MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

Civil War - General
Toronto ON Canada
The Reason for the Civil War
12/29/2020 1:46:22 AM
I heard that the main reason for the Civil War was the moral issue of slavery. Is it, right? I'm a history lover plain reply to me.
----------------------------------
Historical places, news, and history lover.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
12/29/2020 7:15:57 AM
Slavery itself ?

The problem of race must be reckoned with.

If the slaves had been white, would there have been a civil war ?

I doubt it.

It’s a pleasure to encounter a new member . Welcome and have a Happy New Year !

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
12/29/2020 12:33:22 PM
Quote:
I heard that the main reason for the Civil War was the moral issue of slavery. Is it, right? I'm a history lover plain reply to me.

That's a complicated question to answer. Since the founding of the United States in 1776, there was an incremental separation of the fledgling
nation on many fronts. Slavery was definitely a common thread contributing to the division which eventually erupted 85 years later in 1861.

As the United States expanded westward and states were added, the South began to see its long-held political strength or power
in Washington, DC weakening. Due to industrialization and increased immigration in the North, slavery, which existed in all 13 colonies
in 1776, gradually ended in most of the North. The invention of the cotton gin by Eli Whitney in the 1790s, propelled the increased need
for cheap labor in those states where the highly profitable cotton could be grown. In 1790 there were more slaves in New York City than
there were in the State of Georgia. The cotton gin would change that.

Slavery was not needed out west and the South wanted the institution somewhat expanded (one slave state for every free state added) to
maintain its strength or at least have a voice in the Federal government. That was not going to happen. The war started over secession,
which I believe was fueled by economics and politics, not whether or not slavery was moral. As late as July 1862 Lincoln said the states in
rebellion could keep its slaves if they laid down its arms. If the war was over slavery, bear in mind four states loyal to the Union continued
to maintain slavery - Delaware, Missouri, Maryland & Kentucky. A fifth state - West Virginia, was added to the Union in June 1863, as a slave
state, over five months after the Emancipation Proclamation became effective, only freeing liberated slaves in the rebellious states.

I watched an interview with noted historian H.W. Brands yesterday. He said most Northerners were not abolitionists and felt threatened if the
slaves had been freed as it would cause lower wages, threaten social conditions, etc. If slavery was to end, a consensus was for the freed slaves
to be deported to Africa, or sent to Puerto Rico or Central America, an idea that Lincoln explored throughout much of his presidency.

States' Rights and tariffs play into the question as well. John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry in 1859 and the growing popularity of the newly created
Republican party and its abolitionist leanings pretty much sealed the deal by November 1860 when Republican Lincoln was elected President in a four-way
race and a divided Democrat party. I enjoy reading online the newspapers of the period which give me a feel for what the people were experiencing and
learning from available news sources. I'm leery of the spin applied to people of the mid 19th century when morals and ages old social customs are examined
by 21st century "historians" who want to view the past through a "modern" lens. I prefer to follow those that were actual participants during those times. In one
of his books Civil War historian James McPherson examined hundreds of war letters composed by both Union & Confederate soldiers, and extracted the reasons
and causes for which they fought. Unfortunately, I don't have his conclusions in front of me, but I recall the Union soldiers were fighting to preserve the Union;
and Confederates were defending their states and the right to export their crops abroad, and Lincoln's invasion forces only escalated the matter.

I doubt I've answered your basic question. I do not believe Lincoln raised 75,000 troops in April 1861 to free the slaves, but to suppress a growing rebellion and
preserve the Union he was charged to protect and keep intact. If freeing slaves was an objective, I doubt he would have been able to raise a formidable
force.

Best Regards,

Greg C. White
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
17thfabn
Ohio OH USA
12/29/2020 9:53:37 PM
Quote:
I heard that the main reason for the Civil War was the moral issue of slavery.

Yes undoubtable slavery was the reason for the Civil War. It is the reason the eleven states that would become the so called confederate states of America tried to succeed. The attempted succession due to slavery would lead to the war.
Withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy.
mikecmaps
CAMARILLO CA USA
12/30/2020 2:03:40 AM
Slavery was the root cause of the American Civil War. Yes there is a bunch of history to distract but that’s it. States like SC seceded because they believed Lincoln intended to abolish slavery. And while Lincoln did not really intent to as he said the house (USA) could not stand half free and half slave. And Davis and other fire-eaters demanded Secession and slavery and refused any alternative. By modern standards Lincoln, like most Americans of his day, held views that we today may consider as racist. Lincoln offered to buy the slaves (as one idea) slaveholders mostly refused. And slavery was not dying out it was mostly profitable which is why the south lagged in industrial investment, money was attracted to the land/slave business. One way to sift out Slavery as the root cause is the heated political discussion that occurred when the question of confederate slaves as soldiers came up. One common statement at the time was that if the policy for slaves as soldiers, and earning freedom, was adopted it went against the whole principle of secession and would prove that confederate session and independence was always wrong. This discussion was quite heated and emphatic and leaves little question Slavery was the root cause of the American Civil War. Sad that today many try to say on the one hand and on the other maybe slavery was not the cause or there were other issues like states rights. But the one state right that did cause the war was slavery – no slavery and there would have been no session and no war. Lincoln used emancipation as a war measure to defeat session and preserve the union. He also led the fight for the 13th amendment to definitely end slavery. It’s the one lasting legacy of the civil war that slavery itself was forever ended.
mikecmaps
Phil Andrade
London  UK
1/1/2021 6:07:42 AM
Quote:
Quote:
I heard that the main reason for the Civil War was the moral issue of slavery.

Yes undoubtable slavery was the reason for the Civil War. It is the reason the eleven states that would become the so called confederate states of America tried to succeed. The attempted succession due to slavery would lead to the war.

Our new government is founded upon....the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man ...

So declared Alexander Stephens.

It was the concomitant racism, the determination to uphold white supremacy, that rendered the institution of slavery in the South too difficult to deal with by peaceful means.

The British did not have this problem. Emancipation of black people in the West Indies was accomplished by financial compensation ; more significantly, in 1833, the fifteen million white British people did not live alongside the freed black people....they were more than a thousand miles away. Had about a million freed slaves been resident in Great Britain in 1833, I doubt that the thing would have been accomplished so peacefully.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
morris crumley
Dunwoody GA USA
1/1/2021 11:28:18 AM
A very good and logical point Phil. Thanks.
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC