(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
AuthorMessage
Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

An incident at Gettysburg.
Posted on: 9/21/2018 6:35:41 AM
From the Fayetteville Weekly Observer. Fayetteville N.C.September 21, 1863.

---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: An incident at Gettysburg.
Posted on: 9/21/2018 9:16:35 AM
Hi Larry,

This incident clearly points out how Flag Bearers in the Civil War were targeted!

[Read More]

You take the flag!
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Phil Andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/21/2018 10:18:18 AM
So Waddell was captured unwounded. So were thirty others from his regiment.

Eight of these unwounded prisoners perished in captivity.

I will see if Private Ivey survived his wounds.

Regards, Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/21/2018 11:44:38 AM
Sad to say ( I find my emotions getting engaged here ) William G. Ivey was shot on 1 July, captured 5 July and sent to DeCamp Hospital in New York Harbor 23 July where he died of his wounds 8 August 1863. He was buried in Cypress Hill Cemetery on Long Island in grave number 756. What a long way from Orange County, North Carolina , where he had been born 23 years earlier ! This is from Busey& Busey’s magisterial research, and is in Volume 2 of his work on the confederate casualties at Gettysburg. I was surprised to see how many Iveys there are in the list of confederate dead from the battle. I note that Busey has him as 3rd Corporal, rather than private, in the 11th NC.

Busey also differs from the newspaper article in regard to Duncan C Waddell : he is recorded as being wounded 1 July and captured 5 July ; he was promoted to 1st Lieutenant on 30 July 1863 on account of his gallant conduct and returned to his unit 30 November 1863. He was wounded again at Petersburg Va - in the right lung - and was still listed as absent wounded as of 30 March 1865.

Note the date of capture for both men on 5 July. Lee had abandoned the field, along with thousands of wounded. I reckon this must have been one of the hardest things for soldiers to cope with : to leave your wounded comrades in enemy hands.

Regards, Phil
---------------

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/21/2018 12:06:28 PM
Adj. Henderson C Lucas, also cited in the article, was wounded in the left hip, right leg and/or left arm while carrying the colours 1 July, and died of his wounds at Martinsburg, West Virginia , 25 July 1863.

The 11th North Carolina took a hideous beating in this battle.

It entered the battle with 617 officers and men, and sustained 400 casualties : 60 killed in action ; 55 died from wounds ; 254 surviving wounded and 31 captured unwounded. The Light Brigade at Balaklava did not suffer a more fatal ordeal.

Regards, Phil
---------------

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/21/2018 3:13:50 PM
Hi Phil,

Those casualties from the 11th North Carolina are reflective of CW Casualties in general from the state of North Carolina! Didn't that state on a percentage basis suffer more casualties than any other state??

Also your comparing them to these guys!?

[Read More]

Good comparison!
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/21/2018 3:27:49 PM
Yes, Dave, those were the guys !

North Carolina took staggering casualties, especially at Gettysburg.

In percentage terms - for the entire war - those of South Carolina were worse still....at least, in terms of combat deaths.

It’s a platitudinous and cliche thing to say, but those soldiers were first rate : what a horrible waste of fine fellows, carrying those flags and going to their fate.

Same goes for their northern counterparts.

All that bravery, loyalty and devotion : put that to the service of humanity, and what might have been achieved ?

What a bloody waste !

Regards, Phil

---------------

bob miller
Kennett Square, PA, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Posted on: 9/23/2018 4:57:38 PM
We certainly cannot overlook the 26th North Carolina, whose casualties at Gettysburg were; 108 killed 537 missing 228 taken prisoner 6 missing 879 total
Although as we know, numbers will vary.
We certainly cannot overlook the loss of the "Boy Colonel" himself, Henry K. Burgwyn . . .
Anyone (myself) who has stood at the edge of Willoughby Run and gazed up the hill, at the top of which was the Iron Brigade, has to have the ultimate respect for their courage. Then go over to where they launched from for Pickett's Charge (sic) and follow their plight across the Emmittsburg Road and up the hill . . .

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/24/2018 2:38:32 AM
How amazing it is that, having been chewed up so appallingly on Day One, they had another “ run at the fence” on Day Three !

Being “ chewed up” is a phrase that hardly does justice to the slaughter of that regiment on the first day. It appears that eighty per cent of all their killed in action for the entire battle occurred in a fight that lasted barely half an hour that day. From the nine hundred or so that entered the fight, only about 250 remained unscathed to advance on Day Three.

You have to wonder at the courage and conviction of such men. What motivated them ?

Editing here : it occurs to me that North Carolina paid excellent attention to the welfare of its troops . This was largely attributable to the fact that they were under the eye of Governor Vance who had been the honorary colonel of the 26th NC at the start of hostilities. The soldiers had good uniforms and were well fed. I think that they were also given better camp drill in hygiene than many of their other CSA counterparts : this might explain why their combat deaths exceeded their disease deaths....although, of course, any regiment that is exposed to fighting as intense and murderous as that which fell to the 26th NC ( and other soldiers from that state ) at Gettysburg is bound to swell the proportion of battle deaths, even if squalour and hardship excavated its toll also. It’s also, I reckon, feasible that the casualty records of that state were better marshalled than those of others....that would go hand in hand with the superior general care. I wonder if this accounts for the uniquely high number of deaths recorded by NC among the CSA : although it must be stated that the actual combat fatality rates were even worse in the figures for South Carolina.

Regards, Phil
---------------

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/24/2018 9:28:45 AM
Hi Phil,

From the Union side probably the 1st Minnesota suffered the highest casualty rate, especially on day 2!?

[Read More]

It could be argued that they saved the Union at Gettysburg!?

Regards,
MD

BTW Larry,

Maybe you could find a 1st hand article on the 1st Minnesota?
---------------

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/24/2018 11:04:56 AM
Dave,

Those men from Minnesota come to mind straight away as the regiment that was sacrificed to contain the rebel attack .

But didn’t men from your own state rival this feat of arms ?

Weren’t they the ones who cut down hundreds of men from the 26 NC in a matter of half an hour ?

The 24th Michigan, of course !

Their fatality rate equalled that of the men they fought.

That first day at Gettysburg was one of the war’s sternest contests.

Not just an appetiser for the main course, but a real battle in its own right.

I reckon that the damage inflicted on the rebels that day was a significant factor in their subsequent failure.

The day was a triumph of sorts for the confederate troops, but it was more expensive than Lee realised.

Regards, Phil
---------------

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/24/2018 11:05:22 AM
dp
---------------

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/24/2018 3:45:44 PM
Dave,

Your forebears in the 24th Michigan went into battle at Gettysburg with 28 officers and 468 men. It suffered a loss of 363 casualties, of whom 69 were killed and 25 mortally wounded, the 94 fatalities equating to nearly one fifth of the entire complement. The men who inflicted that damage - the 26th NC, lost an almost identical proportion of fatalites among the 940 soldiers who fought at Gettysburg.

The 1st Minnesota took 224 casuaties, of whom 51 were killed and 24 died from wounds : those 75 fatalities equated to an appalling 28 % of the 262 engaged....the diminished size of the fighting strength being attributable to only eight of the companies being deployed in the fight.

The experience of the 26 NC is sometimes cited as the most extreme regimental punishment on record in that war : but I think the fate of the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery at Petersburg on 18 June 1864 exceeds it. It carried the same number of men into action - about 900 - but suffered 632 casualties in a few minutes, of whom 210 were killed or mortally wounded : more than the 26 NC, in both absolute and relative terns, and in a shorter time period. At least the North Carolinians had the satisfaction of dealing out great punishment to their foe. The poor yankees who went to it at Petersburg had no such consolation : their lives were sold cheaply.

Regards, Phil
---------------

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/24/2018 6:35:30 PM
Hi Phil,

Didn't mention them, because outside of George Armstrong Custer, us Michiganians are humble! My GGG-Grand-father Andrew was smart enough to join the Cavalry, the Michigan 4th Cavalry!

Cheers,
MD
---------------

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 9/24/2018 7:29:48 PM

Quote:
Hi Phil,

From the Union side probably the 1st Minnesota suffered the highest casualty rate, especially on day 2!?

[Read More]

It could be argued that they saved the Union at Gettysburg!?

Regards,
MD

BTW Larry,

Maybe you could find a 1st hand article on the 1st Minnesota?
--Michigan Dave

M.D. I checked and found no casualty reports in any Minnesota papers I have access to. I'll keep looking.

Larry

---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

Forum Ads from Google