MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

Ordnance
Centre Hastings ON Canada
ceremonial rifle
1/20/2021 2:14:16 PM
I watched the US inaugural ceremony today and noticed that the honour guard was carrying a vintage rifle but I could not determine its make but I assumed that they were M1 Garands or Springfields. There were honour guard people from all the services I believe. Were they all carrying the same rifle?

I enjoy pomp and circumstance so little things like this interest me.

Cheers,

George
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
ceremonial rifle
1/20/2021 6:18:42 PM
Hi George,

From what I've learned, those were 1903 Bolt-action Springfield Rifles used even before WWI!? On the other hand some honor guards were updated to M1 Garands, I can only see part of the rifle so I'm not 100% sure? We could use a little help.here! Fellas!? Anyone?

Regards,
D
----------------------------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Brian W
Atlanta GA USA
ceremonial rifle
1/20/2021 7:27:50 PM
I believe the Air Force guy (the 2nd from the front) is carrying an M1.

This is interesting for the USAF:
Quote:
There are four different weapons housed in [the USAF honor guard] armory: the Springfield 1903, which is the primary weapon of Color Teams, the Garand M-1, used by the Drill Team and for presidential ceremonies, the Grand M-14, used by the Firing Party and the Ceremonial Flight, and finally, the Smith & Wesson .38 Cal. M-15 that serves as the Noncommissioned Officer's sidearm along with the Beretta Model 92F M9 that serves as the Armorer's sidearm.

"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow-being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn
George
ceremonial rifle
1/20/2021 10:21:40 PM
Brian, what is the difference between the colour team, drill team and the people who attend presidential ceremonies? Why would the Springfield be used by the Colour Team rather than the Garand M-1? I'm not military so please pardon my ignorance.

Cheers,

George
Brian W
Atlanta GA USA
ceremonial rifle
1/20/2021 11:37:40 PM
George, from what I understand, the Color Guard is for civic events and displays the "colors" (flags). Marching and synchronized marching. Think of marching in a parade.
The Drill Team is for precision and has complex maneuvers. Since I'm ex-USAF, here is a great presentation from the USAF Honor Guard Drill team [Read More]

If you ever get a chance to visit DC, the changing of the guard is at Arlington is must. I've brought each of my 3 kids to DC separately over the years and it's made a lasting impression on each of them.
[Read More]

I'm not sure why the difference between Springfield and M-1.
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow-being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn
George
ceremonial rifle
1/21/2021 9:22:44 AM
Great video. Recorded in Nova Scotia at the Tatoo.

I was wondering about injuries during training and wondering whether they substitute rubber bayonets during training. The officer who walked the gauntlet had to have a lot of faith in those men.

Thanks for the link,

George

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC