MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)
Oslo  
NATO military spending
10/22/2020 10:55:51 AM

The updated numbers on military spending in NATO have been released.

[Read More]

With Corona slamming GDP figures, the 2% objective is suddenly within reach for most countries, 10 are already surpassing it. Again, just shows how incredibly pointless the 2% target is.

I noticed in another thread that it was claimed that one reason Norway and Denmark can have generous welfare states is because they do not spend on defence. This is a myth that Republicans keep repeating, but that does not make it any more true. Both Norway and Denmark are in the top 10 military spenders in the world (not just in NATO) in terms of military spending per capita. In fact, Norway spends about 2/3 of what the US spends per capita, and is no 2 in NATO, and no 7 in the world. Should also be mentioned that the Nordic countries do not count military pensions in their defence spending, like for instance Greece and Turkey do to meet the 2% target...

Having said that, I would still like to see Norway double the spending up to about 4% of GDP, back to Cold War levels.

K

EDIT: Correction, I see Denmark is actually no 12 in the world now, but still no 4 in NATO (behind the US, Norway, UK) in terms of spending per capita.
----------------------------------
“My dear boy, as long as you don’t invade Afghanistan you’ll be absolutely fine.” - Harold Macmillan to Alec Douglas-Home upon the latter taking over as PM.
Lightning
Glasgow  UK
NATO military spending
10/22/2020 12:16:27 PM

Hi Kai,

I totally agree the 2% is a ridiculous measure. I'd prefer it if there was a way of measuring force projection/combat value. Ultimately that's what will count if and when the Russians decide to turn their cyber war into a hot one.

Cheers,

Colin
"There is no course open to us but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight to the end."
kaii
Oslo  
NATO military spending
10/22/2020 3:05:08 PM

Quote:
Hi Kai,

I totally agree the 2% is a ridiculous measure. I'd prefer it if there was a way of measuring force projection/combat value. Ultimately that's what will count if and when the Russians decide to turn their cyber war into a hot one.

Cheers,

Colin

Indeed. I suppose the 30/30/30 programme from NATO was an attempt at doing just that, but quite along way to go.

K
“My dear boy, as long as you don’t invade Afghanistan you’ll be absolutely fine.” - Harold Macmillan to Alec Douglas-Home upon the latter taking over as PM.

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC