MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

General History
Page 59 of 114 (Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58    59    60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114 )
Centre Hastings ON Canada
This day in World History! Continued
3/3/2023 3:28:17 PM
Mar. 3, 1838. Battle of Pelee Island

In a previous post I had mentioned that people from Upper and Lower Canada had rebelled against British authority, seeking government reforms that gave more freedom to people and the elected legislatures and fewer unlimited powers to the Governors and their Executive Councils.

These rebellions in 1837 and 1838 were put down assertively by the British regulars and Canadian militias. But the insurrectionists did not go away. In Lower Canada, they formed cells of Frères Chasseurs both in LC and across the border in Vermont. From there they hoped to organize attacks at a later date.

Rebels in Upper Canada had fled to the US to Michigan and Ohio and New York. There they found sympathizers to the cause with a heavy influence from the Irish community. The Canadians and the Americans began to form their own insurrectionist cells under the umbrella of the Hunter's Lodges organization. Initially, the Canadians had great influence within the Hunter's Lodges but their goals were not the same as the goals of the American members who were in the majority. Primarily the Canadians wanted more representative government but under British rule. The Americans felt that the expulsion of Britain from Upper Canada was the goal.

The Michigan cells in particular wanted to seize the SW peninsula of Upper Canada and annex it to the state of Michigan. Michigan had only received statehood in 1837.

There were a number of incursion into Upper Canada territory and one of those was the invasion with several hundred armed men, of Pelee Island. Pelee Island is in Lake Erie, on the Canadian side of the line. It is quite close to Sandusky, Ohio. It was from here that the Patriots, as the members of the Hunter's Lodges called themselves, formed up to raid Pelee Island. The raid should have taken place earlier but they invaders had to wait for a solid freeze-up in an unusually mild winter. By Feb. 26, the ice was solid enough to support sleds, horses and men.

Note that these Hunter's Lodges were not part of the US military. Quite the contrary. In fact, the US eventually had to dispatch troops to the border to discourage US citizens from violating British sovereignty.

However, that did not stop the Lodges from giving military titles to the leaders of the insurrectionists.

So on Feb. 26, "Major" Lester Hoadley and 300 men invaded and captured Pelee Island. They imprisoned some of the inhabitants and stole grain and goods and personal property in the homes. Some of the residents managed to escape and made their way across frozen Lake Erie to the Canadian side to report on the events that had occurred.

Colonel John Maitland was commander of the western district and he responded quickly. He sent a small recce party to assess the strength of the enemy and also to determine whether the ice was solid enough for travel. Assured that it was, on Mar. 3 he sent 5 infantry companies plus militia units and First Nations warriors. At night they approached and sent troops around the island to the south side to prevent an escape of the Americans and any Canadians with them.

The invaders bolted out of the brush to meet 126 regulars led by Capt. George Brown, on the ice. There was a sharp skirmish. At least 11 from the US based side were killed including the leader. The British and Canadian side had lost 5 men. The British made a bayonet charge that scattered the invaders many of whom had bolted for home.

Called the Battle of Pelee Island, this fight was more of a deadly skirmish. But the British and Canadians had already defeated another cell from the Hunter's Lodges on Feb. 25 on Fighting Island. So twice in one week, Upper Canada had been forced to defend its sovereignty.

These raids were all designed to eliminate British influence and to annex BNA territory. The US was hard pressed to control these secret cells who were participants in what is called in the US, the Patriot Wars of 1838.

These Patriot Wars may receive little attention in the history books but they do account for some of the paranoia that existed in Upper and Lower Canada that told the British subjects that the US at times and some of its citizens acting independently of their government at other times, coveted BNA and indeed, after 1867 Canada too. I think that the concerns were quite valid.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/3/2023 3:34:00 PM
Again, some topics, for the 4th,& 5th of March! Any good discussions?? Heading back to Michigan over the WE!!

1776 the Americans take the Heights over Boston! Why did the British have trouble holding the Boston Area? Anyone?

1804 big criminal up rising in Austrailia, the Battle of Vinegar Hill! What was this about? Any Commonwealthers know? What say you?

Many Presidents inaugarated on these dates? Why these 2 dates? Comments??

1936 Hindenburg disaster! What caused it? Anyone?

& on 3-5, in 1770 the Boston Massacre occurs! What was its influence in the Revolution? What say you??

1836 Samuel Colt starts producing Colt pistol weapons! How effective were they? What was the best model? Comment??

1862 the Union takes another coastal town in NE Florida! Why were they able to control the Confederates coasts anyone??

1943 the RAF bombs Essen, Germany! How effective was this mission? Anyone?

1946 Winston Churchill's, Iron curtain speech! How right on was WSC? Anyone have a web on the speech?? Comments as well??

2019 the Canadian government is involved in a scandal involving bribes from an engineering firm Justin Trudeau is possibly involved? What's this all about? Anyone?

See any discussion events??

Peace,
MD

George,

Thanks for the post on the Battle of Pelee Island!? Ever been there??
----------------------------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/3/2023 7:08:54 PM
Quote:
MD, you write: Quote:
Scary that now Putin is threatening NATO with using the bomb! The man seems insane enough to use it? Would you say today's threat is worse than it was during the Cuban Missile Crisis?? Anyone?
He may be that insane, I guess, I’m not sure he could actually trigger such a catastrophe should he decide to introduce the nuclear option. There may be all kinds of systems in place to deny him codes or nullify his orders, which would make sense. Didn’t a senior US military officer also comment that there were procedures in place to keep Mr Trump from generating a similar catastrophe? Not necessarily meant as a comment about Mr Trump, the point is that it’s possible that the nuclear threat remains so huge that most nuclear nations would have control mechanisms to lessen the danger of rage-induced nuclear exchange.

I believe the world was at greater risk during the Cuban Missile Crisis than we are now, despite the recent shift of the Doomsday Clock. For one thing, Khrushchev’s Russian military was, under his direction, nuke-heavy. Placing them within 90 miles of the US was a bold move, and was a threat which – once discovered – had to be resolved. JFK was, I believe, masterful in his handling of his first major Cold War crisis, but it was Mr Khrushchev who backed down. IMHO, we are nowhere near reaching that confrontational level over Ukraine.

IIRC, Nikita Khrushchev’s “blink” over Cuba was the beginning of the decline of his strength and influence. And I believe that in Ukraine we are seeing the seeds of Mr Putin’s decline. I don’t think he is powerful enough or popular enough to survive the loss of face that a withdrawal from Ukraine might mean. I sense that by attacking Ukraine, Mr Putin has broken a trust between the Russian people and their love of Rodina. Russia is increasingly not buying into Mr Putin’s arguments and justifications for the invasion.

So why is he talking nukes? Because they are still a large part of the threat of “The Russian Bear”. To threaten is not to use, and there are no indications that use of nukes at this moment would be decisive. Nobody goes nuclear on spec!

Cheers,
Brian G

Hi Brian,

I hope your right about the safegards in place to keep Putin in a moment of rage from starting WWIII ? Maybe If Kai reads this he could lend his expert point of view? So basically your saying it's not as easy as pushing a button?? It would be probably for the better if Putin was overthrown, if that's even possible??

Hey MHO this could be the ultimate thread,

Feel free to respond! ??
Anyone, Regards,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
3/3/2023 7:55:12 PM
MD, you say: “I hope your right about the safegards in place to keep Putin in a moment of rage from starting WWIII ? Maybe If Kai reads this he could lend his expert point of view? So basically your saying it's not as easy as pushing a button?? It would be probably for the better if Putin was overthrown, if that's even possible?”

MD I hope so too. I also hope I’m right about controls on US , British, French, Indian, Chinese and any other Russian leaders. I’m even more concerned about Israeli and North Korean nuclear controls, as it appears I might soon have to worry about Iranian nuclear holdings.

I’d love to hear Kai’s commentary as well. He certainly appears to me to be harsher in his assessments of Russian power than I am, and he has – I have to assume – a broader, more accurate set of sources to draw from than I come even close to.

IMHO, if Mr Putin ever faces any kind of political overthrow it will not provide a better or more stable foundation for what we expect (rather arrogantly and naively, IMHO) to be a “kindler, gentler” Russia. I’d like to hear other MHOers’ comments, just as I’d like to hear Kai’s.

Cheers
Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
George
3/3/2023 9:27:48 PM
Quote:
2019 the Canadian government is involved in a scandal involving bribes from an engineering firm Justin Trudeau is possibly involved? What's this all about? Anyone?

No. SNC Lavalin is an engineering company that does work in Canada and all over the world. They have been caught bribing people in Québec to win a $126 million dollar contract. But they were also discovered to have bribed officials in Libya in order to win a contract.

The involvement of the Canadian government had to do with possible interference by the PM and cabinet members with the justice system. SNC Lavalin is a major employer, one of those "too big to fail" outfits. Criminal convictions of this company or its executives were probably seen by the PM as an outcome that he could not live with should the company be forced to close.

The Minister of Justice, an elected member of Parliament, also doubles as our Attorney-General. She claims that she was pressured not to go the criminal prosecution route and was transferred out of her position as Minister of Justice by the PM. It would have been perfectly legal for the Minister not to pursue criminal charges and to apply what is called a "deferred prosecution agreement" in which a company like SNC Lavalin would pay a hefty fine and be on watch to assure that fraud of the nature of that committed by SNC does not occur again.

I surmise that because the Minister was bounced that she would not bend and wanted to pursue criminal charges.

But the scandal is that the government attempted to influence the decision of the Minister/Attorney-General. That's not on.

The Ethics Commissioner investigated the whole affair and found that PM Trudeau was in violation of the Conflict of Interest Act which prohibits this sort of interference in the justice process. The Ethics Commissioner concluded that while the Minister was not specifically told that she must apply a Deferred Prosecution Agreement to the case, that the intent to imply just that was there.

Meanwhile PM Trudeau had not only removed the Minister/A-G from her cabinet post but had had her removed from caucus. She no longer sat as a Liberal and is out of politics right now.

PM Trudeau issued statements that were contradictory in that he accepted the report of the Ethics Commissioner but denied any wrongdoing.

The whole affair has a fishy smell about it but I must say that neither the government nor the PM were involved in taking any bribes.

The independence of the judiciary is a corner stone of the Canadian judicial system. This independence is supported fully in the constitution.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/4/2023 7:08:35 AM
Quote:
MD, you say: “I hope your right about the safegards in place to keep Putin in a moment of rage from starting WWIII ? Maybe If Kai reads this he could lend his expert point of view? So basically your saying it's not as easy as pushing a button?? It would be probably for the better if Putin was overthrown, if that's even possible?”

MD I hope so too. I also hope I’m right about controls on US , British, French, Indian, Chinese and any other Russian leaders. I’m even more concerned about Israeli and North Korean nuclear controls, as it appears I might soon have to worry about Iranian nuclear holdings.

I’d love to hear Kai’s commentary as well. He certainly appears to me to be harsher in his assessments of Russian power than I am, and he has – I have to assume – a broader, more accurate set of sources to draw from than I come even close to.

IMHO, if Mr Putin ever faces any kind of political overthrow it will not provide a better or more stable foundation for what we expect (rather arrogantly and naively, IMHO) to be a “kindler, gentler” Russia. I’d like to hear other MHOers’ comments, just as I’d like to hear Kai’s.

Cheers
Brian G

That's comforting Brian!

& George, We all have ghosts in our closets!?

MD
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
3/4/2023 9:19:28 AM
Scale matters. I shot a guy in LA back in the '80s. No charges filed. Auschwitz, different by scale.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/6/2023 8:15:41 AM
Check for topics for today's date!?

1530 England's King Henry VIII, request for divorce is denied by the Pope! How does this event effect Britain to this day?? Can any one fill us in??

1774 King George III, closes the port of Boston over a tea party! Seems a little harsh? What say you?. Who was to blame??

1778 Captain James Cook is along the Oregon Coast, how much of the BC coast will he explore? & does it effect the future Canadian west coast?? What say you??

1843 Governor Kavanagh of Maine, 1st Catholic Governor! Does Maine have a problem with it's border with what will be future Canada? What is the result?? Anyone??

The Compromise of1850 is endorsed! What is it's significance to the future Civil War?? Comments?

1864 areas around Kinston NC. Is about to fall to the Union! Is this bad for the Confederates? Is the end near? Comments?? Anyone?

1902 Boars defeat the British in South Africa! How did they give the most powerful nation on earth such a hard time?? What say you??

1876 AG Bell patents the telephone! Is this disputed? Comments?

1912 Roald Amundsen announces his discovery of the South Pole! How will this turn tragic for England?? What say you?? BTW I believe Kia's relative from that era, knew Amundsen pesonally!? Kai??

1836 Hitler sends troops into the Rhineland! Is something similar happening today? History repeats itself?? Comments?

1939, what did Auld Lang Syne have to do with Canada?? Really!? Anyone??

1942 15 Spitfire fighters sneak into Malta! How will this help save the embattled island!? Comments on these heroic & other great defenders of Malta!? Any good websites or videos on the battle for Malta, & its significance!?? What say you?

1984 the US attacks Nicaragua! What ever for?? Anyone??

Again hopefully, peace in the Ukraine!?
Regards,
MD
Phil Andrade
London  UK
3/6/2023 8:53:17 AM
Dave,

The Boers did not win the war against the British in 1902.

The British won the war, and imposed a peace treaty on the Boers in 1902.

It was not a victory in which the British could take much pride : the Empire had mobilised 450,000 troops in order to subdue 80,000 Boer fighters, and had suffered several severe defeats at their hands.

More notoriously, the Boer civilians were interned in camps, and twenty six thousand of them - mainly women and children-died from the squalid conditions in these “ Concentration Camps”.

This reflected ineptitude on the part of the British : not deliberate cruelty. It should be noted that thirteen thousand British soldiers also perished from disease.

The subsequent peace was remarkably successful given the bitterness of the conflict : barely a decade later, some of the Boers who had fought against the British Empire were fighting on the side of the British against the Germans in WW1.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/6/2023 3:11:01 PM
Hi Phil,

I didn't mean the Boers won the war! I meant to say they won a battle on this day in 1902! It was the Battle of Tweebosch, Transval! & yes, they beat the British!?

Sorry I was vague!
Cheers,
MD
Phil Andrade
London  UK
3/6/2023 5:18:02 PM
Quote:
Hi Phil,

I didn't mean the Boers won the war! I meant to say they won a battle on this day in 1902! It was the Battle of Tweebosch, Transval! & yes, they beat the British!?

Sorry I was vague!
Cheers,
MD

Now you’ve taught me something, Dave !

I must find out about this battle.

Thanks for explaining !

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
George
3/6/2023 5:18:20 PM
Quote:

The tune is Scots and with lyrics either written by Robert Burns or taken down by him as he listened to Scottish folk singers sing it.

In North America it was popularized by a big band out of Canada called Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians. I recall that Lombardo and his band played Auld Lang Syne as the ball dropped in NYC for what seemed like forever. The band was popular and certainly played much more than this single number. But Guy Lombardo and the band received considerable notoriety from their association with Auld Lang Syne.

Neither Canada nor Guy Lombardo had anything to do with writing this song. But North Americans and US citizens in particular embraced both the song and the band.

[Read More]

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/7/2023 7:27:30 AM
Check for topics for today's date!? March 7th, lots to discuss here, any new events? Anyone??

1530 England's King Henry VIII, request for divorce is denied by the Pope! How does this event effect Britain to this day?? Can any one fill us in??

1774 King George III, closes the port of Boston over a tea party! Seems a little harsh? What say you?. Who was to blame??

1778 Captain James Cook is along the Oregon Coast, how much of the BC coast will he explore? & does it effect the future Canadian west coast?? What say you??

1843 Governor Kavanagh of Maine, 1st Catholic Governor! Does Maine have a problem with it's border with what will be future Canada? What is the result?? Anyone??

The Compromise of1850 is endorsed! What is it's significance to the future Civil War?? Comments?

1864 areas around Kinston NC. Is about to fall to the Union! Is this bad for the Confederates? Is the end near? Comments?? Anyone?

1902 Boars defeat the British in South Africa! How did they give the most powerful nation on earth such a hard time?? What say you??

1876 AG Bell patents the telephone! Is this disputed? Comments?

1912 Roald Amundsen announces his discovery of the South Pole! How will this turn tragic for England?? What say you?? BTW I believe Kia's relative from that era, knew Amundsen pesonally!? Kai??

1836 Hitler sends troops into the Rhineland! Is something similar happening today? History repeats itself?? Comments?

1942 15 Spitfire fighters sneak into Malta! How will this help save the embattled island!? Comments on these heroic & other great defenders of Malta!? Any good websites or videos on the battle for Malta, & its significance!?? What say you?

1984 the US attacks Nicaragua! What ever for?? Anyone??

Regards,
MD

BTW

Phil, that was a huge battle, even though the Boer's lost the war, here the largest British force in the Transvaal was neutralized,do you think Lord Kitchener was behind setting up the Brits for defeat! What's your take on Kitchener? He appears wanting at times??

George thanks for the take on Guy Lombardo & Old Lang Syne!

Phil Andrade
London  UK
3/8/2023 4:38:37 AM
Hi Dave,

You ask me for my take on Kitchener.

I’ll try and answer firing from the hip, so to speak, without checking facts and relying on impressions rather than research and knowledge.

He was an arch imperialist, a man bent on deploying military might to protect and expand the British Empire.

His abilities were of the grand geo strategic kind, good at organising resources and and marshalling manpower and materials in pursuit of the goals of an Empire at war.

He would pursue these goals with a degree of ruthlessness that inspired awe and a degree of revulsion. He was the “ go to guy “ for politicians who sought an agency to do the dirty work.

A war winner, but not someone suited to fight a battle.

This is submitted by me with diffidence, and I’ll welcome criticism if f I’ve made ill informed comments.

Regards, Phil
scoucer
Berlin  Germany
3/8/2023 9:06:26 AM
Quote:
Hi Dave,

You ask me for my take on Kitchener.

I’ll try and answer firing from the hip, so to speak, without checking facts and relying on impressions rather than research and knowledge.

He was an arch imperialist, a man bent on deploying military might to protect and expand the British Empire.

His abilities were of the grand geo strategic kind, good at organising resources and and marshalling manpower and materials in pursuit of the goals of an Empire at war.

He would pursue these goals with a degree of ruthlessness that inspired awe and a degree of revulsion. He was the “ go to guy “ for politicians who sought an agency to do the dirty work.

A war winner, but not someone suited to fight a battle.

This is submitted by me with diffidence, and I’ll welcome criticism if f I’ve made ill informed comments.

Regards, Phil

No criticism Phil. No one lesser than Falkenhayn agreed with you.

He added " He will let France and Russia take the brunt of the fighting for the first two years while building a large army which he believes will produce victory and place Britain at the head of the table in the peace negotiations".

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/8/2023 4:03:51 PM
3-7, Great Discovery: Sir Ernest Shackleton’s Endurance ship is FOUND off coast of Antarctica

[Read More]

[Read More]

Anymore on this recent discovery, or other Cold weather wreck finds??

3-8, Along another topic, What about the formidable 1st Nations Tribes of Canada's Pacific Coast!? They were feared, by all White Explorers & groups because of their fIerceness, intelligence, & warlike ways!? I refer of course to the Tlingit, Haida, Tsimshian, & other tribes which put fear into the European intrusions on their territory!?

Comments or websites welcome on this topic!?

Regards,
MD

BTW Any more on Kitchener? How did he get such a prominent leadership role with the Military of this timeframe in the 1st place?? Anyone??
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/9/2023 12:39:51 PM
Quote:
Battle of Hampton Roads in 1862.

Steam-powered, iron-clad warships in the American Civil War, the Union's USS Monitor and the Confederate's CSS Virginia, fire on each other for four hours off Hampton Roads, Virginia. The engagement of iron-fortified battleships ends in a draw.

Dick.

Any websites or comments on the significance of the Battle of Hampton Roads??

Thanks!
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
3/9/2023 2:55:58 PM
It nearly didn't happen. If Merrimac hadn't come out when Monitor arrived at Hampton Roads the orders were to proceed up the Potomac and defend Washington from Merrimac.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/10/2023 8:18:40 AM
Hey guys,

We need to revive MHO, things seem to have slowed down? Lets all try to get more involved, some members hardly post any more? And this has been such a good site!? What say you? Here's a completely new post for today's World history from me! Hoping multiple replies will result? Or should we just let things die on the vine? Does anyone even give a rat's ass!? Maybe I'm being overly harsh?? If so sorry!?

3-8, 1702, the British thrown ascended by Queen Anne, from the Act: of settlement 1701, making the way for the Hanoverian's, from James I, to lead English Monarchy, how long did this line rule, & were they any good as rulers?? Anyone??

1942 Japanese troops capture Rangoon from Commonwealth forces! When did the tide finally turn in the Malaysian Peninsula? Why ,& how were the British, & Allies able to defeat IJA? Anyone?

1917 the US Senate passes a rule of Cloture, limiting Filibusters! Do you think that filibusters are non productive & A waste of time?? Comments? What say you??

Also in 1917 the beginning of the Russian Revolution! Why historically are the Russians so different than the rest of Europe? Even today they do things that are aggressive, & not easily explained?? Like the War against Ukraine?? What say you??

1817 the NY Stock Exchange was formed, does your country have a similar economic vessel? Is it really productive for all or a place for conniving & making $$ by the rich??

3-9 in history,

1943, Bobby Fischer world chess champion is born! What say you on the game of chess? It does have a military like strategy? Is it still prominent at all? Do you play it? Comments, anyone??

1945 the USAF uses incidinary Napalm bombs on Tokyo destroying 1/4 of the city with 80,000+ civilian deaths! When was Naplam 1st used? Is it still used in explosive rounds today?
Comments, anyone?

1916 Poncho Villa raids Columbus, New Mexico, killing more than a dozen Americans! Did the US over react in invading Mexico going after him? What resulted??

1831 the French Foriegn Legion is formed! Are they still in existance? What say you about this adventurous force with the cool hats??

& finally today 3-10-1933 in world history, the Nazis open their 1st Concentration camp! How long was these dark death camps kept secret from the free world!? How could this happen? Terrible, what say you??

1947 Kim Campbell Prime minister of Canada is born! What was her legacy as Canada's leader? Frankly I've never heard of her? Am I bad??

1969 James Earl Jones, killer of ML King Jr. Sentenced to 99 years, how much did this ruthless act effect Civil Rights even today?? Anyone?

1864 ACW, the Red River Campaign begins, who won? Anyone??

1876 Alexander Graham Bell invents the telephone! What was his nationality, & how important was this invention?? I don't think today's youth would even know what an old phone was, or its function?? ☺ Comments??

There, I put a fair effort into this post!
Hope to get good responses???

Regards,
MD

Phil Andrade
London  UK
3/10/2023 10:58:24 AM
Quote:

1864 ACW, the Red River Campaign begins, who won? Anyone??

The Confederates won. The main victor is the legitimacy of the word FIASCO as a description.

Regards, Phil
George
3/10/2023 3:50:41 PM
Quote:
1947 Kim Campbell Prime minister of Canada is born! What was her legacy as Canada's leader? Frankly I've never heard of her? Am I bad??

Quite an accomplished woman. Well educated and she had served as a Progressive Conservative cabinet minister and in several roles including Justice Minister, Attorney-General and Minister of Defence.

The Conservative Party had won a majority in the 1988 election with Brian Mulroney as Prime Minister. But the country would change in the next few years resulting in discontent among the electorate.

Brian Mulroney had negotiated the trade deal that would become NAFTA and there were many Canadians who were convinced that it was a foolish step that would cost many jobs. Canadians had expected Mulroney to amend the constitution but that failed and in the process failed to bring Québec on board as a signer of the constitution. In two attempts to unify the provinces, the PC's had failed. (Meech Lake and Charlottetown).

Mulroney was also involved in a scandal whereby he was accused of accepting a bribe to assure that Air Canada would purchase Airbus AC for its fleet. My memory fades but I believe that the scandal took place after the events of 1993.

So Mulroney's personal approval rating had tanked. I looked this up but his approval rating was 12% in 1992. The federal election was to be held in 1993 and PM Mulroney decided to step down. This happens in our system as the parties gear up for an election. It was clear to the PC's that their chances to win were diminished with Mulroney at the helm. Time then for a new leader.

Kim Campbell on the other hand was a very popular politician and had represented Canada at NATO meetings. And so at the PC party leadership convention in June of 1993, she won and became leader of the PC party. And that meant that she also was appointed as the PM for the remainder of the term.

Campbell gauged the situation in the country and called the federal election for October. Whether Campbell was popular or not was irrelevant. The country had had its fill of the Progressive Conservatives and they lost. I believe that it was one of the worst defeats in Canadian history as the PC's went from majority to holding only two seats. Unheard of it. And the official opposition at the federal level was the separatist party in Québec, the Bloc Québécois. Odd that, I think. A party whose stated goal was to take the province of Québec out of Confederation was Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition.

Kim Campbell?? She also lost her seat in her Vancouver riding. She was out and had served as Prime Minister for only 123 days.

I am pretty sure that she had served in the British Columbia legislature but as a member of the Social Credit Party. I don't know whether jumping from the Socreds at the provincial level to the Progressive Conservatives at the federal level left a bad taste in the mouths of BC voters.

Cheers,

George

EDIT: I want to add that Campbell is still active. She was (is??) on the board that advises the PM about possible Supreme Court appointments.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/11/2023 7:15:35 AM
Only 123 days as Canada's Prime Minister, know wonder I didn't hear of her???
George
3/11/2023 7:31:59 AM
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that there were two other PM's with shorter terms. That can happen under the Westminster system. We don't elect the PM directly. The PM is usually the leader of the party that wins the most seats in the federal election.

So there are circumstances under which a PM can lose the confidence of the House of Commons or lose the confidence of his own party resulting in a leadership review and possible replacement.

Hard to explain but perhaps best said if I suggest that we elect a government to govern us. In theory, that collective is more important than the single leader who is replaceable. That PM is accountable to the Parliament and not directly to the electorate except in his own riding. Constitutionally, even if symbolically only, executive power is vested in the crown. The PM and his cabinet exercise that power on behalf of the crown.

The PM has a lot of power but under this system he is not viewed in the same way that an elected President of a republic may be. His pedestal is much lower to the ground.

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/11/2023 9:58:26 AM
Quote:
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that there were two other PM's with shorter terms. That can happen under the Westminster system. We don't elect the PM directly. The PM is usually the leader of the party that wins the most seats in the federal election.

So there are circumstances under which a PM can lose the confidence of the House of Commons or lose the confidence of his own party resulting in a leadership review and possible replacement.

Hard to explain but perhaps best said if I suggest that we elect a government to govern us. In theory, that collective is more important than the single leader who is replaceable. That PM is accountable to the Parliament and not directly to the electorate except in his own riding. Constitutionally, even if symbolically only, executive power is vested in the crown. The PM and his cabinet exercise that power on behalf of the crown.

The PM has a lot of power but under this system he is not viewed in the same way that an elected President of a republic may be. His pedestal is much lower to the ground.

George

Hi George,

Thanks for that, your PM's power is much more precarious, I wish some of the US political appointees were as liquid, maybe they would be more fair to all!??

MD

BTW Daylight savings time coming up 2 in the morning set your clocks forward, you lose an hour!? Does your area have Daylight Savings Time? Do you personally like it?? What say you?? Anyone?
DT509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
3/11/2023 11:35:55 AM
Quote:
BTW Daylight savings time coming up 2 in the morning set your clocks forward, you lose an hour!? Does your area have Daylight Savings Time? Do you personally like it?? What say you?? Anyone?

I will be glad when we stop playing Father Time with the clocks in two-years.

Dan
"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..." German officer, Italy 1944. “If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford
George
3/11/2023 12:23:01 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Be glad when we stop playing Father Time with the clocks in two-years.

Dan

I am ambivalent. I think however that if you live in a northern climate that the number of daylight hours are precious. In the spring and summer we receive many more hours of daylight hence the desire to use those hours when most of the people are awake.

My province, Ontario has already approved a move to permanent DST but only if New York state and Québec go the same route.

The real problem is in the dead of winter if we are on permanent DST. In my part of Canada we would get a few extra minutes of daylight at the end of the day. But the mornings would be dark until after 8:30 AM for a good part of the winter. That's problematic for school kids who will be walking to school in the dark or waiting to catch the school bus in the dark.

Oshawa is a city just on the east side of Toronto and about 1.5 hours from my home. I looked this up and in late December and January the sun would not rise until after 8:30 AM. The latest time for sunrise will be 8:49 AM.

Windsor is directly across the river from Detroit, Michigan and the sun will not rise until 9:01 in early January.

On New Years Day in Vancouver, the sun will rise at 9:01.

I would prefer not to have to switch twice a year but why has permanent standard time been rejected in North America. Is there a preference for more light at the end of the day? Is that why DST is popular right now?

The trade-off is darkness at wake-up time and that is not supposed to be good for our health. I am a morning person and I like to see that early sunrise.

We do need some consistency in North America especially between the US border states and Canadian provinces. Trade would be impacted if one or the other was working to a different clock.

Cheers,

George

GregT
Three Rivers MA USA
3/11/2023 3:29:13 PM
If I had to choose one or the other I'd go with standard time. During my working years I got up anywhere between 1:00am and 5:00am.

After 11 years of retirement things haven't changed a lot, still always up around 4:00am.

So like George I also like the sunrise. Best time of the day I think.
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
3/11/2023 3:38:16 PM
72 and still on military time. Up with the crack, turn to and then hit the sack.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/11/2023 7:36:42 PM
Quote:
If I had to choose one or the other I'd go with standard time. During my working years I got up anywhere between 1:00am and 5:00am.

After 11 years of retirement things haven't changed a lot, still always up around 4:00am.

So like George I also like the sunrise. Best time of the day I think.

Guys,

I also am a morning person, also being a x teacher I also thought daylight savings time helped the kids be safe waiting for buses with some daylight most winter mornings!

Gotta set the clocks forward before bed tonight!
Cheers,
MD

BTW its Spring Break for alot of schools this week! Sure glad kids aren't wild any more, like we were in the day?! Not! ☺
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
3/11/2023 8:40:49 PM
George, as to:Quote:
The real problem is in the dead of winter if we are on permanent DST. In my part of Canada we would get a few extra minutes of daylight at the end of the day. But the mornings would be dark until after 8:30 AM for a good part of the winter. That's problematic for school kids who will be walking to school in the dark or waiting to catch the school bus in the dark.

Oshawa is a city just on the east side of Toronto and about 1.5 hours from my home. I looked this up and in late December and January the sun would not rise until after 8:30 AM. The latest time for sunrise will be 8:49 AM.

Windsor is directly across the river from Detroit, Michigan and the sun will not rise until 9:01 in early January.

On New Years Day in Vancouver, the sun will rise at 9:01.

Starting last Aug 1, I began recording a series of time and weather data for my home town. Included is daily times of sunrise and sunset were we on DST. The results would make me argue either for a continuation of the biennial change of times or use of ST year-round. DST is indeed a bad option for year-round time-keeping.

On the winter solstice, Victoria received 8h 19m of daylight and 15h 41 of darkness. Sunrise: 9:02; sunset: 17:21. But those numbers don’t just apply to the solstice. That 8:19/15:41 ratio lasts from 18 Dec – 28 Dec. But in fact, Victoria’s latest dawn comes at 9:05, and lasts from 26 Dec –6 Jan. Bottom line: Victorians go from 17 Dec – 16 Jan with dawn at 9:00 or later.

Obviously, we get the same number of hours whether on one standard or the other. So, the earliest sunset under DST would be 17:19. This year that ran for 11 days from 6 – 18 Dec.

Seems to me that the current system of switching measurement times gives us the best of possible worlds, to be honest.

More than that, I will admit to trouble understanding how a single hour’s shift in time twice a year can have metabolic effects which are either long-lasting or debilitating. Why don’t people who complain about the twice-annual time change not complain about travelling for Thanksgiving or other holidays? I gotta say my life isn’t that time sensitive. And we’re not talking the jet-lag associated with travel to other continents. There is, IMHO, something of a hint of first-world hyperindulgence in being so disturbed by a relatively minor clock adjustment.

Cheers
Brian G

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/12/2023 9:39:18 AM
Hi guys,

One last shot at these topics not yet commented on?

3-8, 1702, the British thrown ascended by Queen Anne, from the Act: of settlement 1701, making the way for the Hanoverian's, from James I, to lead English Monarchy, how long did this line rule, & were they any good as rulers?? Anyone??

1942 Japanese troops capture Rangoon from Commonwealth forces! When did the tide finally turn in the Malaysian Peninsula? Why ,& how were the British, & Allies able to defeat IJA? Anyone?

1917 the US Senate passes a rule of Cloture, limiting Filibusters! Do you think that filibusters are non productive & A waste of time?? Comments? What say you??

Also in 1917 the beginning of the Russian Revolution! Why historically are the Russians so different than the rest of Europe? Even today they do things that are aggressive, & not easily explained?? Like the War against Ukraine?? What say you??

1817 the NY Stock Exchange was formed, does your country have a similar economic vessel? Is it really productive for all or a place for conniving & making $$ by the rich??

3-9 in history,

1943, Bobby Fischer world chess champion is born! What say you on the game of chess? It does have a military like strategy? Is it still prominent at all? Do you play it? Comments, anyone??

1945 the USAF uses incidinary Napalm bombs on Tokyo destroying 1/4 of the city with 80,000+ civilian deaths! When was Naplam 1st used? Is it still used in explosive rounds today?
Comments, anyone?

1916 Poncho Villa raids Columbus, New Mexico, killing more than a dozen Americans! Did the US over react in invading Mexico going after him? What resulted??

1831 the French Foriegn Legion is formed! Are they still in existance? What say you about this adventurous force with the cool hats??

& 3-10, in-1933 in world history, the Nazis open their 1st Concentration camp! How long was these dark death camps kept secret from the free world!? How could this happen? Terrible, what say you??

BTW did you know the Nazis had a concentration camp in the British Channel Islands? Anyone on this little known situation??

1969 James Earl Jones, killer of ML King Jr. Sentenced to 99 years, how much did this ruthless act effect Civil Rights even today?? Anyone?

1876 Alexander Graham Bell invents the telephone! What was his nationality, & how important was this invention?? I don't think today's youth would even know what an old phone was, or its function?? ☺ Comments??

Anything new from 3-11??

Regards,
MD

BTW, Great responses on the time change issue.
DT509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
3/12/2023 12:06:06 PM
Quote:
1945 the USAF uses incidinary (incendiary) Napalm bombs on Tokyo destroying 1/4 of the city with 80,000+ civilian deaths! When was Naplam 1st used? Is it still used in explosive rounds today?

Regards,
MD

In regards to the use of "naplam", I believe it was first used in 1943 somewhere in a Papua New Guinea battle and, the French Foreign Legion (FFL) still exists and continues to fight. For those interested in joining the FFL, you will need to go to France and locate a FFL office or recruiting station and it is then and there you can sign up; good luck!

Dan
"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..." German officer, Italy 1944. “If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford
George
3/12/2023 3:17:44 PM
Quote:

We here in the great white north are often perplexed when we hear Americans claim Bell as their own. We think of him as Canadian.

The truth is that he was not only Canadian but American and Scottish before that.

Born in 1847 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Emigrated to Canada in 1870 with his parents. That would make him 22 when he arrived in North America. So his formative years and his education were furnished in the land of his birth, Scotland. However, he has been described as an indifferent student whose mind would wander to the things that he found interesting like speaking machines and the physiology of speech. He taught at schools for the deaf.

He demonstrated his intellect and engineering talents at the age of 12 when he invented a process to remove husks at a flour mill owned by a family friend.

When they came to North America in 1870, they settled in Brantford which is a town to the west of Toronto in Ontario. In 1871 he accepted a job in Boston as an educator of the deaf. It was at one of the schools for the deaf that he would meet his future wife who was deaf. He also knew Helen Keller who paid tribute to his inventive work with the deaf.

He would return to Brantford in the warmer weather to rest and to think. According to Bell the inspiration for the telephone came as he sat by the Grand River in Brantford and watched the currents. Apparently this led to his belief that sound waves combined with electricity could be transmitted through the air by controlling the intensity of the current. He sketched his first first primitive telephone while in Brantford.

It is also true that the first famous phone call between Bell and Watson took place at his lab in Boston on Mar. 10, 1876. Bell had taken an American patent on the device about one month earlier. But further testing of the utility of the invention took place in Brantford.

Quote:
4.THREE GREAT TESTS

Bell returned to Boston in July 1876 to conduct further tests in an attempt to transmit speech over telegraph lines but did not consider them to be successful. He was not satisfied with his experiments until he conducted what Thomas B. Costain has called "the three great tests of the telephone"'.

In the first of these one-way tests using lines provided by the Dominion Telegraph Company, the transmitter was located in Brantford, Ontario, Canada, and the receiver a few miles away in the village of Mount Pleasant. "This test, made over a telegraph line in early August 1876, claims to be the first truly successful telephone communication between communities. In the second test on August 4, 1876 a connection was made between the Bell Homestead at Tutelo Heights and the office of the Dominion Telegraph Company in Brantford at a distance of some four miles. This was accomplished by stringing stovepipe wire between the Homestead and the telegraph line running between Brantford and Mount Pleasant. This time the one-way test was arranged so that guests at the Bell Homestead could clearly hear various messages transmitted from Brantford. Then, on August 10, 1876, the third of the three tests was held over the eight- mile telegraph line between Brantford and Paris, Ontario, with the battery in Toronto, 58 miles away. This successful test is claimed by Canada to be the world's first long distance call. A notice of these experiments appeared in the Scientific American magazine of September 9, 1876, in an article entitled: "The Human Voice Transmitted by Telegraph".

Bell, Watson and others formed the Bell Telephone Company in 1877. He took care of his father in Brantford, Ontario by assigning the rights to the telephone to him. Bell married the woman whom he had met as the school for the deaf and took out US citizenship in that year. Of note, he had no need to take out Canadian citizenship as in that period, all Canadians were also British subjects which was Bell's status when he moved to Canada. Bell was a wealthy man by the age of 35 and apparently lost interest in the telephone and moved on to other things.

Bell was certainly an inventive man. In 1880 he invented a photophone which was not economically viable but he proved that sound could be transmitted on light beams. In 1881 he tried to invent something that would find the bullet that had entered Pres. Garfield's body. He did not succeed in time to prevent his death but did eventually produce a metal detector which was used by military surgeons.

He and a cousin improved upon Edison's phonograph with the invention of a graphophone which refined the scratchy sound delivered by Edison's device.

By the 1890's Bell had turned his attention to flight, aviation. He formed a company with some other engineers and Glenn Curtiss who built motorcycle engines. to explore the concept. By this time Bell had established an estate at Baddeck, Nova Scotia. The company alternated work between the facility in the US and Bell's estate at Baddeck.

In 1907 and 1908 he and his company flew several planes for short distances. With Curtiss at the controls, one of the company's creations flew over a kilometre which was a record in 1908.

In 1909 a member of the company name McCurdy flew the Silver Dart at Baddeck, Nova Scotia. This is considered to be the first powered, heavier than air flight in Canada. The company, called the American Experimental Company ceased to operate at that time but the Canadian Aerodrome Company arose from the ashes supported by Bell. The company hoped to encourage the Canadian government to invest in their airplanes. They took two planes to a military base at Petawawa and demonstrated their capabilities but the government wouldn't bite and the company folded in 1910.

Silver Dart

Bell continued to work at Baddeck with other engineers and invented something he called hydrodromes or hydrofoils.

Bell, Frederick Baldwin and Baldwin's son Robert on an experimental hydrofoil on Bras d'Or Lake, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

In 1919, the sailed the HD-4 hydrofoil on that lake at 114 km per hour, a world marine speed record.

' class='img-fluid'>https://www.oldsaltblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/hd4.jpg' class='img-fluid'>

Some video of Bell in his hydrofoil

[Read More]

This is Beinn Bhreagh, the name of the Bell estate at Baddeck in Nova Scotia. It was declared a provincial historic site in NS in 2015 and apparently is still owned by Bell's descendants. Built in 1893

Bell's labs near Baddeck, Nova Scotia

Bell died in 1922 at his estate in Baddeck, NS. He and his wife are buried there on a hill that overlooks the bay at Baddeck.

So a brilliant inventor and despite his US citizenship, he is acclaimed here as a son of Canada. Forgive us please, Scotland.

In 1977, the government of Canada declared him a National Historic Person. He has been inducted into Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame, the Canadian Science and Engineering Hall of Fame and Canada's Walk of Fame.

$200 pure gold coin

An important inventor and educator of the deaf, I think that all three countries may lay claim to Alexander Graham Bell. His accomplishments are his own or shared with other engineers.

Where was the telephone invented?

Quote:
"The instrument (Gallows Frame telephone) just as you see it here was invented in the summer of 1874, during a visit I paid to my father and mother in Brantford, Canada."
. source: Alexander Graham Bell, Jan. 25, 1915 at the opening of the first transcontinental telephone line, NYC to San Francisco.

Good enough for me.

Cheers,

George
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
3/12/2023 6:30:54 PM
“1945 the USAF uses incidinary Napalm bombs on Tokyo destroying 1/4 of the city with 80,000+ civilian deaths! When was Naplam 1st used? Is it still used in explosive rounds today?
Comments, anyone?”
See my comments under “Day-to-day, WW2” in he World War II” forum.

Cheers
Brian G
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
3/12/2023 8:59:19 PM
Quote:

Let’s deal with Anne before we deal with the Hanoverians.

Anne was one of two or three children from James II by his two wives, Anne Hyde and Mary of Moderna. Mary (b. 1662) and Anne (b. 1665) were born of Anne Hyde, and were by Charles II’s decision educated and indoctrinated in the Protestant faith, largely because their father, who would become James II in 1685, was a practicing Catholic in a nation with little tolerance for Papism. The third child, James, was born of Mary of Modena under very odd circumstances – so odd that even Anne questioned whether he was a true brother or not. He would appear as “The Old Pretender” and as head of “The ’15”

James II acceded to the throne in 1685, n the death of his brother Charles II. He would abdicate in 1688, in the growing rejection of his Catholicism. He would be replaced on the throne by his daughter Mary, who was married to William of Orange. They would present a paired kingship, and William would enforce Protestant values (the Irish King Billy is William III, Mary’s husband).

When Mary died (without issue) in 1694, William continued as king until his death in 1702. Anne was to take the throne in his stead. She would do so under the Act of Settlement, which had been enacted in 1701 to assure a continued protestant monarchy should Anne die without issue. The concern was a fair issue; by 1700, Anne had faced 17 known pregnancies, including 7 miscarriages, five still-born births, and 5 live births – with not one of her living children living past 1700. She would be the last accepted Stuart to rule England and Scotland, and the only Stuart to rule Great Britain.

A fair question might be: where did the Hanoverians come from? Well, from Charles I’s sister (James i’s daughter), who married Frederick V King of Bohemia and Elector Palatine. A daughter of that marriage, Sophia of Hanover, would marry Ernst Augustus, Elector of Hanover. They in turn would bear George, Elector of Hanover, who would be offered the Crown of Great Britain.

George I, the first Hanoverian, took the throne aged 34. IIUC, he spoke no English and cared little for his new acquisition. He was king for 13 years. His successor, George II, is said to have been German-educated and less than fluent in English. Only with George III did England get a Monarch who considered himself English, rather than just a king of Great Britain.

By the time of George III’s accession in 1760, Parliament had either filled the gap left by absent monarchs, or had usurped sufficient power (as they hd been doing since before Anne was born!) to curtail the power of monarchy.

Were they good monarchs, individually? I don’t know. George III held the monarchy for 60 years, though some of that was under Regency when his health became burdensome. In his early years on the throne – but this is from my study of the intellectuals of London at the time – he played little role in events, though he was still able to use his power after he had been swayed by politicians.

The US continues to see him as a tyrant, it seems to me, but he was anything but to most students of the time. He was a monarch working within Parliamentary controls of the time, taking advice from various parliamentary factions which themselves held very different views. His on-going illness was debilitating, and led to labels like “Mad George”, but for the most part he was removed from decision-making during his attacks

Cheers
Brian G
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/13/2023 7:32:47 AM
Check for topics for 3-13, in history!

For example in 1677 Massachusetts buys Maine for $6,000, now that's a bargin, did it effect British N. America??
Comments anyone??

1865 CSA President Jefferson Davis allows slaves to fight for the Confederacy! To little to late!? BTW what's in it for the slaves?? Kind of seems hippacritical?? what say you??

1868 Senate begins Impeachment Trial of Andrew Johnson! Why was he being impeached for? What do you think of Impeachment as A control of the executive branch??

1884 the US adopts Standard time, btw did you move the time up yesterday? Thanks for your opinions of daylight savings time?? Any more comments on it? anyone??

1881 the Czar Alexander II is assassinated, what's the chances this could happen to Putin?? Anyone??

1888 the great blizzard of 88 happens! Why is North America's, & Europes weather so hostile lately! Canada was burried in snow back then? Anyone??

1925 Tennessee makes it unlawful to teach evolution! Do you think church & state are being to mixed together lately?? What say you??

1940 the Winter War ends who won between USSR & Finland? Anyone??

1943 A failed attempt to kill Hitler, how many times did he dodge the Bullitt?? Unlucky? Comments?

1969 Apollo 9 returns to Earth! What say you about the Apollo program? Successful or not? Anyone?

Lets talk history!?

Regards,
MD

BTW thanks, George for the history lesson on Alexander Graham Bell, he certainly was a Renaissance Man!

& Brian, nice synopsis of the Monarchies of the Hanoverians of England, A topic I knew little about!? Just curious when was freedom of religion finally granted in England? Or was it Great Britain??
NYGiant
home  USA
3/14/2023 8:11:14 AM
This day in American History.....

On March 14, 1776, Alexander Hamilton receives his commission as captain of a New York artillery company. Throughout the rest of 1776, Captain Hamilton established himself as a great military leader as he directed his artillery company in several battles in and around New York City. In March 1777, Hamilton’s performance came to the attention of General George Washington and he was commissioned lieutenant colonel and personal aide to General Washington in the Continental Army.

After serving under Washington for four years, Hamilton resigned in February 1781 after a dispute with the general, but remained in the army. In July 1781, Hamilton took a position as commander of a regiment of New York troops and served with distinction at the Battle of Yorktown in the fall of that year.

After resigning from the army and working at a law practice, Hamilton was elected to the Continental Congress from New York in 1782, where he quickly became known as a proponent of a stronger national government. In the years to come, Hamilton became well-known for his political philosophy and published several papers with James Madison and John Jay that became known as the Federalist Papers.

Hamilton became the first secretary of the treasury in September 1789 after the election of President George Washington and served in that office until resigning in January 1795. Hamilton then returned to the private sector and a law practice in New York City, but remained a close advisor to President Washington.

In 1800, Hamilton became embroiled in a bitter dispute when he threw his support behind President John Adams’ reelection campaign instead of presidential candidate Aaron Burr’s. After his defeat, Burr ran for governor of New York in 1804; Hamilton again opposed his candidacy. Humiliated, Burr challenged Hamilton to a duel on July 11, 1804, in Weehawken, New Jersey. Alexander Hamilton was shot in the duel and died of his wound the following day, July 12, in New York at the age of 49.

​https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...a023eefe0cd3d2
============================================================================================================================================

Wow! Hamilton was at Yorktown, to witness the surrender of the British Army, at the time the greatest Army win the world, to a bunch of American soldiers. The World Turned Upside Down!
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/14/2023 8:13:39 AM
Quote:
Quote:
1945 the USAF uses incidinary (incendiary) Napalm bombs on Tokyo destroying 1/4 of the city with 80,000+ civilian deaths! When was Naplam 1st used? Is it still used in explosive rounds today?

Regards,
MD

In regards to the use of "naplam", I believe it was first used in 1943 somewhere in a Papua New Guinea battle and, the French Foreign Legion (FFL) still exists and continues to fight. For those interested in joining the FFL, you will need to go to France and locate a FFL office or recruiting station and it is then and there you can sign up; good luck!
Dan

Hi Dan,

So it sounds as if the US 1st developed Napalm as A weapon, did they then share it with other Allies, like the RAF??

Also late in the War did the US ever consider using the Atomic Bomb on the Germans? Anyone?

Thanks,
MD
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
3/14/2023 8:28:32 AM
The bombs were intended for Europe if they were completed in time. Didn't happen.
George
3/14/2023 8:57:35 AM
[quote
Dan

Hi Dan,

So it sounds as if the US 1st developed Napalm as A weapon, did they then share it with other Allies, like the RAF??

Also late in the War did the US ever consider using the Atomic Bomb on the Germans? Anyone?

Thanks,
MD

The RAF employed napalm within weeks of the US first dropping it on targets. Flamethrowers had been used in WW1 and WW2 but with different fuels like diesel or thickened gasoline launched under pressure. The Germans used flamethrowers against the allies in WW1. I cannot recall whether the British and Commonwealth had a response.

I believe that the handheld flamethrowers eventually employed napalm in ww2

The British and Commonwealth had already been using "Funnies" like the Crocodile or vehicles like WASPS to send flames shooting at the enemy in WW2. These vehicles employed a fuel that has been describes as "napalm like". It was called "Fuel K". I'm not sure of its components. A Crocodile could launch fuel about 120 m.

With a little research I found that the British had developed a fuel called "FRAS" which is Fuel Research Aluminium Stearate developed by Britain's Department of Scientific and Industrial Research.

Worth noting that British engineering and scientific developments were extensive and much of it was shared with the US. The cavity magnetron tube was perhaps the most important British invention that was given to the US.

Crocodile

Wasp

This a US M1A1 Flamethrower using FRAS. The article that I read said that the US soldiers preferred FRAS to Napalm in the European theatre because the napalm seemed to stick in the fuel tanks resulting in incomplete burn. Not preferred in the Pacific though.

Wonderful how all of this research results in people being burned to hell.

This is a shot of the Canadian Army breaching the Leopold Canal with several WASPS burning the German soldiers out of their defensive positions before sending boats across.

US M4 Sherman equipped with flamethrower on Iwo Jima. Apparently the British fuel FRAS was unstable in that a rubber component in it would degrade and so the Americans preferred napalm against the Japanese.

Lovely topic isn't it?

Cheers,

George

Page 59 of 114 (Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58    59    60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114 )

© 2024 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC