactics. Although I know my views are somewhat contentious, but I believe the inability of the west to counter the Germany’s Blitzkrieg rather impeded our understanding of the limitations of Blitzkrieg.And it is important to remember there were limitations, IMHO.

At any rate, German successes in the 7 weeks in 1940 are undeniable.

Cheers
Brian G
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/11/2022 6:06:07 PM
Hi Brian,

Using certain tactics with armor air & infantry, the Germans surprised the un prepared Allies early on. But as evidenced by Romney's advances in N. Africa, resupplying his Panzers was a big problem. You might say blitzkrieg caused a over extended forces causing all kinds of linguistic problems!???

What say you??
Any other comments on this? Anyone??
MD

Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/11/2022 9:11:48 PM
MD, shoot your spell-checker! But first enjoy a chuckle with me over “…Romney’s advances in N. Africa”. I mean … I know the Romneys are Republican; I just didn’t think they fought for Hitler!

If you are talking about the invasion of western Europe when you say “the Germans surprised the un prepared Allies early on”, I’m not sure I can agree. There were, at the time, only 3 countries at war: German, GB and France. But they had been in an official state of war since 3 Sept 1939 (over 7 months); they had seen German military tactics at work in Poland. If they were unprepared, there is not one reason why they should have been.

Look at if from a different point of view. On paper, the two largest standing armies in the world were the French and the Polish. By comparison, the British Army was paltry, and the number of Brigades available to the BEF even smaller. Yet the Poles fell in 28 days. France surrendered after 38 days. Note that in neither case did the Germans have to overrun all enemy territory in order to see either country admit defeat. And it is worth noting that many of the neutral nations invaded in the same westward sweep (Denmark; Holland; Belgium; tiny Luxembourg) all fell much more quickly: Denmark in a single day; Holland in five days, Belgium in 18.

Look at rearmament as a factor. When Hitler came to power in 1933, Germany was still forbidden an air force, and had huge numerical and tactical restrictions placed on its army, which was to be a force of only a size deemed required to support/enforce civil authority. The German navy was under broad international regulations controlling most naval fleets of the world. Now, by late 1932 the Nazi Party’s SA probably outnumbered the German army by 10:1, but they weren’t considered “army”. And in truth, though many SA groups were trained by Freikorp veterans they were not an army, but only a large gang of socially deficient, somewhat fanatical thugs.

Most of the smaller, neutral nations – Belgium and Holland in the west, and the nations of the Little Entente (Czechoslovakia, Romania, Yugoslavia) – began rearming in the months after Hitler’s ascent to power. But the major powers (France and GB) didn’t begin serious rearmament until 1935 or 1936. Italy was already mobilized in preparation for its assault on Abyssinia.

Last, think about distances. Europe is a small area, particularly compared with the New World. And, if you wish, think about the size of Ukraine. German Blitzkrieg originally meant “lightning war”. It was rapid, outrageously mobile, and overpowering. Its biggest strengths required, as you suggest, sophisticated coordination of two service arms; it’s aims are to create a front too fluid to protect, to disrupt lines of communication, and to overwhelm and surround enemy forces before they can re-group. This was, IMHO, a sophisticated attack mode, with a flaw which wouldn’t become apparent until the Nazis looked east.

You talk about resupply, and while I agree I think it worth considering what resupply means. In a tank, there are few basic requirements: ammunition; fuel; tread life spring to mind. Once a tank regiment loses any of these, it becomes an expensive target gallery.

There are hosts of various arguments, e.g., about why the Panzers stopped their advance on Dunkirk. Could have been tread wear; could have been lack of ammunition; could have been fuel shortage; could have been misguided orders from OKW. The standard argument is that this was an error in judgment, but I’m not convinced.

Cheers
Brian G

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/12/2022 10:34:39 AM
Hi Brian,

Shoot my spell check? It's my stupid tablet, It changes words & spelling without my approval! I think I know Erwin Rommel is the Desert Fox in N. Africa!? Yet after typing it out in my post, this stupid thing changes it to GOP's Romney!? Making me look really bad!?? Infact I had to rechange several words in this short post!??

Go figure??
MD

BTW guys any new history for 5-11?? Anyone??
Dick Evick
Waco TX USA
5/12/2022 12:18:13 PM
German U boats prowl U.S. Coast.

Gliding through the dark waters of the Gulf of Mexico, German submarine U-507 spots the SS Virginia just off the mouth of the Mississippi River, and torpedoes the 10,000-ton tanker, sinking her. Twenty-seven sailors perish in the audacious attack that will shock Americans.

Dick.
George
5/12/2022 1:03:01 PM
Quote:
German U boats prowl U.S. Coast.

Gliding through the dark waters of the Gulf of Mexico, German submarine U-507 spots the SS Virginia just off the mouth of the Mississippi River, and torpedoes the 10,000-ton tanker, sinking her. Twenty-seven sailors perish in the audacious attack that will shock Americans.

Dick.

Thanks for this post Dick. That sub had already sunk 9 merchant ships around Florida and Cuba.

1942 was a difficult year for shipping anywhere near the US coast as the USN and USCG had not yet established a convoy system. Patrols did exist but on fixed routes and so the u-boats could easily avoid them. Merchant ships were travelling independently and could be picked off quite easily.

As well, blackouts on shore were uncommon in early to mid-1942.

Of course, the USN was quite busy in the Pacific at this time and it took some time to create a convoy system on the east coast.

SS Virginia was carrying fuel and it was desperately needed. The Royal Canadian Navy actually sent escort vessels down to the Caribbean to escort merchant ships north or from New York to the convoy collection points in Saint John, NB or Halifax, NS.

I will include a website called "uboat.net", so that people may scroll down to the map of ships hit by u-boats off the US east coast. Once there, you may zoom out and click on any marker to see the name of the ship that was sunk.

Deep blue (purple) marks the places where merchant ships were hit in 1942. The u-boats did incredible damage and many merchant sailors paid the price for the lack of convoys.

[Read More]

There were at least two u-boats operating in the Gulf of Mexico during the time period that SS Virginia was sunk. Ships had been sunk before SS Virginia in the gulf but she was pretty close to the Mississippi delta.

Cheers,

George
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/12/2022 9:46:59 PM
George, good commentary. And uboat.net is indeed an extraordinary resource.

Dick, I’m sorry but I don’t get why the U-507’s attack was audacious (though I noted the use of that term elsewhere). Nor can I see why it would “shock Americans”. The US had been at war for six months at this point. They had lost ground in areas of the Pacific they felt were under their control. So why would sinkings of ships off US ports be considered audacious? Why would losses nearer home shock US citizens?

When a nation goes to war, it makes enemies. The German Navy obviously found a weakness in the US supply chain, and attacked it. That’s not audacious. That’s making war.

Cheers,
Brian G.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/13/2022 8:37:50 PM
Hi George,

With apologies to Brian, (sports again!) I had to mention my interest in the Leafs- Lightening Stanley Cup Series! What a great competitive Stanley Cup opening round! Haven't the skaters from the old city of York had problems closing out series they have lead?? What's the history on this game 7??.The bolts are 2 time defending champs after-all!?

What's your take??
MD

BTW like Tampa, Steve Yzerman, is doing a great job rebuilding the Wings!! Maybe next year???

Back to today in history, What's the history on Friday the 13th? Anyone??
George
5/14/2022 7:42:40 AM
Quote:
Hi George,

With apologies to Brian, (sports again!) I had to mention my interest in the Leafs- Lightening Stanley Cup Series! What a great competitive Stanley Cup opening round! Haven't the skaters from the old city of York had problems closing out series they have lead?? What's the history on this game 7??.The bolts are 2 time defending champs after-all!?

What's your take??
MD

BTW like Tampa, Steve Yzerman, is doing a great job rebuilding the Wings!! Maybe next year???

Back to today in history, What's the history on Friday the 13th? Anyone??

Yes it has been a great series. Leafs could have sealed the deal two nights ago. They were down 2-0 and came back to take a 3-2 lead. Then the referees gave them two minors in succession (one was legit) and with nearly a full two minutes on the PP, Tampa tied it. In the OT, Leafs carried the play and had multiple chances to score but it was Tampa that took it.

Leafs record in games 7 of a series has been dismal over the last few years. But I have faith and based upon what I have seen they can do this tonight.

If not, it's nearly summer for crying out loud. What are they doing still playing hockey?

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/14/2022 8:44:37 PM
In 1943 on May 13th, 250,00O German & Italian troops surender! What were the major factors in the win?? .Comments anyone?? As the Allies win in N. Africa!

Just a few events from.the BBC site for 5-14, comments welcome? Anyone??

1796 British Doctor Edward Jenner develops a vaccination to combat smallpox using believe this!? Puss from Cowpox !gross you say??

1948 British mandate for Palestine! The state of Israel is proclaimed by the Jews! What say you on the British helping create Isreal?? Anyone??

1955 the Soviets & Eastern Europe create the Warsaw Pact! Does it exist at all today?? Was it really a alliance forced by the Soviets? Does it effect the Russian invasion of the Ukraine at all?? What say you? Anyone??

Any other new history? Anyone??
MD

To start the 3rd period tonight Tampa Bay 2 Toronto 1, who will prevail??
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/14/2022 10:35:24 PM
MD, you note: Quote:
1948 British mandate for Palestine! The state of Israel is proclaimed by the Jews! What say you on the British helping create Isreal?? Anyone?

I’m going to make two contradictory statements here, because I honestly don’t know nearly what I should about the creation of the State of Israel:
1. The British lied to the Arab tribes and groups during WW1. T.E. Lawrence may have made promises without authority as he fought with those Arabs trying to shake off Ottoman authority, but at war’s end the Middle East was divided into protectorates under control European powers. France and GB had various levels of control over Lebanon, Palestine, Jordon (Anglo-Jordan?), Syria, Iraq and Persia. They policed them as if they were recalcitrant colonies; Bomber Harris gained credentials by bombing Iraqi tribesmen. Despite the various Balfour Declarations (see 1917, 1926?), which seemed to support the establishment of a Jewish State in Palestine, IMHO th British (and the French) were more concerned with controlling the region rather than supporting self-government.
2. Other than a massive, sweeping sense of guilt, particularly amongst the major Western allies, I can’t find one reason to justify statements that a Jewish nation should be created on land occupied by Palestinians. And it seems GB agreed with that lack of justification, despite the Balfour Declaration. They did their utmost to shut down or limit Jewish immigration to Palestine despite the Balfour Declarations, and probably should have attempted to create a nation not founded on faith but on some other value.

In hindsight, I believe the creation of the State of Israel was a huge mistake. Its existence in the region has been a part of multiple conflicts, though not all. Over the years since 1956, Israeli interests have been active in introducing war and in indulging in first-strike capabilities. Further, I believe the continuing existence of the State of Israel continues because of religious and religiously based guilt. Sure, there are military issues and geopolitical issues and economic concerns which have made the Israeli question ongoing.

Would I be naive to believe Israel is a religion-base nation? Yes. Would I be ignorant to believe the land they hold is sacred only to the Jews and to Christians. Yes. Would I be anti-semitic in believing Israeli values, activities, controls and military excursions are unacceptable by any values of nations who created Israel in Post-WW2. No.

A rant, of course. And a point of view I have to recognize as my own. Increasingly, I separate the State of Israel from whatever semitism means. Or what anti-semitism means. I find Israeli behaviour, procedures, actiivities, social control mechanisms, economic control steps – together with the hundreds of educational, social, medical, cultural and other unnecessary control mechanism – repulsive. Israel’s continued existence is, IMHO, not so much an issue as Israel’s constant aggression.

This will probably draw a comment of two! I’m prepared to face comments about my dislike of the Stat of Israel. I would suggest that if folks who confuse anti-Israel with anti-semitism need not attack.

Cheers,
Brian G
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
5/15/2022 11:58:07 AM
I read a history (The Midnighters, iirc) that said the Israelis bought ME-109s from Czechoslovakia and flew them into Palestine at night. The book said the 109s didn't have the range to get to Palestine in one hop, so they refueled at Catania, Sicily. Is any of that accurate?
GaryNJ
Cumberland NJ USA
5/15/2022 3:54:29 PM
Quote:
I read a history (The Midnighters, iirc) that said the Israelis bought ME-109s from Czechoslovakia and flew them into Palestine at night. The book said the 109s didn't have the range to get to Palestine in one hop, so they refueled at Catania, Sicily. Is any of that accurate?

OP,

I've not heard that particular story. I do know that the Israeli's bought some Czech S-199s that had the Messerschmitt Bf 109 airframe but had a different engine. Here is an article on that.

[Read More]

Gary
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
5/15/2022 7:49:41 PM
Thanks.
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/15/2022 8:28:19 PM
Quote:

Can’t vouch for the refuelling issue, but the fledgeling Israeli Air Force did purchase Czech-built variants of the Bf-109, a variant known as the Avia S-119. I don’t know the model type of the 109 on which the variants are based, so don’t know whether it was a Bf-109 or an Me-109.

The first four types of Bf-109 were all pre-war a/c, and were built in small numbers. All flew in combat during the Spanish Civil War, but IIUC. IMHO, the Bf-109 E or “Emil” was the purest of the 109 line, and was introduced in late 1938. By September 1939, the “Emil” was the Luftwaffe fighter of choice. There were an incredible 18 variants of the -E type. Personally, I believe the most agile of the 109 types were the -E and -F types. The -G and -H series were sufficiently sound a/c that their production continued to war’s end (IIRC), but they had lost much of their agility due to design compromises need as the a/c was asked to assume new roles.

Cheers,
Brian G
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
5/15/2022 10:22:37 PM
On this day in 1972, Alabama governor George C Wallace was victim of an assassination attempt while running as a Democratic presidential candidate. The attack took place in Laurel, Maryland, and Governor Wallace was left paralyzed from the waist down.

I remember George Wallace; he was a bogeyman of the decade beginning in the early 1960s. He was, IMHO, an opportunist, willing to argue values which would aid his continued political career. Does that make him a populist rather than a segregationist? Tell that to the black people of Alabama who lived under his governorship from 1962,

By 1968, Wallace ran as the presidential candidate for the American Independence Party. I believe he gained 13% of the vote, which is an indication of the tumult of the US in the late 1960s. His VP running mate was one Curtis LeMay. I believe he took five southern states. If that wasn’t scary in the US world of government by majority, I don’t know what is.

I’m not supportive of assassination in any way. I was pleased to see Governor Wallace survive the attempt, and I’m happy to see he continued to be active in politics almost the the day he died.

Nonetheless, for at least some furriners like me George Wallace was a frightening and hindward-looking candidate to be seeking main-stream support for a presidential bid.

I simply remember.

Cheers
Brian G
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/16/2022 10:57:58 AM
Quote:
Topics, topics topics!!!??

In 1943 on May 13th, 250,00O German & Italian troops surender! What were the major factors in the win?? .Comments anyone?? As the Allies win in N. Africa!

Just a few events from.the BBC site for 5-14, comments welcome? Anyone?? I believe most, we haven't commented on yet? Any one??

1796 British Doctor Edward Jenner develops a vaccination to combat smallpox using believe this!? Puss from Cowpox !gross you say??

1948 British mandate for Palestine! The state of Israel is proclaimed by the Jews! What say you on the British helping create Isreal?? Anyone?? Thanks for the reply on this Brian!

1955 the Soviets & Eastern Europe create the Warsaw Pact! Does it exist at all today?? Was it really a alliance forced by the Soviets? Does it effect the Russian invasion of the Ukraine at all?? What say you? Anyone??

Any other new history? Anyone??
MD

Checking 5-16 in history, here are some events? Comments, anyone?

1770 Marie Antoinette married King Louis XVI how did this become such a messy union for the common Frenchmen? Comments?

1801 William Seward who purchased Alaska was born, did he over step his bounds as Lincoln's Secretary! of State?
What say you?

1920 Joan of Arc is canonized by the Pope, why was she burned at the stake? She was after all a military commander who deserved better? Comments?

1943 the Warsaw Ghetto uprising is put down! You have to admire the courage of these condemned souls!?
Any good articles or websites on it?? Anyone?

Regards
MD

Also in 1975 the 1st women to climb Mt. Everest, A Japanese lady, why do so many make this attempt? Are they brave or crazy?? Many end fatal?? Comments anyone?

BTW Brian your right about George Wallace, at times I wonder if much has changed today?

Also talk about equality in sports? I believe most of the opening round NHL series went the full seven games! Great for the hockey fans! What say you??

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/17/2022 8:26:35 AM
d
George
5/17/2022 8:48:03 AM
Quote:
1801 William Seward who purchased Alaska was born, did he over step his bounds as Lincoln's Secretary! of State?
What say you?

Ah, William Seward. Was he one of the architects of American expansion? The greatest proponent of Manifest Destiny?

Certainly a cheerful looking fellow, wasn't he?

I do not know whether he overstepped as Secretary of State. I had always presumed that his designs upon all of North America and his virulent anglophobia were met with approval by his political masters.

Best known in the US for his purchase of Alaska (Seward's Folly) from Russia, he is best known in Canada as the man who hoped to annex BNA.

He also attempted to annex lands owned by other countries. In 1865, Seward attempted to purchase the Virgin Islands from Denmark.

Seward spoke often of annexing BNA. During the civil war there was talk in US circles that Canada should be the forfeit as Britain was asked to make reparations for the loss of US shipping effected by Confederate ships built in Britain.

In 1860 Seward praised the subjects of BNA including Rupert's Land and said that they had created great states that would be a nice addition to the US.

In 1865, the US Congress attempted to pass an annexation bill partly as an addendum to the abrogation of the trade reciprocity agreement with BNA. There was anger toward Britain over its perceived support of the Confederates.

With the US civil war wrapping up, there were thousands of Union soldiers with little left to do. Some of them were Irish-American Catholics who despised Great Britain. They, as the Fenian Brotherhood, organized a small army to invade British territory which they did several times from 1866 until 1870. Initially, they had tacit approval of the US government to do so. The Fenians hoped that by seizing British territory that Britain would grant independence to Ireland.

William Seward told them that while the US would not formally announce its support for the Fenian raids, it was ready to respond once there was evidence of "established results". This has been interpreted in Canada to mean that if the Fenians were successful the US was prepared to annex.

Seward wanted to link the Oregon territory to Alaska and he was very active in the promotion of the annexation of the British colony of British Columbia in 1865. Seward's representatives had tried to convince British politicians that the people of BC were anxious to join the US. This was false though there were some proponents of annexation in the colony. Some British politicians said that Britain would not object to annexation unless the US attempted to seize the colony by force. Fortunately, the new nation of Canada convinced British Columbians to join Confederation which they did in 1871.

Seward had taken fishing trips to Labrador and he was impressed with the available natural resources. He and some other Americans felt that Rupert's Land, like British Columbia, was land that was fair game for expansion Once he had purchased Alaska, Seward felt that it would be possible to obtain all of the Arctic. He and others suggested that if they could annex Greenland and Iceland that the great northern territories in Canada would fall into US possession. This was a fanciful plan but it is indicative of Seward's acquisitive nature. But he had spent a lot of money on Alaska and could not garner support for the acquisition of Greenland and Iceland.

Seward sent spies to the Red River area in what is now Manitoba to determine whether the US could annex that part of the west. Remember the Dominion of Canada had just come into being in 1867 and yet Seward still had designs on any part of BNA that he felt could be persuaded to join the US.

Manifest Destiny as a policy and William Seward, as an agent of that policy, were much despised in Canada. I don't think that Americans of that era appreciated the loyalty extended to the crown by the people of the remaining British colonies.

I leave it to others to tell us whether Seward was an effective Secretary of State.

Cheers,

George

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/17/2022 10:39:51 AM
Hi George.

Your right Seward was an ambitious man, I believe he even undercut Lincoln, your lucky he wasn't President!? He probably would have turned the huge Union Army on BNA!?

Regards,
MD

BTW As far as Seward's scoul goes, I've seen the same look recently on Leafs fans!?
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/17/2022 5:09:29 PM
News flash if things weren't going bad enough for Mitch Mariner of the Toronto maple leafs, he had his car high jacked outside a theater at gun point by 3 armed men! Anyone have the details?? I guess Mitch himself is ok! But they haven't caught the theifs yet?? What's the latest??
Page 11 of 115 (Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    11    12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115 )

© 2024 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC