Home / Civil War Genealogy / Virginia / 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry
22nd Battalion Virginia InfantryCSA Flag
Company Unknown
George Asbury Hypes
- Private
George Asbury Hypes and two of his brothers Jacob Lewis and John Madison Hypes, all born in Giles Co., Va., joined the 1st Kanawha Regiment, a Confederate militia regiment, which eventually was merged into the Va. 22nd Infantry.
Contact Name: Randy Murphey
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 1/31/2013

Company A
George Marion Banner
Rank Unknown
No comments
Contact Name: Matthew Banner
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 7/13/2017

Company A
Thomas Jefferson Banner
Rank Unknown
No comments
Contact Name: Matthew Banner
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 7/13/2017

Company A
Temple Irving Claiborne
- Sergeant
2nd Serg’t Temple Irving Claiborne, & History of Co. A, 22nd Va Inf Battalion
(1861 – 1865)

The following information was derived from transcripts and official rolls of: The 87th Regiment of Virginia Militia; The 2nd Virginia Artillery; The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion; Confederate States of America; the Department of Virginia; and the Quartermaster of the Army of Northern Virginia.

The 22nd Infantry Battalion was organized with six companies of the 2nd Regiment, Virginia Artillery.
Company A (Captain Thomas E. Burfoot's Company) (formerly Company A, 2nd Regiment, Virginia Artillery)
39 former men of Company K, 2nd Regiment Virginia Artillery who re-enlisted in May 1862, were
assigned to Company A when the 2nd Virginia Artillery was disbanded.
Company B (Charlotte and Lunenburg Artillery). Initially organized in December 1861 and reorganized in 1862.
Reported to have formerly been Company B, 2nd Regiment Virginia Artillery. Captains were Armistead
W. Baily, John T. Grymes, John A. Tucker and William C. Winn.
Company D (Captain William Green Jackson's Company (formerly Company C, 2nd Regiment Virginia Artillery
Company E (Captain Robert Samuel Elam's Company) (formerly Company E, 2nd Regiment Virginia Artillery)
Company G (Captain James C. Johnson's Company) (formerly Co. G, 2nd Regiment Virginia Artillery) about 42 men
of Company I, 2nd Regiment Virginia Artillery who re-enlisted were assigned to Company G
Company H (Captain John S. Bowles' Company) (formerly Company H 2nd Regiment Virginia Artillery)

It served in Field's, Heth's, and H.H. Walker's Brigade, and fought with the Army of Northern Virginia from Cedar Mountain to Cold Harbor, then was involved in the Petersburg siege south of the James River, Battle of Sailer’s Creek and the surrender at Appomattox. It reported 7 casualties at Cedar Mountain, 22 at Second Manassas, 27 at Fredericksburg, and 29 at Chancellorsville. Ten percent of the 237 engaged at Gettysburg were disabled.

The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion fought in more than forty-two engagements during its service. The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion was assigned to Jackson's Corps, Hill's Light Division, having been first placed in Pender's Brigade (2nd Arkansas, 16th North Carolina, 22nd North Carolina, 34th North Carolina, and 38th North Carolina). Around the middle of June 1862, the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion was reassigned to Brockenbrough's Brigade, and on June 27, 1862 had its first smell of powder in line with the 40th, 47th, and the 55th Virginia Regiments at Gaines Mill. Field commanded the Brigade in this action.

1862 February 07 - Enlisted – 2nd Corp – Co K, 2nd Regt Virginia Artillery
Captain James C. Hanes Company – Gravel Hill, Buckingham Co., Virginia

1862 May 23 - Re-enlisted – Co A, 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion
Captain Thomas E. Burfoot’s Company – Richmond, Virginia
1862 June 01 - General Ambrose Powell Hill’s Light Division officially denominated
1862 June 01 – General Robert E Lee took command of the Army of Northern Virginia
1862 June 25 – Seven Days Battles (June 25 to July 1, 1862)
1862 June 26 - Battle of Mechanicsville – 1st of Seven Days Battles. 2 killed 11 wounded
1862 June 27 - Battle of Gaines Mill. 8 killed 20 wounded
1862 June 30 – Battle of Glendale. 2 killed 24 wounded
1862 July 01 - Battle of Malvern Hill.

Report of Actg. Adjt. Thomas Smith, Twenty-second Virginia Battalion, of the battles of Mechanicsville, Gaines’ Mill, and Frazier's Farm (Nelson’s Farm, or Glendale).

Hdqrs. [Twenty-second] Virginia Battalion,
July 13, 1862.
Sir: Subjoined you will find a report of the part taken by the Virginia Battalion in 'the late engagements before Richmond:
This battalion, under command of Capt. J. C. Johnson, left camp on the Meadow Bridge road on the evening of June 20, and after crossing the Chickahominy marched in the direction of Mechanicsville, where, a portion of the brigade being engaged, the battalion, though not brought into action, was held under fire from the enemy's batteries for several hours, and, in consideration of the fact that the men had never before been under fire, they acted coolly. Our loss on this day, June 26, consisted of 2 killed and 11 wounded.
On Friday, June 27, we marched from Mechanicsville to Cold Harbor, where the enemy again made a stand. Here we were engaged for several hours, opposed to, perhaps, the strongest position of the enemy's lines. Here we lost 8 killed and 20 wounded. From this time we remained on the battle-field until Sunday, the 29th, when we recrossed the Chickahominy at New Bridge and followed the enemy until he made a third stand, on the evening of June 30.
Here the battalion was again engaged, and lost in killed 2 and wounded 24; among the killed one of our best officers, Lieut. E. A. Jackson, commander of Company D.
Tuesday, July 1, we were held in reserve, and though led to the field, our services were not necessary, and we were not engaged.
After Tuesday, the 1st instant, we marched with the army as far as Crenshaw's farm, on New Market road, and after remaining there several days resumed the march on the 8th instant, and arrived at our present encampment, Farrar's farm, on Wednesday, the 9th.
The battalion probably acted as well as might have been expected, being without a battle-flag during all the engagement.
Total loss in killed and wounded, 67; 1 missing, supposed to be killed or captured.
Respectfully submitted.
Acting Adjutant.
Capt. G. F. Harrison.

Report of Brig. Gen. William D. Pender, C. S. Army, commanding Sixth Brigade, of the battles of Mechanicsville, Gaines' Mill, and Frazier's Farm {Nelson's Farm, or Glendale).

Richmond, Va., July 16, 1862.
General: I have the honor to report that, as a part of the Light Division of the Army, I left my camp near Friend's house, on the Chickahominy, Wednesday afternoon, June 25, with my brigade, and marched to a point near the crossing of the Chickahominy, on the Meadow Bridge road, where I joined the division.
Upon resuming the march next day my brigade was placed fifth in order, so that after crossing late in the afternoon I was ordered to cross the field direct for Mechanicsville to meet the brigades in front that were making the march by the road. Soon after leaving the Meadow Bridge road one or two pieces of artillery were opened upon us from a wood directly above Mechanicsville. I at once deployed into line of battle, bringing up one section of Andrews' battery. My line was then advanced and the enemy's artillery soon withdrew.
Here, owing to my imperfect knowledge of the roads and partial misleading of the guide, my left regiment went too far to the left, and consequently did not join the brigade until late at night, for while it was coming up after being sent for it was ordered by someone to support another brigade; and I would here mention it was reported to me as behaving well under a very murderous fire, to which it was soon exposed, losing about 200 men. This was the Sixteenth North Carolina, commanded by Lieut. Col. John S. McElroy.
Upon reaching Mechanicsville I was ordered by you to support General Field. I at once made my dispositions to do so, but soon found that by taking the direction General Field was going [it] left his right much exposed to a heavy fire of artillery, which was playing at the same time on Pegram's battery with great effect. This artillery was obliquely to the right and lower down Beaver Dam Creek than I saw any troops going. I at once changed the direction of two of my regiments, so as to bring them to the right of this artillery, and succeeded in getting within 150 or 200 yards of it before we were opened upon, but when they did open upon us it was destructive, and the obstacles so great in front, the creek and mill-dam, that after the Thirty-eighth North Carolina had reached these obstacles, and within less than 100 yards of the enemy's rifle pits, they had to fall back. This regiment here advanced boldly and maintained its ground well. The Thirty- fourth North Carolina—the other regiment that had been led by me to the right—had made too much of a detour, and did not come up until the Thirty-eighth had been repulsed. After bringing it up I sent it farther to the right, to make as much diversion as possible in that direction.
General Ripley at this time came up with his brigade, advancing over part of the same ground which had been passed by the Thirty-eighth North Carolina, directly in front of the mill. The Thirty-fourth North Carolina advanced to the creek and there maintained its position until after dark, when I had it withdrawn, so that with this and General Ripley with part of his brigade we held the extreme right of our position until about daylight next morning, when I was relieved. General Ripley had been relieved before.
Other brigades came up during the night. The Twenty-second North Carolina, which had followed to support General Field, when getting to the creek near him, came suddenly upon a regiment of the enemy, just across the run, and after some little parley opened fire, driving the enemy quickly away, but found it impossible to cross. The loss of this regiment here was also very heavy; among others its brave Colonel(Conner) received a severe wound in the leg.
I should state, while relating the incidents of this day's fight, that Colonel Hoke (Thirty-eighth North Carolina) was also wounded and had to leave the field. The adjutant of the Thirty-eighth was wounded also, but nobly maintained his position until after dark.
At daylight on Friday morning I had changed my position in obedience to your orders, bringing my brigade directly in front of the mill on Beaver Dam Creek. About this time the enemy seemed to make a faint attack upon the troops on my right, when those brigades moved forward, and I moved mine forward also until they had gained the creek, getting in the bed of it. Here our line was halted until a general concert of action could be had, by which their attention might be diverted to the extreme right from those in the immediate front. At this time I brought up a section from each of three batteries I found in the plain in the rear; one of these was from the Donaldsonville Artillery, under Lieut. V. Maurin, who shelled them with spirit and effect, his men being exposed to a galling fire from the enemy's
sharpshooters, not 200 yards off in the rifle pits. The section of Andrews' Maryland Battery was under Lieut. William F. Dement, who also did fine service. Captain Andrews, as usual, was present, chafing for a fight. I do not know to whose battery the other section belonged.
We moved forward soon after, crossing the run and mill-race with great difficulty. The Thirty-fourth North Carolina, Col. Richard H. Riddick, was the first to gain the enemy's works, but they had a few moments before left under cover of their rifle pits. I should here mention that a part of Andrews' battery was engaged the evening before assisting Pegram's battery. After crossing the creek we marched down the Chickahominy, not meeting the enemy until we reached Gaines' Mill, who opposed the right brigades of the division. I here brought up two sections of Andrews' battery, under Lieutenants Dement and Dabney, who shelled the enemy with considerable effect. We again moved forward, crossing at Gaines' Mill. Soon I was ordered by you
to pass to the right and throw out skirmishers, and, if possible, surround the enemy, who were lower down the stream. We drove them off, but they retired upon their main body. Here again a portion of Andrews' battery was brought into play, with the desire to draw fire from the enemy's artillery and to show us its locality, but failed to do so. Through the misconception of an order by Colonel Riddick his regiment had not come up, and I found myself weak and asked for support. General Archer was sent forward, and I ordered to support General Branch farther up the road.
I found Colonel Riddick at the forks of the road near Cold Harbor, and my brigade was at once ordered into action, I formed into line of battle and moved into the wood to the right of the right-hand road, finding only the enemy and a fragment of one of our regiments. We were soon hotly engaged, and drove the enemy slowly before us for about 250 yards. My brigade had started in weak, and suffered heavily here, and seeing fresh regiments of the enemy coming up constantly, I sent my aide. Lieutenant Young, to ask for support. Two of my regiments, Sixteenth and Twenty-second North Carolina, had gained the crest of open ground, getting into the enemy's camp, but, finding themselves
flanked, fell back, which caused those on the left, who were not
so far advanced, to fall back also. About this time Col. C. C. Lee, Thirty-seventh North Carolina, who had been sent to our support, came up. My men were rallied and pushed forward again, but did not advance far before they fell back, and I think I do but justice to my men to say that they did not commence it. The enemy were continually bringing up fresh troops, and succeeded in driving us from the wood.
My men here fought nobly, and maintained their ground with great stubbornness. The left were subject to enfilade fire from musket and cannon.
It was now nearly night, and here ended the part taken by my brigade, except so far as Lieutenant Young, my aide, was concerned, for he, not being satisfied with fighting as long as his general, went back, and remained principally with General Ewell until the battle was closed. I would here state that Lieutenant Young acted both on this day and the day previous with the most heroic bravery and coolness. Words fail me in expressing my admiration of his conduct through the whole
of the Chickahominy battles, I here lost Colonel Green, my volunteer aide, which was irreparable. He was an accomplished officer, and won the highest praise for his noble conduct. He was a noble man lost on that glorious day. Lieutenant Hinsdale, my acting assistant adjutant-general, was also of great service and deserves the highest praise.
Before going farther I must particularize a little. Lieut. Col. J. S. McElroy, commanding Sixteenth; Lieut. Col. E. H. Gray and Maj. C. C. Cole, Twenty-second, acted with great courage and judgment, leading their regiments forward promptly and with determination, not halting for a moment until they found the enemy in their rear. Colonel Riddick was here wounded, leaving his regiment without a field officer.
Up to this time I had lost my volunteer aide, killed; my three colonels, wounded; also three adjutants, wounded, and Lieutenant Young, slightly wounded on the side of the head.
The Thirty-fourth, Colonel Riddick, lost in this short fight between 20 and 30 in killed.
Sunday we crossed the Chickahominy, marching down the south side of the river.
Meeting the enemy again on Monday evening, my brigade, after being in direct range of the enemy's shell for some time, was ordered forward, and went in rear of Kershaw's brigade—at least his men were coming out from my front as we went in. Reaching the farther side of the field, on the right, at the junction of the Long Bridge and Darbytown roads, we came in contact with the enemy once more. Here, just as my brigade was getting under fire, a regiment of the enemy bore down at double-quick in our front, passing from right to left, apparently
not seeing us. When in our front, about 75 yards off, our men
fired a volley into them and scattered them in every direction. In our front was a fine battery of rifle pieces that had been abandoned, but they were apparently trying to regain it, as we had quite a skirmish near it. They continued to make efforts here to flank us. They had quite a force upon my right, which was several times pushed forward.
General Field, I have since learned, was a long way in front, but the enemy were in considerable force between us, if I am to judge from the stand they made. At this position I left a few men to hold the flank and pushed forward the rest well into the woods, and but for the untimely failure of ammunition would have captured many prisoners. They were in considerable disorder, but were still too strong to be attacked with what few men I had, most of whom were without ammunition. We here soon forced a battery, which had opened upon our right, to limber up and leave. They evidently, from what I saw and from what I heard from prisoners, had a strong force within a few hundred yards of these batteries.

Dark coming on, I withdrew my men to the edge of the woods, holding our ground and the batteries taken. I had but a handful of men, but succeeded in getting two other regiments I found near (of General Field's brigade, which he had withdrawn), posting them so as to hold the front, while I held the right flank. I subsequently led forward one of these regiments, and ordered it to move in such a direction as to flank a force which seemed to be hotly engaging a part of our troops on the left of the road.
After making these arrangements I found that General Archer was on the right flank and on my right. This ended the fighting of my brigade in the late operations before Richmond, for, although ordered into action next evening, we did not get in, owing to the lateness of the hour, the thickness of the wood, and my ignorance of the relative position of our forces.
My aide, Lieutenant Young, had two horses shot under him in this engagement, and then took the colors of one of the regiments, leading it promptly and well to the front. Lieutenant-Colonels McElroy and Gray—the latter assisted by Major Cole—displayed their usual boldness in leading their regiments to the front.
The Thirty-eighth North Carolina here, as on Thursday, behaved well.
I would mention that the Thirty-fourth North Carolina on Friday behaved with great credit under a heavy and murderous cross-fire, and here let me mention that Lieutenant Shotwell, Thirty-fourth North Carolina, cannot be spoken of too highly for his gallant conduct; for he was not satisfied to take the colors, [but] seized the color-bearer and rushed him to the front, thus encouraging the regiment to move forward at a very critical moment. There are numerous instances of noble conduct by members of my command, but space would fail to mention all, and I will leave the result of their efforts to show how most of them did.
I am forced to say that we bad too many cases of shameful and disgraceful desertions of their colors.
Here I would mention the loss on Thursday of a most competent and gallant officer, Maj. W. N. Bronaugh, of the Second Arkansas Battalion. With his death ceased the battalion, as far as was concerned its usefulness on the field.
My total loss in killed and wounded was about 800. The brigade left camp on the evening of the 25th with between 2,300 and 2,400, including Andrews' battery, thus showing a loss of one-third of my entire command.
Andrews' battery behaved on all occasions with conspicuous coolness and bravery. Their loss was, however, slight.
The service has lost for a time, if not permanently, an invaluable and accomplished officer in Col. James Conner, Twenty-second North Carolina. Colonels Hoke and Riddick—the former wounded on Thursday, the latter on Friday—were great losses to me.
In conclusion, I would mention Mr. Goldman, an independent, with the Thirty-eighth North Carolina, who acted with the most conspicuous bravery and courage, also great capacity. He should be rewarded.
I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
Brigadier-General Sixth Brigade, Light Division.
Maj. Gen. A. P. Hill,
Commanding Light Division.

July 9, 1862 The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion returned to the vicinity of Richmond. For three weeks, they camped eight miles below the city in relative quiet. But this peace was broken on June 29, 1862 when the unit was ordered aboard trains bound for Gordonsville. The Battalion was to follow in the wake of Jackson's Army to the field of Cedar Mountain.

1862 July 28 - Absent sick.
1862 August 09 - Battle of Cedar Mountain. 7 killed
1862 August 17 – Admitted to Chimborazo Hospital No. 3, Richmond, Va.
Dysentery. Transferred to private quarters.

CHIMBORAZO GENERAL HOSPITAL An extremely large hospital facility constructed after the outbreak of war and first opened 17 October 1861. It was on land that is now generally embraced into the municipally-owned Chimborazo Park. About the present streets of Clay on the north, 30th on the west, 34th on the east, and the bottom of the hill on the south. The main headquarters building of Richmond National Battlefield Park, Department of the Interior, stands in about the middle of the old hospital grounds. Named for the hill on which it was located which was named after Mount Chimborazo in Equador. One of the largest of all military hospitals up to its time. Normal occupancy was about 3000. It had about 120 buildings in all. Those for patients were divided into five divisions. It had its own ice house, soup house , bakery, soap factory, etc. , operated its own farms, beef and goat herds, canal trading boat. Divisions were designated for Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, Maryland, at beginning, but names varied at different periods. Medical staff about 45. Had natural springs. It claimed to have handled 17,000 wounded cases. A report of July 1862 gives:

Division Capacity Occupancy
#1 270 260
#2 290 258
#3 350 273
#4 300 418
#5 260 174
Total: 5 1470 1345
Dr. James B. McCaw, surgeon-in-chief.

August 20, 1862 the force of General A. P. Hill's (Hill) Light Division helped to turn the tide in the Confederacy's favor at Cedar Mountain and on Brockenbrough’s Brigade embarked on to Second Manassas Campaign.

August 27, 1862 early a.m. The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion reached Manassas Junction in time to have a part in the looting of stores and weapons from captured Federal trains.

August 29, 1862 Brockenbrough’s Brigade was involved in its first major fight. The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion along with the rest of its Brigade and was stationed along an unfinished railroad cut, at the right side of General Hill's divisional line. That morning and the afternoon, the Battalion was involved in skirmishing with several Yankee Brigades. The highlight being a charge made against a Union Battery and its capture. In this action the Battalion faced the Brigades of Schurz and Ferrero. Brockenbrough was attacked by Stevens and Kearny, coming away considerably worst for it.

August 30, 1862 The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion initially lay in reserve, but sometime between 2:30 and 3:15 p.m. the Brigade received urgent orders to reinforce the center of the line. The Brigade reached this point as the Confederate line broke, but Brockenbrough's men mounted a counter charge which shattered the Federal force. The men of the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion rested until September 3, 1862 when they marched for Leesburg, Virginia.

September 4, 1862 The Brigade reached the Potomac crossing at Whites Ford on the following day. The water was said to have been at least four feet deep and cold.

The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion was in Maryland for the first time of the war. At Williamsport the Brigade re-crossed the Potomac to participate in the assault upon Harpers Ferry.

General Robert E. Lee's report states that General Jackson ordered General Hill to turn the enemy's left. General Hill observing a hill on the enemy's extreme left occupied by infantry without artillery and protected only by abates and felled timber. General Hill directed General Pender with his Brigade and those of General Archer and Colonel Brockenbrough to seize the crest which was done with slight resistance.

In about two hours the Federal garrison consisting of more than eleven thousand men, surrendered. The records show: the booty consisted of seventy cannons, two hundred wagons, five hundred horses, a mountain of ammunition and weapons, as well as three hundred runaway Negros. Leaving General A.P. Hill to receive the surrender of the captured Federal troops and to secure the Federal property; General Jackson took his two other divisions and set out for Sharpsburg.

Once General Hill had completed his assigned duties at Harpers Ferry, his division along with the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry, marched toward the struggle taking place around Sharpsburg, MD. They were making a torturous trek up and down the foothills of Western Virginia.

September 29, 1862 – Returned to duty.

October 26 through November 10, 1862 it is estimated that the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion had marched 155 miles, averaging 14 miles per day, during operations in the counties of Loudon, Faquier and the Rappahannock.

December 2, 1862 The Brigade arrived in Fredericksburg, Virginia.

December 13, 1862 The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion was in line of battle near Hamilton’s Crossing.

Lieutenant Walker, with fourteen pieces of artillery, was posted near the right supported by the 40th and the 55th Virginia Regiments of Field's Brigade (now commanded by Brockenbrough). Lane's Brigade, thrown forward in advance of the general line, held the woods which here projected into open ground. Thomas' Brigade was stationed behind the interval between Lane and Pender. Gregg's Brigade was in the rear of that line between Lane and Archer. These two Brigades with the 47th Virginia Regiment and the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion, constituted General Hill's reserves.
Attacked on the front and flank two regiments of the former Brigade, after a brave and obstinate resistance, finally gave way. Archer held his 1st Tennessee Volunteers and with the 5th Alabama Battalion, assisted by the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion along with the 47th Virginia Regiment, continued the struggle until reinforcements arrived.

Colonel Brockenbrough reported that the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion along with the 47th Virginia Regiment became separated from the 40th and 55th Virginia regiments. Colonel Brockenbrough reported: “The fact that only two regiments were actively engaged was accidental and unavoidable. The woods through which we passed being dense
and filled with troops, the rapid run of the leading regiments soon separated them from the brigade.”

'The second line came promptly to the support of the first. Lawton's Brigade, Trimble's Brigade, Early's Brigade, and the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion, and the 47th Virginia Regiment of Colonel J.M. Brockenbrough's command, were already rushing with impetuous valor to the support of the first line'. Quote; Lieutenant General T.J. Jackson

1862 December 13 - Wounded - Left Arm – gunshot – Battle of Fredericksburg, Va.
1862 December 15 - Wounded – Left Shoulder – Shell fragment– Furloughed 30 days
General Hospital No. 8 (St Charles hospital) Richmond, Va.
GENERAL HOSPITAL #8 Also called: Saint Charles Hospital. Formerly the building of Saint Charles Hotel. Opened as early as July 1861. Cost partially borne by the City of Richmond. Had 460 patients on 13 August 1861. Was open as late as fall-1863. H.A.Dudley, superintendent. Built in 1846 on site of ancient Bowler's and Bell taverns. 12 Location- northeast corner of Wall [l5th] and Main Streets, facing Main. Present site of Main Street Railroad Depot parking area .

Headquarters Field's Brigade,
December 21, 1862.

Major: I have the honor to submit the following report of the action of this brigade in the late battle near Fredericksburg:
Stationed upon the extreme right of our division, we remained in this position until the concentrated forces of the enemy passed through a gap in, and reached the rear of, our lines. There being no enemy in our immediate front, and reinforcements being called for, I withdrew my command from its first position and hurried as rapidly as possible to the point indicated. We moved up by the left flank, and so urgent and repeated were the calls for reinforcements that my two leading regiments, viz: Forty-seventh Virginia, Colonel Mayo,
and the Twenty-second battalion, Colonel Tayloe, the only regiments actively engaged, advanced in a run, separated themselves from the brigade, passed well to the left and encountered the enemy in rear of our front lines, about midway between Generals Archer and Lane.
Firing one volley into their left flank and charging them with a yell, they fled precipitately to the shelter of the railroad cut. Here they rallied and made a short stand, but, being joined by a Georgia brigade,(Lawton's, I believe,) we made a second charge,- which drove them from the railroad. Here the men were ordered to halt, but such was their impetuosity that much the larger portion of these two regiments advanced to the position which had been occupied by two of the enemy's batteries, which they found deserted. Being unsupported, they were, of course, compelled to retreat, which was done under the most galling fire of grape, canister and minie balls.
The fact that only two regiments were actively engaged was accidental and unavoidable. The woods through which we passed being dense and filled with troops, the rapid run of the leading regiments soon separated them from the brigade, and, while they passed well around to the left, the remainder of the brigade only marched by direct line to General Archer's left, who was said to have been flanked. Driving the enemy from the woods was a task of short duration, and the troops engaged were completely successful in driving back the enemy before the remaining regiments, a few minutes behind them, could come to their assistance.
During the fight several of the enemy's mounted officers were shot down, and the colors of one regiment were seen to fall four times.
It affords me much pleasure to mention the good conduct of Colonels Mayo and Tayloe and the officers and men under their command.
The valor and daring of the men was unprecedented. Many of
them were fighting in sight of their homes and seemed determined to drive back the enemy at all hazards.
Our loss was considerable, being about twenty per cent, of the troops actively engaged.

Very respectfully, your obedient obedient servant,
Colonel commanding Brigade.

Winter of 1862 The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion camped about fifteen miles from Fredericksburg, Virginia. Brockenbrough's Brigade fared well during this winter, using the time to recover from the campaigns of 1862.
March 23, 1863 Captain J. L. Powers, Assistant Quartermaster of the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion received:
40 pairs of socks @ $1.00 per pair
94 pairs of drawers @ $1.25 per pair
37 pairs of shoes @ $5.00 per pair

The invoice was signed by Major DeShields of Heth's Division at Camp Gregg. On that same day Captain Powers requested; four mules, two sets of wheel harness, and two sets of lead harness.

April 29, 1863 Brockenbrough’s Brigade broke camp and marched to Hamilton’s Crossing, Virginia. Surroundings were familiar to the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry, as it was the ground that the unit had defended during the battle of Fredericksburg. The men slept on their arms that night.

April 30, 1863 the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion rebuilt their entrenchments from the past year. That night, the men again slept on their arms, but moved out the next morning with the rest of the Brigade bound for a meeting with the Federals at Chancellorsville, Virginia.

May 2, 1863 General Jackson set his famous flank march into motion, following narrow roads and encountering thick woods, new spring growth, and thick vines which hampered the movement of his men. The march covered twelve miles on this difficult terrain. Around 4:30 p.m. Brockenbrough's Brigade formed for an attack. About an hour later, the assault began and the enemy was routed.

The Confederate advance continued until nightfall. The Confederates eventually halted about one mile from the crossroads known as Chancellorsville, where the Federals had stopped to make their stand.

Both armies dug in for the evening and sporadic firing continued on both sides. During this engagement, General Jackson was wounded in the arm and hand. He was accidentally shot by Confederate soldiers of the 18th North Carolina. Taken from his horse (little Sorrel) General Hill held 'Stonewall' and called for a stretcher. The 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry was nearby and came running. An officer and four men made a litter that the stricken General Jackson was placed upon and was then carried by Captain Lee, Lieutenant Smith and two Privates, one of
whom was Private John J. Johnson, Company H, 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion.

Meanwhile the Union artillery commenced, indiscriminate fire flew through the woods. The four men had no more than adjusted the load when the forest was swept with canister and minie balls. One of the litter bearers, Private John J. Johnson of Company H, 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion, was then wounded, gunshot in left arm, and fell. The litter bearing General Jackson hit the ground hard. After some confusion the litter was picked up by an officer of the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion (no report of his rank, he was just wearing bars) and once again the group headed toward the road. Again canister swept the area. This time the deadly missiles hit the right rear litter bearer and again the litter went down. The next attempt finally brought the stretcher to the road. General Hill was wounded sometime later and General Heth was put in charge of the division.

1863 May 03 - Wounded – Right Shoulder – gunshot – Battle of Chancellorsville, Va.

May 3, 1863 The Brigade formed a line of battle on the right of the Orange Plank Road. The 40th and the 47th Virginia Regiments were right beside the road, and the 55th Virginia along with the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion was left of the road. Brockenbrough’s Brigade was supported by the famous 'Stonewall Brigade'. In the following assault the Stonewall Brigade was repulsed, falling back on Brockenbrough's line.

In the midst of battle, the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion lost its Battle Flag. Lieut. Col. E. P. Tayloe, reports the loss of the flag of his battalion, with the following circumstances attending it:
“After standing the fire of the batteries intrenched in the front of Chancellorsville, and before which three brigades had to fall back, together with the fire of the enemy’s infantry, until very nearly one half of my command was either killed or wounded, I gave orders for the battalion to fall back across the road, under the hill. Since the time the order was given to fall back, I have heard nothing from the color bearer, who had the colors with him. I heard that a wounded man reported him as having stopped to assist him, and, while doing so, he was taken prisoner, together with one of the color guard, who is also missing.”

Chancellorsville Park Historians (as of 25 Feb. 2010) claim that the 4th Ohio captured the 22nd Va. Inf. Batt. Battle Flag.

L. W. CARPENTER, Lieut. Col. Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Cmdg. Regt. reported:
“…My regiment was not actively engaged except on the 3d. It went into action with 19 commissioned officers and 353 enlisted men. Our losses were 2 commissioned officers, slightly wounded; killed, 1 sergeant, 1 corporal, and 12 privates; wounded, 5 sergeants, 5 corporals, and 43 privates; missing, 4 privates. Total killed, wounded, and missing, 73. We captured 1 stand of colors and 68 prisoners, among whom were 1 major, 2 captains, and 4 lieutenants. On driving the enemy from his position, several hundred prisoners, previously captured by him, were enabled to make their escape.”

Pender's North Carolinians then tried to take the same portion of the Federal earthworks but met with no success. Colonel Brockenbrough's units then waited for order to rush the entrenched Federals. But through a communications blunder only the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion, and the 55th Regiment advanced. 'They charged the whole of Hooker's army alone.' In the dense undergrowth it was hard to see the sister units and by the time that the 40th and 47th Virginia Regiments caught up, the little Brigade faced twenty-nine pieces of artillery. With little hope of success, they charged up a hill and to their surprise drove off the Federal defenders.

Lieutenant Colonel E. P. Tayloe, described as “our small party.” Small though the unit was, its losses at Chancellorsville, suffered mainly on the battle’s second day, were extremely heavy. Tayloe reported, “…when we
computed the damage, we ascertained that of 102 men carried in by the battalion, we lost in killed, wounded, or
missing, about 45.”

Chancellorsville was no doubt one of General Lee's greatest victories as it was for the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry. Numbering no more than one hundred and two men at the time, the 22nd Battalion lost nineteen members killed and twenty three wounded, for a total of 42 and is one of the highest unit losses at Chancellorsville.

Brockenbrough’s Other Losses:
40th Virginia - 14 killed and 73 wounded
47th Virginia - 4 killed and 48 wounded
55th Virginia - 20 killed and 90 wounded

1863 May 27 – Admitted Chimborazo Hospital, No. 1, Richmond, Va. Diarrhea.
1863 June 01 - Returned to duty
1863 June - Promoted to Corporal.

June 4, 1863 with its ranks growing thinner, the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion would never be the same again. The Battalion started to march north at about 2 p.m.

June 26, 1863 they entered Pennsylvania. Spirits were high as the men were taking this war to the enemy. Brockenbrough's Brigade numbered no more than '800 muskets' at this time.

1863 July 01 - Battle of Gettysburg

July 1, 1863 had dawned calm and clear but the fog of battle had long since settled on the land as the Brigade moved across Willoughby Run, a small stream west of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

Regrouping on McPherson's Ridge in preparation for an assault upon Stone's Federal Brigade (composed of the 143rd, 149th, and 150th Regiments of Pennsylvania Volunteers), the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion’s line stood before a small pond facing the right side of a white-washed barn.

The 150th Pennsylvania retreated slowly and suffered heavy losses. Brockenbrough's Brigade pushed Stone’s Federal’s from this field with bitter casualties of its own, losing 148 men. Brockenbrough's Brigade captured two stands of colors in this action.

The Brigade was mauled and probably should not have been used on the third day of fighting July 3, 1863 especially on the flank.

The battle now raged around the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion. After the initial shock of the first Federal fire, the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry saw the situation would not improve, but yet they still went on. Around this time, with artillery pounding them from all sides and Union muskets to left front, the 8th Ohio Regiment completed a maneuver which allowed it to charge the left flank of the Brockenbrough's Brigade. This was the last straw and the Brigade began a withdrawal from the field. Colonel Mayo's report says; 'The difficulties came about simply because of its location. On the extreme left and entirely unsupported, our Brigade was the last to leave the field after the flags of every other Brigade had disappeared.'
July 3, 1863 is the day most often remembered for 'Pickett's Charge' 15,000 seasoned veterans in the Army of Northern Virginia, pressed their lines to assault the Union center following one of the greatest cannonades of the war. As the artillery barrage ceased at approximately 3 o'clock, farewells were made and the orders 'Forward! Common Time! March!' was given.

The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion and the 40th Virginia Regiment moved out with the rest of the Division. The 47th and the 55th Virginia Regiment's stood fast as Colonel Mayo could not be found. The officers decided to go on without him and had to force their men into a run so as to catch up with the 22nd and 40th.

The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion and the rest of Brockenbrough's Brigade could not have been so awe-inspiring, however, after some of the hardest fighting many had ever seen, on the first day the Brigade barely numbered '500 muskets.'

The Brigade formed the extreme left flank of the assaulting force. On they marched into an increasing fire. The little Brigade was an inviting target, being the 'exposed left flank' and took terrific losses. From the time they came within cannon range, shells plowed up the earth and cut great gaps in the ranks. But still the little Brigade dressed right and moved ahead. Davis' Brigade, on Brockenbrough's right, received almost no fire. Twenty-nine pieces of Artillery were sighted on Brockenbrough's front, but still they pressed on.

Passing the burning structures of the Bliss farm and entering rifle range the Brigade halted in a swale for a minute or two to dress its line. This proved to be enough time, however, to convince some members of the battle line that the front was no place to be. An understandable conclusion after these men had experienced 50% losses at Second Manassas and Chancellorsville.

The battle now raged around the 22nd. After the initial shock of the first Federal fire, the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry saw the situation would not improve, but yet they still went on. Around this time, with artillery pounding them from all sides and Union muskets to left front, the 8th Ohio Regiment completed a maneuver which allowed it to charge the left flank of the Brockenbrough's Brigade. This was the last straw and the Brigade began a withdrawal from the field. Colonel Mayo's report says; 'The difficulties came about simply because of its location. On the extreme left and entirely unsupported, our Brigade was the last to leave the field after the flags of every other Brigade had disappeared.'

July 4, 1863 Colonel Christian of the 55th Virginia wrote that the Brigade 'advanced a considerable distance beyond General Pettigrew's left.' The battle ended on a particularly sour note for the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion. More casualties for the men to grieve, more letters for the tired Captains to write home, they still had a long march home still ahead. Spirits could not have been lower as the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion withdrew from Gettysburg with the rest of Lee's army. It was raining and the tired men now had to trudge through mud. The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion had three members killed and twenty one wounded at Gettysburg.

July 13, 1863 The battered 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion was ordered out for picket duty along with the rest of its Brigade, sporadic skirmishes ensued. The men of Heth’s and Pettigrew’s Brigades were headed for the pontoon bridge at Falling Waters Virginia. Since July 7, 1863 the two Brigades had been the Army of Northern Virginia’s rear guard and rest had been scarce.

July 14, 1863 The Brigade was two miles short of their goal. The men were ordered to form a line of battle with Brockenbrough on the right, and Pettigrew on the left. No skirmishers were sent out and the men rested on their arms.

Sometime around 11 o'clock, the men were roused by rifle fire to their front. A detachment of fifty Federal cavalrymen attacked and were shot down or captured, along with their colors. There were only two Confederate casualties, one being that of General Pettigrew.
At noon, the Federals tried again with a larger body of dismounted cavalry and artillery support. They charged directly at Brockenbrough's Brigade but were repelled. General Hill was at this time withdrawing across the river, and Colonel Brockenbrough chose to accompany him. His aide, Wayland F. Dunaway, was left in charge. The Brigade began to lose ground slowly faced by an advance of the 8th Illinois Cavalry. Another Federal Cavalry unit soon joined this advance, and Dunaway called for a retreat. This retrograde movement was hampered by unfamiliar terrain and mud, however. And many gray soldiers were captured, including Dunaway. Further the 40th, 47th, and the 55th Virginia Regiments lost their colors.
1863 July 14 - Missing in action. Captured – Falling Waters, Maryland.

Although the men of Brockenbrough's Brigade liked their Brigadier, Brockenbrough’s performance at Gettysburg and at Falling Waters led to Hill passing him over to promote Walker to Brigade command for this reason and what he described as the poor condition of the Brigade.
Camp near Bunker Hill, Va,
July 20 1863
Dear Sir,
Col Brockenbrough 40th Va Regt has tendered his resignation for reasons which he will explain.
In parting from Col Brockenbrough I am doing but justice to him when I say that on the hard fought
field of Chancellorsville and the still more severe fights around Gettysburg he led his Brigade with
marked and conspicuous gallantry.
Col Brockenbrough commanded Field’s old Brigade late my own and now Gen H. H. Walker’s in all
the Battles from the 2nd Manassas until the last engagement of my portion of this Army, he fought at
Falling Waters when I formed a portion of the force under my Command which covered the crossing
of our Army over the Potomac.
I am sure I only expect the opinion entertained by Col Brockenbrough’s several commanders when I
say that he has displayed always on the battle field more than usual gallantry.
I am sir,
To Very Respt
His Excellency; Yr Ob Servt
Jeff Davis H. Heth Majr Genl
President of The Confed States.
1863 July 23 – Arrived Old Capital Prison (Washington, D.C.)

1863 August 09 - Arrived Pt. Lookout POWC.

1863 September to October – Mustered absent – Prisoner.

1864 March 03 - Paroled and exchanged.

1864 March 15 - Issued clothing.

1864 April 6 - a member of the 47th was executed. It was described as an 'effective scene'.

1864 April 15 - Issued clothing.
1864 April 16 – Paid 1 month Private @ $11.00 a month.
9 months Corporal @ $13.00 a month. Total: $128.00

April 21, 1864 still another member of the 47th was shot before the Brigade.

May 4, 1864 Regimental drill was scheduled for 11 o'clock but the Federals began crossing the river and by 2 o'clock, the Brigade was marching out on the Plank Road. The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion slept on their arms during the night at Mine Run.

1864 May 5-6 – The Wilderness

May 5, 1864 At Dawn, the men marched into what is known as The Wilderness. A line of battle was formed on the Orange Road with Walker's Brigade on the right flank of the skirmishers. The 40th Virginia regiment was sent out toward the Brock Road and emerged from the woods.

1864 May 8-21 - Battle at Spotsylvania Court house.

May 12, 1864 Burnside's Ninth Corps moved to attack Mayo's command at Heth's Salient. Lane's Brigade, on the right of Mayo, observed the enemy's intentions and flanked Burnside, causing him severe damage. General Early recalled that the enemy 'got up within a very short distance of a salient defended by Walker's Brigade under Colonel Mayo before he discovered, as there was a pine thicket in front, under cover of which the advance was made. A heavy fire of musketry from Walker's Brigade drove the enemy with heavy losses leaving his dead in front of our works. This affair took place under the eye of General Lee himself. Mayo's men also took several stands of colors.' After which The 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry received a welcome rest. It lost many good men and the unit had not been re-supplied.

1864 May 23-26 - Battle at North Anna

1864 May 23 – 27 - The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion threw up earthworks in sizzling heat still detached from Hill's Corps.

1864 May 26 -

To the Editors of the Dispatch:

Report of casualties in the 22d Battalion Va. Infantry, Lt. Col. E. P. Tayloe, since the 5th inst.

Field and Staff — Wounded: Major J. S. Bowles, slightly.

Co. A, Capt J. F. Tompkins, commanding — Killed; Private Wm. A. Wilbourn. Wounded: Sgt. Henry P. Bass. Corp. John W. Mosely, Privates Thomas W. Davidson, Sam. H. Phillips, Daniel Wilson, John R. Williams.

Co. B, Capt W. C. Winn, commanding — Wounded: Privates Wm. J. Roach, B. D. Thompson, Lucius T. Ward, Aug. J. Price, J. Q. A. McKinney. Missing, Corp. Joseph L. Dalton, Private H. J. White.

Co. D, Lt. T. H. Hatcher com'g — Wounded: Private S. C. B. Thompson, Geo. E. Bennett, Jas. E. Tucker. Missing: Privates M. A. Reese, Jno. Kearney.

Co. E, Lt. H. T. Wilkinson com'g — Wounded: Sergt Geo. E. Wilkinson; private Jno. Harris. Missing: Lt. H. T. Wilkinson, supposed killed.

Co. G., Lt. A. J. Leftwich com'g — Wounded: Privates Wilton P. Carneal., F. T. Jenkins, J. E. Miner, Jno. C. Slaughter, Jno. W. Williams. Missing: Ensign Samuel S. Anderson.

Company H. Lieut Judson M. Kent commanding, Wounded: Privates M. J. Overstreet, Wm. D. Porters. Missing: Privates Jas. W. Tallon, Jno. J. Tallon, A. L. Brown.

10th inst, near Wade's Shop, and 11th inst, at Spotsylvania C. H.

Field and Steff.--Wounded: Lt. Col. E. Poinsett Tayloe.

Company A.--Wounded: Private Peter Ashbrook.

Company B.--Killed, Corporal J. F. Smithson. Wounded: Private P. C. Hailey.

Company D.--Wounded: Lieut W. W. Tutor, mortally (died sinner); private R. W. Egell.

Company C.--Killed; 1st Serg't Robt H. French, private H. J. Meadow.

Th. Smith, Adj't.
Enquirer and Whig please copy.
The Daily Dispatch: May 26, 1864. Richmond Dispatch. 2 pages. by Cowardin & Hammersley. Richmond. May 26, 1864.

June 2, 1864 brought more action around the entrenchment’s which the Brigade had put up around Mechanicsville, Virginia with Federals to their front, Heth moved his men to the left of Rhodes and together, they charged the enemy successfully. Their opponent was Burnside once again and over one hundred prisoners were taken. “All this with no protection on the Confederate left flank.” At this time, the remnants of Archer's Brigade were classified as part of Walker's and in view of Walker's disability; the 13th Alabama's Colonel Birkett Davenport Fry was put in command.

1864 June 03 – Pvt. Thomas A. Claiborne - Wounded – Right Arm – gunshot – Cold Harbor, Va.

1864 June 04 - Pvt. Thomas A. Claiborne - Admitted to Chimborazo Hospital #1, Sent to Farmville G.H.

June 4, 1864 saw Heth's division rejoin Hill's Corps at Gaines Mill. It was placed on the extreme right flank. The 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry dug in and rested during the constant skirmishing.

June 12, 1864 the Federals left their positions and the Confederate army was again obliged to move in pursuit.

June 19, 1864 The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion reached Petersburg and began entrenching in a heat that took a heavy toll of its members.

June 25, 1864 The Battalion marched out of the trenches bound for the Bermuda Hundred and General Pickett's right flank.
1864 July 15 - Pvt. Thomas A. Claiborne - Furloughed for 60 days.
Post Office: Gravel Hill, Buckingham County, Va.

The month of July was spent with the strain of trench life, constant skirmishing and the heat.
September 29, 1864 Squirrel Level Road
September 30, 1864 Jones’ Farm
October 1, 1864 Pegram’s Farm
October 2, 1864 Harman Road
1864 October 18 - Pvt. Thomas A. Claiborne - Ordered back to his command.

October 24, 1864 Archer died, never to see his plan take effect. Sometime in August or September of 1864, the 2nd Maryland Battalion was sent to join the Virginians, Tennesseans, and Alabamians. When the Virginians were sent to Richmond, the 2nd Maryland went with them and the Brigade then consisted of the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion, 40th Virginia Regiment, 47th Virginia Regiment, 55th Virginia Regiment, and the 2nd Maryland Battalion.

Late November 1864 the high officials of the Confederacy reached a decision concerning the consolidated Virginia Brigades and it was broken up.

December 7, 1864 the four original Virginia units packed their sparse gear and marched away from the lines the next day. Conditions for marching could not have been worse. It would rain, then hail, and then snow. The men crossed the Nottoway River, and near Jarrett's Station threw down their blankets for a dismal night of shivering.

December 8, 1864 the next morning the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion marched in the cold rain to Jarrett's Station. The men were suffering acutely. The Federals were not there, having moved off because the weather was so disagreeable. Upon arriving at the station, the Brigade found it burnt to the ground. With the lack of shelter they moved on to Susan Court House, about three miles from Garret’s Station, and bivouacked.

December 13, 1864 as the Federals had left, the men marched 100 miles over six days retracing their frozen footsteps back to their campsite only to find that their tents were gone, they were again without shelter!

December 24, 1864 - Confederate States Army, Walker's Brigade, Special Order, 1864. 1 item. Photocopy. Mss12:1864 December 24:1. A copy of special order no. 316, 24 December 1864, issued by authority of Robert E. Lee concerning the movement of Henry Harrison Walker's brigade (the 40th, 47th, and 55th Virginia infantry regiments and the 22d Virginia Infantry Battalion) from Petersburg to the north side of the James River. The order is signed by Lee's aide, Walter Herron Taylor (1838–1916).

December 25, 1864 The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion and her sister units marched from the south side of the James River to its north bank. They replaced Bushrod Johnson's Brigade as supports to the heavy artillery guarding Chaffin’s Bluff. Walker's Brigade was now so depleted that it was pulled from front line duty.

1864 December 31 - Issued clothing.

The Confederate Government in December of 1864 had ordered the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry to be disbanded and its members distributed to other units. But the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion remained with her sister units to retain its designation despite official notices.

January to April, 1865 - Defense of Petersburg, Va.

January 9, 1865 The Brigade received the 25th Virginia Infantry Battalion, also known as the City Battalion, because it was composed of Richmond men, and a new commander, General Seth M. Barton of Fredericksburg. The Brigade stayed at Chaffin’s Bluff (37.423519, -77.398390) throughout the winter.

March 28, 1865 – Message from Maj. General G’ Weitzel to Lieut. Gen. U.S. Grant
March 28, 1865—4.40 p. m.
Lieut. Gen. U. S. Grant,
City Point:
Deserters of last night on my front report the same thing, but that leaves Mahone's division between the Appomattox and James, and Custis Lee's command, three brigades of Kershaw's division, and Field's division north of the James. The total force of the enemy at this moment north of the James is as follows: Custis Lee's command, about 2,000, composed of the following: Eighteenth Georgia and Eighteenth, Nineteenth, Twentieth, Tenth, Twenty-fifth, Fortieth, Fifty-fifth, Forty-seventh, Twenty-second Virginia Battalions; Kershaw's three brigades, about 1,450; Wofford's brigade, 600; Bryan's brigade, 450; and Humphreys' brigade, 400; Field's division, 3,935 men; Bratton's brigade, 1,325; Benning's brigade, 700; Law's brigade, 710; Anderson's brigade, 900; Gregg's brigade, 300. Total north of the James, 7,385 men.
Major- General,

April 2, 1865 the garrison was given orders to vacate Chaffin’s Bluff (37.423519, -77.398390), and the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion; the 25th Virginia Infantry Battalion; the 40th, 47th, & 55th Virginia Regiments; and Crutchfield's Artillery were designated as Custis Lee's division.

April 3, 1865 the artillerymen had no pieces but had been given rifles. The withdrawal of Barton's 1,300 man Brigade from Chaffin’s Bluff began about midnight, and the Confederates proved stealthy enough to evade detection by Union pickets. The wagons had been sent ahead for a rendezvous farther along the route of march but the division never saw them again. The march was tiresome and to complicate matters, refugees from Richmond clogged the line of the march. At this time, defense troops from Richmond were added to the division along with an unusual Naval Brigade. By early evening the division reached Tomahawk Church to spend the night.

April 4, 1865 brought rain and at dawn the march was resumed along the refugee-choked road. At 4 o'clock p.m., the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry reached the bridge across the Appomattox River. It took some time to go over this bridge, as it was under repair. The Federals were closing in. Two miles from Amelia Court House, the division turned to face the enemy. A hot short fight took place. This was around 9 o'clock p.m. and there was much confusion. The men then marched throughout that night. The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion had received no rations since starting its march four days earlier.

April 6, 1865 - Battle at Sailer’s Creek

April 6, 1865 Now down to five hundred members due to straggling and desertion, the Brigade crossed Sailers Creek at 3 o'clock p.m. They marched up the slope beyond the creek to erect breastworks and watched as the enemy closed upon their position. After a brief skirmish, General George Pickett became heavily engaged. The 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion and her sister units were posted in the center of Pickett's line with Crutchfield's cannonless artillerymen, and the Naval Brigade to their right. Robert Stills' men were on the left. Confident of their superior numbers, the Federals attacked only to be beaten back by the determined Southerners. Stills' men actually charged the retreating 'Yankees'!
The Federals rallied however and launched another assault which crushed the Confederate line. During the assault, the Battle flag of the 25th Battalion Virginia Infantry was captured by private Frank Miller, Co M, 2nd N. Y. (Harris’s Light) Volunteer Cavalry, 1st Brigade, 3rd Cavalry. Division General Custer Commanding. The outcome was inevitable. The Confederates were surrounded. The surrender was made.

The battered Battalion ceased to be a military organization during the late afternoon of April 6, 1865.
April 9, 1865 General Robert Edward Lee surrendered The Army of Northern Virginia to General Ulysses Simpson Grant at the home of a Wilbur McLean in Appomattox Court House.

Appomattox Court House, Va., April 9, 1865.
Gen. R. E. Lee:
General: In accordance with the substance of my letter to you of the 8th instant, I propose to receive the surrender of the army of Northern Virginia on the following terms, to wit: Rolls of all officers and men to be made in duplicate, one copy to be given to an officer to be designated by me, the other to be retained by such officer or officers as you may designate; the officers to give their individual paroles not to take up arms against the government of the United States until properly exchanged, and each company or regimental commander sign a like parole for the men of their commands. The arms, artillery, and public property to be parked and stacked, and turned over to the officers appointed by me to receive them. This will not embrace the side-arms of the officers, nor their private horses or baggage. This done, each officer and man will be allowed to return to his home, not to be disturbed by United States authority so long as they observe their paroles and the laws in force where they may reside.
U. S. Grant, Lieutenant-General.
Department of Richmond:

Lieutenant General Richard S. Ewell (captured April 6),

Lieutenant Colonel Thomas J. Spencer (1,450?)
G. W. C. Lee's Division: Major General G. W. C. Lee
(captured April 6)
Barton's Brigade: Brigadier General Seth M. Barton
(captured April 6)
22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry (13) Paroled April 10
25th Battalion Virginia Infantry (25)
40th Virginia Infantry (9)
47th and 50th Virginia Infantry (Consolidated) (7)

1865 April 10 – Surrender at Appomattox Court House – Only thirteen men of the 22nd Virginia Infantry
Battalion were left at the surrender. Serg’t. Temple Irving Claiborne and his brother,
Pvt. Thomas A. Claiborne were paroled and afterwards they simply walked 32.5 miles
home to Cold Comfort, Gravel Hill, Buckingham County, Virginia.

The 13 paroled Soldiers of the 22d Va. Batt. at Appomattox:

Name Rank / Company Where Buried
Claiborne, Temple Irving 2nd Serg’t, Co. A, 22d Va. Batt. Cold Comfort, Buckingham Cty, Va.
Claiborne, Thomas A. Pvt, Co. A, 22d Va. Batt. Mexico
Mann, Baker W. Pvt, Co. A, 22d Va. Batt. Ettrick Cemetery, Chesterfield, Va.
Horse and equipments.
Nunnally, Richard H. Pvt, Co A, 22d Va. Batt. Perdue Cemetery, Chester, Virginia
Chappele, Frederick J. Pvt, Co D, 22d Va. Batt. Zion Cem, Mecklenburg Cty, Va.
Hurt, Lewellen M. Pvt, Co E, 22d Va. Batt. Columbian Grove, Lunenburg, Va.
Mitchell, Andrew R. Pvt, Co E, 22d Va. Batt. Prince George County, Virginia
Holt, George W. Pvt, Co G, 22d Va. Batt. Powhatan County, Virginia
Horse and equipments
property of
Surg William R. Weisiger.
Mahon, W. L. Pvt, Co G, 22d Va. Batt. Unknown
Puller, William G. Pvt, Co G, 22d Va. Batt. Hollywood Cem, Richmond, Va.
Rice, J. A. Pvt, Co I, 22d Va. Batt. Unknown
Walker, J. W. Pvt, Co I, 22d Va. Batt. Unknown
Winn, Joseph H. Pvt, Co I, 22d Va. Batt. Oakwood Cemetery, South Hill,
Mecklenburg County, Virginia

The men of the 22nd Virginia Infantry Battalion can stand proud.
Their record of valor was unsurpassable.


2nd Serg’t. Temple Irving Claiborne
1844 to 1915

1915 Oct 21 - Deceased – Buried at Cold Comfort Farm, Gravel Hill, Buckingham County, Va.
with family and several unnamed slaves.
My 2nd Great Grandfather - Thomas O. Claiborne – 16 Mar 1809 to 26 Feb 1892
My 2nd Great Grandmother Laura Ann Garnett – 8 Aug 1821 to 29 July 1901
My Great Grandfather Serg’t Temple Irving Claiborne – 18 Jan 1844 to 21 Oct 1915
My Great Grandmother Martha Elizabeth Scruggs – 20 June 1844 to 14 Nov 1902

Obituary of Temple Irving Claiborne
Another grave has been added to the old Claiborne burying ground, near Dillwyn, and our boyhood friend and brother, Temple I. Claiborne, sleeps well. He carried his gun in the
Sixties with confidence and patriotism for his dear Virginia, but when the struggle was over he returned to the care and devotion of his parents and sisters. He was blessed with a
splendid manhood and a social and friendly disposition, and as he became master of the farm and the old home, he also nursed the weft and warp of friendship that made him popular as citizen, friend and brother. His friends were his delight and the stories of the long ago awakened the impulses of his tender heart and proved him manly under all conditions. He was a born gentleman of fine and cultured birth. He was a member of the Dillwyn Lodge and in every sense true. He married Miss Pattie Scruggs, a fine woman who died several years ago, leaving an interesting family of sons and daughters now grown. To them and his dear sister, Laura, the light and hope of his home, we extend our sympathy. Bro. Claiborne was long a member of the Methodist Church and was buried by the Dillwyn Lodge.

Contact Name: Ted Kinker
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 3/13/2011

Company A
Thomas A. Claiborne
- Private
My Great Uncle.
Contact Name: Ted Kinker
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 7/18/2013

Company A
Robert Moss
- Private
Originally joined the 2nd VA Artillery, Robert Moss is my great grand uncle and brother of William R. Moss. Robert Moss was a teamster.
Contact Name: Gregory Moss
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 1/22/2018

Company A
William R. Moss
- Private
Originally a private in the 2nd VA Artillery, William R. Moss is my great great grandfather.
Contact Name: Gregory Moss
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 1/22/2018

Company B
George Washington Buckner
- Private
George Washington Buckner, 1825 -1885
My 2nd. G-Grandfather
He served in two Confederate units, Captain Eppes Company, Johnson's Artillery, Virginia Heavy Artillery at Battery Danzler, Drewry's Bluff along the James River in Chesterfield, County, and later this unit was disbanded and made part of the 22ND. Virginia Infantry Battalion, and his company was commanded by Captain William Carter Winn, another relative from Lunenburg County, Va.
Contact Name: Jerry Dunford Sr.
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 12/9/2016

Company B
james a. waddell
- Private
hi, if anyone has more info i would be greatful to hear from you.
Contact Name: harry l. waddell jr.
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 11/24/2010

Company B
William Carter Winn
- Captain
William Carter Winn b. about 1839, enlisted in the 22nd. Battalion Virginia Infantry - Confederate States Army at Charlotte Courthouse, Va. on Dec. 31, 1861. He was promoted over time to Captain of Company B, He was about 6' tall, and was wounded at Gettsburg, and later captured at Saylers Creek Virginia on April 6, 1865 and later paroled. He had two brothers, Lewis E. Winn and Corbin A. Winn who were in 1st. Co. H, 59th. Virginia along with their cousin Columbus Martin Winn.
Both Lewis and Corbin died of becoming ill with dysentery and other disease contracted in the swamps and damp areas.
Contact Name: Jerry Dunford Sr.
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 12/10/2015

Company D
Rowland G Binford
- 1st Sergeant
My great, great granduncle. killed in 1st Battle of Fredericksburg, Prospect Hill, 13 Dec. 1862
Contact Name: Robby Batte
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 7/3/2012

Company D
Isaiah A. Hawkins
- Private
No comments
Contact Name: Alice Wilson
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 5/2/2013

Company D
Nathan G Hinkle
- Private
Nathan was my 2nd Great Grand Uncle. He was a member of Company 'D' (Nicholas Blues).
Contact Name: Butch Willard
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 1/12/2010

Company E
David W. Eudaley
- 2nd Sergeant
My first cousin five times removed. Born Charlotte County Virgnia. Enlisted January 21 1862 in the 2nd Virginia Artillery, part of which became the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
Captured April 6 1865, Farmville Virginia. POW Point Lookout, Maryland. Released June 11 1865.
Contact Name: Darron Williams
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 11/4/2011

Company E
James Eudaley
- Private
My first cousin five times removed. Born Charlotte County, Virginia. Enlisted January 21 1862 in the 2nd Virginia Artillery, part of which became the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
Contact Name: Darron Williams
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 11/4/2011

Company E
Moses Eudaley
- Private
My first cousin five times removed. Born 1825, Charlotte County, Virginia. Enlisted April 1 1862, at Richmond Virginia, in the 2nd Virginia Artillery, part of which became the 22nd Battalion of Virgina Infantry.
He was transferred to an artillery battery in Dearing's Battalion, and was killed in action at the Battle of Gettysburg on July 1 1863. His widow applied for Confederate Pension in Virginia and later Tennessee.
Contact Name: Darron Williams
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 11/4/2011

Company E
William A. Eudaley
- Private
My first cousin five times removed. Born Charlotte County, Virginia. Enlisted in the 2nd Virginia Artillery, part of which became the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
Died of disease, Charlottesville Virginia, November 17 1863.
Contact Name: Darron Williams
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 11/4/2011

Company E
Edward P. Wallace
- Private
Need HELP !! Conflicting information between VA. Regimental Series info. and records in courthouse Charlotte Co., VA.
Contact Name: Charles Magann
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 2/26/2014

Company E
Richard Louis Baxter Williams
- Private
No comments
Contact Name: Colleen Conner Crane
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 8/16/2012

Company G
John W Blake
- Private
No comments
Contact Name: bblake
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 7/1/2011

Company G
John C Gardner
- Private
John C. was My Great Great Grandad.He was an original member of the 87th Virginia Mulitia which was broken up and mustered into service as the 2nd Virginia Artillery on Feb. 5, 1862. This was broken up on June 30th and became the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry. The Battalion consisted of Companies A,B,D,E,G and H. Companies C and F became independant Artillery units.
Contact Name: John Zakrzewski
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 11/30/2010

Company G
George Washington Gravatt
- Sergeant
Wounded in the Battle of Manassas Aug 28th 1862,Died from his wounds Sept 19th 1862 in Warrenton,Va.
Contact Name: Robert Jones
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 4/6/2009

Company G
Andrew Jeter Leftwich
- 2nd Lieutenant
my great,great grandfather, survived Gettysburg and was commanding officer of this unit for four months as a Lt. Captured at North Anna 5/23/1864 and sent to Point Lookout Prison. Paroled 6/16/1865. Married Sallie Thomas Tuck of Catalpa Grove, Mangohick, King William.
Contact Name: gary m brock
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 7/8/2010

Company G
Robert Washington Leftwich
- Corporal
great,great uncle-brother of Andrew
Contact Name: gary m brock
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 7/8/2010

Company G
William H Leftwich
- Private
great,great uncle-brother of Andrew Leftwich
Contact Name: gary m brock
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 7/8/2010

Company G
Andrew Broaddus Walker
- Private
Andrew was wounded in the battle of Frayser Farm on June 30, 1862 and died two weeks later in St. Charles Hospital in downtown Richmond, he was buried at Oakwood Cemetery in a mass burial. He is not listed correctly in the list of burials and is listed as A. B. Walker GA
Contact Name: Marie Walker Jennings
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 1/27/2012

Company H
Gideon Starke
- Private
Gideon Starke, my great-great-grandfather, enlisted Mar. 18, 1862 at Camp Winder by Capt. Cosby when the unit was the 2nd Reg., VA Art'y. He only stayed with the unit until Jan. 6, 1863, the date he was recruited in Richmond by Maj. Wren of the 31st BN, VA Cav. (31st BN then became 40th BN, VA Cav., July 16, 1863. 40th merged with 32nd and became 42nd BN Va. Cav., Sep. 24, 1863; then became 24th Reg. VA Cav., June 8, 1864). Gideon was captured at Sailor's Creek, April 6, 1864 with the 24th Reg. VA Cav. He appeared on the Roll of Prisoners of War at Newport News, processed at City Point, Apr. 14, 1865. He signed his Oath of Allegiance to U.S. (the learned, former school teacher signed his 'true mark' as an 'X') Jul. 3, 1865 at Newport News.
Contact Name: Mike Upton
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 6/1/2011

Company I
William Tenneyson Dunford
- Private
My first cousin (3 times removed) William Tenneyson Dunford was born on May 26, 1819, in Cumberland County, Virginia, his father, Philip, was 24 and his mother, Ann, was 39. He had one daughter from one relationship. He then married Mary Elizabeth Dowdy and they had one daughter together. William worked as a miller and a farmer, and was the son of Philip Tennyson Dunford. When he was approximately 42 years old, the War for Southern Independence was on, and even though his age allowed him an age exemption to military service, duty called, and in Richmond he enlisted on March 27, 1862, as a Pvt. in company I, 2nd. Regiment, Virginia Artillery. In May 1862, companies A, B,C,D,E,H were reorganized and assigned and formed the 22nd. Virginia Battalion of Infantry, Confederate States Army. Company I and K were disbanded, and those men who re-enlisted were assigned into other companies, principally Co. A and G of the Battalion of Infantry. On February 27, 1865, Special Order #48 called for the formation of a Reserve Infantry Regiment to serve as a home guard, and in September Col. Richard A. Booker of Cumberland was made commander. This unit was formed mainly with boys and older men Once again in spite of his age, William T. Dunford joined Co. E, 3rd. Virginia Reserve Infantry Regiment as a Corporal and was a member until the war ended ten days later on April 9, 1865. Records indicate many men became sick with various diseases, Cholera, Typhoid fever, measles, ect, many soldiers were sent home, but William Tenneyson Dunford apparently contracted a disease and later died on April 18, just 9 days after the wars end in Richmond, Virginia, at the age of 45.
Contact Name: Jerry Dunford Sr.
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 1/18/2016

Company K
Peter Thomas Rorrer
- Private
No comments
Contact Name: Thomas Rorrer
Contact Email: Show Email
Date Added: 1/18/2011

An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙