MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

General History
Page 54 of 115 (Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53    54    55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115 )
Muskegon MI USA
This day in World History! Continued
1/29/2023 8:47:56 AM
Hi MHO,

check 1-29's events, & please comment on any??

1595 William Shakespeare's play Romeo, & Juliet is 1st preformed, what were Shakespeare's best works?? Anyone?

1785 John Hancock resigns as Governor of Massachusetts, what a Patriot, as we know he boldly in large print signed the Declaration of Independence! What say you about Hancock?

1845 Edgar Alan Poe publishes the Raven poem, Poe could certainly write scary stuff? Did his life reflect this? Anyone?

1850 Henry Clay proposes the Compromise of 1850, Did this only delay the Civil War! What was its premiss? & did it work?? Comments anyone??

1856 the Victoria Cross is 1st used by Commonwealth countries for military valor! What's the history of it, & is it a fair award?? Any websites or posts? What say you??

1863 the Bear River Massacre, 100's of Native Americans slaughtered by US troops! Why do we never hear of this in mainland America history?? Just what was the justification for it? Anyone??

1879 the Custer National Battlefield is dedicated. In retrospect was Custer in the wrong? & was his legacy justified?? Comments?

1916 Paris bombed by German ZeppelIns! How effective were the in WWI, for that matter, how destructive was the air war in WWI? Anyone??

1944 285 German bombers hit London! How effective was the RAF defense in slowing down the Luftwaffe at this time? What say you??

All new topics!
Lots to discuss here?
Regards,
MD
----------------------------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
1/29/2023 9:23:31 AM
Checking 1-28 in World History, we find the topics listed below. From previous page, for last chance discussions?

Today in history 1099, the 1st Crusade is in full swing with attacks in Syria, what say you about warfare over religion!?

1521 King Charles V opens a diet of Worms! It had to be awful for him unless he's like a Robin or Fish!? Any comments on the diet??

1547 A 9 year old succeeds Henry Henry VIII as king of England! How did this kid king do?

1864 in the CW the Battle of New Bern, NC. Who won & how important was this battle? Any CW posters, comments??

1865 Confederate President Jefferson Davis names 3 peace officers, did he hold out hope for a peaceful exit from the Union still?? What say you on how close the Confederacy, would come to a diplomatic end to the CW with independence for the South!? Comments, anyone??

1944 683 RAF Bombers attack Berlin! Greetings to the Fuhrer! How successful was this attack!? Anyone??

1973 Bloody Sunday in N. Ireland! Any posts on it's history of what occurred there? Anyone??

1822, Alexander Mackenzie's birthday,on this date, he was the 2nd Priminister of Canada, what kind of leader was he?? Comments?

Comments on the above events?
Anyone?? Or new events?

Cheers,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
1/29/2023 10:43:53 AM
Quote:

1973 Bloody Sunday in N. Ireland! Any posts on it's history of what occurred there? Anyone??
MD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM4vblG6BVQ
Phil Andrade
London  UK
1/29/2023 1:40:21 PM
1973 ?

1972, surely ?

This is worrying.

Is my memory failing ?

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
1/29/2023 2:00:36 PM
1972, it is!!!!!!
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
1/29/2023 2:03:14 PM
No Phil, your right on the year, another senior moment for me!?

BTW OP, changed your quote to an easier "read more", so everyone can take in U2's excellent rendition of " Bloody Sunday"!

Carry on!
MD

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MD
[Read More]

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
1/29/2023 7:16:55 PM
Quote:
On January 28, 1986 the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded on launch killing all seven members of the crew. A truly tragic event witnessed by millions on live television.

[Read More]

Gary

Hi Gary,

Your right a very tragic NASA event, maybe the most horrific space program accident of all? If I recall a school teacher was one of the astronauts, many schools were showing this to their students! Very sad! BTW a great website, it also showed the tragic fire, in the spacecraft episode, where 3 Astronauts were killed including Roger Chaffee from my area of West Michigan! We named our science museum after him!

Thanks, & regards,
MD
Wazza
Sydney  Australia
1/30/2023 1:15:57 AM
Bloody Sunday or as it is also known The Bogside Massacre is an excellent learning tool for leadership and loss of command and control.
But basically the para's (1 Para) frustrations and contempt for the locals was vented in that act.
The first inquiry was a complete sham.
The Saville inquiry was exceptionally more thorough. Following a twelve-year investigation, Saville's report was made public in 2010 and concluded that the killings were "unjustified" and "unjustifiable". It found that all of those shot were unarmed, that none were posing a serious threat, that no bombs were thrown and that soldiers "knowingly put forward false accounts" to justify their firing.

A shameful blight on British Airborne's history.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
1/30/2023 7:14:04 AM
“ A shameful blight “ ? Yes, indeed.

Deceit, delusion and denial, the three deadly “D”s.

The reason I challenged the date is because I have such clear recollection of news of the episode and the way some people reacted.

At the time, I was taking a year out before going to university, and spent most of that time “ on the dust “, an expression used to describe refuse collection.

I had a girlfriend in those days whose family lived in the county of Herefordshire. They were very posh people, proud of their status, and their outlook reflected that .

I stayed with the family shortly after Bloody Sunday and was astonished at the three deadly D syndrome that I witnessed.

They believed that some of the victims had been murdered by Provisional IRA gunmen who then threw their bodies into the fray in order to implicate the British soldiers, who were only trying to defend themselves !

The lesson stays with me, and I hope that I’ve not only learned it, but have managed to apply it.

There is ignorance and arrogance in all of us, and we must always be on our guard against them.

Regards , Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
1/30/2023 8:44:47 AM
Checking 1-29 in World History, we find the topics listed below., for last chance discussions?

Today in history 1099, the 1st Crusade is in full swing with attacks in Syria, what say you about warfare over religion!?

1521 King Charles V opens a diet of Worms! It had to be awful for him unless he's like a Robin or Fish!? Any comments on the diet??

1547 A 9 year old succeeds Henry Henry VIII as king of England! How did this kid king do?

1864 in the CW the Battle of New Bern, NC. Who won & how important was this battle? Any CW posters, comments??

1865 Confederate President Jefferson Davis names 3 peace officers, did he hold out hope for a peaceful exit from the Union still?? What say you on how close the Confederacy, would come to a diplomatic end to the CW with independence for the South!? Comments, anyone??

1944 683 RAF Bombers attack Berlin! Greetings to the Fuhrer! How successful was this attack!? Anyone??

1972, Bloody Sunday in N. Ireland! Any posts on it's history of what occurred there? Anyone?? & what do other Commonwealth countries think when the British act like this?? Anyone?

1822, Speaking of other Commonwealth countries, Alexander Mackenzie's birthday,on this date, he was the 2nd Priminister of Canada, what kind of leader was he? Fair to the 1st Nations? Comments?

Comments on any above events?
Anyone?? Or new events?

BTW last night in the American Conference Football Championship game a player from the losing team committed a personal foul, that led to the game winning kick! As KC advances to the Super Bowl with a 23-20 win! Now that Cinncy player is receiving death threats!? Do fans take sports to seriously? I mean they are playing child's games!? So its true of other sports as well?? What say you??

Cheers,
MD

Phil Andrade
London  UK
1/30/2023 5:18:54 PM
1649 : the execution of King Charles the First.
It doesn’t get much more dramatic than that.

The killing of a King.

He was beheaded, and the block and the axe was always a focal point of interest when I visited the Tower of London in my childhood .

Regards, Phil
DT509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
1/30/2023 10:31:13 PM
Quote:
BTW last night in the American Conference Football Championship game a player from the losing team committed a personal foul, that led to the game winning kick! As KC advances to the Super Bowl with a 23-20 win! Now that Cincy player is receiving death threats!? Do fans take sports to seriously? I mean they are playing child's games!? So its true of other sports as well?? What say you??

Cheers,
MD

I was watching an NHL game a couple of weeks ago and a referee makes a tripping call, the crowd boo's wildly and the camera ends up scanning the crowd and they catch a female fan giving it everything she has with a double bird and a "F YOU" verbal blast, it was so bad the announcers made some pretty funny comments about her. After watching the replay 3 or 4 times, everyone realized he made the correct call. My point, is that people lose their rational ability to think clearly in sporting events, live in an arena and even in front of a tv.

In regards to the Cincy player who made a huge mistake that did cost the Bengals a chance to get to the Super Bowl, two things: 1) Its a mistake that will never be forgotten by Cincy fans 2) It is not surprising he is receiving death threats, people are largely ignoramuses, add in sports, alcohol and the lack of fan accountability, it happens more often than we can imagine.; a World Cup goalie or defender I believe for a South American country years ago was killed because of play he made, shot in a cafe I believe.

In the case of the hockey fan, if I am the team management I visit her and suspend her for a certain amount of home games. My friends have season tickets to an NFL team and they are responsible for good behavior including those they give or sell the tickets too with the possibility of being suspended or permanently losing their seats based on bad fan behavior.

It's too bad the Cincy player made the mistake he did but no player should have to go through a death threat.

Dan

"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..." German officer, Italy 1944. “If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
1/31/2023 8:07:05 AM
"My point, is that people lose their rational ability to think clearly in sporting events, live in an arena and even in front of a tv."

Actually, they're just using their biggest muscle, the one between their ears.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
1/31/2023 9:08:38 AM
Quote:
"My point, is that people lose their rational ability to think clearly in sporting events, live in an arena and even in front of a tv."

Actually, they're just using their biggest muscle, the one between their ears.

Guys,

Sometimes, it's a fan who is the victim! A while back a Detroit Lions fan was beaten unconscious in Philly by Eagle fans just because he was wearing a Barry Sanders jersey!? Some cities fans seem worse than others??

What say you?
Peace,
MD
GaryNJ
Cumberland NJ USA
1/31/2023 9:38:55 AM
Fan violence is everywhere at sporting events even at high school and youth sports. Here is a short list of examples of fighting involving fans.

[Read More]
Gary
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
1/31/2023 9:41:05 AM
It's a day early but, check 2-1, in history, for topics.?
Anything for discussion??
welcome to February,

cheers,
MD

1587 Elizabeth I has her cousin Mary Queen of Scots put to death!? Why whatever for?? Anyone have the story on this??

1796 the capital of Upper Canada is moved from Newark to York? Where is Newark, Canada anyway!? Comments on why? Anyone??

1861 Texas seceded from the Union even though their leader Sam Houston begged then not to!? What say you? Was Sam the wisest Texan of them all? Comments?

1865 Gen WT Sherman begins marching through South Carolina! Is Uncle Billy, responsible for burning Columbia to the ground!? Some say the Confederate set bales of cotton on fire so the Union wouldn't get them for profit?? What about that??

1917 German Admiral Alfred von Tirpitz declares unrestricted U boat warfare against the Allies! How effective was this? Anyone?

1923 Facists form under Benito Mussolini! Have you ever seen the Duce smile?? How bad for Italy was this guy?? What say you?

1933 German Parliament is disolved! Could Hindenburg have stopped Hitler, early on if he had been more vigilant, & tougher!?? Comments?

1940 the Soviet Union invades Finland! Why did they (the Soviets), have such a hard time fighting the Fins? What say you?

1942 Vidkun Quisling is appointed leader of Norway by the Nazis! Why did they (Nazis) like him?? & why is his name dispised now in Norway? Anyone??

1920 the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are formed! How important were they to Canada's development!? How lawless might have Canada been without them? What say you??

Lots to discuss here!
Comments?
MD
George
Centre Hastings ON Canada
1/31/2023 3:54:36 PM
Quote:
1796 the capital of Upper Canada is moved from Newark to York? Where is Newark, Canada anyway!? Comments on why? Anyone??

Newark was the name of the town now called Niagara-on-the-Lake. It is situated near the point where the waters of the Niagara River below the falls enter Lake Ontario.

York sits on the north shore of Lake Ontario and is now Canada's largest city, Toronto.

This is a map of the region not much after the American Revolution. The British had created Upper and Lower Canada out of the colony of Québec.

John Graves Simcoe was a British soldier and the Lt.Gov. of the colony. He decided that Newark was too close to the American border as New York State was directly opposite the town, just across the Niagara River. There is an American fort directly opposite Newark called Fort Niagara. That location was first established by the French, taken over by the British and finally by the Americans after the Revolution.

Simcoe realized that Newark was subject to attacks by the Americans and felt that it was better to move the administration of the province of Upper Canada across Lake Ontario to York.

He was somewhat prescient in that Newark was burned to the ground by American forces on Dec. 10, 1813. The American forces had failed in their attempt to control the Niagara Peninsula and were about to vacate Fort George which they had seized from the British. Fort George is directly opposite Fort Niagara on the US side.

The Americans decided to burn all of the homes in Newark and they turfed the citizens out in the cold and destroyed their homes leaving 400 people looking for shelter. They claimed that they didn't want to leave lodgings for British troops but failed to destroy the nearby British encampments. The Americans were assisted by the Canadian traitor, Joseph Willcocks, who with his Canadian volunteers were happy to assist the Americans in firing the homes.

So Simcoe was wise to move the capital to York but that was insufficient to stop the Americans from landing there on April 27, 1813 to burn the fortifications. The British blew up a magazine at the time and that killed many US soldiers including General Pike. But the location of the capital at York didn't save it from attack.

Cheers,

George
scoucer
Berlin  Germany
1/31/2023 6:25:28 PM
Quote:

1933 German Parliament is disolved! Could Hindenburg have stopped Hitler, early on if he had been more vigilant, & tougher!?? Comments?

Lots to discuss here!
Comments?
MD

Hindenburg did not want to appoint Hitler but the Nazi Party "Sicherheitsdient", the Party internal intelligence organisation, had evidence that Hindenburg´s son had been involved in extensive embezzlement. They blackmailed.him.

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
George
1/31/2023 9:10:55 PM
Quote:
1920 the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are formed! How important were they to Canada's development!? How lawless might have Canada been without them? What say you??

The name RCMP may date from 1920 but the police force may be traced to 1873 with the formation of the North-West Mounted Police (later Royal North-West Mounted Police)

The Dominion of Canada came into being in 1867 and the new federal government decided that it was important to send a paramilitary police force to the west. The eastern part of the new country received police service from the Dominion Police which came into being in 1868 to enforce federal laws in the new country.

But the west was unsettled territory and the NWMP were deployed to interdict the whiskey trade which was destroying the lives of First Nations people out west. Whiskey traders from the US were crossing the line and trading booze for furs and whatever else the FN had. Initially, the force was to be called the North-West Mounted Rifles but there was a concern that the Americans would see the force as a military group and would respond in kind. Better then to call it a police force.

And it was a small group of a few hundred men that kept the peace in the west and the far north, for the most part.

In 1920 it was decided that the country did not need two federal police forces and so the Dominion Police and the Royal North-West Mounted Police (prefix "Royal" added in 1904) were amalgamated to become the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
2/1/2023 9:33:05 AM
Quote:
Quote:

Newark was the name of the town now called Niagara-on-the-Lake. It is situated near the point where the waters of the Niagara River below the falls enter Lake Ontario.

York sits on the north shore of Lake Ontario and is now Canada's largest city, Toronto.

This is a map of the region not much after the American Revolution. The British had created Upper and Lower Canada out of the colony of Québec.

John Graves Simcoe was a British soldier and the Lt.Gov. of the colony. He decided that Newark was too close to the American border as New York State was directly opposite the town, just across the Niagara River. There is an American fort directly opposite Newark called Fort Niagara. That location was first established by the French, taken over by the British and finally by the Americans after the Revolution.

Simcoe realized that Newark was subject to attacks by the Americans and felt that it was better to move the administration of the province of Upper Canada across Lake Ontario to York.

He was somewhat prescient in that Newark was burned to the ground by American forces on Dec. 10, 1813. The American forces had failed in their attempt to control the Niagara Peninsula and were about to vacate Fort George which they had seized from the British. Fort George is directly opposite Fort Niagara on the US side.

The Americans decided to burn all of the homes in Newark and they turfed the citizens out in the cold and destroyed their homes leaving 400 people looking for shelter. They claimed that they didn't want to leave lodgings for British troops but failed to destroy the nearby British encampments. The Americans were assisted by the Canadian traitor, Joseph Willcocks, who with his Canadian volunteers were happy to assist the Americans in firing the homes.

So Simcoe was wise to move the capital to York but that was insufficient to stop the Americans from landing there on April 27, 1813 to burn the fortifications. The British blew up a magazine at the time and that killed many US soldiers including General Pike. But the location of the capital at York didn't save it from attack.

Cheers,

George

Hi George,

Having been to Niagara on the Lake, & Fort Niagara on the American side. I see Simcoe's point! (BTW, is this the guy who has the big Canadian Lake named after him??) Also Joseph Willcocks doesn't sound like a bad chap, helping the Americans & all. What happened to him?

Ya gotta love Canadian US history!
Cheers,
MD
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
2/1/2023 9:41:55 AM
Quote:
Quote:

Lots to discuss here!
Comments?
MD

Hindenburg did not want to appoint Hitler but the Nazi Party "Sicherheitsdient", the Party internal intelligence organisation, had evidence that Hindenburg´s son had been involved in extensive embezzlement. They blackmailed.him.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Good point. From this point on wouldn't you say Hitler, & the Nazis used coercion, propaganda, & terrorism, strong arming their way to power!? This & the fact the German people were desperate for a radical change!? Hitler & the Nazis were the straw that stirred the drink!?

Desperate people do desperate things!?
Regards,
MD

Or, am I off base here??
George
2/2/2023 7:44:00 AM
Quote:
Hi George,

Having been to Niagara on the Lake, & Fort Niagara on the American side. I see Simcoe's point! (BTW, is this the guy who has the big Canadian Lake named after him??) Also Joseph Willcocks doesn't sound like a bad chap, helping the Americans & all. What happened to him?

Ya gotta love Canadian US history!
Cheers,
MD

Lake Simcoe is a very large lake about one hour's drive north of Toronto. It was the closest cottage country for Toronto folks and the lake is chock-a-block with summer homes. But it is also a place with new subdivisions and people who drive to Toronto for work. Lt. Gov. Simcoe named the lake after his father. Of course, the Wendat First Nations (Hurons) had their own name for the lake and the French gave it another name when they arrived. Lt. Gov. Simcoe liked to rename everything with English names.

As for the traitor, Joseph Willcocks, he was actually a parliamentarian in the Upper Canada Parliament. He was a reformer and a Whig. There was a form of representative government in Upper Canada but the executive council and the Lt. Governor had the power to veto or modify legislation.

Willcocks was a bit of a rabble rouser and was dismissed from a secondary role as Sheriff in the town of York for misbehaviour. The Lt. Gov. dismissed him.

He was re-elected two more times however. But he made enemies in his professional career. Privately, he was a publisher. He was Irish and had arrived in Upper Canada in 1799. His sympathies were with the Irish.

So disenchanted and upset by his treatment while working in York, he moved to Newark and began to publish an anti-government newspaper. Even so, he was still elected to Parliament in 1808.

When the War of 1812 began Joseph Willcocks fought for the British side. General Isaac Brock asked him to negotiate with the Six Nations reserve to bring them onside. Willcocks fought at the Battle of Queenston Heights when the First Nations, British and militia defeated the American invaders.

Sometime in 1813 he defected to the American side. He had already been in communication with the Sec. of State for the US and was sending information to the US side before he defected.

He had become disenchanted with the government's hard line control of the people and the reduction in freedoms during wartime. And so he crossed to the American side in July and they immediately made him an officer. As a Major he raised the Company of Canadian Volunteers comprised of other Canadians who were disenchanted with British rule in Upper Canada.

The US General McClure appointed Major Willcocks to be the chief of police of the Newark area. Willcocks treated his fellow Canadians with disdain, controlled their movements and interrogated them about British troop movements and their support of the British. Willcocks was involved in many actions on the behalf of the US.

The Company of Canadians was involved in several instances of property damage and Willcocks seemed to target former enemies and their property quite eagerly. The sacking of Newark by Willcocks and US General McClure was the worst operation that he undertook.

Willcocks was a man who always sought an edge for himself. He sought to be in the company of benefactors and when the war appeared to be turning in favour of the Americans in 1813 Willcocks, who had before professed his disdain for Americans as "dishonest people", determined to jump to the winning side.

He was killed at the Battle of Fort Erie in September of 1814 and he is buried in Buffalo, New York. So the story goes, Joseph Willcocks was shot in the chest by a former neighbour who hated him for Willcock's destruction of his property.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
2/2/2023 7:47:33 AM

That Groundhog saw his perverbial shadow!

Six more weeks of winter, currently quite cold 8 F, late tonight, in Michigan, & even below freezing on Friday in Myrtle Beach, SC!

But we're heading further south on Saturday, to Hilton Head Island, it has to eventually warm up? How's weather in your neck of the world??

Terrible cold & ice storm in Texas, 8 dead, & 400,000 without power, they have it the worst!?

Today 2-2 in history!

1349 The Black death in London was taking over 200 per day Comments anyone??

1787 the Articles of Confederation are in effect, why was this not a final step in US Government? Anyone??

1848 A large shipment of Chinese arrive in San Francisco, when did Canada get most of their Far East Immigrants? Also to build the RR?

Also in 1848 the US takes 4 states from Mexico! Was this justified or imperialism?? What say you?

1901 Queen Victoria's funeral! How would you rate her reign? Comments, anyone??

1944 Allied Troops 1st set foot on Japanese soil! Why did it take so long? Comments?

1989 terrible cold spell goes across N America! What winter do you remember as the worst? This year is kind of bad! Comments??

As I mentioned some what cold,
down south here as well!
Regards,
MD

BTW, thanks George, for the reply on the Niagara region, maybe the British & Americans could of traded? Joseph Willcocks for Benedict Arnold!? ☺
GregT
Three Rivers MA USA
2/2/2023 12:23:26 PM
Here in western Ma. it's been the mildest winter I can remember. Most days in Dec. & Jan. had highs in the 40s F.

Also barely any snow. I used my snowblower once for 3 inches and haven't touched it since.

The forecast for tomorrow and Sat. is for highs in the teens then back to the 40s.

I have no complaints though.
George
2/2/2023 12:55:14 PM
Quote:
That Groundhog saw his perverbial shadow!

Six more weeks of winter, currently quite cold 8 F, late tonight, in Michigan, & even below freezing on Friday in Myrtle Beach, SC!

That's your groundhog, MD. Ours is just across Georgian Bay in the town of Wiarton and Wiarton Willy did not see his shadow. So that means an early spring. All I know is that a cold front from the Arctic is descending and we will be freezing our buns off shortly. The temperature right now is around 0 C. By Friday morning, it will be -23 C. (about -9 F)

Still that isn't too bad. For the most part the weather has been acceptable, just below freezing.

Put no faith in the prognostications of these rodents.

George
DT509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
2/2/2023 12:58:37 PM
Quote:
1944 Allied Troops 1st set foot on Japanese soil! Why did it take so long? Comments?

MD

Help me out with this MD, where did this occur and which troops?

Dan

"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..." German officer, Italy 1944. “If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
2/2/2023 2:15:16 PM
Quote:
Quote:

MD

Help me out with this MD, where did this occur and which troops?

Dan

Hey Dan,

I get these events not from my own knowledge but from daily websites on history. This one indicated it was in the Battle of Kwajalein Island, it was a vital Allied victory because it was the 1st time the outer ring of.the Japanese territorial sphere was conquered!? The IJA lost over 4,300 troops with only 166 surrendering!? The 4th Marine division & 7th Army Division were involved, I.know you could look up more specifics!??

& I'm sure you have access to better WWII Pacific information!
Sorry it's always not real specific??

Regards,
MD

BTW, you guys are right about this winter, it's kind of a mixed bag, sometimes not bad & other times nasty!?? ☺
George
2/2/2023 4:55:28 PM
Quote:
Also in 1848 the US takes 4 states from Mexico! Was this justified or imperialism?? What say you?

Too bad we don't have a poster from Mexico to give his point of view?

The US had just concluded a war with Mexico and took over 50% of Mexico's land mass as a spoil of war, I guess.

Was it justified? Better to ask whether the war was justified. That depends upon how we look at things. If we believe that Manifest Destiny was a legitimate guiding principle behind expansion, then I suppose any piece of land that the US wanted and took was taken legitimately.

If we believe that Texas was a legitimate independent state and that its later annexation by the US was legitimate then I suppose the war with Mexico was justified.

The Mexicans didn't feel that Texas was legitimately part of the US and were willing to fight over it. They felt that the US had stolen their land. The US had designs on California and New Mexico as well as a disputed border with Texas. (Rio Grande River or Nueces River as the border) When the US sent an envoy to Mexico to present an offer to buy those territories, the Mexicans turned it down.

And so the US decided to go to war with Mexico in May of 1846. Remember that the US signed the Oregon Treaty with Great Britain in June of the same year. The victory over Mexico and the seizure of all that Mexican territory gave the US ownership of the Pacific coast right up to the 49th parallel. There were other differences between Mexico and the US but none that justified war, I don't believe.

I know that some northern politicians were against this war but I do wonder how many Americans were convinced that they had a God given right to hegemony over a continent hence, Manifest Destiny.

Cheers,

George
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
2/2/2023 5:35:51 PM
Neither party originally owned any land in the Western Hemisphere, so such quibbles are picayune at best.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
2/3/2023 9:04:56 AM
A few events from 2-3 in World History!

On 2-3, 1783, Spain recognizes US independence, yet in the coming decades the US will take territories from Spain!? Some friend! What say you??

1855 the Wisconsin Supreme Court declares the Fugitive Slave Law unconstitutional!? Other states followed, how did that go over down South!? Comments!?

1916 Canada's Parliament Buildings burn down!? What's the story there? Arsen?? Comments?

1917 the US liner Housitanic sunk by German U boat! Why? & what happened because of it? Anyone??

MD
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
2/3/2023 9:06:54 AM
Other events on 2-3, were!??

1943 @ 1,000 Flying Fortresses drop 5,000 tons of bombs on Berlin! A gift to Hitler!! Comments??

1947 -63 degrees C in Snag, Yukon a N. American cold record, does it still.stand today!? Anyone??

1966 Russians land a unmanned craft on the moon, how did this effect the space race?? Comments?

Lots to discuss here!?
Regards,
MD
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
2/3/2023 10:09:38 AM
Quote:
Quote:

Too bad we don't have a poster from Mexico to give his point of view?

The US had just concluded a war with Mexico and took over 50% of Mexico's land mass as a spoil of war, I guess.

Was it justified? Better to ask whether the war was justified. That depends upon how we look at things. If we believe that Manifest Destiny was a legitimate guiding principle behind expansion, then I suppose any piece of land that the US wanted and took was taken legitimately.

If we believe that Texas was a legitimate independent state and that its later annexation by the US was legitimate then I suppose the war with Mexico was justified.

The Mexicans didn't feel that Texas was legitimately part of the US and were willing to fight over it. They felt that the US had stolen their land. The US had designs on California and New Mexico as well as a disputed border with Texas. (Rio Grande River or Nueces River as the border) When the US sent an envoy to Mexico to present an offer to buy those territories, the Mexicans turned it down.

And so the US decided to go to war with Mexico in May of 1846. Remember that the US signed the Oregon Treaty with Great Britain in June of the same year. The victory over Mexico and the seizure of all that Mexican territory gave the US ownership of the Pacific coast right up to the 49th parallel. There were other differences between Mexico and the US but none that justified war, I don't believe.

I know that some northern politicians were against this war but I do wonder how many Americans were convinced that they had a God given right to hegemony over a continent hence, Manifest Destiny.

Cheers,

George

Hi George,

IMHO, the US like Great Britain, & many other European Countries had imperialistic tendencies at this time. At the same time the Mexican Government was quite harsh regarding Texas, & its citizens!? Not to justify it but to the US settlers at this time, Manifest Destiny certainly sounds like a good idea!?

Thanks for the response!
MD

George
2/3/2023 10:27:20 AM
Quote:
1916 Canada's Parliament Buildings burn down!? What's the story there? Arsen?? Comments?

Note the date, 1916. When Parliament burned down the immediate speculation was that the Germans had somehow come to Ottawa and set fire to the buildings. The police scooped people with German sounding games and questioned them. People were pointing out others who appeared to look "foreign" to the police.

A man with a Belgian passport was arrested in Windsor because he had a foreign sounding accent. Initially it was reported that his Belgian passport was a forgery and he was held because he had a postcard in his pocket that was a photo of the Parliament buildings. Aha? Got him. Nope, he was a tourist.

As it turns out the blame may be laid at the foot of whomever was smoking in the Parliament building reading room. MP's were fond of reading newspapers and documents in that room and smoking despite the fact that there was a clear prohibition on smoking in the buildings.

This parliament building was quite ornate and beautiful inside with plenty of woodwork. Add newspapers sitting on the tops of tables and the use of shellacs and varnishes on the wood finishes and there was plenty of fuel for the fire. Framing was of the driest pine. It had been reported that members were fond of resting their pipe or cigar on a table and wandering off.

PM Robert Borden and his secretary barely made it out on hands and knees. Important and historical records were lost.

Two MPs were in a washroom and they made a rope out of towels and escaped through a second floor window.

The Speaker of the House raced to find his wife and children and they escaped. But his wife had been entertaining three other women and two of them turned back because they wanted to rescue their fur coats. They perished as did five others for a total of seven.

Firefighters worked tirelessly and did manage to save the Parliamentary library but the Centre Block was destroyed.

Cheers,

George

George
2/3/2023 10:54:52 AM
Quote:
Hi George,

IMHO, the US like Great Britain, & many other European Countries had imperialistic tendencies at this time. At the same time the Mexican Government was quite harsh regarding Texas, & its citizens!? Not to justify it but to the US settlers at this time, Manifest Destiny certainly sounds like a good idea!?

Thanks for the response!
MD

Perhaps the Mexican government was harsh but remember that Texas was part of Mexico as was California and New Mexico. Mexico had achieved independence from Spain in 1821 and those provinces were part of Mexico.

Ironically, it was the Mexicans who invited Americans to settle in Mexican territory. Mexico was concerned that the US would attempt to annex their territory and felt that it was wise to populate those provinces and to enforce Mexican law. In return, those who did settle in Mexican territory were given free land. The Mexicans had deals with individuals who would be responsible for finding settlers and bringing them in. One of those was Stephen Austen.

He brought in 300 families and each family was given 4,605 acres. Austen was rewarded with even more land as a reward for bringing in settlers.

So what did Mexico do to offend the settlers in Texas to cause them to rebel? For one, they passed laws to limit and then ban slavery. Many of the settlers had arrived with slaves and wanted to keep them. Mexico did back off on that legislation in the case of Texas.

The Texicans didn't want to pay more taxes to Mexico and there was considerable unrest. When the Mexicans under Santa Anna tried to impose control, fighting broke out and these skirmishes continued for some time. Santa Anna sent troops in 1835 and a civil war broke out. The rebellious Texans were well assisted by the government of the US which supplied arms and other supplies to the rebels. And many Americans travelled to Texas to assist the rebels in the fight.

With Santa Anna's defeat, the Texicans declared independence.

In 1845 the term Manifest Destiny was popularized and embraced by many Americans. Texas had asked to be annexed shortly after defeating the Mexicans but it was rejected because the US didn't want to add another slave state. But by 1845 the US felt that strategically it would be important to own Texas as well. That would provide protection to the port of New Orleans. So they annexed it.

The US had already annexed the Republic of West Florida in 1812 or 1813 (and all land to the Mississippi River) and I would have thought that that provided protection for New Orleans.

It is important to note that Mexico had never recognized the Republic of Texas. They considered Texas to be a rebellious province. And of course then, they could not recognize the annexation of the Republic of Texas by the US. This contributed to the start of the Mexican-American War as the Mexicans felt that the US had stolen their land. Were they correct to believe that?

So other than wanting to end slavery, how did the Mexicans abuse the settlers that came to Texas?

Cheers,

George

George
2/3/2023 11:25:23 AM
As we sit here in Ontario basking in -23 C temperatures we are reminded that on Feb. 3, 1947 in Snag, Yukon, the coldest temperature ever recorded in Canada was -63 C or -84.4 F.

So should we quit with all the belly aching about the cold? Not likely.

George
DT509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
2/3/2023 11:57:19 AM
Quote:
Hey Dan,

I get these events not from my own knowledge but from daily websites on history. This one indicated it was in the Battle of Kwajalein Island, it was a vital Allied victory because it was the 1st time the outer ring of.the Japanese territorial sphere was conquered!? The IJA lost over 4,300 troops with only 166 surrendering!? The 4th Marine division & 7th Army Division were involved, I.know you could look up more specifics!??

& I'm sure you have access to better WWII Pacific information!
Sorry it's always not real specific??

Regards,
MD

All good MD. That outer ring was punctured back in 42, finalized in early 43 at Guadalcanal. Even Tarawa (Nov 43) is considered part of that ring and the comments posted that Kwajalein was the first time the outer ring was conquered is in my opinion, incorrect. If I recall correctly, it was not until Saipan was taken that actual Japanese territory prior to WWII was conquered.

Dan
morris crumley
Dunwoody GA USA
2/3/2023 4:27:34 PM
George conveniently leaves out the fact that those American settlers who were invited to settle Tejas....swore an oath of allegiance to the Mexican Constitution. The same Constitution that Santa Anna struck down as he also abolished the Mexican Congress and became the Supreme Dictator.

In the minds of the legal settlers to Tejas, they did not ever swear allegiance to a Damn dictator.

Respects, Morris
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
2/3/2023 6:37:58 PM
Check 2-4, in history, for topics.? Posting them a bit early, but still worth discussing!??

1194 King Richard I, $100,000 paid for Ransom, paid out for what reason? What's the story on how this predicament happened?? What say you? Anyone??

1787 Shay's Rebellion! Any comments or websites on this event? How was it tied to the American Revolution? Anyone?

1789 George Washington becomes 1st US President! How was he elected? Was the US a true democracy yet?Comments, on how it differed from today's US Government??

1810 Royal Navy seizes Guadeloupe! Back then did the RN just take what they wanted!? Could any other countries navy rival them? .what say you??

1822 Free American Blacks form Liberia in West Africa! What's the history behind this?.Who was behind it? Anyone?

1861 Jefferson Davis elected president of the Confederacy! Was he the best choice? Comments?

1932 Japanese forces take Manchuria, why wasn't anyone concerned?? What say you??

1938 Hitler siezes control of the German Army, is there any stopping him now!? Anyone??

1941 British Tanks occupy Lybia, how will they fare against the Afrika Korps!? How would the embattled island of Malta ultimately help? Comments, anyone??
Lots to discuss here!?

1991 Alex Trebek a Canadian? Becomes 1st person to host 3 game shows at once? Any more on this famous Canuck??

Cheers,
MD

Any other world events we missed from this time frame? Anyone??

Morris, "Tejas"! Are you talking ZZ Top's album??
George
2/3/2023 8:06:35 PM
Quote:
George conveniently leaves out the fact that those American settlers who were invited to settle Tejas....swore an oath of allegiance to the Mexican Constitution. The same Constitution that Santa Anna struck down as he also abolished the Mexican Congress and became the Supreme Dictator.

In the minds of the legal settlers to Tejas, they did not ever swear allegiance to a Damn dictator.

Respects, Morris

Thank you for your response, Morris. I should have mentioned that Santa Anna did diminish the powers of the provinces when he ignored the constitution. It was a provocation undoubtedly.

However, it seems to me that rather than that fact becoming the sole reason for rebellion that it was an excuse. The many Americans who had settled legally in Texas plus those that arrived and squatted greatly outnumbered those descended from the original Hispanic people there. Those Americans were very close philosophically to the US, were they not?

The US employed similar tactics and created critical masses of Americans in other places before annexation occurred. Oregon, West Florida are examples.

I think that the intent of the Mexicans to abolish slavery had a great impact on the Americans, many of whom had sworn loyalty to Mexico, but whom were slave owners.

As well there is a debate as to how much the US was involved in fomenting rebellion in Texas. The US was eager to supply arms and other supplies to the rebels. From a Mexican perspective, the annexation of Texas seemed to happen too quickly given that the Republic of Texas only existed for 10 years before the plan to annex was carried out. And discussions between the two Republics had been ongoing from the time that Texas had declared independence.

That the US was eager to acquire land is not debatable. They had been very successful at that and only the British North Americans had been able to thwart the annexation of their lands by the US. There were still serious suggestions during the civil war and immediately afterward that the Canadas and the Maritime provinces should be annexed. That hunger for expansion had not died.

The pretext for going to war with Mexico was the accusation that Mexican soldiers had fired upon Americans in American territory, I believe That that territory which was north of the Rio Grande River happened to be Mexican territory in the eyes of the Mexicans was not important to the US.

So was war declared to force Mexico to recognize Texan independence or a ploy to effect expansion to the Pacific? Both perhaps.

Cheers,

George
George
2/3/2023 8:39:55 PM
Quote:
1991 Alex Trebek a Canadian? Becomes 1st person to host 3 game shows at once? Any more on this famous Canuck??

Indeed he was born and raised in Canada. But he had a successful career in show biz in Canada before jumping to the US.

He was born in 1940 in Sudbury, Ontario which is mining country in central/north Ontario. He went to high school in Sudbury and then the University of Ottawa where he received a degree in Philosophy. While he was studying, Trebek was also working at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC). And he stayed with them after graduation and became a jack of all trades in broadcasting.

He read the news. He hosted game shows. He hosted Music Hop. He worked for CBC from 1961 until he left for the US in 1973.

Check out Trebek as host of Music Hop in the early '60's

[Read More]

He was well known among high school students as the host of Reach For the Top. In this show, two high schools would compete and attempt to answer questions to earn points. Each person had a buzzer much like Jeopardy. I recall this show very well because I was a member of my high school team. (1968, I think) and we participated in one of the most lop sided demonstrations of knowledge as an all girls team from one of the private Catholic high schools (Loretto Abbey for the Toronto folks out there), demonstrated all the knowledge while we struggled to find the buzzer.

Unfortunately, Alex Trebek had the week off when our taping took place so our moderator was a woman named Jan Tennant. Still fun but embarrassing.

Alex hosting Reach For the Top

[Read More]

I cannot find any clips but Trebek was also a sports reporter. I remember when he was on the CBC broadcast of curling matches. You can't get more Canadian than that.

Cheers,

George

Page 54 of 115 (Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53    54    55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115 )

© 2024 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC