MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

The Military Media Room
Muskegon MI USA
A New movie on the Battle of Midway, + more!?
6/30/2019 8:22:52 PM
Here is the trailer!

[Read More]

Comments,
MD
----------------------------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
dt509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
Re: A New movie on the Battle of Midway!
7/1/2019 12:34:46 AM

Quote:
Here is the trailer!

[Read More]

Comments,
MD
--Michigan Dave

I watched the trailer and I will admit I have concern H'wood may have mucked this up.

"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..." “If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford
morris crumley
Dunwoody GA USA
7/3/2019 12:55:57 PM
It wouldn`t be the first time.
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
scoucer
Berlin  Germany
7/3/2019 4:27:44 PM
Saw the trailer. I think I´ll be giving it a miss.

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
gettysburgerrn
massapequa NY USA
7/8/2019 6:45:03 PM
Ill stick with the original

ken
"You will find a great many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view...." Obi Wan Kenobi
Brian Williams
Atlanta GA USA
7/8/2019 9:31:21 PM
It’s says upfront that it’s Independence Day meets WWII. . It’s a rental in my book. Good cast though. I’ll definitely watch.

Honestly, in this time of revisionism, I’m glad we’re not the bad guys with Pearl Harbor and Midway. So I’ll take it!

The salute in the preview was correct salute. That's a +1 for it.
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow-being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
7/8/2019 10:26:28 PM
What's the issue here? That the new movie isn't accurate? That it doesn't reflect the reality of the battle? That it belittles US actions?

What is Brian W focusing on when he talks about "this time of revisionism"?

Anybody ever watched Beyond the Fringe's "Aftermyth of war"? It's a sixty-year-old product that is timeless, and talks about the reality of war. I offer the following, which I hope works as a link. It is a two-part presentation. Not quite the original version as I know it, but I think a brilliant commentary on the reality of nationhood and reality in a time of war. There are two parts to this video. They're both worth hearing:
[Read More]

Just to be pedantic as hell about this, there was a Battle of Midway, fought between US and IJ forces. The US was successful, but at severe cost. The US was successful, despite serious issues concerning tactics, timing, capability and other issues. That's the reading I've known for about the past 50 years. So if there is revisionism, what is the issue?

Cheers
bg
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Brian Williams
Atlanta GA USA
7/8/2019 11:01:17 PM
Oh goodness Brian. So serious again. I made the post tongue-in-cheek.
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow-being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn
DT509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
10/12/2019 4:48:18 PM
I just watched a new TV trailer on this movie and it looks at best appallingly DC Comic like! I suspect anyone who has a love of history will walkout from the theater wanting their $$ back.

Sad, with the movie technology we have today, the story of the Midway battle could have been in the mold of Band of Brothers or The Pacific.
"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..." “If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
Re: A New movie on the Battle of Midway, + more!?!
10/13/2019 7:10:42 PM
Here is a multi-trailer on all the new history movies of 1919! Any good ones??

[Read More]

Pass the popcorn!
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Brian W
Atlanta GA USA
10/17/2019 6:52:44 PM
Quote:
I just watched a new TV trailer on this movie and it looks at best appallingly DC Comic like! I suspect anyone who has a love of history will walkout from the theater wanting their $$ back.

Yeah, probably, it reminds me a little of a Top Gun production (Pearl Harbor, Independence Day, etc). Which they admit it is. I like it! This is blatantly Hollywood special effects and it's not pretending to be anything it's not. Know what you're getting into and hopefully they don't mess up the facts. I'll be interested in seeing. Remember, it's not aimed for our generation. If I can get my 15 year old son to watch it and it's got basis in fact, then it's good in my book. I don't care about the hollywooding of it. It's not meant for us.
DT509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
11/10/2019 2:24:55 PM
Movie review from the Army Times, and I quote!

Quote:
If you shell out your hard-earned money to see this film, you are spoiling your own life and ruining the joy of those in your company. Use the 2 hours, 18 minutes to instead do something more enjoyable, like repeatedly smashing your face into a wall.

DIALOGUE
Listening, painfully, to the dialogue of this film, I couldn’t help but imagine a movie production setting in which the crew is conferring with a chimpanzee who has just begun learning American Sign Language.

SPECIAL EFFECTS / SOUND

This got off to a shaky start with the Pearl Harbor sequence. Visuals and sound were so unconvincing that the sudden emergence of Optimus Prime from a Hawaiian volcano shouting, “USS Arizona, roll out!” would not have come as a surprise.

DETAIL, SHMETAIL

The most ordinary of details that could be researched via Wikipedia with a .23 second Google search proved to be too much of an ask for the production crew of a movie based on the battle that turned the tide of the entire war in the Pacific. Just look at some of these post-movie “facts” that were shared on screen:

Lt. Clarence Earle Dickinson, Jr. received three Navy Crosses, “the Navy’s highest award for combat." It takes nothing to discover this is incorrect.
For bombing two carriers in one day, Dick Best “won” a Navy Cross. Won?

Finally, the last on-screen wording says, "This film is dedicated to the Americans and Japanese who fought at Midway.”
The same fanatical Japanese military who killed over 40 percent of American prisoners of war or used prisoners for rifle and bayonet target practice?
(My emphasis)

And finally, Quote:
Save your money for Sam Mendes’ World War I film, “1917,” which is set for a limited Christmas Day release before hitting theaters nationwide on Jan. 10, 2020.

If the film is as bad as the author makes it out to be and as bad as it appears to be in the trailers;

morris crumley
Dunwoody GA USA
11/10/2019 5:21:25 PM
The big funding behind this film is from the Chinese. They loved the idea of film where Japanese get the crap kicked out of `em.

From the trailers..it looked more like "Madden`s Midway Game 2019."

Respects, Morris
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
11/10/2019 10:43:55 PM
I'm not likely to want to watch the movie, and I'm not much interested in assessing the movie. But given what I'm reading from you folks, I've got to mention that at least a couple of British news sites have crucified the trailers (or maybe the movie!) I haven't gone in to read the reviews, but when the heads contain runs of negative words like "wooden, fake, fraudulent US jingoism" I have to assume something went wrong!

Midway was an incredible battle, with a lot of questions about tactics. Raymond Spruance seems to me to be the most underrated Admiral of the Pacific naval war. The suicidal bravery of many naval pilots is worthy of song. This was a decisive naval battle. Period.

So how can they get it so wrong? How can they screw it up so fully? Are they really suggesting that the true story can be improved?

Cheers
bg
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
11/11/2019 3:55:05 PM
The new movie on Midway a side, check out the strategy that won the Battle of Midway! Comments??

[Read More]

What say you??
MD
George
Centre Hastings ON Canada
11/11/2019 5:38:32 PM
Despite warnings from movie critics that this was not a very good movie, it still managed to top the box office receipts for the weekend.
So I think that when it finally comes to my local, I will take it in anyway. See for myself.
Ciscokid
Long Island City NY USA
11/13/2019 11:15:54 PM
I have seen the movie and it tries to cram to much into the movie and leaves out a number of historical important figures; Admiral Fletcher, CMDR Max Leslie and possibly a number of others. Battle scenes were good, but they should have concentrated on a limited number of events; it was spread way to thin.
"If the cause be just and honorable, I am prepared to give my life for it." - Henry V
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
12/2/2019 8:25:30 PM
Am I replying to an old member who has rejoined MHO. Are you the same Ciscokid who was around 10 years ago and then disappeared?

The eleven posts confused me for a moment. I look forward to your posts!

Cheers
bg
Jim Cameron
Ossining NY USA
10/19/2020 2:51:20 PM
The movie turned up on TV here a while ago, and I finally got around to watching it. It was actually better than I expected, in a "popcorn movie" sort of way. Entertaining enough, if you don't ask for too much in the way of historical accuracy. I do give it credit for getting the ships and equipment right. I enjoyed seeing Astoria class heavy cruisers in the background, as opposed to "Pearl Harbor" with its guided missile frigates mixed in with the old battleships. Quad 1.1" AA guns, older destroyer classes. I'm not sure the rear gunners in the Dauntless dive bombers accounted for quite as many enemy planes as the movie shows, but, action is action. All in all, watchable, especially when you don't have to pay for a ticket.
Jim Cameron Every time I go to Gettysburg, I learn two things. Something new, and, how much I still don't know.
borderstates
Lafayette LA USA
10/19/2020 7:28:06 PM
It was a movie. It had plenty of action. It highlighted the actions of one pilot that many knew little about. I liked it. It did what I expect of a movie. It was close enough not to be a distraction. It had booms enough to keep my eyes on the screen. The plot was developed enough that I could enjoy the intellectual aspects of it.

I think that if a movie was detailed and accurate to the standards of MHO, it would be 48 hours long and would draw an audience of some hundreds with a production costs of a B2 bomber. Watch them both, in any order, back to back and you get a feel for the battle. In this world, we can do much worse with attention spans equal to tsetse flies.

Respectfully yours, Mike OUR DEBT TO THE HEROIC MEN AND VALIANT WOMEN IN THE SERVICE OF OUR COUNTRY CAN NEVER BE REPAID. THEY HAVE EARNED OUR UNDYING GRATITUDE. AMERICA WILL NEVER FORGET THEIR SACRIFICES. President Harry S Truman
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
10/20/2020 12:07:52 AM
I’ve got a daughter in the film business. I don’t watch films. If I want facts/information/opinion, I read.

I’ve got a daughter in the film business. If I want entertainment, I watch films. Or other entertainment shows. I don’t expect even a suggestion of reality, though some shows make the pretence.

Haven’t seen the new movie about Midway, and probably won’t. It’s unfair to expect a work of fiction to provide me with more accurate info than I can get by reading about it. I already know the plot line, and don’t need reuired human elements to make it “palatable”.

Cheers. And stay safe.
Brian G

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC