MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

General History
Page 19 of 115 (Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18    19    20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115 )
Centre Hastings ON Canada
This day in World History! Continued
8/3/2022 7:18:28 PM
Quote:
Also George, great post on why the British wanted South Africa!? Resources like gold & diamonds could drive their motivation!?? Who exployted this area the most?? Comments?

MD, here is a map showing which country claimed what in 1914

And in 1945.

So many European countries had colonial aspirations in Africa. We tend to disparage any and all colonialism and imperialism of the past. Having said that, I do wonder whether any of these colonial nations treated those that they subjugated respectfully and with benevolence.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
8/3/2022 9:06:20 PM
Quote:
I agree Trevor,

Brian should be teaching a College course on British Monarchy! Can you say Professor Grafton!?

8-3, in today's historical events, include, Comments & new posts welcome!? Forwarded from previous page for easier discussion!

1492, Columbus sailed the Ocean Blue! On this day he set sail! Why is he gone from a children's hero to a villain??

1583, Sir Humprey Gilbert landed in St Johns Newfoundland, & claimed it for England!? I guess he just ignored the 1st Nations who already were there!? Also I believe the Vikings were the 1st Europeans there!? What say you??

1914 Germany declares war on France during WWI. The French have a bad location located right at the crossroads of Western Europe!? At least they fight for the good guys!? Comments??

1921 8 Chicago White Sox are banned for life for throwing the 1919 World Series!? what say you to The Black Sox scandal?? Anyone??

1936 Jessie Owens, shows Hitler at the Berlin games that Aryans may not be so superior!? What say you about the 1936 Olympics, & Jessie Owens!? Anyone??

1940 Lithuania becomes part of the Soviet Union! Were they coerced!? How secure as A country are they now??

1958 the Atomic submarine Nautilous goes under the North Pole! Did they have Canada's & other northern countries permission? Comments, anyone?

1992 Clint Eastwood, wins Academy Award for the western Unforgiven! What's you favorite Eastwood quote or movie!? What say you??

Go ahead make my day!
MD

Also George, great post on why the British wanted South Africa!? Resources like gold & diamonds could drive their motivation!?? Who exployted this area the most?? Comments?

& Great map on the Colonization, therefore exploration of Africa! Notice no US presence in the 2 nd largest Continent!??
----------------------------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Phil Andrade
London  UK
8/4/2022 3:30:26 AM
…no US presence in the 2nd largest continent ?

Why on earth would the US seek a presence on another Continent when it had defined itself as the mightiest power by dint of consolidating its grip over its own huge land mass ?

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
George
8/4/2022 6:51:11 AM
Quote:
…no US presence in the 2nd largest continent ?

Why on earth would the US seek a presence on another Continent when it had defined itself as the mightiest power by dint of consolidating its grip over its own huge land mass ?

Regards, Phil

Phil and MD,

Indeed and the US was content to expand its influence to the former Spanish claimed territories in the Pacific and Caribbean (Puerto Rico, Philippines, Guam) with victory in the Spanish-American war. Add strategic and economic interests in Central and South America, China and Cuba too and the US was as busy establishing its control much as the Europeans were doing in Africa.

No country could make claims to greatness without colonial expansion in the age of imperialism I will add that there was a large anti-imperialist movement in the US that opposed this sort of expansion as contrary to the values upon which the US was founded.

And as I think about it, the "Little England" movement beginning in the late 18th and 19th century wanted the UK to divest itself of its colonies seeing them as too expensive to operate with little return for the investment.

Cheers,

George

Phil Andrade
London  UK
8/4/2022 10:35:12 AM
Congressman Jeff Fortinberry makes my point when he refers to “ The vastness of our land..”

No Englishman, Dutchman, Frenchman, Spaniard or Portuguese person would have ventured such a phrase.

A Russian might have, but then Russia resembled the US in not having a presence in Africa.

Of course, Americans and Russians can wield power and influence throughout the globe without recourse to direct colonisation.

The Germans had a brief flirtation with colonisation in Africa, but that was demolished in WW1. Thereafter they sought to achieve lebensraum in Eastern Europe instead, with catastrophic results !

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
8/4/2022 6:51:57 PM
Phil, George, some well-considered comments. Thank you; I love getting new perspectives like these.

Further to your comments, it seems to me that US expansionism was, until quite late in the 19th century, focused westward, while at about the same time Imperial Russia was focused eastward. Unlike most European nations, who were looking to control territories for trade and commercial exploitation, the US was simply “expanding to fill up the space”, or what they (it) saw as huge tracts of vacant land, under-utilized by indigenous cultures. The same concept fits Tsarist Russia, though somewhat less closely and for more feudal reasons.

Seems to me that it was only when most of the land available to the US was more or less stabilized that they turned to the concept of foreign wars, and to gaining of control of occupied countries, territories or economies. Spanish-American War, e.g.; strident expansion into China, for trade but based largely on US messianic Christianity, and into Japan (and tell me Commodore Perry’s discussions with Japan weren’t “gunboat diplomacy” at kindest).

Phil, you say:
Congressman Jeff Fortinberry makes my point when he refers to “ The vastness of our land..”

No Englishman, Dutchman, Frenchman, Spaniard or Portuguese person would have ventured such a phrase.

A Russian might have, but then Russia resembled the US in not having a presence in Africa.”

May I suggest that you undersell both the power, recognition and understated arrogance of GB, at least according to my rearing. “The sun never sets on the British Empire” is one rubric I remember from my childhood; when I got older, there were less impactful slogans which suggest one should look at a world map and “think pink” or “think red”.

Just adding my 2¢ worth (or tuppence).

Cheers
Brian G

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
8/4/2022 7:29:16 PM
On 4 Aug 1704, Spanish forces surrendered Gibraltar to British attackers. Acting with good sense, English troops took control of “the Rock” and strengthened defences. Gibraltar wasn’t actually formally ceded to GB until 1713 (under terms of the Treaty of Utrecht), and by that time GB recognized its potential military significance.

The pre-eminence of Great Britain, which began with the Treaty of Utrecht, relied. to some extent, on strongpoints such as Gibraltar. Think Malta, Aden, Trincomalee and Singapore.

I visited Gibraltar in 1960, when Franco was still in power but before access from Spain to Gibraltar was denied. We camped in Algeciras the night before, and were wakened (at 03:00) by being probed by sub-machine guns in the hands of the Guardia Civil. they were searching for Spaniard wishing to enter Gibraltar illegally. I was a callow youth of 18 at the time, and was admittedly responsive to those sub-machine gun questions. Some time later (within a decade) those guns would have carried much more weight against folks wanting to cross the border at LaLinea/

Cheers
Brian G

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
8/5/2022 3:15:18 AM
Brian,

“ The sun never sets on the British Empire.”

As a British child, I found that saying credible to a degree : the British Empire was in the East, and the sun sets in the West !

Repentance from me in this edit !
In my childhood, British rule still prevailed in the West : Jamaica became independent sixty years ago tomorrow.

Regards, Phil
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
8/5/2022 11:04:08 AM
Quote:
Quote:

Hey guys,

8-3,'s historical events, include, Comments & new posts welcome!? Forwarded from previous page for easier discussion!

1492, Columbus sailed the Ocean Blue! On this day he set sail! Why is he gone from a children's hero to a villain??

1583, Sir Humprey Gilbert landed in St Johns Newfoundland, & claimed it for England!? I guess he just ignored the 1st Nations who already were there!? Also I believe the Vikings were the 1st Europeans there!? What say you??

1914 Germany declares war on France during WWI. The French have a bad location located right at the crossroads of Western Europe!? At least they fight for the good guys!? Comments??

1921 8 Chicago White Sox are banned for life for throwing the 1919 World Series!? what say you to The Black Sox scandal?? Anyone??

1936 Jessie Owens, shows Hitler at the Berlin games that Aryans may not be so superior!? What say you about the 1936 Olympics, & Jessie Owens!? Anyone??

1940 Lithuania becomes part of the Soviet Union! Were they coerced!? How secure as A country are they now??

1958 the Atomic submarine Nautilous goes under the North Pole! Did they have Canada's & other northern countries permission? Comments, anyone?

1992 Clint Eastwood, wins Academy Award for the western Unforgiven! What's you favorite Eastwood quote or movie!? What say you??

Go ahead make my day!
MD
?

Checking out today, 8-5 in history, here are some events,

1100, Henry I was crowned king of England! Who was the 1st King of England, & how did it come about?? Bri. or anyone??

1772 the 1st Partician of Poland! The poor Poles are just located in a bad locale! What say you??

1864 Admiral Farragut blocks off Mobile Bay from Blockade Runners! As the war goes on the blockade is definitely becoming more effective!? Comments on how this hurt the Confederacy!? Anyone??

1963 the Nuclear Test ban Treaty is signed!! By who,& how effective was it?? Comments?

1981 Pres. Ronald Reagan fires 11,000 Air traffic controllers! Does he have that right?? Why??

Any new discussions??
Cheers
MD

BTW keep discussing the British Empire! It's a fascinating topic! I recently read a great book on it, Empire, by Niall Ferguson! Anyone else read it? Any other good books on the British Empire? Also was the fact the Brits. had the best navy, the #1 reason they acquired such a large extensive, Empire? What say you??

& Bri. Visiting Gibraltar had to be cool!? How did that come about?? Love travel stories!?
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
scoucer
Berlin  Germany
8/5/2022 2:46:38 PM
Quote:

I visited Gibraltar in 1960, when Franco was still in power but before access from Spain to Gibraltar was denied. We camped in Algeciras the night before, and were wakened (at 03:00) by being probed by sub-machine guns in the hands of the Guardia Civil. they were searching for Spaniard wishing to enter Gibraltar illegally. I was a callow youth of 18 at the time, and was admittedly responsive to those sub-machine gun questions. Some time later (within a decade) those guns would have carried much more weight against folks wanting to cross the border at LaLinea/

Strangly enough the same thing happened to me in Algeciras in 1979. Although they were more interested in potential drug smugglers. They would ride over, at night, in speed boats from N.Africa. The next day we took the ferry to Ceuta, a spanish town on the N.African coast. A really wonderful place. A sort of Gibraltar in reverse.

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
8/5/2022 5:07:28 PM
Trevor,

In 1973, I spent a wretched few days in Ceuta.

I had insufficient money, and ended up sleeping on a bench .

The locals were not impressed !

About twenty years ago, I visited Gibraltar, and had some bad luck.

Wife and kids went shopping, leaving me sitting in a cafe.

There were enormous guests of wind : hardly surprising given the location of the place.

One of the heavy umbrellas was lifted out of its mooring in the table, and literally flew across the courtyard, with the heavy staff striking me hard on the back of my head.

I was knocked senseless for a moment, with my face down on the table.

The owners of the cafe rushed out and plied me with brandy.

I got more friendship from them than I ever received from the natives of Ceuta. Shame it took such a big whack on my nut for me to enjoy it !

Regards, Phil
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
8/5/2022 5:42:09 PM
So, Trevor, that was probably before Franco’s death, when the Guardia Civil were still a power unto themselves. What a scary lot! Yet we were treated royally by an off-duty Guardia Civil officer when staying in Madrid.He had served with the Spanish Brigade on the Eastern Front, so greeted our three-car caravan with a “Hummel Hummel” (yep, a VW with Hamburg plates) and helped us find a Pension in the heart of the old city.

I’m certain that, had we been there even a few months later (we were there in late April, 1960), the search would have been more focused; probably more on weapons, as the Congo erupted in July 1960 and weapons of all kinds were worth big dollars.

I loved my time in Spain and Portugal, so I’m not surprised you say you were captured by Cueta. When I was there, the people were poor, oppressed, mistreated and often violently anti-Franco. But they lived a rich life which offered a wonderful balance between work and leisure I remember to this day.

Cheers
Brian G

Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
8/5/2022 6:03:36 PM
“ The sun never sets on the British Empire.”

As a British child, I found that saying credible to a degree : the British Empire was in the East, and the sun sets in the West !”

Phil, cheeky bugger!

I talked about that as a rubric. It may have been much more; looking back, I can’t remember a classroom in primary or middle school without a map smothered in red bits large and small. I wonder if they were also a standard adornment in George’s or Wazza’s class rooms as well, and whether those symbols of power were mere propaganda, compliments of the UK Colonial Office.

Cheers
Brian G

scoucer
Berlin  Germany
8/5/2022 6:30:05 PM
Quote:
Trevor,

In 1973, I spent a wretched few days in Ceuta.

I had insufficient money, and ended up sleeping on a bench .

The locals were not impressed !

Regards, Phil

Phil,

I had some advantage on you. I could speak Spanish. And when we said we were from Liverpool it was Aaaaaaaah ! Liverpool FC and the Beatles.

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
scoucer
Berlin  Germany
8/5/2022 6:50:13 PM
Quote:
I loved my time in Spain and Portugal, so I’m not surprised you say you were captured by Cueta. When I was there, the people were poor, oppressed, mistreated and often violently anti-Franco. But they lived a rich life which offered a wonderful balance between work and leisure I remember to this day.

Cheers Brian G

Brian,

I actually lived in Barcelona. It was after Franco´s death. Even today Spaniards laugh when they hear me speak with a Berliner-Catalan accent.

Trevor
George
8/5/2022 7:56:15 PM
Quote:
1981 Pres. Ronald Reagan fires 11,000 Air traffic controllers! Does he have that right?? Why??

I believe in the right to withdraw services for any trade union and I do not support the importation of scab labour. And so Reagan's actions were a clear message to any employer of unionized labour that you could break any union with impunity. Simply refuse to negotiate.

Reagan also decertified the air traffic controllers' union. If the strike was illegal as Reagan said, then why were the air traffic controllers driven to take such drastic measures? Did Reagan have the option to continue negotiations?

After Reagan's strike breaking action, the number of strikes in the US dropped dramatically.

The result in the US has been that a number of states have passed, "right to work" legislation which gives workers the right to refuse to join the union in a union shop. That of course limits the bargaining power of the union. These people who do not wish to join the union in a union shop are perfectly willing to profit and prosper by the hard work and sacrifice of the union members without having to go through the trouble of fighting for increased wages and benefits.

The result is that wages stagnate. The disappearance of the middle class in North America is partly due to the low wage structure in many industries and jobs because of the ineffective negotiations that occur in non-union shops. The labour movement was dealt a blow from which it could not recovery.

Having said that, I do believe that certain professions or labour organizations should probably not have the right to strike especially when public safety is at stake. That could include police, paramedics and ambulance drivers and firefighters and teachers. However if you are going to do that I believe that an alternative and compulsory form of negotiation has to be devised.

That could be compulsory arbitration or perhaps final offer selection. Employers do not like those forms of negotiation because they often wind up paying out more than they would if they had participated in negotiations.

And better still would be a complete revamp of the relationship between employers and the unions. We operate on an adversarial model which leads to strikes. There are some places in the world where the unions or rather their leadership are participants in the discussions surrounding the economic model that a company wishes to use. I understand that Germany uses a more co-operative approach to labour/management relations though the number of unionized workers is in decline.

Unions would have access to the books of a company and would make suggestions as to how productivity could be improved. A co-operative approach to operations could see an improvement in working conditions and in profits.

This co-operative approach can be successful even in non-union shops.

[Read More]

So was Reagan's treatment of air traffic controllers, much lauded in some quarters, the beginning of the decline of the middle class?

[Read More]

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
8/6/2022 4:07:12 PM
George,

If the money doesn't go to wages, where does it go?? Surely not the middle class workers!?

I agree it did contribute to the decline of the middle class! Certainly helped major corporations

owners & upper management, to make greater profits!?

What say you?

MD
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
8/6/2022 9:53:17 PM
I guess somebody should mention Hiroshima and the birth of the Atomic Age. Seldom is a new age born so instantly or so cataclysmically.

I know there is a great deal of debate over the Hiroshima (“Little Boy”) and Nagasaki (“Fat Man”) drops. There are compelling arguments for and against the use of the weapons against two cities; I’ve read strong statements about the saving of 1,000,000 Allied lives making the Japanese death toll (the range is from 129.000-226,000 by most counts) “acceptable”.

Like most of us, I use Wiki with some caution and offer its assessments with some trepidation. But I find this following para from Wiki worth offering without using the linking device:
The consent of the United Kingdom was obtained for the bombing, as was required by the Quebec Agreement, and orders were issued on 25 July by General Thomas Handy, the acting Chief of Staff of the United States Army, for atomic bombs to be used against Hiroshima, Kokura, Niigata, and Nagasaki. These targets were chosen because they were large urban areas that also held militarily significant facilities. On 6 August, a Little Boy was dropped on Hiroshima, to which Prime Minister Suzuki reiterated the Japanese government's commitment to ignore the Allies' demands and fight on. Three days later, a Fat Man was dropped on Nagasaki. Over the next two to four months, the effects of the atomic bombings killed between 90,000 and 146,000 people in Hiroshima and 39,000 and 80,000 people in Nagasaki; roughly half occurred on the first day. For months afterward, many people continued to die from the effects of burns, radiation sickness, and injuries, compounded by illness and malnutrition. Though Hiroshima had a sizable military garrison, most of the dead were civilians.

I particularly enjoy the ironic used ob A-bombs “…to be used against Hiroshima, Kokura, Niigata, and Nagasaki. These targets were chosen because they were large urban areas that also held militarily significant facilities.” This reeks of similar descriptors used from 1942 onward by RAF Bomber Command as it pummelled German cities. Anything can be defined as a military facility; “dehousing” was already a fine art of the USAAF over Japan, so the “large urban areas” probably didn’t need to be noted. Seems to me these bombs were designed to kill Japs! (Wasn’t that Halsey’s bit of muscle-flexing macho: “ Kill Japs. KILL JAPS! KILL MORE JAPS!!)?

Questions for all MHOers:
1. Had the Japanese not surrendered until later in the year, would Aug 6 still be seen as the birth of the Atomic Age?
2. Should the Hiroshima drop be seen as the beginning of the Atomic Age, or should that “honour” go to the July 16 test at Almagordo?
3. Has any other “age” been inaugurated by any action/device/concept developed only to destroy?

At least for me, this remains both a challenging historical event and a (purposefully?) unexplored change of the human condition. That last may be an exaggeration; I’m losing my objectivity as this post goes on!

Cheers
Brian G

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
8/7/2022 12:35:32 PM
Hi Brian,

In answer to your 3 questions.

1. Yes It would still be the beginning of the Atomic Age! IMHO, The significance of such a weapon its to revolutionary!?

2. I think Hiroshima is when the world realized that warfare, & power, would never be the same, because of the bomb!?

3. Probably not, however Ironclad ships, the machine gun, the war plane, & the tank were significant! But not as destructive & therefore as A weapon, as important as the Atomic Bomb!?

What say you??
MD
scoucer
Berlin  Germany
8/7/2022 1:43:04 PM
Quote:

3. Has any other “age” been inaugurated by any action/device/concept developed only to destroy?

Cheers
Brian G

The Bronze Age. The production of bronze swords superior to anything else around.

Trevor
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
8/7/2022 7:58:51 PM
Scouser, MD,

Interesting and thoughtful comments from you both. Thank you.

It seems I have still not developed the ability to write clearly. I wrote:
Questions for all MHOers:
1. Had the Japanese not surrendered until later in the year, would Aug 6 still be seen as the birth of the Atomic Age?
2. Should the Hiroshima drop be seen as the beginning of the Atomic Age, or should that “honour” go to the July 16 test at Almagordo?
3. Has any other “age” been inaugurated by any action/device/concept developed only to destroy?”

The first two questions are capable of being linked all too easily. Maybe I asked two questions which were, de facto, already answered. The incredible research and advancements made under FDR’s 1942 authorization of the the Manhattan Project moved atomic research from theoretical consideration to specific military application. Think of those linked peripherally with the atomic research of the 1930s and names like Bohr, Heisenberg, Fermi, Zillard, Einstein and the like pop up, along with a handful of others. They were scientific colleagues, a small community exploring the nature of the atom. By 1940, Neils Bohr (a Dane) was, IIRC, in semi-retirement in Sweden; Werner Heisenberg had been to take control of the German/Nazi effort to weaponize the atom; Enrico Fermi had left Italy and was a respected academic in the US. Albert Einstein, of course, had also left Germany, where his “Jewish-tainted” science was not welcome. By 1940, the European collegiate research model was no more.

The concern, for the Allies and probably for the Germans, was that the vast power of atomic energy could be harnessed for military purposes. Heisenberg and his German team seemed to be making progress; they were stripping Norway of “heavy water”, needed to develop plutonium and so a sign of German progress. Practically, this prompted the famed Telemark raid; more importantly, it triggered the approach to FDR to match and surpass German research into atomic weaponry.

For questions 1 and 2, therefore, I should probably have asked when the Atomic Age might have been born, if none of the warring nations had developed a weapon before Japan’s collapse? And, of course, would the search for an atomic weapon have continued?

Trevor, I agree with your assessment of the bronze sword. But I was getting at the equivalent of my para above about military research leading to a new Age. I’m not really strong on neolithic ages, to be honest. So while I agree with your assessment of the bronze sword, I question whether smithies of the copper age were trying different alloys simply to develop a sword. That they were looking for a metal which could hold a better edge is without question, but that would benefit pots, knives, skinning utensils and a host of things. Amongst them would be, I assume, the ability to forge a blade which would remain rigid over an increased span. Hence, the bronze sword. But compared to the implementation of atomic age weaponry, which was the primary aim of research, I sense that the bronze sword would be a relative afterthought.

Sorry for misleading folks.

Cheers
Brian G.

Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
8/7/2022 9:43:58 PM
On August 7, 1944 I find to my shock that production of the WV (aka Beetle) is halted. To be honest, I had believed that the civilian version had been shut down years earlier, so that the factory might produce more “Kubelwagens”, to some extent a German equivalent of the Willys Jeep. It would be interesting to know how available VWs were to citizens during the war. I have read somewhere that gaining a VW during WW2 was akin to gaining a Lada by lottery in East Germany and Poland during the Cold War. To find they were in production (at whatever levels of production) so relatively late in the war suggests the end of production would have been decided for the same reason that a host of a/c were pulled from production. The metal went to needs for the few a/c and vehicles deemed necessary for the Reich to survive.

This Day in History provides some information about the life of the Beetle during WW2. That can be found here:
[url]https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/volkswagen-halts-production-during-world-war-ii?cmpid=email-hist-tdih-2022-0807-08072022&om_rid=[/url]

I was particularly drawn, as an aside, to the following: “The German chancellor, National Socialist (Nazi) leader Adolf Hitler, called the car the KdF (Kraft-durch-Freude)-Wagen (or “Strength-Through-Joy” car), after a Nazi-led movement ostensibly aimed at helping the working people of Germany.”

I would love to know why the authors/editors of the article deliberately used the word “ostensibly”. To me, it rings as a false warning for no reason at all. IIUC, although it was a Nazi organization which reflected Nazi values, it offered various opportunities to working-class Germans, including short-term cruises, seaside vacations, camping and mountaineering trips and the like. Nazi membership was necessary in order to receive such opportunities, I believe, but that in itself doesn’t earn KfD an “ostensible” ranking.

Cheers
Brian G

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
8/8/2022 9:38:05 AM
Hi MHO,

Yesterday in history, 8-7, these events happened!

1872 George Washington creates the Purple Heart Medal, my late father John, of the US 1st Cavalry received 2 of them for fighting in the Pacific in WWII, one in New Guinea, & another in the Philippines! I'M lucky to even be here, considering he was a scout for his unit!? Thanks dad!

1942 the Americans seize the airfield on Guadalcanal! This was one of the most contested horrific battles of WWII? What say you about one of the 1st losses by the IJA in WWII!? A critical victory!?? Comments, & websites??

1978 the Love Canal toxic leak near Niagara Falls, did it effect Canada?? Comments anyone?

1987 Canadian Sidney Crosby is born where does he rank as A NHL star? What say you??

Also today 8-8 in history check these out! Comments??

1588 the English fleet defeats the Spanish Armada, how big was this to naval history!? Anyone??

1846 the Wilmont Proviso, how did this effect slavery & the CW. Anyone??

1945 the Allies sign the London Agreement! What was it about?? Comments?

2000 The CSA submarine Hunlley's weakage was discovered in Charleston SC harbor! What say you about the 1st military sub!? I knew the guys who helped find it!? Any websites or posts on this ship!??

New topics, new comments! Anyone?
Regards,
MD

George
8/8/2022 1:15:09 PM
Quote:
1978 the Love Canal toxic leak near Niagara Falls, did it effect Canada?? Comments anyone?

The Love Canal incident only served to highlight an extensive problem along the Niagara River. It wasn't the only dump site.

I recall that Canadian and American scientists working together, discovered that the Niagara River contained toxins, including dioxin that were damaging to human beings, leading to cancers, miscarriages and other birth defects. Those chemicals were leaching into the Niagara River from dump sites all along the river.

There was tension between Canada and the US as the US was very slow to respond to the Love Canal discovery and even a decade later there were still over 200 sites along the river that were leaching poisons into the river. There had been many studies and it seemed that rather than clean up, the US or New York would simply order another study.

I will say that while Canada is not perfect when it comes to mitigation of problems, it had spent the money to improve filtration and treatment plants.

As for those poor folks living in the Love Canal neighbourhood, they were victims of Hooker Chemical which had dug the canal and was using it as a dump for toxic waste from the 1942-1953. Then they filled in the waste dump and sold the land to the school board. And it wrote some sort of a warning in the sales agreement that it used to try to absolve itself of any complicity in the terrible things that happened to people living in the area. Black sludge began to appear in back yards and in basements and it was laced with a cocktail of poisons. People who had been complaining of the inexplicably high rate of birth defects and miscarriage and childhood epilepsy and asthma and other diseases soon discovered that they were living in a very toxic part of the world.

I believe that every person in the Love Canal suburb had to be relocated when Pres. Carter declared an emergency. That took some time.

Not long ago, it was revealed that a Canadian company was receiving sludge from the Love Canal in order to burn it, rendering the chemicals inert and then burying the waste. The company is near Sarnia and locals have sued the company and were awarded damages because the smoke from the burning of the Love Canal sludge was making them sick.

The company claimed that it was following industry standards when burning the waste and that all industries produce waste from vent stacks.

I mentioned that Canada has some problems of its own to worry about. I need only point out that the second worst example of this type of environmental pollution in North America is in Sydney, Nova Scotia. Waste from the steel mill that was the life blood of the town for a century was allowed to accumulate in a pit, causing health problems for the people of Sydney.

[Read More]

In another incident, it was discovered that the Dryden Chemical Company in Dryden, Ontario was dumping waste mercury into the English-Wabigoon River system. It is still contaminated and the mercury in the water has been poisoning First Nations people who fish there, for decades. Minimata disease is still evident in young people of the Grassy Narrows Reserve as corroborated by a 2014 Japanese study.

Mercury has been discovered in the river bottom sludge in lakes, rivers and streams that are over 150 km from the place that it was originally dumped. I don't know the status of the clean-up process right now.

I saw an interview with the CEO of the company responsible and when asked why he felt that it would be OK to dump mercury in a river, he said, "No one lives there. We didn't think that it would do any harm."

We cannot trust large corporations to do right by the environment and that is why I support government regulation and monitoring of all industries.

Cheers,

George

jahenders
Colorado Springs CO USA
8/8/2022 4:39:43 PM
Had the war ended, after the Manhattan Project was far along, but before any nation built and tested a bomb, research would continue and the first tests would be important milestones in post-war/Cold War politics (as later ones were).

The big difference would that the whole thing would be a lot more theoretical until one was used on a real target.
Therefore, all the powers would likely invest less in weaponization (other than bombs).

That would eventually change, however. The US (and later UK and/or USSR) would look for an opportunity to use in combat and there wouldn't be the stigma from Hiroshima/Nagasaki to stop them.

I can see 3 main (relatively near-term) candidates for first us:
- Berlin Airlift -- when Russia blockades Berlin, perhaps we drop East Berlin (not so good for either side), some major Soviet approach routes, or maybe someplace like Kaliningrad
- Chinese Civil War -- perhaps we decide to prevent the collapse of the KMT by nuking a few key communist strongholds or fielded forces pushing the KMT back
- Korean War -- perhaps we drop a few bombs on Pyongyang, a few other NK cities, or the Yalu River bridges (when the Chinese are massed there)

Any one of those would have huge effects and would then have caused all sides to rush to develop nuclear missiles and such

Jim

scoucer
Berlin  Germany
8/8/2022 6:26:58 PM
Quote:

I was particularly drawn, as an aside, to the following: “[span style="color: rgb(24, 24, 24); font-family: open-sans, sans-serif; font-size: 18px; letter-spacing: 0.8px;"The[/span][span style="font-family: Helvetica;"[span style="text-align: var(--bs-body-text-align); text-transform: var(--mud-typography-default-text-transform); color: rgb(24, 24, 24); font-size: 18px; letter-spacing: 0.8px;" German chancellor, National Socialist (Nazi) leader [/span][span style="text-align: var(--bs-body-text-align); text-transform: var(--mud-typography-default-text-transform); -webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent; color: rgb(232, 12, 48); transition-duration: 0.25s; transition-property: all; font-size: 18px; letter-spacing: 0.8px;"Adolf Hitler[/span][span style="text-align: var(--bs-body-text-align); text-transform: var(--mud-typography-default-text-transform); color: rgb(24, 24, 24); font-size: 18px; letter-spacing: 0.8px;", called the car the KdF (Kraft-durch-Freude)-Wagen (or “Strength-Through-Joy” car), after a Nazi-led movement ostensibly aimed at helping the working people of Germany.”[/span][/span]

[span style="letter-spacing: 0.14994px; color: var(--mud-palette-text-primary); font-size: var(--mud-typography-default-size); font-weight: var(--mud-typography-default-weight); text-align: var(--bs-body-text-align); text-transform: var(--mud-typography-default-text-transform);"
[/span]
[span style="letter-spacing: 0.14994px; color: var(--mud-palette-text-primary); font-size: var(--mud-typography-default-size); font-weight: var(--mud-typography-default-weight); text-align: var(--bs-body-text-align); text-transform: var(--mud-typography-default-text-transform);"I would love to know why the authors/editors of the article deliberately used the word “ostensibly”. To me, it rings as a false warning for no reason at all. IIUC, although it was a Nazi organization which reflected Nazi values, it offered various opportunities to working-class Germans, including short-term cruises, seaside vacations, camping and mountaineering trips and the like. Nazi membership was necessary in order to receive such opportunities, I believe, but that in itself doesn’t earn KfD an “ostensible” ranking.[/span]

Brian,

It is something I´ve noticed over the last years, on the internet, even on some so-called "respectable" sites ie. Encyclopedia Britannica, the contributors are stupid. Even the "well-educated". Maybe it´s because I´m old but I can hear my father`s voice - "Jesus ! Can quote Shakespeare but need a hand to cross the road"

Trevor

Edit: I have no clue what happened there
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
8/8/2022 7:07:37 PM
1588 the English fleet defeats the Spanish Armada, how big was this to naval history!? Anyone??”

The defeat of the Armada was a huge victory. Some argue that the defeat came at the hands of unseasonable summer weather and harsh autumn and winter conditions in the North Sea and northwest of the Hebrides, and the weather certainly played a huge role in the destruction of the Spanish fleet. In brief terms, however, the following seem accurate:
•  The various squadrons of the English defenders had better leaders than did the Spanish fleet.
•  The English vessels were more manoeuvrable and faster than the Spanish vessels.
•  The English fleet had but one job defeat the Armada), while the Spanish had three all-but-simultaneous tasks (clear the sea of English ships; upload 20,000 troops under Parma from the Spanish garrison in the Netherlands; act as supply ships for the approx. 35,000 troops until they landed).

The defeat of the Armada was significant for the following reasons:
•  It put a virtual end to Philip II’s claim to the throne of England. He was Mary I’s husband, and argued (as did the Catholic Church) that Elizabeth I was illegitimate in the eyes of God.
•  It introduced by the victory a new form of naval warfare, where victory could be obtained by cannon fire alone.
•  While the English defeat did not give her ships freedom of the seas, it allowed the continuation of English privateering, and allowed further exploration by various Protestant nations, including the Netherlands.

Lots more worth saying, but those are IMHO the essentials.

Cheers
Brian G

Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
8/8/2022 7:35:38 PM
Trevor, it was not a big deal, and it seems what I said is buried in that stream of coding (if that’s what it is …). Typed out without the link, what I was noting was the following statement: “The German chancellor, National Socialist (Nazi) leader Adolf Hitler, called the car the KdF (Kraft-Durch-Freude)-Wagen (or “Strength-Through-Joy car), after a Nazi-led movement ostensibly aimed at helping the working people of Germany”.

Encyclopedia Britannica was, in my youth and early adulthood, a highly reputable source. For students of the arts in particular, the 11th Edition was considered the most scholarly collection of essays available. I get that this meant diddley-squat to science and technology students. At any rate, this struck me as an unnecessary editorial obtrusion. I won’t go so far as to say I found that “ostensibly” egregious, but I found it distasteful and out-of-place.

Of course, I also feel ashamed to have put all those bits, bytes, data, codes and the like to such an effort for the sake of one repetitive sentence! 

Cheers
Brian

Slightly edited 9 Aug

scoucer
Berlin  Germany
8/8/2022 8:15:41 PM
Quote:
Trevor, it was not a big deal, and it seems what I said is buried in that stream of coding (if that’s what it is …). Typed out without the link, what I was noting was the following statement: “The German chancellor, National Socialist (Nazi) leader Adolf, called the car the KdF (Kraft-Durch-Freude)-Wagen (or “Strength-Through-Joy car), after a Nazi-led movement ostensibly aimed at helping the working people of Germany”.

Encyclopedia Britannica was, in my youth and early adulthood. For students of the arts in particular, the 11th Edition was considered the most scholarly collection of essays available. I get that this meant diddley-squat to science and technology students. At any rate, this struck me as an unnecessary editorial obtrusion. I won’t go so far as to say I found that “ostensibly” egregious, but I found it distasteful and out-of-place.

Of course, I also feel ashamed to have put all those bits, bytes, data, codes and the like to such an effort for the sake of one repetitive sentence!

Cheers
Brian

Brian,

I agree. "ostensibly" is a value judgement and a denigration of facts. An unprofessional insertion of personal opinion. I somehow have the feeling the writer does not know the meaning of the word ie. stupid.

Trevor
George
8/8/2022 9:36:00 PM
Quote:
1987 Canadian Sidney Crosby is born where does he rank as A NHL star? What say you??

Crosby was touted as a little kid as a generational talent. And he has proved to be all of that. At 35 years of age, he is still one of the top players in the NHL.

Double Stanley Cup winner with Pittsburgh.

Has represented his country numerous times and is a two time gold medal Olympian.

I won't rank him. He is one of the best to have ever played and is the pride of Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia.

George
DT509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
8/8/2022 11:20:12 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Crosby was touted as a little kid as a generational talent. And he has proved to be all of that. At 35 years of age, he is still one of the top players in the NHL.

Has represented his country numerous times and is a two time gold medal Olympian.

I won't rank him. He is one of the best to have ever played and is the pride of Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia.

George

A fantastic player and winner who has such sweet skill and tough, mean grit. No doubt one of the best players in the game. Where does he rate? Well, he is not equal to Gretzky, Mario or Messier, more on equal skill terms with Yzerman, Sakic, Trottier and the wickedness of Dougie Gilmour. Of course this is subjective to my view of the game and its history but if someone told me I had a choice to take him on my team, he is in!

"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..." German officer, Italy 1944. “If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford
George
8/9/2022 6:58:52 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

George

A fantastic player and winner who has such sweet skill and tough, mean grit. No doubt one of the best players in the game. Where does he rate? Well, he is not equal to Gretzky, Mario or Messier, more on equal skill terms with Yzerman, Sakic, Trottier and the wickedness of Dougie Gilmour. Of course this is subjective to my view of the game and its history but if someone told me I had a choice to take him on my team, he is in!

It's so hard to rank these players who played in different eras. Gretzky played in a more wide open era with much more scoring, as an example. And he was a great player.

For me, Bobby Orr is the best player that I have ever seen play and if it means anything, Orr rated Sydney Crosby as one of the top 5 players of all time. And like Orr, Crosby has battled injuries. Concussions could have ended his career.

[Read More]

It's fun to compare players, but I just appreciate that I had the opportunity to watch these guys on Dan's list play hockey.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
8/9/2022 9:15:19 PM
Quote:
Hi MHO,

Back in history, 8-7, these events happened! Some events not commented on yet! Anyone??

1872 George Washington creates the Purple Heart Medal, my late father John, of the US 1st Cavalry received 2 of them for fighting in the Pacific in WWII, one in New Guinea, & another in the Philippines! I'M lucky to even be here, considering he was a scout for his unit!? Thanks dad!

1942 the Americans seize the airfield on Guadalcanal! This was one of the most contested horrific battles of WWII? What say you about one of the 1st losses by the IJA in WWII!? A critical victory!?? Comments, & websites??

1978 the Love Canal toxic leak near Niagara Falls, did it effect Canada?? Thanks for the post, George!

1987 Canadian Sidney Crosby is born where does he rank as A NHL star? What say you??well guys a different era, but Gordie Howe was pretty decent, & so was Steve Yzerman, not to bad as A GM either!?

Also yesterday 8-8 in history check these out! Comments??

1588 the English fleet defeats the Spanish Armada, how big was this to naval history!? Thanks Bri. good points!

1945 the Allies sign the London Agreement! What was it about?? Comments?

2000 The CSA submarine Hunlley's weakage was discovered in Charleston SC harbor! What say you about the 1st military sub!? I knew the guys who helped find it!? Any websites or posts on this ship!??

New topics, new comments! Anyone?
Regards,
MD

8-9 events in history! Posts welcome! Anyone??

1173 the Leaning Tower of Pisa is completed, how did it get its list?? Comments?

1814 the southern native Americans are forced to give up.much of their SW US lands to Andrew Jackson who was not a friend of the tribes! What say you??

1945 A 2nd Atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki, if the Japanese had know this was the last A bomb the US had? Would they have surrendered?? Comments?

1988 the Oilers trade Wayne Gretsky to LA!? Where they nuts?? Why? Comments??

1995 the leader of the Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia really was dead! What happened? Anyone?

George
8/10/2022 8:48:23 AM
Quote:
1988 the Oilers trade Wayne Gretsky to LA!? Where they nuts?? Why? Comments??

He was about to become a free agent. Edmonton is a small market and it was clear that they could not afford to pay Gretzky the money that he would want and would receive. No salary cap in those days.

But there is more. The owner was Peter Pocklington and his businesses were failing and so he off loaded Gretzky and other players to reduce payroll. Gretzky was an asset to be sold.

Edmonton didn't get much back for the deal but Pocklington did get $15 million from Bruce McNall of LA. Edmonton did get three, first round draft picks and players whose names escape me.

George
George
8/11/2022 3:18:51 PM
Quote:

Didn't the Wilmot Proviso fail? It was supposed to prevent slavery in any of the states that would result from annexation of Mexican territory. But if it was a failure, then what effect did it have?

George
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
8/11/2022 9:51:45 PM
I note it is argued that on this day in 1973 in Harlem, Hip-hop was born, created, given life, etc.

I’m not certain what hip-hop is, or whether it is an early name for rap. And I don’t know who was attending that party in Harlem. But I do know that Gil Scott Heron, in 19710 offered us “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised”, and that it now exists in lots of variants.

[Read More]

This remains, for me, the equivalent of “I too” or the Black Panthers or Malcolm X. That makes it part of the later historic Civil Rights movement, and therefore of historic significance.

Cheers
Brian G
scoucer
Berlin  Germany
8/12/2022 4:50:48 AM
Brian,

I actually met Gil Scott Heron in 1982. He played a small jazz club called Quasimondo in West Berlin. After the concert I was having a beer at the bar and he came and sat next to me. We chatted for about a half hour until he had to go to the hotel. A very knowledgeable, mild mannered, likable man.

Trevor
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
8/12/2022 9:39:25 AM
8-11 in history,

1919 Germany declares itself a republic, was it still considered a republic during WWII?? Anyone?

1964, The Beatles 1st album a Hard Days Night starts Beatles Mania! Do you consider them the #1 rock band of all time?? Comments?

2014 Comedian Robin Williams commits suicide! Why would someone so successful do such a thing? Others like him have also done it?? Comments?

9-12 today in history! New topics? Anyone?

1676 King Phillips War, What if the natives had concentrated their tribes & power early on in Colonial History, could they have driven the Europeans away?? What say you??

1877 Edison invents the Phonograph! What were his best inventions? Anyone??

1944 Joseph Kennedy killed in combat, some say he was to be Presidential!? What say you??

1961 the Commies begin building the Berlin Wall, how effective was it?? Anyone??

Just a few topics, any comments or other new ones??
Regards,
MD

George,

The reason the Wilmot Proviso didn't pass was the Senate, voted it down because it was anti new slavery! The Slave states were against it!?

George
8/12/2022 1:34:56 PM
Quote:
The reason the Wilmot Proviso didn't pass was the Senate, voted it down because it was anti new slavery! The Slave states were against it!?

Thanks MD. But what was the effect of the failure of the government to enact this legislation. Did it increase the tension between the north and the south? Just wondering what the ramifications of this setback were to the anti-slavery movement.

Cheers,

George
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
8/12/2022 8:23:23 PM
1877 Edison invents the Phonograph! What were his best inventions? Anyone?

In my experience, TAE’s work on audio transmission – his phonograph and its spinoffs – are at least most impactful.

I was lucky enough to inherit a late model but still hand-cranked Edison phonograph (from about 1909), together with almost 200 Edison tubes. IIUC, it was the secondary music source at the lighthouse my grandfather operated. The first source was, of course, the family itself. Note that the phonograph was not electrified. That’s because nor was the lighthouse. Until sometime around the sinking of the Titanic, the light itself was turned by clock-work and made effective by prisms; the fog horn activated by manual labour. 

Just two years ago, my older brother sent me two Ediphones, both of them fully electric. Essentially they were the same machine as the phonograph, but used slightly different material for recording voices so that any recording could be erased. But the technique used to record remained the same for decades: my father’s office dictaphone (which entranced me as a 10-year-old kid) cut sound waves into plastic spools rather than soft wax spools, and the sound transmission was better, but the machinery and foot pedal were essentially the same.

Edison did miss the boat a bit on minor things; the spool, e.g., was a good multipurpose tool, but recording to discs made cheaper production possible, and was much more readily used for stereo recording. But I think that Edison’s first device that could record voice was vital to the concept of communication in the 20th century.

Cheers
Brian G

Page 19 of 115 (Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18    19    20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115 )

© 2024 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC