(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
AuthorMessage
gettysburgerrn
massapequa, NY, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

semmes brigade
Posted on: 3/25/2018 3:19:51 PM
I know its a shot in the dark...but does anyone know of any good books/articles about Semmes' brigade and their efforts at Gettysburg?

Thanks

Ken
---------------
"You will find a great many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view...." Obi Wan Kenobi

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: semmes brigade
Posted on: 3/26/2018 6:10:40 PM
No Ken,

But here is the next best thing, a PCN battle-walk video on that very subject!

[Read More]

Regards,
MD

---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

gettysburgerrn
massapequa, NY, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

Posted on: 3/27/2018 4:59:07 AM
Thanks Dave!!!

ken
---------------
"You will find a great many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view...." Obi Wan Kenobi

Rick Allen
Baltimore , MD, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Posted on: 4/6/2018 10:51:37 AM
No good book exists on them. If you learn anything about Semmes on a Matt Atkinson tour, let me know. That would be remarkable.

Regards,

Rick

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 4/6/2018 2:00:47 PM
Try and get Morris involved he got a little upset when I raised the question of what happened to them in a post on Barksdale's Charge. I think you might be able to come up with one or two regimental histories and a couple of diaries.
---------------
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country.
"to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"

morris crumley
Dunwoody, GA, USA
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 4/7/2018 9:39:11 AM
I would love to listed to and partake in a talk about the wheat field fight. But, John...I can`t recall why I would get testy, or upset about Semmes Brigade. Do you have a recollection of precisely what we were discussing that I took issue with?

I noticed that the post in question seems to no longer be archived here.

Respects, Morris
---------------
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 4/7/2018 2:06:33 PM
Morris,

Because I implied rather strongly that Barksdale in general and Humphreys in particular wasn't supported as well as possible by the two Georgia Brigades.
---------------
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country.
"to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"

gettysburgerrn
massapequa, NY, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

Posted on: 4/13/2018 4:56:39 AM
How early in the fight was Semmes mortally wounded?

Ken
---------------

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 4/13/2018 7:48:00 AM
Ken,

Not sure but there is a book/unit history on the 50th GA I believe you might find it there. One thing I did come across is the Mary Todd Lincoln's brother was one of the doctors who treated Semmes and I believe was one of the regimental doctors in his brigade.
---------------

Rick Schaus
Capon Springs, WV, USA
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

Posted on: 4/15/2018 10:52:37 AM

Quote:
How early in the fight was Semmes mortally wounded?
Ken
--gettysburgerrn

Ken,

According to Kershaw Semmes was wounded prior to his advance.

“General Semmes promptly responded to my call, and put his brigade in motion toward the right, preparatory to moving to the front. While his troops were moving he fell, mortally wounded.”

(Kershaw’s Brigade at Gettysburg, B&L 3, pp 336)
---------------
VR, Rick Schaus

"When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly large circles around your own desk."
-- Gen. Bruce Clarke

Forum Ads from Google