(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
AuthorMessage
Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Death of Colonel T.D. Lewis
Posted on: 9/12/2018 7:39:30 AM
From the Baton Rouge Tri Weekly Gazette and Comet. Baton Rouge LA. Sept. 12, 1863

---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Death of Colonel T.D. Lewis
Posted on: 9/12/2018 8:19:37 AM
Hi Larry,

Another example of the tens of thousands of good men who died in the Civil War!

A sad waste,
Thanks again,
for these great CW articles,
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Gregory C. White
Canton, GA, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

Posted on: 9/12/2018 10:04:38 AM
M.D.

Of the estimated 700,000 or so that died in that tragic, horrific war, only "tens of thousands" were "good" ?
---------------
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/12/2018 2:11:50 PM
Good one Greg,

I forgot to put the exponent on the #, I meant to say is around 1,000 squared, or to the 2nd power!

Math was not my forte!

Cheers,
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/12/2018 6:16:25 PM

Quote:
M.D.

Of the estimated 700,000 or so that died in that tragic, horrific war, only "tens of thousands" were "good" ?
--Gregory C. White

Don’t forget that as well as the Good, there were also the Bad....and the Ugly !

With apologies to my favourite spaghetti western.

Regards, Phil

---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 9/12/2018 7:33:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:
M.D.

--Gregory C. White

Don’t forget that as well as the Good, there were also the Bad....and the Ugly !

With apologies to my favourite spaghetti western.

Regards, Phil

--Phil andrade

Good one Phil. You're forgiven.

Larry
---------------

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 9/13/2018 2:27:18 AM
But Dave he was a member of the plantation elite slavocracy.
---------------
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country.
"to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/13/2018 2:36:28 AM
Thanks, Larry !

I must confess that I worried that my quip might be seen as being in poor taste, but I couldn’t resist it.

On a more serious note, that figure of seven hundred thousand that Greg alludes to is rather controversial, since it’s based on the long term demographic loss taking into account premature deaths in the following decade, attributable to the hardship, wounds and invalidity that war service entailed.

That is surely a very important reckoning : it’s no stretch to suggest that the best part of a million men were either killed by the war, or had their lives significantly diminished by its effects. OTOH, the same might be said of other wars : if we’re to compare like with like, how might we assess the toll of, say, Vietnam on American manhood ? Would the 58,000 names on the Washington Memorial be inflated to closer to 100,000 ?

Regards, Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/13/2018 8:29:46 AM
John,

I have never used the term, "Slaveocracy", I don't like the term!

Peace,
MD

BTW I spend a lot of time in the SE US, I like the people & their history, I am not one sided in their CW & Antebellum History, I respect their heritage, & love learning more about it!
---------------

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 9/13/2018 10:55:53 AM
Dave you used the term "slaveocracy" in the thread "A Matter of Honor" about a week ago or so when asking if the plantation elite, the slaveocracy," fought in the war or sat it out.
---------------
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country.
"to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 9/13/2018 10:59:48 AM
Phil,

It isn't only those who serve that suffer the after effects but the entire family.
---------------

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 9/13/2018 11:18:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Larry !

I must confess that I worried that my quip might be seen as being in poor taste, but I couldn’t resist it.

On a more serious note, that figure of seven hundred thousand that Greg alludes to is rather controversial, since it’s based on the long term demographic loss taking into account premature deaths in the following decade, attributable to the hardship, wounds and invalidity that war service entailed.

That is surely a very important reckoning : it’s no stretch to suggest that the best part of a million men were either killed by the war, or had their lives significantly diminished by its effects. OTOH, the same might be said of other wars : if we’re to compare like with like, how might we assess the toll of, say, Vietnam on American manhood ? Would the 58,000 names on the Washington Memorial be inflated to closer to 100,000 ?

Regards, Phil
--Phil andrade

Hi Phil. I know of at least three union soldiers buried near my hometown who were all discharged for disability 1861-65 and died before the war ended. It seems these men should be counted as war deaths. All were in their early or mid twenties. From years of research,reading letters and visiting cemeteries the real number of war dead, 1861-1865 is probably closer to a million than the accepted 650,000.

Best regards, Larry
---------------

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/13/2018 11:21:57 AM

 No worries. That was a great film. I also enjoyed "A Fistful of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More". Fantastic music, I still remember some of it.

Cheers,

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 9/13/2018 11:59:24 AM
BWilson,

I like the one that had Henry Fonda playing the bad guy but can never remember the name.
---------------

Forum Ads from Google