MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(???? - 1799 AD) Pre-19th Century Battles
Author
Geelong
 Australia

Clonony Castle
Posted on: 9/9/2019 3:38:13 AM

Until yesterday afternoon I have been disappointed in the Castles in Ireland, but yesterday chanced upon Clonony Castle in Offaly. This is distinctive because it has not been modified too much in the Victorian era to make it more habitable, with bigger windows etc and retain most of its military features. The lady who owns it showed me through and I was very impressed.

To be fair it is a Tower house, but it has enough extras that I'd consider it a small castle. Apart from the tower house itself the immediate outbuildings were within a bawn wall incorporating a semi-circular turret. The outer bawn wall had guard houses at the two front corners and a stone gatehouse and a (now dry) moat along the west side.

I loved it! [Read More]
----------------------------------
“We are pretending to know about things we don’t know and pretending to not know things we’ve known til yesterday.” Douglas Murray.
George
Centre Hastings
ON Canada

Clonony Castle
Posted on: 9/9/2019 6:59:56 AM

Fantastic. I love these old castles in the UK and Ireland. We have nothing to compare on this side of the pond at least in terms of age. Some of the old priories are interesting as well.

Any ghost stories associated with Clonony Castle?

Confess Riain. What's been better, the whiskey tour or the castles?
RiaindeVoy
Geelong
 Australia

Clonony Castle
Posted on: 9/9/2019 12:08:15 PM

Apparently its the most haunted castle in Ireland, Anne Boleyn's sisters lived there, but I have no interest in that.

Whiskey vs Castles, mmmm. Well I already know something about castles, in theory of course so Clonony was confirming that. I knew nothing about whiskey, but had a sneaking suspicion that the whisky drinkers don't know anything either. Now I know something about whiskey and know that my friends don't know shit.
“We are pretending to know about things we don’t know and pretending to not know things we’ve known til yesterday.” Douglas Murray.
RiaindeVoy
Geelong
 Australia

Clonony Castle
Posted on: 9/11/2019 2:33:02 AM

I went to Trim castle yesterday, and what a difference there is between a tower house and the castle of a major lord. The barbican gate in the curtain wall was as big as the Tower House itself while the castle could fit maybe 4 tower houses and the curtain wall certainly can do more than keeping out cattle thieves.

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC