MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)
Victoria BC Canada
Record Russian shipping.
12/29/2020 9:54:03 PM
Kai, you’ve got a lot to answer for!

Based on data as of 22 Dec, Russia exceeded its own expectations of 29 M tons, shipping some 32 M tons using northern (i.e.,) arctic routes in 2020. This, from the Barents Observer:Quote:
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/arctic/2020/12/shipping-northern-sea-route-breaks-record

Worth noting, IMHO, is that this is largely a western Russian Arctic phenomenon; easter arctic routes are still building but slowly.

For me this is interesting because the record shipping levels are announced despite the impact of COVID, which in a different publication I read today suggests Russia has admitted the third highest COVID rates (I assume, per capita) in the world. Add to that the announcement that Russia will build another nuclear-powered icebreaker, and suddenly the Atlantic is open year-round for traffic from Russia’s western arctic regions. In theory that would include all assets of the Northern Fleet. Members of which, in yet another article I spotted today (perhaps also in the Barents Observer) are receiving their second shots of COVID vaccine.

Maybe it’s only because the Observer is a regional news source, and perhaps choose what they offer to online subscribers, but I find myself trying to weave these semi-related news items into whole cloth.

Comments, anyone?

Chers. And stay safe.
Brian G
----------------------------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC