(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
AuthorMessage
Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Longstreets reserve on July 2nd.
Posted on: 1/21/2018 10:16:20 AM
Thinking about VPatricks question about the 20th Maine and if Oates took LRT, who could he count on to reinforce him? If I'm not mistaken Longstreet had no designated reserve force on is right flank. All of Hood's and McLaw's troops were committed to the initial attack. Am I missing something?

Larry
---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Re: Longstreets reserve on July 2nd.
Posted on: 1/21/2018 4:03:17 PM
Basically, nobody.
The real left flank of the AOP was on Houck's Ridge, at least until Vincent's brigade got to LRT. Had the attack gone as planned, there would have been no attack there at all. It only ended up happening when Confederate troops were drawn east and up BRT by Union sharpshooter fire and were then ordered to head north toward LRT. Aside from the AL and TX regiments involved in the fighting, they were pretty much on their own. Which is why suggestions about all the damage Confederate artillery on the hill could have caused rings hollow. What artillery might that have been?
---------------
Jim Cameron

Every time I go to Gettysburg, I learn two things. Something new, and, how much I still don't know.

vpatrick
Boston , MA, USA
top 30
E-5 Sergeant

http://vpatricksblog.blogspot.com/
Posted on: 1/21/2018 8:01:16 PM
So I would guess the plan by Longstreet and Lee was if Oates and the other units got LRT the union forces would flee in disarray? And eventually that side of the union flank could be turned?

Vpatrick
---------------
nuts

Rick Schaus
Capon Springs, WV, USA
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

Posted on: 1/23/2018 11:32:07 AM
Regarding the ‘importance' of LRT, the following two quotes are from MG Meade who should have had some idea of the importance of that location:

At the same time that they threw these immense masses against General Sickles a heavy column was thrown upon the Round Top mountain, which was the key-point of my whole position. If they had succeeded in occupying that, it would have prevented me from holding any of the ground which I subsequently held to the last.
(First JCCW testimony)

…the enemy would have secured Round Top, planted his artillery there, commanding the whole battlefield, and what the result would have been I leave you to judge.
(1870 letter to G. G. Benedict)
---------------
VR, Rick Schaus

"When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly large circles around your own desk."
-- Gen. Bruce Clarke

Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 1/23/2018 4:01:41 PM

Quote:
So I would guess the plan by Longstreet and Lee was if Oates and the other units got LRT the union forces would flee in disarray? And eventually that side of the union flank could be turned?

Vpatrick
--vpatrick

There was no plan for LRT by Longstreet and Lee.
---------------
Jim Cameron

Every time I go to Gettysburg, I learn two things. Something new, and, how much I still don't know.

Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 1/23/2018 4:03:33 PM

Quote:
Regarding the ‘importance' of LRT, the following two quotes are from MG Meade who should have had some idea of the importance of that location:

At the same time that they threw these immense masses against General Sickles a heavy column was thrown upon the Round Top mountain, which was the key-point of my whole position. If they had succeeded in occupying that, it would have prevented me from holding any of the ground which I subsequently held to the last.
(First JCCW testimony)

…the enemy would have secured Round Top, planted his artillery there, commanding the whole battlefield, and what the result would have been I leave you to judge.

--Rick Schaus

What heavy column? And what artillery?
---------------
Jim Cameron

littlepowell
SC, USA
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

http://www.scourgeofwar.com/
Posted on: 1/23/2018 4:33:24 PM
I see your points and agree, Jim. As much as I love the romanticized version of the defense by Chamberlain and the 20th Maine (among other units of Vincent's brigade,) I tend to agree with the notion that it was not as important as most people think...

[Read More]
---------------
http://www.scourgeofwar.com/ - Historical tactical combat games for PC.

Rick Schaus
Capon Springs, WV, USA
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

Posted on: 1/23/2018 5:41:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

(First JCCW testimony)

--Rick Schaus

What heavy column? And what artillery?
--Jim Cameron

You’d have to ask Meade. They were his statements, not mine.

I simply posted two statements made by Meade, in which he gave his opinion regarding the importance of the Round Tops (primarily LRT, however, Meade did not differentiate between them or refer to one specifically).
---------------
VR, Rick Schaus

"When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly large circles around your own desk."
-- Gen. Bruce Clarke

Forum Ads from Google