Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Local and State items
Posted on: 7/30/2018 6:46:43 AM
From the Rutland Weekly Herald, Rutland Vermont July 30, 1863

---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Local and State items
Posted on: 7/30/2018 10:33:54 AM
Hi Larry,

As we know medicine wasn't to good back then, you could scratch you finger, & the doctor would cut off your arm, gangrene would set in because nothing was sterilized, and you'd be a goner!? BTW it might be better for you since you would be in such pain they didn't use anesthetics!?

I bet their were a lot of reports like this?
Thanks for posting,
Dave
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Re: Local and State items
Posted on: 7/30/2018 12:46:26 PM

Quote:
Hi Larry,

As we know medicine wasn't to good back then, you could scratch you finger, & the doctor would cut off your arm, gangrene would set in because nothing was sterilized, and you'd be a goner!? BTW it might be better for you since you would be in such pain they didn't use anesthetics!?

I bet their were a lot of reports like this?
Thanks for posting,
Dave
--Michigan Dave

Too many reports like this. I know of at least one example of a soldier from not far from where I live whose life ended like this. Pvt Henry C. Barnum, 143rd PVI.was wounded in both legs by artillery fragments prior to the PPT assault July 3rd. Taken to Baltimore with what friends described as minor wounds he died July 19th. Undoubtably time on the battlefield and a ride in a filthy freight car caused an infection which proved fatal.
---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

Forum Ads from Google