MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

General History
Page 7 of 114 (Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6    7    8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114 )
Muskegon MI USA
This day in World History! Continued
3/13/2022 9:04:37 AM
Quote:
Quote:
[Read More]

[Read More]

[Read More]

3 perpetual sites, check for topics for 3-13, in history!

For example in 1677 Massachusetts buys Maine for $6,000, now that's a bargin, did it effect British N. America??
Comments anyone??

1865 CSA President Jefferson Davis allows slaves to fight for the Confederacy! To little to late!? BTW what's in it for the slaves?? Kind of seems hippacritical?? what say you??

1868 Senate begins Impeachment Trial of Andrew Johnson! Why was he being impeached for? What do you think of Impeachment as A control of the executive branch??

1884 the US adopts Standard time, btw did you move the time up today? What do you think of daylight savings time?? Comments anyone??

1881 the Czar Alexander II is assassinated, what's the chances this could happen to Putin?? Anyone??

1888 the great blizzard of 88 happens! Why is North America's, & Europes weather so hostile lately! Canada was burried in snow back then? Anyone??

1925 Tennessee makes it unlawful to teach evolution! Do you think church & state are being to mixed together lately?? What say you??

1940 the Winter War ends who won between USSR & Finland? Anyone??

1943 A failed attempt to kill Hitler, how many times did he dodge the Bullitt?? Unlucky? Comments?

1969 Apollo 9 returns to Earth! What say you about the Apollo program? Successful or not? Anyone?

Lets talk history!?

Regards,
MD

----------------------------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
3/13/2022 7:18:25 PM
Quote:
1940 the Winter War ends who won between USSR & Finland? Anyone?

Without question, the Soviets. In early fighting the Finns did surprisingly well, punishing the invaders severely. Later, however, with better troops, equipment, supplies and leadership, the Soviets took considerable territory.

Ultimately, the Finns ceded in defeat pretty much what the Soviets had requested through “negotiation” before the war: sufficient Finnish territory to put a plug in the neck of the Gulf of Finland.

Cheers,
Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
George
Centre Hastings ON Canada
3/14/2022 8:57:39 AM
Quote:
For example in 1677 Massachusetts buys Maine for $6,000, now that's a bargin, did it effect British N. America??
Comments anyone??

Well it was 1677 and both Massachusetts Bay Co. and the Maine area were colonies within British North America and the British Empire.

Remember that these tracts of lands, the colonies, existed because the British crown allowed their existence and gave support to the initiatives. Maine was awarded to two men in 1622 by the British Council for New England. Without research I cannot comment on the terms of the land grant but suffice to say that there would have been developmental benchmarks that the men had to meet.

The two men held land that comprised all of Maine and New Hampshire. When one of the men died, the people in the Maine section requested to be made part of Massachusetts Bay and so MB purchased that section in 1677.

Note as well that part of this Maine territory was also claimed by the French Empire and the First Nations and wars over that territory would continue until 1759.

It seems to me that Maine and Massachusetts have always been in competition and Massachusetts felt that it had rights to the territory because of the 1677 purchase of one man's share of the colony. Others may weigh in because my knowledge is limited but I do recall that during the War of 1812, the governor of Maine refused to send militiamen to fight as requested by Massachusetts.

Maine did not support the war and in fact saw part of its territory occupied by the British forces. If the British had pushed for it, I believe that they could have claimed that territory but chose not to do so.

Maine became a state in 1820 and I think that that had something to do with keeping a balance between the number of slave holding states and the number of free states. Please someone weigh in here before I get myself in trouble. And I believe that the desire for statehood for Maine was supported by the state of Massachusetts.

Cheers,

George

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/14/2022 7:57:41 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[Read More]

[Read More]

[Read More]

3 perpetual sites, check for more topics for 3-13, in history!

Comments from George in above post, thanks for the informative response!

1865 CSA President Jefferson Davis allows slaves to fight for the Confederacy! To little to late!? BTW what's in it for the slaves?? Kind of seems hippacritical?? what say you??

1868 Senate begins Impeachment Trial of Andrew Johnson! Why was he being impeached for? What do you think of Impeachment as A control of the executive branch??

1884 the US adopts Standard time, btw did you move the time up today? What do you think of daylight savings time?? Comments anyone??

1881 the Czar Alexander II is assassinated, what's the chances this could happen to Putin?? Anyone??

1888 the great blizzard of 88 happens! Why is North America's, & Europes weather so hostile lately! Canada was burried in snow back then? Anyone??

1925 Tennessee makes it unlawful to teach evolution! Do you think church & state are being to mixed together lately?? What say you??

1940 the Winter War ends who won between USSR & Finland? Good concise answer Brian, also above, thanks Bri.!

1943 A failed attempt to kill Hitler, how many times did he dodge the Bullitt?? Unlucky? Comments?

1969 Apollo 9 returns to Earth! What say you about the Apollo program? Successful or not? Anyone?

Several other good topics above, anyone care to respond??

Thanks, & Regards,
MD

Today 3-15 in history, check these out!?

44bc Brutis has Caesars back! Not good for Ceasar! Comments on why this happened? Anyone??

1493 Columbus returns from the New World! What did he find? & What did he do, & it's effects? What say you??

1778 Capt. James Cook is on Vancouver Island, did he claim it for Britain? Comments?

1783 George Washington save the New Republic from a Coup! Why a Coup? & What did he do??

1827 the Univ. of Toronto is chartered! How big of a college is this?? Anyone?

1906 Rolls Royce is formed! I heard they did aircraft engines for the RAF! Which planes? Comments, anyone??

1951 UN forces retake Seoul, Korea! Whay counties fought through the UN against N. Korea, & China?? Comments on Korean War??

1961 S. Africa withdraws from the British Commonwealth! Why?? comments anyone?

New events?
Comments on anything??
MD

"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/15/2022 11:13:55 AM
D,
George
3/15/2022 3:42:00 PM
Quote:
1827 the Univ. of Toronto is chartered! How big of a college is this?? Anyone?

Just before I get into it, there is the matter of terminology. In Canada, universities are degree granting institutions. Colleges grant diplomas and were set up to train people for the job market primarily. They are often technical institutions but also provide special interest courses to the community without an associated diploma. In class learning for trades is provided by our community colleges.

So the terms university and college are not used interchangeably in Canada.

Having said that, the University of Toronto is a large and complex institution with over 80 departments. The primary campus is the St. George Campus in downtown Toronto. There are over 96,000 students enrolled and 74,000 of those are undergraduates with the rest taking graduate courses. U of T is publicly funded as are most universities in Canada.

There are two satellite campuses associated with U of T. One is Scarborough College in the eastern part of the city and the other is Erindale College to the west but outside the city limits. All are Univ. of Toronto degree granting institutions.

It is an important research and teaching hospital. It has an outstanding medical school which is fully affiliated with the University Health Network which is made up of research hospitals along "hospital row" near the university. There are ten fully accredited medical teaching hospitals in the Toronto area which are affiliated with U of T. It's main library is one of the best in the world, so we are told.

In 1827, there were a number of colleges in Toronto that were affiliated with different religions. King's College (University of King's College at York), happened to be affiliated with the Church of England. So King's College received its charter in 1827 but by 1850 there was an amalgamation of a number of these other colleges. Eventually, other colleges joined the club.

These different colleges have their main buildings scattered around the U of T campus. When a student enrols at U of T, he becomes a part of one of the colleges. These colleges are supposed to be friendly and supportive administrative units and each college has a unique history before it affiliated with the University of Toronto. Most had a religious affiliation in the past but the university has been secular since 1850. There are 7 of these colleges now with a couple being added in the 60's to accommodate the baby boomers.

There are over 622,000 alumni spread all over the world. 26,000 Americans are grads of U of T. I am proud to say that I am an alumnus, though unlikely to be listed as one of the most notable.

This is University College at the U. of T's, St. George Campus

And this is Hart House which contains an ancient gym and even more ancient swimming pool and beautiful rooms for concerts and for sitting down with a book. But if you go through the main doors that you see in the picture and head downstairs to the basement, you will find the Black Hart Pub (well, it was there in 1969). I have many fond memories of this campus and this pub is one of them. Why this memory came to me first, I cannot say.

Cheers,

George
George
3/15/2022 4:16:07 PM
Quote:
1961 S. Africa withdraws from the British Commonwealth! Why?? comments anyone?

This is one of the proudest moments for the Commonwealth of Nations as it declared its opposition to the discriminatory apartheid policies of South Africa. Member states of the Commonwealth had gathered in 1960 to discuss the removal of South Africa from the Commonwealth because of its adherence to racist policies that ran counter to everything that the Commonwealth was supposed to stand for.

In 1961, another Commonwealth Conference was held in London and PM Verwoerd of South Africa attended. South Africa had recently held a referendum in which it was determined that South Africa would become a republic. The only people allowed to vote were white people.

Most of the old guard of the Commonwealth wanted to find a way to keep South Africa in the club. By old guard, I mean the white countries. Commonwealth countries comprised of mostly black people wanted them out.

The only leader of the white Dominions to rail against South Africa and its policy of apartheid was PM John Diefenbaker of Canada, and he said that South Africa should only be readmitted to the Commonwealth of Nations if it renounced and condemned apartheid.

This is often described as one of Canada's proudest moments and I suppose that it was.

However, there are historians who will say that Dief saw that the Commonwealth was about to break up over the issue of apartheid and that he was more concerned with maintaining the institution than with apartheid itself. Better to dump South Africa rather than see the Commonwealth disintegrate.

PM Verwoerd could read the writing on the wall. Most of the countries in the Commonwealth wanted him out and he chose to withdraw his application to join the Commonwealth as a republic rather than a constitutional monarchy.

He withdrew before he could be kicked out. If memory serves, it wasn't until the mid-70's that the UN General Assembly sanctioned South Africa.

Cheers,

George
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
3/15/2022 8:02:22 PM
MD, you say:Quote:
1906 Rolls Royce is formed! I heard they did aircraft engines for the RAF! Which planes? Comments, anyone?

Oh yes … they “did” engines for the RAF. Some were less than perfect, some were revolutionary, but one proved both reliable and adaptable. It was called the Merlin, and it came in a variety of flavours.

RAF aircraft using the Merlin include Battles, Spitfires, Hurricanes, Whitleys, some Manchesters (I believe), Lancasters and Mosquitoes. But let’s not forget the US P-51, which until it was coupled with the Merlin was a less than stellar performer. I think it’s safe to say that most P-51s actually had Packard Merlins; Packard built the engines to R-R specs.

Now for a word from the ignorant pedant in me. I think in truth the Merlin was a Rolls product. I believe Rolls was an engineering outfit and rolls an automotive design outfit when they merged in 1906. But the work on aero engines did not need exterior design skills, but only engineering excellence, capability and adaptability. I assume the bean-counters sorted out the finances!

Cheers
Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/16/2022 9:10:32 AM
Quote:
Quote:
[Read More]

[Read More]

[Read More]

3 perpetual sites, check for topics for 3-16 in history!? For example,

1322 the battle of Boroughbridge, an early battle towards Scottish Independence! Anyone with details on it? Was Brave heart involved??

1621 A native American Chief Visits Plymouth Mass. Colony! He at this time didn't realize the Pale faces had nothing good for him! What say you??

1834 Charles Darwin lands on Britain's recently acquired Falkland Islands! How did the UK get these Islands? What was Darwin doing there?? Comments, anyone?

1861 Mr. Edward Clark is appointed governor of Texas, replacing Sam Houston, who wouldn't support the Confederacy! So Texans lost support for him? But,Sam was right on but most Texans didn't believe him!? They paid a steep price! What say you??

1882 the senate ratifies the Red Cross at the 1st Geneva Convention! Does Canada & other western counties use the Red Cross?? & how effective was the Geneva Convention? Anyone?

1915 2 RN battlecruisers, Inflexable, & Irristable, hit mines in the Dardinelles! What happens? Anyone have the story on this? Does it effect. WWI in this area??

1916 US & Canada have a Migratory Bird Treaty! What does this encompass for our feathered friends?? What say you?

1921 Britain signs trade treaty with Russia despite US protests! What's up with that??

1922 Egypt becomes independent from the British Empire! How did this go down? Comments?

1935 Hitler orders a re-armmament of Germany over the Geneva Convention! Did anyone do anything about this?? Why not? Anyone??

1940 Luftwaffe attack on RN Fleet at Scapa-Flow, hoe successful was it?? Anyone?

1945 Weisberg Germany is 90% destroyed by RN Bombers, with 5,000 dead in only 20 minutes! Why was this mission so effective? Anyone??

1955 Eisenhower upholds US use of Atomic Weapons! Is it a real possibility of use today with Russia in the Ukraine?? What say you??

Lots to discuss here!?
Any new topics??
Regards,
MD

George
3/16/2022 11:53:13 AM
Quote:
1955 Eisenhower upholds US use of Atomic Weapons! Is it a real possibility of use today with Russia in the Ukraine?? What say you??

We had better hope the hell not. Russia has a large nuclear arsenal, the largest in the world we are told, and somewhere just under 6,000. I believe about 1/2 are tactical nuclear weapons with the rest, strategic. When I read descriptions of these tactical weapons it sounds so benign, as if the use would just be a tidy little surgical procedure.

The US has a large nuclear arsenal.

The Federation of American Scientists has reported that 9 countries possess 12,700 nuclear warheads as of 2022 with the US and Russia having 90% of those.

[Read More]

Ironically I think, is that the existence of these nuclear weapons held by Russia that is preventing the west from responding to Russia's illegal invasion. Mutually assured destruction is supposed to prevent the launch of strategic nuclear weapons but it the fear of that is holding the west back.

Only an insane person could possibly think that an all out nuclear exchange is survivable in any manner that is acceptable.

Is Putin insane enough to release the dogs if NATO decided to intervene on Ukraine's behalf? Would he initially engage NATO forces in a conventional manner until it appeared that all was lost and then send the missiles?

Khrushchev, the shoe banger, also was a sane man and he sought some sort of a face saving way to get out of the Cuban Missile crisis when he realized that the world was on the edge of annihilation. I am not sure that Putin is cut from the same cloth.

I was listening to some former military man on one of the US stations who commented that Zelensky had said that negotiations with Russia had led to some agreements and cause for hope. He suggested that Putin was guilty of poor judgement and was seeking a face saving exit.

What would face saving entail that didn't involve Ukraine ceding more territory and acknowledging that Crimea is part of Russia?

Cheers,

George

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/17/2022 9:30:57 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[Read More]

[Read More]

[Read More]

3 perpetual sites, check for topics for 3-16 in history!? For example,

1322 the battle of Boroughbridge, an early battle towards Scottish Independence! Anyone with details on it? Was Brave heart involved??

1621 A native American Chief Visits Plymouth Mass. Colony! He at this time didn't realize the Pale faces had nothing good for him! What say you??

1834 Charles Darwin lands on Britain's recently acquired Falkland Islands! How did the UK get these Islands? What was Darwin doing there?? Comments, anyone?

1861 Mr. Edward Clark is appointed governor of Texas, replacing Sam Houston, who wouldn't support the Confederacy! So Texans lost support for him? But,Sam was right on but most Texans didn't believe him!? They paid a steep price! What say you??

1882 the senate ratifies the Red Cross at the 1st Geneva Convention! Does Canada & other western counties use the Red Cross?? & how effective was the Geneva Convention? Anyone?

1915 2 RN battlecruisers, Inflexable, & Irristable, hit mines in the Dardinelles! What happens? Anyone have the story on this? Does it effect. WWI in this area??

1916 US & Canada have a Migratory Bird Treaty! What does this encompass for our feathered friends?? What say you?

1921 Britain signs trade treaty with Russia despite US protests! What's up with that??

1922 Egypt becomes independent from the British Empire! How did this go down? Comments?

1935 Hitler orders a re-armmament of Germany over the Geneva Convention! Did anyone do anything about this?? Why not? Anyone??

1940 Luftwaffe attack on RN Fleet at Scapa-Flow, hoe successful was it?? Anyone?

1945 Weisberg Germany is 90% destroyed by RN Bombers, with 5,000 dead in only 20 minutes! Why was this mission so effective? Anyone??

Lots to discuss here!?
Any new topics??
Regards,
MD

Hi George,

Let's hope that it doesn't come to the use of Atomic Weapons! Only a madman would use them? Wow, "madman", lets see, oh AKA Putin!?? BTW doesn't the US have a " Star wars defense missile defense system, to knock enemy load carrying rockets out, before they land??
Comments anyone, on this??

1961, yes it was Apartheid, that led to South Africa leaving the Commonwealth? Are they still independent??

So your a U of Toronto guy! What sports do they sponsor? Hockey, Football, Basketball, Baseball?? Just curious do you have sports conferences in Canada??

& Brian,

Thanks for the list of RAF Aircraft that had the advantage of Merlin RR engines! I guess the Germans, & Japanese had their great auto companies build their engines!? Anything on this? Anyone??

Still more topics from above list to discuss? Or new ones from the read mores!? Anyone, comments??

BTW Happy St. Patrick's Day, to one & all!
Stay safe all!
D
George
3/17/2022 11:09:42 AM
Quote:
So your a U of Toronto guy! What sports do they sponsor? Hockey, Football, Basketball, Baseball?? Just curious do you have sports conferences in Canada??

I wouldn't try to apply a US frame of reference to sport in Canada as it relates to our universities. Yes our universities have sports teams. There is a national governing body for university sport called "U SPORT" which oversees regional conferences.

But we do not use our university sports teams to train professional athletes. As most Canadian universities are publicly funded you will find that there is far less money in the system that is dedicated to university sport. I think that this stems from the view in the founding days of universities that sport is for recreation as extracurricular activities are. Extracurricular activities are an important part of the university experience, of course, but students enter university primarily to get a university education.

There is a debate in this country over whether athletic scholarships should even exist. Some say that we lose too many of our top athletes to US schools that can offer a full ride scholarship. Some say that they do not want their tax money used to pay for a kid to play volleyball. As an aside, I do not understand why a US school would want to support a foreign athlete when there are American kids who may want or need an athletic scholarship.

Let me tell you a story. I once had a kid on my high school track team who was an outstanding sprinter. He did most of his training with a club team and with a coach who specialized in sprints. He was good enough to get a scholarship somewhere in the US. He came home at Christmas during his third year and dropped by to say hello.

He told me that he was disillusioned as he had been struggling in one course and had told his track coach that he needed to miss practices for two or three weeks to catch up on his studies. He was surprised to find that the scholarship money stopped when he did that. His coach told him that when he decided to come back to training his money would reappear. I would like to think that in Canada, an accommodation would have been made. Now that is only one story though I have heard of other Canadians who have returned home to finish their education as they found the commitment to training in the US conflicted with academic aspirations.

BTW, that kid ran for BYU. I believe that the 4 X 100 relay team ran a 39.4 in 1989 so he was no slouch.

I also have read about Canadian athletes who had a fabulous experience at NCAA schools. For some, it is the way to go. They complete their degree at no cost.

For me that story of the kid who went to BYU illustrated a major difference in focus between Canadian and US universities. And we do have scholarships here but they are called Athletic Financial Awards. These awards are capped and may only offset the cost of tuition and other fees.

There are academic scholarships available and there is no reason why a student athlete cannot be eligible for those. But academic scholarships may not be tied in any way to athletic performance. The student athlete, like all other students, must merit this academic scholarship.

At the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo, 147 members of the Canadian team were also "U Sport" athletes. That is about 29% of the 370 members of Team Canada. I won't compare the NCAA model to the U Sport model but there are outstanding coaches who work at Canadian universities and who run high performance programmes. But there is no fair comparison to the funding model at US universities.

Different strokes and I must admit that many of our top athletes are drawn to US universities because of the money that is available in the system. For athletes in certain summer sports, an athletic scholarship to a place where outdoor training is possible year round is appealing. And many do compete for Canada internationally.

Cheers,

George

George
3/17/2022 11:43:29 AM
Quote:
1961, yes it was Apartheid, that led to South Africa leaving the Commonwealth? Are they still independent??

Not sure what you mean by "independent", MD. Most of the nations in the Commonwealth are sovereign and independent.

There are 54 countries in the Commonwealth of Nations. Member states have no obligation to one another. They share a language and supposedly, a value system.

Only 15 of the member states list Queen Elizabeth as their head of state.

34 are republics and 5 have a different monarch.

As for South Africa, after talks and agreements to reform, the country was invited to rejoin the Commonwealth in 1993. And in 1994, they did so. Mandela had been freed and the election held in South Africa that year was open to people of all races. Apartheid was officially dead and so South Africa could again meet the standards for inclusion in the Commonwealth.

I hope that there are no lingering misconceptions of what the Commonwealth is or is not. All member states are there voluntarily. They are all equal in status and a few, like Rwanda, have no political or constitutional connection to Great Britain.

While the Commonwealth has its roots in the British Empire, it is now an association of independent states that any nation may join, if it meets the standards. The US could join the Commonwealth if it wished.

The Commonwealth Charter sets out our beliefs and goals which include a commitment to free and democratic societies.

The Commonwealth Charter:

[Read More]

Cheers,

George

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/19/2022 11:42:04 AM
Quote:
[Read More]

[Read More]

[Read More]

3 perpetual sites, check for 3-19, topics.? For example,

1687 French Canadian Explorer Robert de La Salle, is murdered by his own men while exploring the Mississippi! Why??. Anyone??

1863, CSA Cruiser Georgiana, is sunk on her maiden voyage with A cargo of over a $ million dollars in munitions & meds.! What happened to her?? Comments?

1865 the Rebs lose the battle of Bentonville NC. The end is near for the South?? Anyone?

1885 Louis Riel returns to Canada to set up a provisional government! Does he have the right?? Anyone?

1920 US Senate rejects the League of Nations! Did this hurt the League?? Why?

1931 Nevada legalized gambling! Is it legal in Canada?? Anyone?

1932 the Sydney Harbor Bridge is opened! Why were the Queries mad at the British?? Anyone?

1943 the Commonwealthers are in N. Africa! What factors led to them beating Rommel?? Comments?

1945 800 killed on USS Franklin form Kamikaze planes! How many Commonwealthers lost their lives to IJN suicide planes?? Any figures?? Anyone?

1969 the Brits invade Anguilla, what ever for! Anyone??

1982 the Argentines invade the Falklands! Starting the Falkland Islands War! Anyone have a good video or website on it?? Who was in the right here? What are the Maldives? Anyone??

Lots to discuss here!
Regards,
MD

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/19/2022 2:34:36 PM
BTW George,

Thanks for the lesson on the parameters of the British Commonwealth!

Also the University Sports programs, go U of T!

Do many play for the CFL or NHL?

MD
George
3/19/2022 2:40:40 PM
Quote:
1931 Nevada legalized gambling! Is it legal in Canada?? Anyone?

I suppose that "yes" is the correct answer if we are talking about Canada. But each province regulates the gambling industry.

Other than horse racing and lotteries, there are casinos and betting on sports and slots with machines found at race tracks and a few other locations. Sports betting can be done in any convenience store.

There are some restrictions to "on-line gambling" and there are criminal code violations dealing with betting. Example, an individual cannot maintain a "common gaming house".

Gambling wasn't legalized in Canada until 1985. Prior to that all gambling was illegal except in Québec which did have games of chance to bet on, in the '70's. Québec has always been the fun province.

How about other countries? I always thought that the rest of the western world had embraced gambling while conservative Canada shook its head with disdain.

I do have concerns though for the number of people who are problem gamblers. We could just say not my problem, but too often these people with a problem also impoverish their families including their kids.

Me? Other than the odd lottery, I don't gamble. The 14 million to one odds are very attractive.

Cheers,

George
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
3/19/2022 9:59:56 PM
George, good answer. I think you’ve got it largely correct. But I want to raise a “gambling issue” I remember as a child, but you may not have been old enough to experience. That was the Irish Sweepstake. I believe they found a way around the “no gambling” rules. I think what they did was turn it into a lottery, so you would buy a chance at a ticket. You had no control over the horse or time your ticket represented, so you weren’t betting.

My parents, who were far from frivolous with money ( my Mum, God bless her, was a strict sectist who belived gambling was a sin as bad as smoking), always bought a chance. I don’t think they ever won a ticket, but IIRC they claimed to know someone who won in the neighbourhood of $2,500. That was almost enough to buy a small house.

Does anyone remember the Irish Sweepstakes?

Cheers,
Brian G
George
3/20/2022 10:21:29 AM
Brian, I do remember the Irish Sweepstakes because my Dad had purchased tickets and my Mom was very concerned about this illegal gambling especially since my Dad was a copper.

Cheers,

George

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/20/2022 2:43:44 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[Read More]

[Read More]

[Read More]

3 perpetual sites, check for 3-20, welcome to Spring! Check for topics.? For example on the 19th,

1687 French Canadian Explorer Robert de La Salle, is murdered by his own men while exploring the Mississippi! Why??. Anyone??

1863, CSA Cruiser Georgiana, is sunk on her maiden voyage with A cargo of over a $ million dollars in munitions & meds.! What happened to her?? Comments?

1865 the Rebs lose the battle of Bentonville NC. The end is near for the South?? Anyone?

1885 Louis Riel returns to Canada to set up a provisional government! Does he have the right?? Anyone?

1920 US Senate rejects the League of Nations! Did this hurt the League?? Why?

1931 Nevada legalized gambling! Is it legal in Canada?? Thanks George, & Brian for update on gambling in Canada!?

1932 the Sydney Harbor Bridge is opened! Why were the Queries mad at the British?? Anyone?

1943 the Commonwealthers are in N. Africa! What factors led to them beating Rommel?? Comments?

1945 800 killed on USS Franklin form Kamikaze planes! How many Commonwealthers lost their lives to IJN suicide planes?? Any figures?? Anyone?

1969 the Brits invade Anguilla, what ever for! Anyone??

1982 the Argentines invade the Falklands! Starting the Falkland Islands War! Anyone have a good video or website on it?? Who was in the right here? What are the Maldives? Anyone??

Still, Lots to discuss here!
Regards,
MD

On 3-20 in history, check this out!?

1616 Sir Walter Raleigh is released from the tower of London! Why would a Explorer be put in jail?? Anyone??

1815 Napoleon enters Paris after his escape from Elba! What's up with his 100 day rule? Anyone?

1852 Uncle Toms Cabin is published, what was it's theme? What say you? & it's effect??

1942 major German attacks on Malta! How did a undermaned Commonwealth hold them off!?

2003 the US invades Iraq was this justified??

What say you??
D

George
3/20/2022 5:27:51 PM
Quote:
1942 major German attacks on Malta! How did a undermaned Commonwealth hold them off!?

Possession of Malta was important as it could serve as a jumping off point for allied attacks in the Med and on the north and south shores of the sea. A strong position in Malta could allow the owner to stage attacks on shipping. The British had it and the Italians and the Germans were determined to seize it.

The Luftwaffe arrived in the area in 1940. The Italian navy had taken some blows and Germany did not wish to see the Med fall to the allies. But with the attack on the USSR, the Luftwaffe was called away and the British began to dominate. But the Luftwaffe returned and were limiting British operations in 1941.

Note that the Italian and German AF's were flying out of Sicily I believe which is only 100 km north of Malta.

Malta survived because of the incredible bravery of RAF pilots and the intrepid operations of the RN which managed to resupply the island with food and with airplanes. The provision of Spitfires whose pilots flew in from aircraft carrier HMS Eagle was important. This was March of 1942. The Spits augmented the squadrons of Hurricanes fighting from Malta.

EDIT: must not forget the Gloster Gladiator biplanes that defended Malta before better aircraft could be deployed.

Some of those pilots flew from a carrier in a Spit with no armament but with a slipper fuel tank. The armament was stripped to lighten the load so that the Spitfires could make it to Malta.

I would have to check but I believe that some RAF Spits flew from the deck of USS Wasp as well as HMS Eagle. EDIT: 48 Spits flew from Wasp. Sadly all were destroyed on the ground upon landing. Lesson learned and the next 47 Spits that flew from USS Wasp were immediately refuelled and sent aloft.

If I may, while there were no RCAF squadrons based in Malta, there were 285 Canadian pilots who died fighting there. Their names appear on the Malta Memorial. Many were already aces from earlier combat and apparently the number of Canadians serving in Malta rose to 25%. And of course there were representatives from other Commonwealth countries helping the British pilots who provided the greatest number of the defenders of Malta.

One of the finest allied pilots of the war was George "Buzz" Beurling DSO, DFC, DFM & Bar, who tallied 30 planes shot down in the summer and autumn of 1942.

Just a note about the brave men and women and children of Malta who suffered the siege and the bombs for months. In April of 1942, King George VI awarded the George Cross to the people of Malta to acknowledge their bravery. Malta was known as the most heavily bombed place on earth.

This is the Malta Memorial which sits in Malta on a site provided by the Maltese government. There are 2,297 names on the Memorial from all parts of the British Commonwealth and these are men who lost there lives in service on Malta but, I believe, also in other parts of the Mediterranean. If someone could confirm that, I would appreciate it.

There were also 4 American volunteers in the RAF who died at Malta. They were flying Hurricanes, I believe.

Cheers,

George
George
3/20/2022 9:31:08 PM
Quote:
BTW George,

Thanks for the lesson on the parameters of the British Commonwealth!

Also the University Sports programs, go U of T!

Do many play for the CFL or NHL?

MD

U Sport athletes do play in the CFL but the primary source of Canadian hockey players who play in the NHL is the Canadian Hockey League which is the governing body for the three major junior hockey leagues.

Many of the best professional hockey players learned their craft in the CHL.

There are lists compiled of the top 100 NHL players of all time and most came out of the CHL or the old Ontario Hockey Association.
While up for debate, many of the players on this list also appear on other compilations.

[Read More]

George
Lightning
Glasgow  UK
3/22/2022 7:39:45 AM
On this day in 235 A.D, the Roman Emperor Severus Alexander was murdered, beginning the crisis of the third century which saw the Empire fall into the beginning of terminal decline as a succession of emperors and usupers fought endless civil wars, external invasions, inflation and famine. The fractured elements of the Empire were welded back together by Aurelian, which ensured it would last into the 5th century in the west and into the 15th century in the east.

On this day in 1622, the Powhatan Confederacy attacked the English colonists around Jamestown. In a co-ordinated attack, they wiped out about a third of the colonists (no quarter was shown to men, women or children), with the rest only saved from death by being warned by a friendly Native American, allowing time for the defences to be manned. This attack sparked the Second Anglo-Powhatan War, which ended with the English achieving supremacy over the local tribes hostile to their presence.

I'll leave the 1765 Stamp Act (passed by the British Parliament to levy taxes on American colonists to recover costs incurred fighting France) to my more learned colleagues on the forum!

Cheers,

Colin
"There is no course open to us but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight to the end."
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/22/2022 11:33:11 AM
Quote:
[Read More]

[Read More]

[Read More]

3 perpetual sites, check for 3-22 in history topics.? For example check these out, & comment!?

1349 Germans massacre Jews blaming them for the Black Death! Geeze the hatred of the Jewish people knows no bounds! Why?? Anyone??

1622 1st Indian massacre of Colonists in Jamestown, what brought that on?? Comments?

1784 the Emerald Buddha is moved in Thailand! Congrats to him?, her?, it????

1794. Congress bans US ships from moving slaves to other countries!? How prevalent was the slave trade at this time?? Anyone? BTW Did Canada ever have slaves?? What say you??

1903 Niagara Falls runs out of water, because of drought! Any pics or stories on this?? Anyone??

1929 US Coastguard ship sinks Canadian Schooner suspected of carrying liquor! Anyone know the story on this??

1944 Allies Bomb Berlin! Anyone have the story of the success this mission??

1982 the 3rd shuttle mission is going on! BTW was Canada involved in Space exploration, or other Commonwealthers!?? What say you??

2006, BC Ferry runs aground on Gill Island & sinks! Anyone have the story on this calamity???

What say you on these & other new topics! Anyone??
cheers,
MD

BTW thanks Colin, & George for the great history of yesterday, keep em coming, all MHO!?.

George
3/22/2022 5:00:18 PM
Quote:
1982 the 3rd shuttle mission is going on! BTW was Canada involved in Space exploration, or other Commonwealthers!?? What say you??

Canadarm

Sapphire military satellite

Canada has been a significant contributor to the development of the International Space Station and the Canadian Space Agency also has a deal to co-operate with the European Space Agency.

Co-operation and investment in NASA provides Canada with the opportunity to conduct scientific experiments in space. And for that we are also permitted to send astronauts into space. I believe that the next time that there is a flight to the moon, in 2024, Canada will have an astronaut on board the Artemis II.

Many countries are involved in scientific research that relates to space and space travel.

Perhaps not too well known except in Canada is that fact that when the programme to develop a supersonic fighter (The Arrow) was cancelled, one of the largest brain drains of Canadian talent took place to NASA's benefit. British and Canadian engineers were suddenly looking for work and NASA was hiring in 1959. There were 32 of these top engineers who accepted the offer.

Jim Chamberlin was one of those Canadian engineers who went to the states. He was head of engineering for Project Mercury, project manager for the Gemini spacecraft.

Owen Maynard from Sarnia, Ontario was Chief of Engineering systems for the Apollo programme and heavily involved in the design of the Lunar Landing Module.

I think that we can lay claim to being the 3rd country to place a satellite in space after Russia and the US and Great Britain with Alouette-1.

Designing and making satellites to undertake all sorts of tasks including communications and weather monitoring is something we do well. And now we have military surveillance satellites in the Sapphire system.

What we lack is a rocket programme. We used to have a significant programme but gave up on it so we require the services of other countries to get our space stuff and astronauts up there.

Cheers,

George

George
3/22/2022 9:30:06 PM
Quote:
1929 US Coastguard ship sinks Canadian Schooner suspected of carrying liquor! Anyone know the story on this??

That Canadian vessel was the "I'm Alone". Many Canadian vessels were running liquor to the east coast of the states during prohibition. "I'm Alone" was one of the them.

This vessel changed its base of operations to Belize and was heading to Bermuda with a load of liquor. The USCG spotted her off the coast of Louisiana and fired a warning shot but the skipper made a run for it. The USCG vessel shot through her sails and caught the "I'm Alone" and ordered her to stop and prepare to be boarded.

The skipper tried to make a run for it. The USCG vessel called for assistance and two other USCG vessels were despatched.

Apparently the skipper of "I'm Alone" refused to heave to and was waving a pistol. Captain Jack Randall was a Newfoundlander and a war hero having served during the Boer War and WW1 where he was awarded the DSC, Croix de Guerre with two palmes. And during US prohibition, he began to run booze into the US from the French islands of St. Pierre et Miquelon or from Belize, British Honduras.

Anyway the coast guard sunk his ship with MG fire and a shell or two. One sailor died.

This all occurred 200 miles off the American coast. It was an international incident and while held in irons on the USCG vessel, Capt. Randall realized that the two coast guard vessels were sending signals to one another. They were concerned about how to explain the sinking of a foreign vessel in international waters.

The captain and crew were taken to New Orleans and the result of the hearing there was that they were released and the USCG was determined to have made an unlawful arrest. The US government awarded the owners of "I'm Alone", $25,000 for the loss of the vessel. Another $25K was awarded to the crew.

The coast guard overstepped their authority in this case.

Cheers,

George
GaryNJ
Cumberland NJ USA
3/22/2022 11:32:55 PM
Quote:

The I'm Alone was built in Britain, registered in Canada, crewed by Canadians, and at the time of its sinking off the Louisiana coast was owned by some Americans. The sinking was clearly illegal and there was an excessive use of force. The U.S. agreed to apologize to the Canadian government and pay them $25,000. The widow of the dead sailor got $10,000, the captain of the I'm Alone got $8,000, and the rest of the crew each got $1,000. There was no payment for the ship or cargo. The Canadian government originally demanded $268, 386.68.

Here is a Canadian video on it.
[Read More]

Also an in-depth article on it.
[Read More]

Gary
George
3/23/2022 8:03:00 AM
Thanks Gary,

The Canadian government did not approve of the smuggling of liquor by its citizens. I just wanted to make that clear. After all, the crew of I'm Alone had been in violation of US law in the past and at the time that they were ordered to heave to, they had every intention of doing it again.

The objection of course was that the US was trying to enforce its laws on the high seas and it seems that the US authorities agreed that the USCG vessels had acted improperly.

Cheers,

George
scoucer
Berlin  Germany
3/23/2022 5:38:10 PM
23.03.1862- 160 years ago was the First Battle of Kernstown considered to be the start of Jackson´s Valley Campaign. A Campaign still studied today in Military Studies.

See Eastern Theatre Forum

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
3/23/2022 8:15:04 PM
From yesterday’s post: Quote:
1944 Allies Bomb Berlin! Anyone have the story of the success this mission??

Hard one to comment on: as far as I know there was no raid on Berlin that night. More precisely, there were no USAAF raids on Berlin on 22 March I have been able to find, and on the night of 22/23 March RAF Bomber Command sent 816 a/c (620 Lancasters, 184 Halifaxes, 12 Mosquitoes) against Frankfurt, for the loss of 33 a/c (26 Lancasters; 7 Halifaxes), 4% of the force. This raid – the second of three – was successful.wotj 948 killed, 346 seriously injured and 120,000 dehoused. Industrial damage was significant.

A further 240 RAF BC a/c were sent on other ops this night, including 22 Mosquitoes sent on diversion and harassing raids to four other German cities, including Berlin. But this was clearly diversionary, rather than punitive.
Total RAF BC engaged: 1,056. Worth noting: even as late as the that total includes 20 Wellingtons from O.T.U., dropping leaflets. Total losses for the night: 34 a/c (3.2%).

There was, however, a raid on Berlin two nights later, on 24/25 March 1944. Again, I cannot offer comments about USAAC involvement, but IIUC US bombers had a main target of Schweinfurt for that day. 162 B-17s, however, attacked their secondary target, which was Frankfurt. I infer that the 24/25 March raid on Berlin was largely a RAF affair.

It was a costly, ineffective assault. 811 a/c comprised the Main Force. Of those, 72 a/c (8.9%) were lost – a dangerously high number. Add to that the fact that the main bomber stream was blown wildly off-track by unpredictably high winds and that target markers were further blown astray. Impact on industry was minimal, civilian deaths were about 150, and only some 20,000 were dehoused. The raid was deemed a failure.

It was also the last RAF BC Main Force attack on Berlin. Think of what that implies for a moment. Fourteen months before the end of the war RAF BC sends its last major op against their enemy’s capital city.

Cheers,
Brian G
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/24/2022 12:33:01 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[Read More] check for 3-24 in history! Any new topics??

[Read More]

[Read More]

3 perpetual sites, check for 3-22 in history topics.? These above topics were not commented on? Anyone??

1349 Germans massacre Jews blaming them for the Black Death! Geeze the hatred of the Jewish people knows no bounds! Why?? Anyone??

1622 1st Indian massacre of Colonists in Jamestown, what brought that on?? Comments?

1784 the Emerald Buddha is moved in Thailand! Congrats to him?, her?, it????

1794. Congress bans US ships from moving slaves to other countries!? How prevalent was the slave trade at this time?? Anyone? BTW Did Canada ever have slaves?? What say you??

1903 Niagara Falls runs out of water, because of drought! Any pics or stories on this?? Anyone?

What say you on these & other new topics! Anyone??
cheers,
MD

From 3-24 in history! The following happened!?

1765 British Parliament passes Quartering Act making Colonists house British Military! How did this piss the Colonists off!? What say you??

1837 Canada gives it's Black citizens the right to vote! Why were the so ahead of the US on this?? Comments??

1853 Canada allows a anti slavery newspaper in Windsor! Any info on this? Again Canada is sypathetic to Blacks & slaves! Why so??

1906 census shows The British Empire includes1/5th of the worlds population! Wow, any comments on how this was accomplished!? & was this at it's height??

1941 German troops move into Lybia, how was breaking the German code going to lose the Nazis N. Africa?? Comments, anyone??

1942 the US move Japanese American citizens into camps? Sad what happened after Pearl!?? Comments?

As Brian stated, on 3-24-1844 the RAF sends 811 bombers at Berlin?! What's the actual story?? Comments anyone? Also a RAF gunner on this day, falls 18,000 feet without a parachute, & is hardly injured!? How in the hell???

1945, Canadian Paratroopers involved in Operation Varsity over the Rhine! How did this work out for the Allies?? What say you??

1971 Great Britain injects direct rule over Ireland! How did this go over? Anyone??

Some new topics! Comments, anyone??
MD

BTW thanks for everyone's recent comments! Certainly appreciated!!!

George
3/24/2022 1:46:05 PM
Quote:
1837 Canada gives it's Black citizens the right to vote! Why were the so ahead of the US on this?? Comments??

1853 Canada allows a anti slavery newspaper in Windsor! Any info on this? Again Canada is sypathetic to Blacks & slaves! Why so??

First, the institution of slavery was alive and well in Canada from its beginnings as New France. The French permitted the ownership of slaves and most of them were from the First Nations. Later black slaves were also purchased but they were much more expensive than FN slaves. So there is that fact, that slavery was common in New France and when the British defeated the French in 1759, the institution was not banned.

We must understand however, that the economy of the British colonies did not depend upon the importation of thousands of slaves. So there simply were not as many black people in bondage in the colonies.

When the 13 colonies rebelled and won there were Loyalists who determined to come to Canada and some brought with them their slaves. The British did take several thousand black people who had served with them during the rebellion. These people had been granted their freedom. This occurred around 1783 and the refugees were taken to Nova Scotia.

The anti-slavery movement was quite strong in Britain and in the English speaking colonies remaining in North America. The governor of my province of Ontario whose name was Simcoe did attempt to abolish slavery in 1793. But he received push-back from some of the elites who controlled the colony and so he came up with a compromise solution. And that was to ban the importation of slaves though people already in bondage would remain so. The children of slaves would have to be manumitted at the age of 25.

And slavery itself was banned in the British Empire in 1833. And so the British colonies became a target for refuge by black slaves in the US. And they did head to Ontario in particular via the Underground Railroad.

I am not going to say that black people were accepted universally. There was racism in the British colonies. But they were allowed to come and they set up several communities in my province and in others. They were accepted as British subjects but still had to fight for all of the rights that that status should entail, including the right to vote. Technically, they had the right to vote as naturalized British subjects but in small towns the people would find ways to restrict their right to vote.

But like all voters, black men (women of all colours were denied the vote in 1833), they had to have land and a certain amount of money. Poor people could not vote.

It wasn't until 1920 that Canada abolished the requirement that all voters had to be land owners.

MD, it is incorrect to say that Canada granted the vote to black people. There was no Canada, only the remaining British colonies in North America. And so when Great Britain abolished slavery in 1833, the black people in the Canadian colonies suddenly became British subjects and received the rights of British subjects. But they still had to argue for those rights and to overcome the individuals and groups who would deny them those rights. On more than one occasion in Upper Canada, black men who turned out to vote were denied entry to the polling station by men who turned out to stop them.

Your post indicated that black people were granted the vote in Canada in 1837. I had assumed that that vote was granted when black people became British subjects. I did find one reference to a vote in the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada (now Québec) that granted black people the right to vote in 1837. In that case, the legislation would be an affirmation of what the abolition of slavery in 1833 had accomplished.

That anti-slavery newspaper published in Windsor in 1853 was called the "Provincial Freeman". It's target audience was the abolitionists. It was published by Mary Ann Shadd who was black and was born in Wilmington, Delaware. She had come to Canada in 1850 right after the passage of the Fugitive Slave law in the US. She was an activist and travelled to the US to encourage black people to fight for their rights. During the civil war, she became a recruiter for the Union army.

There is a plaque dedicated to her memory in Chatham, Ontario which was a destination for many black people who had escaped from the US.

Lastly, there were other anti-slavery newspapers in BNA including the Toronto Globe which had a large circulation.

Another paper published by a black American in Upper Canada was, "Voice of the Fugitive". The publisher, Henry Bibb, an escaped slave, actually started this newspaper in 1851 so two years before Mary Ann Shadd published the "Provincial Freeman". Voice of the Fugitive was also published in Sandwich (now Windsor). Shadd and Bibb were both active in the Underground Railroad.

Shadd and Bibb did not agree on everything. She believed that all schools should be fully integrated. Bibb was a proponent of segregated schools to be operated by black people.

Cheers,

George

Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
3/24/2022 9:21:31 PM
24 March 1603, Queen Elizabeth I dies, aged 69. She had been proclaimed Queen on the death of her half-sister Mary, who died on 17 Nov 1558. Her coronation would occur on 15 Jan 1559.

IMHO, Elizabeth remains one of the most significant monarchs. Yes, Alfred the Great was significant; William I was impactful because of his conquest. But think of the events which occurred during her reign; think of the social, linguistic, religious and creative which arose during her reign! The firm establishment of the Church of England as the official faith; the defeat of an Armada intent on overthrowing her reign and returning the English church to the Church of Rome. The first true development of what would become the Royal Navy; the establishment of a relatively standard English language. The creation of colonies; the encouragement of exploration and challenge to the Spanish and Portuguese lock on new world and Asian “discoveries”. The blossoming of literature; the range of linguistic structures which melded together to create the basis of modern English.

Much of the development of English culture that took place in her 40+ years as monarch would have happened whether she was on the throne at all. But they would have been different. She informed language, drama, literature, behaviour and conduct; in effect, she moved England from the last medieval structural controls, centralizing regional baronial powers under new sets of values.

I could go on. But won’t. England was lucky in the way the Henriad fiasco played itself out; it could have been so much worse.

Cheers.
Brian G
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/25/2022 11:36:13 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[Read More]

[Read More]

3 perpetual sites, check for 3-25 in history topics.? These below topics were not commented on? Anyone?

What say you,
cheers,
MD

From 3-24 in history! The following happened!? Please comment??

1765 British Parliament passes Quartering Act making Colonists house British Military! How did this piss the Colonists off!? What say you?

1906 census shows The British Empire includes1/5th of the worlds population! Wow, any comments on how this was accomplished!? & was this at it's height??

1941 German troops move into Lybia, how was breaking the German code going to lose the Nazis N. Africa?? Comments, anyone??

1942 the US move Japanese American citizens into camps? Sad what happened after Pearl!?? Comments?

On 3-24, a RAF gunner on this day, falls 18,000 feet without a parachute, & is hardly injured!? How in the hell???

1945, Canadian Paratroopers involved in Operation Varsity over the Rhine! How did this work out for the Allies?? What say you??

1971 Great Britain injects direct rule over Ireland! How did this go over? Anyone??

Some new topics, from 3-25! Comments on anything, below, anyone??
MD

3-25 events, for example,

1199 Richard the Lion hearted wounded by a crossbow will die a week.later! How good of an English King was he?? Comments? Anyone??

1807 British Parliament out laws slavery! How effective was it? Comments?

1838 earlier in March, There is a rebellion on Pelee Island in Canadian territory, Lake Erie! What's this all about?? What say you??

1865 CW battles in Virginia, Florida, & Kentucky. Who won them?? Comments on the last year of the CW. Anyone??

1917 Canadian flying ace, Billy Bishop shoots down his first plane! What's the story on this Canuck Hotshot!? Comments, Anyone??

1965 MLK jr. Leads 25,000 to march on Montgomery, Alabama! How was he a great non violent leader for African Americans! What say you on King??

Any new topics MHOers?
D

George
3/25/2022 3:53:15 PM
Quote:
1838 earlier in March, There is a rebellion on Pelee Island in Canadian territory, Lake Erie! What's this all about?? What say you??

This was just one of over a dozen attacks from the US on the colony of Upper Canada during what was called the "Patriot Wars" in the US. The War of 1812 had ended in 1814 but there were still US citizens who would be willing to engage the British again.

Both Upper and Lower Canada had experienced unrest and insurrection in the colonies in the 1837-38 period. And some of the rebels sought support in the US and found a most willing audience. In previous posts I had mentioned the establishment of Hunter's Lodges in several US states including Michigan and Frères Chasseurs in Lower Canada and the US states abutting.

These lodges had the goal to eliminate the British control of that part of North America. Note that the Hunter's Lodges in Michigan, New York and down to Kentucky had had their genesis in the protests taking place in Upper Canada. But the Canadians who had sought the support had lost control of the organizations to US citizens. However, fighters from both sides were present in the Lodges.

Here is the position of Pelee Island in Lake Erie. It was in British territory in 1838 and not too far from Amherstburg which was across the river from Detroit.

So what happened? Well, on Feb. 26, 1838 about 300 armed men left Sandusky, Ohio (from memory now. Please correct if that memory failed), and crossed the ice on Lake Erie. Note that some accounts suggest 400-500 men in the group. They seized the island and did a lot of property damage and killed livestock. They loaded a lot of the plundered goods onto sleighs and took it all back to Sandusky.

On Mar. 3 from the Canadian side, British troops, Canadian militia and some First Nations (total number of men was 126), crossed the ice and engaged the invaders on the ice just to the west of the island. They had crossed in the dead of night and arrived at Pelee Island early in the morning.

During the firefight, the British and Canadians saw five killed and 25 wounded.

The Patriots had 14 killed and 18 wounded. The commander and his 2IC were among the dead. 11 were captured. The rest fled back to the US. One of the Patriots had fallen through the ice and drowned.

These numbers are estimates as the reports from different participants vary.

See this report from Trooper Roswell Tomlinson of the St. Thomas Cavalry in Upper Canada

Quote:
“We got about half way down the Island. The rebels came out of a thicket cedar, with the intent to cut their way and escape to the American side. They had no other alternative … We prepared in quick time to meet them. We fired first. They returned it with great precision, and for about fifteen minutes the bullets flew sharp and quick … Major Brown then gave the command ‘Charge bayonets.’ Then it was a sight to see which would get in the cedar swamp first and keep out of reach of English steel.” Fellow trooper Samuel Williams provided similar observations: “The infantry charged with fixed bayonets … in face of heavy fire from the enemy. When the infantry were within about six rods of the enemy, the latter retreated in disorder, running like wild turkeys every way, leaving five killed.”

And from the Patriot side a Col. Bradley had this to say:

Quote:
“A bloody contest ensued, the patriots numbering only 152, the British full 500. After fifteen minutes hard fighting, the British lines began to waver and were on the point of retreating … when Col. Maitland with 600 regulars and two field pieces, was discovered pressing our right flank, to cut off our retreat. This turned the fortune of the day. We were obliged to retreat to the American shore.”

Certainly there is a disparity in the numbers of participants reported.

The commander of the Loyalist side, Col. Maitland was upset by the losses

Quote:
“I regret to say that the taking of this Island has not been gained without considerable loss … 30 soldiers from the 32nd regiment fell in this affair, 2 of whom were killed … I sincerely regret the loss of so many brave soldiers and feel it more, when I reflect that they did not fall before an honourable enemy, but under the fire of a desperate gang of murderers and marauders.”

As I said there were over one dozen of these incursions into British territory and all were dealt with. Pelee island was but one attempted invasion.

Cheers,

George

Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
3/25/2022 5:59:14 PM
Quote:
1199 Richard the Lion hearted wounded by a crossbow will die a week.later! How good of an English King was he?? Comments? Anyone??

Richard I was king for just under 10 years, from 1189 til his death in 1199. He came to the throne at age 32, and died at 41. Of his ten years as King, he spent 6 away from England, leaving to co-lead the third crusade against Saladin. As he was returning, he was captured and given to Henry VI of Germany, who held him for ransom until his release in 1195. Richard returned to England for a brief period, but was off to battle in France in 1196.

Richard was, IIRC, well-educated for his time. His mother, Eleanor of Aquitaine. Eleanor was a leading figure in the development of chivalry and “courtesy” as aspects of a lord’s education, and Richard was not jus a reader of chivalric documents but a poet within the genre. He was also well-versed in the military arts, which was one of the marks of kingship. At the time, a “good” king was primarily a warrior-leader, powerful enough to bond his nobility to his wishes. In addition, he was expected to keep the peace in his realm, though this was often devolved to his followers. And, increasingly, he was expected to keep a polite and mannered society.

Richard had all the tools necessary to be a good king. IMHO, he was not. He simply wasn’t present long enough to be any kind of king, and during most of his years of absence his brother John, who on Richard’s death would become John I. John was a weak man as surrogate and as king, and IIUC the realm suffered under both his stewardship and his kingship. It was during his reign that most of England’s French possessions were lost. He fought with Pope Innocent III over kingly authority (and lost). Ultimately, of course, he was forced to sign the Magna Carta at Runnymede in 1215.

I realize much of last paragraph deals with John rather than Richard. But in fact, it was Richard’s duty to leave the kingdom in safe hands. This he failed to do throughout his reign. His failure in that most critical area suggests he was not a good king, though he was greatly admired as a man and a holy warrior.

Cheers,
Brian G

I would love comments or rebuttals of my readings of English royals, by the way.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/26/2022 10:05:46 AM
Quote:
Quote:

This was just one of over a dozen attacks from the US on the colony of Upper Canada during what was called the "Patriot Wars" in the US. The War of 1812 had ended in 1814 but there were still US citizens who would be willing to engage the British again.

Both Upper and Lower Canada had experienced unrest and insurrection in the colonies in the 1837-38 period. And some of the rebels sought support in the US and found a most willing audience. In previous posts I had mentioned the establishment of Hunter's Lodges in several US states including Michigan and Frères Chasseurs in Lower Canada and the US states abutting.

These lodges had the goal to eliminate the British control of that part of North America. Note that the Hunter's Lodges in Michigan, New York and down to Kentucky had had their genesis in the protests taking place in Upper Canada. But the Canadians who had sought the support had lost control of the organizations to US citizens. However, fighters from both sides were present in the Lodges.

Here is the position of Pelee Island in Lake Erie. It was in British territory in 1838 and not too far from Amherstburg which was across the river from Detroit.

So what happened? Well, on Feb. 26, 1838 about 300 armed men left Sandusky, Ohio (from memory now. Please correct if that memory failed), and crossed the ice on Lake Erie. Note that some accounts suggest 400-500 men in the group. They seized the island and did a lot of property damage and killed livestock. They loaded a lot of the plundered goods onto sleighs and took it all back to Sandusky.

On Mar. 3 from the Canadian side, British troops, Canadian militia and some First Nations (total number of men was 126), crossed the ice and engaged the invaders on the ice just to the west of the island. They had crossed in the dead of night and arrived at Pelee Island early in the morning.

During the firefight, the British and Canadians saw five killed and 25 wounded.

The Patriots had 14 killed and 18 wounded. The commander and his 2IC were among the dead. 11 were captured. The rest fled back to the US. One of the Patriots had fallen through the ice and drowned.

These numbers are estimates as the reports from different participants vary.

See this report from Trooper Roswell Tomlinson of the St. Thomas Cavalry in Upper Canada

Quote:
“We got about half way down the Island. The rebels came out of a thicket cedar, with the intent to cut their way and escape to the American side. They had no other alternative … We prepared in quick time to meet them. We fired first. They returned it with great precision, and for about fifteen minutes the bullets flew sharp and quick … Major Brown then gave the command ‘Charge bayonets.’ Then it was a sight to see which would get in the cedar swamp first and keep out of reach of English steel.” Fellow trooper Samuel Williams provided similar observations: “The infantry charged with fixed bayonets … in face of heavy fire from the enemy. When the infantry were within about six rods of the enemy, the latter retreated in disorder, running like wild turkeys every way, leaving five killed.”

And from the Patriot side a Col. Bradley had this to say:

Quote:
“A bloody contest ensued, the patriots numbering only 152, the British full 500. After fifteen minutes hard fighting, the British lines began to waver and were on the point of retreating … when Col. Maitland with 600 regulars and two field pieces, was discovered pressing our right flank, to cut off our retreat. This turned the fortune of the day. We were obliged to retreat to the American shore.”

Certainly there is a disparity in the numbers of participants reported.

The commander of the Loyalist side, Col. Maitland was upset by the losses

Quote:
“I regret to say that the taking of this Island has not been gained without considerable loss … 30 soldiers from the 32nd regiment fell in this affair, 2 of whom were killed … I sincerely regret the loss of so many brave soldiers and feel it more, when I reflect that they did not fall before an honourable enemy, but under the fire of a desperate gang of murderers and marauders.”

As I said there were over one dozen of these incursions into British territory and all were dealt with. Pelee island was but one attempted invasion.

Cheers,

George

Hi George,

I didn't know about the conflict over Pelee Island, by US & Canadian forces? I do know the rest of the Islands in that area of Lake Erie are US property, how did that come about??

& Bri., thanks for the post on Richard the Lion hearted! He does have a cool name though!?

Thanks
MD
George
3/26/2022 11:37:42 AM
Quote:
I didn't know about the conflict over Pelee Island, by US & Canadian forces? I do know the rest of the Islands in that area of Lake Erie are US property, how did that come about??

At the end of the rebellion against Great Britain, the Treaty of Paris of 1783 established the boundary between the new United States and the remaining British colonies. It was determined that the international boundary would be set as a line in the middle of four of the Great Lakes (Superior, Huron, Erie and Ontario. Pelee Island was on the north side of that imaginary boundary.

Note that the Treaty of Paris of 1783 wasn't the final word on international boundaries because it was vague in some areas, and specific areas along the line had not been properly surveyed.

A quick scan of the text of the treaty and specifically, Article 2 indicates that considerable work still had to be done to finalize and affirm the international boundary.

Quote:
And that all disputes which might arise in future on the subject of the boundaries of the said United States may be prevented, it is hereby agreed and declared, that the following are and shall be their boundaries, viz.; from the northwest angle of Nova Scotia, viz., that nagle which is formed by a line drawn due north from the source of St. Croix River to the highlands; along the said highlands which divide those rivers that empty themselves into the river St. Lawrence, from those which fall into the Atlantic Ocean, to the northwesternmost head of Connecticut River; thence down along the middle of that river to the forty‐fifth degree of north latitude; from thence by a line due west on said latitude until it strikes the river Iroquois or Cataraquy; thence along the middle of said river into Lake Ontario; through the middle of said lake until it strikes the communication by water between that lake and Lake Erie; thence along the middle of said communication into Lake Erie, through the middle of said lake until it arrives at the water communication between that lake and Lake Huron; thence along the middle of said water communication into Lake Huron, thence through the middle of said lake to the water communication between that lake and Lake Superior; thence through Lake Superior northward of the Isles Royal and Phelipeaux to the Long Lake; thence through the middle of said Long Lake and the water communication between it and the Lake of the Woods, to the said Lake of the Woods; thence through the said lake to the most northwesternmost point thereof, and from thence on a due west course to the river Mississippi; thence by a line to be drawn along the middle of the said river Mississippi until it shall intersect the northernmost part of the thirty‐first degree of north latitude, South, by a line to be drawn due east from the determination of the line last mentioned in the latitude of thirty‐ one degrees of the equator, to the middle of the river Apalachicola or Catahouche; thence along the middle thereof to its junction with the Flint River, thence straight to the head of Saint Mary's River; and thence down along the middle of Saint Mary's River to the Atlantic Ocean; east, by a line to be drawn along the middle of the river Saint Croix, from its mouth in the Bay of Fundy to its source, and from its source directly north to the aforesaid highlands which divide the rivers that fall into the Atlantic Ocean from those which fall into the river Saint Lawrence; comprehending all islands within twenty leagues of any part of the shores of the United States, and lying between lines to be drawn due east from the points where the aforesaid boundaries between Nova Scotia on the one part and East Florida on the other shall, respectively, touch the Bay of Fundy and the Atlantic Ocean, excepting such islands as now are or heretofore have been within the limits of the said province of Nova Scotia.

So from the beginnings of the US as a country, it has been well established that the Great Lakes and the rivers that join them would be divided down the middle. And as a result of this treaty, Lake Michigan remained solely within the territorial boundaries of the US.

And a final note about the Battle of Pelee Island. MD you mentioned that it was a conflict between the "US" and Canada. Of course there was no Canada but more importantly I think, the government of the US disapproved of these incursions into British North America by US citizens. The Patriot War was not a conflict between nations but none the less, Americans allied with Canadian malcontents were attacking British subjects in unauthorized raids.

Since these attacks were taking place in Upper Canada and Lower Canada, the US President despatched Winfield Scott to put a stop to the raids. These raids caused great consternation in Canada and in Britain. There was a chance that war could have broken out and neither country wanted that. Winfield Scott was to establish order along the US side of the border.

If anyone is interested in any of the other raids during the 1837/38 time period, you may want to look up:

The Battle of the Windmill, Nov. 13-18, 1838

The Battle of Windsor, Dec. 4, 1838

There are others but these involved larger groups of men.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/26/2022 6:31:06 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[Read More]

[Read More]

3 perpetual sites, check for 3-25 in history topics.? These below topics were not commented on? Anyone?

What say you,
cheers,
MD

From 3-24 in history! The following happened!? Please comment??

1765 British Parliament passes Quartering Act making Colonists house British Military! How did this piss the Colonists off!? What say you?

On 3-24, a RAF gunner on this day, falls 18,000 feet without a parachute, & is hardly injured!? How in the hell???

Some new topics, from 3-25! Comments on anything, below, anyone??
MD

3-25 events, for example,

1807 British Parliament out laws slavery! How effective was it? Comments?

1865 CW battles in Virginia, Florida, & Kentucky. Who won them?? Comments on the last year of the CW. Anyone??

1917 Canadian flying ace, Billy Bishop shoots down his first plane! What's the story on this Canuck Hotshot!? Comments, Anyone??

1965 MLK jr. Leads 25,000 to march on Montgomery, Alabama! How was he a great non violent leader for African Americans! What say you on King??

Any new topics MHOers?
D

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/26/2022 6:33:58 PM
d
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
3/26/2022 6:36:34 PM
Oops d, again! Sorry.
Page 7 of 114 (Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6    7    8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114 )

© 2024 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC