MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

General History
Page 76 of 115 (Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75    76    77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115 )
Centre Hastings ON Canada
This day in World History! Continued
6/6/2023 4:38:24 PM
Quote:
Also any ceremonies going on in any of the countries involved? Posting videos on them or historical videos on that day would be great!? What say you? About D day??

I am not sure whether anything is going on in Ottawa but the annual commemoration in France took place today. Apparently this year the events will take place at the British Normandy Memorial.

Next year will be the 80th anniversary. I cannot imagine that too many vets will be left given that the youngest was supposed to have been 18 in 1944 but traditionally the commemorations on the fives and the zeros have been more elaborate.

There are already tour outfits that are trying to encourage people to sign up for a guided tour of the beaches.

The tour described below has been designed specifically for Canadians. I'm sure that there will be similar tours directed to people from other countries.

[Read More]

I have already been to the beaches and it was a very humbling experience. Still I would like to go back. Meanwhile, today we remember those who landed on those beaches, 79 years ago.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/6/2023 5:51:06 PM
The last 3 days of daily world history! Brought to new page for last chance comments!??

6-4 in history events, (this early to mid June is a time where a lot of important history events happened!) Check these out!? Comments, anyone??

6-4-1760:A large group of New Englander's migrate to Nova Scotia! Why? Check out George's very informative post on this! Thanks George!

1786 Napoleon wins in the seige of Mantua! Another victory for Bonaparte! What say you where does he stand as an effective Commander?? Anyone??

1863, around Gettysburg, & the area, what's going on with the ANV leading up to the great battle? Any CW history guys out there!??

1919 Women are granted the right to vote! (19th Amendment) How strong of a voting block are they today??

1942 the Japanese are defeated in the Battle of Midway! 4 IJN Aircraft Carriers that were involved at Pearl Harbor are sunk! How did the USN achieve such a one sided victory!? Factors involved?? What say you??

1970 the Kingdom of Tonga break free of the British Empire!? Why would they seek independence from such a strong entity?? Comments, anyone??

1940 The Dunkirk evacuation is over, how important was it for the Allies in the overall picture involving WWII victory in Europe?? Comments? Thanks Brian for the great post on this!! Check it out!?

Yesterday 6-5 in history this history happened!? Any new posts?? Anyone?

1849 Denmark abolishes its monarchy! What effect did this have on the rest of Scandinavia?
& what Government replaced it?? What say you?

1939 Joe Clark becomes Canada's youngest Prime Minister was born! How did the youngster do?? Anyone??

1944 the Allies liberate Rome! Is it the beginning of the end for the Axis forces? What battle do you see as the turning point of WWII in Europe? I'll give you a hint on mine, it will occure, 6-6, 1944!?Comments on how you see this??

1967 Start of the Six Day War! All wars should be so short!? Were the Israelis that much better than their adversaries in this area?? How did the dominate, & win?? What about this?

1968 Senator Robert Kennedy seeking to win the US Presidency is assassinated! A very sad day in America!? What say you?

6-6-1945 of course the big event, D Day Invasion!? Lots to discuss on all aspects of D day!???

Most recent events to the new page, any last posts or comments??

Regards,
MD

BTW George, your above post is worthy of any travel agent! ☺
----------------------------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
scoucer
Berlin  Germany
6/7/2023 4:08:46 AM
Quote:
I have already been to the beaches and it was a very humbling experience. Still I would like to go back. Meanwhile, today we remember those who landed on those beaches, 79 years ago.

Cheers, George

I visited the beaches a couple of times many years ago when I lived in France. Just me and my bike and a whole lot of maps. And a lot of helpful information from guest house landladies. There were no tour guides then. Seems to be big business all over the place now. One of the things I regret ( for all of the battlefields I´ve visited ) is not taking a camera with me.
What always impresses me is the contrast between the beauty of the place and the horror of the events that took place there.

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/7/2023 12:51:02 PM
D day June 6, 1944, the largest amphibious landing ever, involving incredible land, sea, & air operations!

Bring this post up to today in history, concerning of course D day! It was on that day the largest air operation ever, happened! A few generalities I read was that Bomber Harris had his RAF bombers hit Utah Beach ahead of the invasion, he wisely had them find land & bomb running parallel to the beach & the German armed defenses! Doing a much better job than the Americans who bombed Utah beach straight on in the heavy clouds, releasing way to late with little effect on the German defenders? The American boys hitting Utah paid quite a price for this!? Then you look at other air related parts to the invasion, like the gliders, & paratroopers, & you can see just how massive this Air part of D day was?? & this isn't even taking into account the exceptional bombing going up the coast at Calais to fool the Germans? I guess Rommel was at his wife's birthday party, so that was good!?

So lets discuss the complicated Allied air operation of D day, & countless other fascits!?

Anyone can chime in?
Lots to discuss!
MD

& on a larger scale, yesterday's obvious & major topic is D day, 6-6-1944, tons of things to discuss, some not widely known!? Please pitch in! All comments, websites, & posts welcome!?

PS why was it called D day? Anyone??

Also any ceremonies going on in any of the countries involved? Posting videos on them or historical videos on that day would be great!? What say you? About D day??

PS Thanks George on your post on Normandy beach tours , didn't mean to slight it. I respect anyone who visits this sacred ground! I also would love to visit there. My Uncle Norbert was killed in Normandy!
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
DT509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
6/7/2023 3:03:41 PM
To avoid a similar and tragic situation as happened during US Airborne operations in Sicily, Airborne forces were transported mainly outside of direct paths over the ships. US Paratroopers came in from the southwest, gliders from the northwest both west of Utah Beach while Brit Paras came in from the north and to the east of sword Beach.

Dan
"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..." German officer, Italy 1944. “If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford
Phil Andrade
London  UK
6/7/2023 5:19:38 PM
Dave,

“ The American boys hitting Utah paid quite a price for this ! “

Wasn’t it Omaha where the US troops paid the terrible price ?

I’d always thought that Utah was conspicuous for its low cost in casualties.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
6/7/2023 10:07:10 PM
Quote:
1939 Joe Clark becomes Canada's youngest Prime Minister was born! How did the youngster do?

To be honest, I don’t think anybody – even fervent Canadians – gives much of a damn about Joe Clark. But here’s one quick reading.

He was not as clumsy and embarrassingly incompetent as he appeared. What the hell, he booted Pierre Trudeau out of office, if only for a brief time. He was from Alberta, and represented one of the Calgary ridings; this more or less proved his bona fides for membership in the Progressive Conservatives (PSs), as the current Conservative Party was once known. Most conservative values in Canada have roots in western Canada, IMHO. Even the parties which moved the movement from Progressive Conservative to far stricter conservative values – Reform Party; Canadian Alliance Party – were born in Canada’s west.

Joe was one of Canada’s first PMs to determine early in life to enter politics. He was educated at the University of Alberta, which I assume (given his age) means at the University in Edmonton, and his choice of studies was directed by the needs of a person planning a political career. I remember hearing him interviewed on CBC Radio, where he admitted he had no formal education in Economics. He needed French to enter federal politics, so he studied French rather than Economics.

He would not last as PM for very long. His gaffes, when compared to the sophistication of Pierre Trudeau, his Liberal opponent, brought Canada to return the Liberals to power.

I liked Joe, though I could never have voted for him. But as the decades went by and the Progressive Conservatives were replaced by a more rigorous and less tolerant conservatism, Joe – renounced his affiliation with the new Conservative Party. He became, at least IMHO, an “elder’s” voice for the old PC values.

But as I say, I don’t think too many folks care one way or the other.

Cheers
Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/8/2023 7:47:41 AM
Moving on from post 6-6 in history, check out June 7th, 8th, & search for new topics, & history! Comments??

6-7 these events!! Comments?

1494, Spain, & Portugal divide up the new world, nice of them to consult the Natives, & others??

1576 Martin Frobisher hunt for the NW Passageway! A search that will lead the British Empire's Explorers to multiple tragedies!? site any in particular polar tragedy o discuss, anyone?? What say you??

1832 PM Charles Grey reforms British Parliament! Was this a good thing? Was he the Grey Cup guy?? Anyone??

1970 English Novelist EM Forster passes away! Would you consider him a great author?? Anyone see the movie finding Forster?

6-8 in history;

632 Muhammad the founder of Islam dies! Why does this religion conflict so much with Christianity?? What say you??

1191 Richard I, leads the 3rd Crusade, which side won most of the Crusades?? How did they shape modern history? What say you about the Lion Hearted??

1966 the NFL, & AFL football leagues, merge! Hey the CFL starts the regular season this weekend! Go Argos! How will they do? Any favorites to win?! Comments??

2009 the UN hosts it's1st Oceans Day! Global warming is rising the Ocean levels recently! What land forms are currently threatened?? Do you see any way to stop these rising water levels?? Anyone?

Please post, &
Regards,
MD

BTW feel free to continue the great talks on D day!!??

& yes Phil, it was Omaha Beach that was so costly to American Invaders, my bad!?
George
6/8/2023 8:23:55 AM
Quote:
Quote:
1939 Joe Clark becomes Canada's youngest Prime Minister was born! How did the youngster do?

To be honest, I don’t think anybody – even fervent Canadians – gives much of a damn about Joe Clark. But here’s one quick reading.

He was not as clumsy and embarrassingly incompetent as he appeared. What the hell, he booted Pierre Trudeau out of office, if only for a brief time. He was from Alberta, and represented one of the Calgary ridings; this more or less proved his bona fides for membership in the Progressive Conservatives (PSs), as the current Conservative Party was once known. Most conservative values in Canada have roots in western Canada, IMHO. Even the parties which moved the movement from Progressive Conservative to far stricter conservative values – Reform Party; Canadian Alliance Party – were born in Canada’s west.

Joe was one of Canada’s first PMs to determine early in life to enter politics. He was educated at the University of Alberta, which I assume (given his age) means at the University in Edmonton, and his choice of studies was directed by the needs of a person planning a political career. I remember hearing him interviewed on CBC Radio, where he admitted he had no formal education in Economics. He needed French to enter federal politics, so he studied French rather than Economics.

He would not last as PM for very long. His gaffes, when compared to the sophistication of Pierre Trudeau, his Liberal opponent, brought Canada to return the Liberals to power.

I liked Joe, though I could never have voted for him. But as the decades went by and the Progressive Conservatives were replaced by a more rigorous and less tolerant conservatism, Joe – renounced his affiliation with the new Conservative Party. He became, at least IMHO, an “elder’s” voice for the old PC values.

But as I say, I don’t think too many folks care one way or the other.

Cheers
Brian G

Poor Joe, Brian. He was always portrayed as the bumbler. The great cartoonist Andy Donato always drew Joe wearing "idiot mittens".

I'm sure that you recall that fateful debate between Joe and Pierre Trudeau. Joe's performance was sad. He was so nervous in the presence of a man with superior intellect and a haughty manner that he was unable to perform.

I liked the man but I was unsure of his leadership capabilities and it was unlikely that I was going to vote PC in those days anyway.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/8/2023 10:59:53 AM
Quote:
Quote:
6-8 in history; btw how long after 6-6-1944, did it take the Allies to secure the Normandy beaches? Anyone?

It took until the end of June before the allies had landed everything that they needed to continue the fight and were assured that they had a firm foothold.

Quote:
By June 30th, the Allies had established a firm foothold in Normandy — 850,279 men, 148,803 vehicles and 570,505 tons of supplies had been landed.
. source: eucom.mil

After the initial landing on June 6 and one attempted counterattack by the Germans on that day, there were several days whereby the allies had to turn back counter attacks. There was particularly vicious fighting in the Caen sector.

As well, the temporary harbours had to be towed over from England and they were being installed on June 11. So may we point to that day to say that the beaches were now secure?

This is a map of the situation at the end of June 6, 1944

June 7-12

June 13-18

So I am guessing. When did Germany know that the allies were not going to be pushed into the sea?

Cheers,

George

Hi George,

Great post from last year on the topic of how the progress on the Normandy Invasion was going in the days following 6-6-1944, Comments or other info, anyone??

Thanks, & Regards,
MD

BTW I won't be able to post until Sunday late afternoon, so hopefully you guys can fill in on this thread!?
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/8/2023 11:09:05 AM
A few events;

6-8 in history;

632 Muhammad the founder of Islam dies! Why does this religion conflict so much with Christianity?? What say you??

1191 Richard I, leads the 3rd Crusade, which side won most of the Crusades?? How did they shape modern history? What say you about the Lion Hearted??

1966 the NFL, & AFL football leagues, merge! Hey the CFL starts the regular season this weekend! Go Argos! How will they do? Any favorites to win?! Comments??

2009 the UN hosts it's1st Oceans Day! Global warming is rising the Ocean levels recently! What land forms are currently threatened?? Do you see any way to stop these rising water levels?? Anyone?

Also comments on the recent dryness helping in causing the terrible air & I health conditions in eastern NA!??

Please post, & stay safe!
Regards,
MD
DT509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
6/8/2023 12:32:30 PM
In the Super Bowl era, which began upon the merger, what two NFL teams have the title, "National Football League Champions" but did not win the Super Bowl Championship?

Quote:

Regards,
MD

"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..." German officer, Italy 1944. “If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford
George
6/8/2023 1:04:51 PM
Quote:
In the Super Bowl era, which began upon the merger, what two NFL teams have the title, "National Football League Champions" but did not win the Super Bowl Championship?

Quote:

Regards,
MD

New York Jets with Joe Namath were the first AFL team to win the Super Bowl over the Baltimore Colts in 1969. I don't remember the second AFL victory. Is that correct or am I foggy?

I don't follow the NFL now but in the late '60's I was a big fan of the AFL and Jack Kemp and the Buffalo Bills. My favourite Bills player was Elbert Dubenion.

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/11/2023 3:40:36 PM
Moving on, to 6-10 day's history we find.

1692, the 1st Witch is hanged in Salem, Mass.!! How could those people really believe in witches?? Crazy! ?Comments??

1772, Rhode Islanders boarded & sank HMS Gaspee, it had to be an embarrassment to the Brits to have the smallest colony RI,, sink a RN Cutter!? What say you??

1940 At this point Benito Mussolini, declared war on Great Britain, & France! The el Duce was not the sharpest pencil in the box!? What say you??

1977 James Earl Ray, killer of MLK Jr escapes prison in Tennessee!? How could such a fugitive escape?? Anyone know??

2016 Gordie Howe, one of the greatest hockey players of all time, dies in Toledo, Ohio!? What did you think of Gordie?? where did he rank? Anyone??

How about 6-11 in history!?

1509 Henry VIII of England marries Catherine of Aragon! Then divorces her!? Why did Henry think he was so powerful as to defy the church & state!? Who does he think he is!??? Anyone??

1927 Aviator Charles Lindbergh is given the Distinguished Flying Cross by Pres. Calvin Cooledge! How can a civilian receive a military medal? Anyone??

1910 Ocean Explorer Jacques Cousteau was born! His show on National Geographic was awesome, at the time!? Did you watch it?? Anyone?

2001 Timothy McVeigh convicted of bombing a federal building in Oklahoma City! Considered then one of the worst terrorist attacks in US history!? Today would you say it was just a drop in the bucket!?? Sad times??

New topics, comments anyone??
Regards,
MD

BTW where is everybody? Not many posts lately??
Phil Andrade
London  UK
6/11/2023 3:55:15 PM
“ The el Duce was not the sharpest pencil in the box !?”

Dave,

Il Duce was no dullard. He held office for more than twenty years. In the end, of course, his rule proved disastrous. He led his nation into an abyss. But to write him off as a man of inferior intellect is - in my opinion- a bit unfair, to say the least.

Regards , Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
6/11/2023 7:12:09 PM
I agree, Phil.

We tend to forget the first 15 years+ of his time in power, when Italy grew in reputation in geopolitics, aviation, and a strange, sometimes ugly diplomacy. Britain and France were both wary of offending fascist Italy. Italy was originally the senior power in the early days of Germano-Italian diplomatic hand-holding; Fascist troops and a/c fought in Spain, a defeat for socialism and communism that would play at home. As late as early 1940, before the European War had more than three active fighters (Britain, France and Germany), the US undersecretary of state Sumner Welles included Italy in his list of visits exploring the possibility of peace. That is not insignificant.

There were, of course, major flaws in his governance, largely because of personal flaws in his character. He was boastful, for a start. But there was also a touch of unreality about his behaviour. His dream of a “Mare Italia”, and his white charger waiting to carry him as a conqueror, suggest a touch of megalomania. His commitment to various campaigns far beyond Italy’s capability to support ultimately made both Italy and its troops something easily but sometimes unjustly mocked.

Cheers
Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
6/11/2023 8:26:36 PM
Quote:
1509 Henry VIII of England marries Catherine of Aragon! Then divorces her!? Why did Henry think he was so powerful as to defy the church & state!? Who does he think he is!???

King of England under God.

Sorry, that’s glib. It’s also true. In the early 16th century, if you were a king you could do just about anything you damn well wanted. Folks didn’t fight to become a king, or to retain a kingdom, just for the fancy carriages and the hoohah! We’re talking, to a large extent, raw power! We’re also talking about authority granted by God through the Pope.

To the issue itself. Catherine of Aragon and the Tudors had a history prior to Henry VIII marrying her. She married the Tudor heir apparent, Arthur, by proxy in 1499 and physically in 1501, when Arthur turned 15. The marriage lasted only five months; Arthur died. And Henry VIII stepped forward to take his place.

This where various religious and social issues arise. At the time, it was unacceptable under Church law to marry the widow of your brother. This is not my area of expertise, but Henry VIII was able to petition the Papal court for a ruling based on the idea that Arthur and Catherine had not consummated the marriage. This was accepted, despite a recollection of Arthur, the morning after his wedding, saying to his inner circle “Gentlemen, I am surprised to find you at my bed side, since I spent the night in Spain!”. Papal logic being similar to political logic, it was decided that the wedding was not consummated and that Henry could marry his brother’s widow.

Henry and Catherine married in 1509, during which time she bore him a daughter, Mary. By 1533, Catherine was in her mid-forties; her child-bearing time was coming to a close. Henry, six years her junior, was quite seriously of two minds. He was six years younger than Catherine, and may have been getting baited by younger women; his concern about not having a male heir was not gossip but a state issue. One Anne Boleyn caught his attention in particular. The Old Adam in him responded.

But Henry was still worthy of his “Defender of the Faith” status. (And yes, you can read the following as you wish!) He determined that God was punishing him for violating marriage vows by denying him a son. In his logic, this meant that perhaps Catherine and Arthur had consummated their marriage, which meant God was denying the legitimacy of his marriage. So – its a bit of a carnival! – Henry VIII asked the Pope for dispensation to declare his marriage to Catherine null and void because she had carnal knowlege with his brother. Yeah. Despite arguing she would come as a virgin to his bed in order to legitimize his marriage to Catherine, he would now argue she lost her virginity to Arthur, which meant that their marriage was invalid. This, despite Catherine’s reputed testimony before Henry that “my lord knows I came to him untouched.”

I’m sufficiently jaded about the Church of Rome at the time that I remain surprised that they refused Henry’s argument. They refused his petition for an annulment. Henry, in disagreement, rejected Roman authority over Church matters in England. He had an archbishop in agreement with Henry to sanctify a divorce between Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon. Good thing! IIUC, he had already married Anne Boleyn in a private ceremony.

Cheers
Brian g
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/12/2023 8:58:54 AM
Items not discussed yet! Any takers?

6-10 day's history we find.

1692, the 1st Witch is hanged in Salem, Mass.!! How could those people really believe in witches?? Crazy! ?Comments??

1772, Rhode Islanders boarded & sank HMS Gaspee, it had to be an embarrassment to the Brits to have the smallest colony RI,, sink a RN Cutter!? What say you?

1977 James Earl Ray, killer of MLK Jr escapes prison in Tennessee!? How could such a fugitive escape?? Anyone know??

2016 Gordie Howe, one of the greatest hockey players of all time, dies in Toledo, Ohio!? What did you think of Gordie?? where did he rank? Anyone??

How about 6-11 in history!?

1927 Aviator Charles Lindbergh is given the Distinguished Flying Cross by Pres. Calvin Cooledge! How can a civilian receive a military medal? Anyone??

1910 Ocean Explorer Jacques Cousteau was born! His show on National Geographic was awesome, at the time!? Did you watch it?? Anyone?

2001 Timothy McVeigh convicted of bombing a federal building in Oklahoma City! Considered then one of the worst terrorist attacks in US history!? Today would you say it was just a drop in the bucket!?? Sad times??

New topics, comments anyone??
Regards,
MD

On today 6-12-1701 Parliament passes the Act of Settlement! What was that all about?? Anyone??

MD

BTW Guys, I'm no expert on Mussolini, just an observation, but from what I've seen on videos of him, he just looks a bit out of sorts! But what do I know??

Also Brian, great synopsis of Catherine, & Henry!!
morris crumley
Dunwoody GA USA
6/12/2023 10:49:07 AM

"Guys, I`m no expert on Mussolini, just an observation, but from what I`ve seen on videos of him, he looks a bit out of sorts!" - MD

Gee MD, the last time I saw video and photos of the guy...he was just hangin` around...chillin` out with his girl! But, what do I know?

Respects, Morris

"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/12/2023 11:39:34 AM
Gee I feel like Custer at the Little Big Horn, surrounded by Phil, & Brian, & now Morris!

Hold those arrows!!?? ☺
MD
George
6/12/2023 11:57:42 AM
Quote:
1772, Rhode Islanders boarded & sank HMS Gaspee, it had to be an embarrassment to the Brits to have the smallest colony RI,, sink a RN Cutter!? What say you?

This event was simply civil disobedience. The Rhode Island merchant class were trying to avoid paying taxes or to avoid arrest for the smugglers that they were. The Gaspee was sent to enforce customs collection on imports and to intercede in the case of smuggling.

The question of course is whether civil disobedience in the face of customs duties is justified. In this case, the Gaspee was in pursuit of a smuggler. Smuggling was illegal though practiced extensively in many of the British colonies. There may have been discontent among merchants that compelled them to follow the rules laid down under the British mercantile system and compelled them to pay customs duties but is that sufficient reason to destroy government property and to injure those charged with enforcing the rules.

Whether the mercantile system was reasonable any longer in 1772 is a question that I cannot answer. But in exchange for protecting and supporting its colonies and indeed for creating the means by which they were established, Britain expected that the colonies would trade only with Britain. Fair or unfair??

The Gaspee ran aground while chasing a smuggling ship and a mob in row boats stormed the ship and swarmed the crew and captain. The Gaspee was waiting for high tide and the opportunity to refloat. The mob removed them from the ship and then set it on fire. But they also badly wounded a lieutenant from the ship who was in charge at the time of the boarding.

The smugglers and merchants had been complaining to their government that this ship and its captain were overly zealous in enforcement of the laws so the governor contacted the captain of the ship to ask him to go a bit easier. The captain complained to his superior who then told the governor that it was he and not the captain and crew of Gaspee that were out of line.

Despite a serious attempt to investigate, none of the perpetrators were arrested.

Providence, R.I was a hotbed of smuggling and illegal trade.

Cheers,

George

George
6/12/2023 12:25:45 PM
Mussolini was an interesting person. In the aftermath of the Great War, Italy was in turmoil and Mussolini and other fascists conducted a march on Rome with the objective to compel the King to relinquish control of the government to Mussolini. And this is how it did happen in 1922. The King appointed Mussolini as Prime Minister

But Mussolini wasn't always a fascist. He was a journalist, a newspaper owner and a member of the Italian Socialist Party prior to WWI. He served in the Italian army during the war and was wounded in 1917. During that time he evolved as an extreme nationalist and he rejected the tenets of socialism.

EDIT: I don't know enough about him to explain why he rejected socialism in favour of totalitarian fascism.

It took him about five years after his appointment as PM to become dictator after eliminating opposition or encouraging any opposition to stand down.

His wish was to reestablish a great Italian Empire hence his initiatives in Africa. By the mid-30's he had fallen into disfavour with former allies like Britain and France.

Hitler was a great admirer of Mussolini and when Mussolini felt that Hitler was likely to be the victor in 1940, he aligned Italy with Germany. The Italians proved to be inadequate military partners which required a great deal of support from Germany. I am thinking of the number of German divisions and the equipment that was tied up in Italy during the Italian campaign.

Cheers,

George
George
6/12/2023 4:49:32 PM
Quote:

One of the greatest of all time. Despite playing most of his career in Detroit, he is a legend in the game in his home country of Canada and his home province of Saskatchewan. Big and strong, he played with a bit of a mean streak. Ultimately, he was a skilled hockey player and It was wonderful to have watched him play. I recall that he could switch his stick from left side to right side and still pass and shoot. He also played with a straight blade partly because he could switch when necessary. He didn't do it all of the time but he could when necessary.

I think that we would have called him a power forward today. Howe played at both ends of the ice. He wasn't just a free wheeler in the offensive zone. He held the NHL scoring records with 801 goals, 1,049 assists, and 1,850 total points until Gretzky came along. I have to remind myself that Howe played in an era that was much less open while Gretzky played in an era of wide open play with many more scoring chances. I hate to compare the two because they were top players but in two very different styles of play.

So it is difficult to rank players but I feel that Howe would be in the top ten of all time greatest players.

The US and Canada are building a new bridge across the Detroit River between the city of Detroit and Windsor, Ontario. This is the busiest border crossing in North America and the delays at the old Ambassador bridge are not good for business. The new bridge will be called the Gordie Howe bridge.

Cheers,

George
Phil Andrade
London  UK
6/12/2023 5:08:17 PM
There’s a film called “ Tea with Mussolini “ which I saw about twenty years ago. I’ll try and watch it again.

I get the impression that his catastrophic flaws were matched by prodigious abilities. He would, I think, have been a very impressive person to meet.

He was regarded as a first rate journalist and a competent teacher. He was an accomplished soldier and a man of intense patriotic conviction.

His experience was widespread : in matters of the intellect he was a maverick who was largely self educated; he was no stranger to manual labour, being the son of a blacksmith, and he took employment as a stonemason. I’m convinced that he must’ve been a man of superior intelligence .

Strange that I’ve become so agitated about this : sorry if I’ve come over as a bit snotty, MD.

The death of Silvio Berlusconi - announced today - has made me reflect on the history of modern Italian politics and statesmanship; there’s something about Il Duce that makes recent leaders look like pygmies.

Regards, Phil
DT509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
6/12/2023 10:36:17 PM
Quote:
Quote:

One of the greatest of all time. Despite playing most of his career in Detroit, he is a legend in the game in his home country of Canada and his home province of Saskatchewan. Big and strong, he played with a bit of a mean streak. Ultimately, he was a skilled hockey player and It was wonderful to have watched him play. I recall that he could switch his stick from left side to right side and still pass and shoot. He also played with a straight blade partly because he could switch when necessary. He didn't do it all of the time but he could when necessary.

I think that we would have called him a power forward today. Howe played at both ends of the ice. He wasn't just a free wheeler in the offensive zone. He held the NHL scoring records with 801 goals, 1,049 assists, and 1,850 total points until Gretzky came along. I have to remind myself that Howe played in an era that was much less open while Gretzky played in an era of wide open play with many more scoring chances. I hate to compare the two because they were top players but in two very different styles of play.

So it is difficult to rank players but I feel that Howe would be in the top ten of all time greatest players.

Cheers,

George

No doubt about that George, and I dare say top 5 all time for Gordie. While all time rankings are subjective, if one can step back and see the environment that each generation played within and do so with the ability to actually comprehend the differences of each generation, maybe we can rank players in order of all time, unlikely though and that seems evident on its own merits.

I never saw Syl Apps play, nor Detroit Tigers Charlie Gehringer or Otto Graham of the Cleveland Browns play but, I do know the value each had in his era of playing their respective sports and yes, each on those three I listed were truly great players. To dismiss their abilities in their era of their sport (which some people just can't help but do) is limiting the understanding of what the game was in such and such an era, the game evolves much as the players and capabilities of do.

Of course some will say, well if Mark Messier played in the 40' or 50's, he would have ruled the ice. Well, ok, maybe, but, he didn't nor was the game played in the manner it was from the 80's to the 40's, etc. And, who is to say that had Maurice Richard played in the 1990's NHL, he would not have scored 80+ goals. Surely he would have had the same practices as others in developing a full time routine of working out, speed & strength development, analytical assessments, personal trainers and making a boatload of cash in contracts and endorsements.

I sense you may agree with my little rant here, my point is, Gordie is a NHL/Hockey legend regardless of what others did before and after his days on the ice. And, I saw Gordie play twice, on tv.

P.S.

Years ago I did a breakdown of 1930's baseball. I developed an offensive and defensive scoring system based on a player playing at least 6 seasons within that decade and also having played a minimum of 100 games in each season of that decade; I ended up ranking by each position, with three outfielders and four starting pitchers (I developed the pitcher ratings exclusively on pitching data, again with minimum seasons and games played within that decade). I thought I really knew baseball really well, and while the majority of the players I thought would be on the list were, there was one that blew me away. Earl Averill of the Cleveland Indians made the team. Earl was a helluva player and learning about him for the first time got me headed to the library (yes, this was all before computers and Excel spreadsheets as all the data was compiled by hand from Hall of Fame information and Baseball Encyclopedia data). Earl stands amongst one of my all time favorite players, and the only time I saw him play was on an old film, but, based on my criteria, he made the list of eight fielders for the 1930's decade.

I believe I also compiled the 1970's team as well and may work on the list in my retirement and go back and complete each decade from the 1900's to now, or whenever now is when I get there.

Dan
George
6/13/2023 7:37:59 AM
Hi Dan,

Excellent "rant" though I don't think that it really was a rant. Gordie was just one of the best.

One of the reasons that I try to resist comparisons of athletes in different eras is that the rules are often altered and that changes the game. Howe played under the "3 zone" rule for his whole career. So a player could not pass from behind his own blue line to another player at the opposite blue line. That was offside in when Howe played. Teams had to pass only to the red line to remain on side and from there try to gain the other blue line while staying onside again. In 2005 the NHL changed that rule, eliminating the red line except for icing calls and certainly play opened up considerably after that. And now we see many more long passes from the defensive zone to the opposite blue line.

As you said, we can never know how those old timers would have played in an open ice era.

BTW, when you were ranking the outfielders in your '30's project, what sort of criteria did you use to compare them? Sounds like an interesting project.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/13/2023 9:34:05 AM
Checking 6-13 for today's history! Comments anyone??

323 BC, Alexander the Great is killed in Babylon, what made him so effective as A commander?? What say you?

1865 William B Yeats is born, was he one of the great poets to come out of Ireland?? What do you think? Comments?

1967 Thurgood Marshall joins the Supreme Court, Is the Court today truly non partisan?? How could it be revised? Who Party wise, has influence over 6 of 9 justices & yet they are the prominent minority? Also the Judges have this position for their lifetimes? Is that fair?? Anyone??

2000 North, & South Korean leaders meet. Are they still enemies? What say you?

& on 6-14 these events occurred! New posts welcome!??

1645 Oliver Cromwell, & his army defeat the Royalists! How did this effect Britain? Anyone??

1777 US Congress adopts the Stars & Stripes as the US flag, today groups put words, & other colors, & things on the flag, is that right?? Comments?

1800 on today in history, Napoleon defeats the Austrians, & then today in 1807 he defeated the Russians, how much of Europe did he conquer? Anyone??

1811 Harriot Beecher Stowe writes Uncle Tom's Cabin, why did it cause such a stir in the Southern US?? What was it about? Do you see the conflict? Anyone??

1940 Hitler enters Paris, what did the French think of this?? Did Hitler rub it in the Frenchmans faces?? What's up with the passenger train car?? What say you??

1982 the Argentines surrender Port Stanley! Leading to Great Britain winning the Falkland Islands War! Was the entire Commonwealth involved in the victory? What say you about the Falklands War?? Comments, & websites welcome??

1940 First prisoners arrive in Auschwitz Concentration camp! How many prisoners were killed by the Nazis! Is this one of the worst episodes Genocide in history!? Comments??

Lots to discuss here? Anyone?
Regards,
MD

Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/13/2023 6:15:49 PM
Quote:
Quote:

The US and Canada are building a new bridge across the Detroit River between the city of Detroit and Windsor, Ontario. This is the busiest border crossing in North America and the delays at the old Ambassador bridge are not good for business. The new bridge will be called the Gordie Howe bridge.

Cheers,

George

George,

Gordie won 4 Stanley Cups with the Detroit Red Wings in the 1950's! He wasn't as big as portrayed, only 6ft 205 lbs!

But he was a great complete hockey player!

One of the best!
MD

BTW I saw him play Montreal in the old Olympia in person, He was the difference in a 7-6 wings win!!
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
6/13/2023 8:33:21 PM
Quote:
1645 Oliver Cromwell, & his army defeat the Royalists! How did this effect Britain? Anyone??

In quite a major way. Cromwell’s victory over Prince Rupert, first at Marston Moor in July 1644 and then at Naseby on 14 June 1645, led directly to the legal execution of a reigning monarch in British history (as far as I know), but it led to the creation of the Commonwealth of England in 1649, sometimes called the Interregnum. From 1653, Cromwell would become the effective leader of England, with the title of Lord Protector, and the Commonwealth years are sometimes described (slightly inaccurately, IMHO) as “the Protectorate”. Cromwell died in 1658, and his responsibilities were transferred to his son Richard, who proved to be inadequate to the task. This led to a decision by parliament to beg to recall Charles II, whose father they had beheaded only 11 years previously.

I have a great deal of respect for Cromwell, and sense he is captioned too flatly as a “Roundhead”, “Puritan” king killer; by the Irish he is seen in addition as a “butcher” for his Irish campaign after the death of Charles I. In truth, Cromwell was a member of just about the lowest level of polite society possible, and could trace his family back to the Thomas Cromwell who served Henry VIII. He was always an independent thinker, and was never, as I understand it, a Puritan. Early in his life he had correspondence with supporters of Arminianism, which is anything but Puritan or strict protestantism. He was close to 40 year old before a personal crisis led him to stricter, harsher Calvinist-type beliefs, and even then they didn’t run in parallel with the majority of sects we now lump together as “puritan”.

His Irish campaign (1649-50) was conducted on a combination of two (or, if you’re picky, three) bases: religion; support of the Stuarts; and the viciousness of the Civil War. The religious issue is obvious. Ireland, a feudal holding of England, did not adopt the Church of England under Henry VIII or Elizabeth, but held with the Roman rites. Under an Englsh parliament based around rigid protestant values, this made the Irish a mortal enemy. The Stuart monarchy and its loyalists were, of course, a very recently defeated enemy. Irish support for the losing side required some kind of retribution. In 1649, Cromwell was still an MP as well as a respected warrior. Parliament, in its wisdom, sent him (with an army) to quell (?) the Irish. Or, just maybe, to punish them. Many of the powerful land owners and aristocracy of Ireland (largely either absentee or near feudal lords who could commit their liege tenants to fight for anything the lords believed in) were in fact English, and had received their fiefs from the English Crown at one time or another. When the civil war came, they supported the Crown, and armed and organized their landed workers to head to England to fight for the Royalist cause. For a number of reasons, at least some of these troops behaved badly, raping and pillaging whether after battle or on the march. This was, of course, a perfect breeding ground for vicious and ugly slaughter as Cromwell’s troops (probably with Cromwell’s blessing) punished the Irish for losing a war most didn’t want to fight.

I could go on, of course. I can always go on. But the ECW and the roles of men like Cromwell and Prince Rupert need more study and less generalization than I have written. Nonetheless, may I remind MHOers – the longer-standing of us will remember – of John Barratt, an early MHO supporter and author of a number of ECW studies which probe just some of the issues still needing attention. John wrote primarily in the first years of this century. I can recommend at least two of the three volumes he has written:
Cavalier Generals: King Charles I and his Commanders in the English Civil War 1642-46, Pen & Sword Press (2004);
Cromwell’s Wars at Sea, Pen & Sword (2006).

Cheers
Brian G
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
6/13/2023 8:33:35 PM
Quote:

In quite a major way. Cromwell’s victory over Prince Rupert, first at Marston Moor in July 1644 and then at Naseby on 14 June 1645, not only led directly to the legal execution of a reigning monarch the first in British history as far as I know), but also led to the creation of the Commonwealth of England in 1649, sometimes called the Interregnum. From 1653, Cromwell would become the effective leader of England, with the title of Lord Protector, and the Commonwealth years are sometimes described (slightly inaccurately, IMHO) as “the Protectorate”. Cromwell died in 1658, and his responsibilities were transferred to his son Richard, who proved to be inadequate to the task. In effect, his death brought an end to the Protectorate, which ultimately led to a decision by parliament to beg Charles II, whose father they had beheaded only 11 years previously.

I have a great deal of respect for Cromwell, and sense he is captioned too flatly as a “Roundhead”, “Puritan” king killer; by the Irish he is seen in addition as a “butcher” for his Irish campaign after the death of Charles I. In truth, Cromwell was a member of just about the lowest level of polite society possible, and could trace his family back to the Thomas Cromwell who served Henry VIII. He was always an independent thinker, and was never, as I understand it, a Puritan. Early in his life he had correspondence with supporters of Arminianism, which is anything but Puritan or strict protestantism. He was close to 40 year old before a personal crisis led him to stricter, harsher Calvinist-type beliefs, and even then they didn’t run in parallel with the majority of sects we now lump together as “puritan”.

His Irish campaign (1649-50) was conducted on a combination of two (or, if you’re picky, three) bases: religion; support of the Stuarts; and the viciousness of the Civil War. The religious issue is obvious. Ireland, a feudal holding of England, did not adopt the Church of England under Henry VIII or Elizabeth, but held with the Roman rites. Under an Englsh parliament based around rigid protestant values, this made the Irish a mortal enemy. The Stuart monarchy and its loyalists were, of course, a very recently defeated enemy. Irish support for the losing side required some kind of retribution. In 1649, Cromwell was still an MP as well as a respected warrior. Parliament, in its wisdom, sent him (with an army) to quell (?) the Irish. Or, just maybe, to punish them. Many of the powerful land owners and aristocracy of Ireland (largely either absentee or near feudal lords who could commit their liege tenants to fight for anything the lords believed in) were in fact English, and had received their fiefs from the English Crown at one time or another. When the civil war came, they supported the Crown, and armed and organized their landed workers to head to England to fight for the Royalist cause. For a number of reasons, at least some of these troops behaved badly, raping and pillaging whether after battle or on the march. This was, of course, a perfect breeding ground for vicious and ugly slaughter as Cromwell’s troops (probably with Cromwell’s blessing) punished the Irish for losing a war most didn’t want to fight.

I could go on, of course. I can always go on. But the ECW and the roles of men like Cromwell and Prince Rupert need more study and less generalization than I have written. Nonetheless, may I remind MHOers – the longer-standing of us will remember – of John Barratt, an early MHO supporter and author of a number of ECW studies which probe just some of the issues still needing attention. John wrote primarily in the first years of this century. I can recommend at least two of the three volumes he has written:
Cavalier Generals: King Charles I and his Commanders in the English Civil War 1642-46, Pen & Sword Press (2004);
Cromwell’s Wars at Sea, Pen & Sword (2006).

Cheers
Brian G
DT509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
6/13/2023 9:00:50 PM
Quote:
Hi Dan,

BTW, when you were ranking the outfielders in your '30's project, what sort of criteria did you use to compare them? Sounds like an interesting project.

Cheers,

George

George, if I recall correctly, I rated offense stats as, AB, Hits, 2b, 3b, HR, RBI, Btg Avg, Slugging%, Strike Outs (the more SO's, the lower the point rating), etc, and ranked by their overall rating per category. Thus, if there were 10 outfielders in the ranking, the top ranking would be 10 pts for let's say most HR's, with the lessor amount of HR's receiving 1 point. Strike Outs, the player with the most at bat strike outs would attain 1 pt. Defensive stats are limited but I recall putouts, fielding pct, errors (a negative rating).

Pitching was W-L's, SO's, GS, CG, ERA, etc.

An extremely simple process but, it seemed to work as Averill was the only surprise and that was because I was unaware of him growing up, in other words I never had one of his cars or slurpee cups. LOL

Dan

scoucer
Berlin  Germany
6/14/2023 7:23:24 AM
Quote:

The death of Silvio Berlusconi - announced today - has made me reflect on the history of modern Italian politics and statesmanship; there’s something about Il Duce that makes recent leaders look like pygmies.

Regards, Phil

I was chatting with my old friend Dino, a Roman.

He said "Until yesterday everyone called him " mafioso , thief , young girl abuser, and so on; today he's dead suddenly all his enemies and his denigrators have become docile sheep ; incredible ; only in foreign channels there are some comments that speak the truth about what most of Italians truly think about him."

My wife and I were often in Milan. In 2006 we entered a back street Cafe for breakfast, far from the tourists. As the owners and locals found out I was from Liverpool (my Italian accent was not very good ), I was cheered, unarmed, and met with "Thank you, Thank you". They were all Inter Milan fans. The year before, Liverpool had beaten AC Milan (owned by Berlusconi) in the Champions League Final in what was probably the most dramatic Final of all time. Trailing 3-0 at half time, Liverpool came out in the second half and scored 3 goals in 15 minutes and winning on penalties after extra time. It was explained to me that "real" Milanese support Inter and that AC Milan fans are outside Italians and just "hangers on". They were grateful for another humiliation of "Il Porco" - the pig, which was their name for Berlusconi.

As for Italian politics, politicians and Leadership, I will once again Quote my friend Dino:

" It is hard to understand for outsiders. Those who go about their daily lives above the graves of emperors and Popes do not tend to take modern politics as serious as others. The aim of Italian politics is to produce as many leaders as possible so that Leadership can never emerge. This allows everybody to get on with their lives completely free of it. "

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
George
6/14/2023 7:33:40 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Dan,

Cheers,

George

George, if I recall correctly, I rated offense stats as, AB, Hits, 2b, 3b, HR, RBI, Btg Avg, Slugging%, Strike Outs (the more SO's, the lower the point rating), etc, and ranked by their overall rating per category. Thus, if there were 10 outfielders in the ranking, the top ranking would be 10 pts for let's say most HR's, with the lessor amount of HR's receiving 1 point. Strike Outs, the player with the most at bat strike outs would attain 1 pt. Defensive stats are limited but I recall putouts, fielding pct, errors (a negative rating).

Pitching was W-L's, SO's, GS, CG, ERA, etc.

An extremely simple process but, it seemed to work as Averill was the only surprise and that was because I was unaware of him growing up, in other words I never had one of his cars or slurpee cups. LOL

Dan

I was wondering how you would go about compiling defensive statistics or when MLB started keeping those stats.

George
George
6/14/2023 9:33:50 AM
RAF pilots Captain John Alcock and Lieutenant Arthur Brown took off from a field in St. John's, Newfoundland on June 14, 1919. They flew to Clifden, Ireland in the first trans-Atlantic non-stop flight. It took them 16 hours and 12 minutes to cover 1800 miles.

The Vickers had a fuel capacity of 3932 litres (865 gal) and a cruising speed of 144 km/h (90 mph)

The flight was harrowing as they flew through snow and fog and cloud to land in a peat bog in Ireland. They were flying a WW1 era Vickers Bomber that had been modified to allow it to cover the necessary distance.

Pioneers of flight and brave men from my point of view.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/14/2023 9:45:42 AM

Today on 6-14 in World History these events occurred! New posts welcome!??

1645 Oliver Cromwell, & his army defeat the Royalists! How did this effect Britain? Anyone?? Thanks Brian great post on it, good enough to post it twice! ☺

1777 US Congress adopts the Stars & Stripes as the US flag, today groups put words, & other colors, & things on the flag, is that right?? Comments?

1800 on today in history, Napoleon defeats the Austrians, & then today in 1807 he defeated the Russians, how much of Europe did he conquer? Anyone??

1811 Harriot Beecher Stowe writes Uncle Tom's Cabin, why did it cause such a stir in the Southern US?? What was it about? Do you see the conflict? Anyone??

1940 Hitler enters Paris, what did the French think of this?? Did Hitler rub it in the Frenchmans faces?? What's up with the passenger train car?? What say you??

1982 the Argentines surrender Port Stanley! Leading to Great Britain winning the Falkland Islands War! Was the entire Commonwealth involved in the victory? What say you about the Falklands War?? Comments, & websites welcome??

1940 First prisoners arrive in Auschwitz Concentration camp! How many prisoners were killed by the Nazis! Is this one of the worst episodes Genocide in history!? Comments??

Lots to discuss here?
Regards,
MD
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/14/2023 9:51:48 AM
Quote:

I was chatting with my old friend Dino, a Roman.

As for Italian politics, politicians and Leadership, I will once again Quote my friend Dino:

" It is hard to understand for outsiders. Those who go about their daily lives above the graves of emperors and Popes do not tend to take modern politics as serious as others. The aim of Italian politics is to produce as many leaders as possible so that Leadership can never emerge. This allows everybody to get on with their lives completely free of it. "

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

That would be good advice for Americans, everyone should get on with their lives free of politics! It's always been my philosophy! We would all be happier!

Thanks,
MD
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
6/14/2023 12:35:21 PM
Politics are how we avoid internecine warfare. Until we have something better let's keep trying to be less stupid.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/15/2023 7:20:07 AM

Today 6-15, in World history:

1215 King John seals the Magna Carta! What basically is in it? & How did King John gain such wisdom to issue the Magna Carta?? Anyone?

1775 George Washington in made commander of the Continental Army! He is held in high esteem by most Americans! Without Washington would the Colonists have prevailed?? Comments?

1844 Charles Goodyear gets a patent on the Vulcanisation of Rubber! How will this effect motored transportation? & the deforestation of the rain forest?? What say you??

1846 the US, & Great Britain sign the Oregon Treaty! Was it a fair treaty for both parties?? Comments?

1864 Arlington National.Cemetery is established! Was this meant to punish Robert E. Lee? How so? Was it fair??
What say you??

1944 the US Marines attack Saipan, how did the battle go? Was it neccessary? Comments anyone?

Again lots to discuss?
It would be nice if more members got involved!??

Cheers,
MD
OpanaPointer
St. Louis MO USA
6/15/2023 8:03:43 PM
What battles did GW win before the Revolution started? He was out west (relatively) for a good while, right?
George
6/15/2023 8:57:05 PM
Quote:
What battles did GW win before the Revolution started? He was out west (relatively) for a good while, right?

He was a member of the Virginia militia and under orders from British Governor Dinwiddie, Washington was sent to thwart the French on the other side of the Allegheny mountains. This is from memory now but as I recall, his actions at Jumonville Glen near the site of modern day Pittsburgh precipitated the French and Indian War. A French envoy named Jumonville was killed, some say assassinated under Washington's watch. Some will claim that Washington may have been the man who triggered the ensuing war.

Not long after the Jumonville event, Washington was in command at Fort Necessity and on July 4, 1754 he was forced to surrender to the French.

In 1755 (July 5) Washington was part of General Braddock's failed attempt to seize the French fort Duquesne at the Battle of the Monongahela. Braddock's campaign was a disaster but Washington distinguished himself by organizing an orderly retreat.

Later, Washington would lead on attack as a Lt. Col in the Virginia militia, and would finally seize Fort Duquesne. It would be renamed Fort Pitt. George expected a promotion but it wasn't forthcoming so he chose not to participate further in the French and Indian War.

George
Page 76 of 115 (Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75    76    77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115 )

© 2024 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC