(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
AuthorMessage
Gregory C. White
Canton, GA, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

Union Generals Killed or Wounded, July 1st
Posted on: 11/21/2018 2:47:57 PM
Other than Francis C. Barlow, were there any other Union generals killed or wounded July 1st north of town, particularly in the Blocher/Barlow Knoll sector of the battlefield?

Thanks!
---------------
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt

john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Re: Union Generals Killed or Wounded, July 1st
Posted on: 11/21/2018 3:58:36 PM
Brig Gen Gabriel Paul

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/21/2018 9:11:58 PM
Hi Greg, & John,

Not sure if Gen Paul is the only one? Tentative list of all Union Generals killed during the Civil War?

[Read More]

surprising numbers,
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Emanon
Gibsonia, PA, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Posted on: 11/24/2018 5:30:34 AM
John Reynolds was killed on July 1st, but the exact location of his death is not certain:

"Historians disagree on the details of Reynolds' death, including the specific time (either 10:15 a.m. or 10:40–10:50 a.m.), the exact location (on East McPherson Ridge, near the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, or West McPherson Ridge, near the 19th Indiana), and the source of the bullet (a Confederate infantryman, a Confederate sharpshooter, or friendly fire)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Reynolds#Gettysburg

This ridge is to the west of town rather than the north, however, so it may not be a correct answer to the specific question that was asked.

This map shows that he was south of the Chambersburg Pike when he was killed:

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/maps/gettysburg-morning-fight-mcpherson-ridge-july-1-1863

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 11/24/2018 3:21:37 PM

Quote:
John Reynolds was killed on July 1st, but the exact location of his death is not certain:

"Historians disagree on the details of Reynolds' death, including the specific time (either 10:15 a.m. or 10:40–10:50 a.m.), the exact location (on East McPherson Ridge, near the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, or West McPherson Ridge, near the 19th Indiana), and the source of the bullet (a Confederate infantryman, a Confederate sharpshooter, or friendly fire)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Reynolds#Gettysburg

This ridge is to the west of town rather than the north, however, so it may not be a correct answer to the specific question that was asked.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/maps/gettysburg-morning-fight-mcpherson-ridge-july-1-1863
--Emanon

I have never heard of disagreement on the spot where Reynolds was killed. How and who, yes. Who disagrees with the spot now designated as the fatal wounding site?

Thanks, Larry
---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 12/29/2018 6:53:53 PM
The location is probably reasonably accurate, although contemporary photos show markers on a number of different trees indicating "the" exact spot.
---------------
Jim Cameron

Every time I go to Gettysburg, I learn two things. Something new, and, how much I still don't know.

Wayne Wachsmuth
Shippensburg, PA, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

Posted on: 1/1/2019 9:05:15 AM
Through the years no less than three "exact spots" have been designated as where Reynolds was hit. The most probable was under a large oak tree bout 20 yards to the west of the street which was identified by Ryenolds orderly. The tree went dow in the early 90s and were is nothing to mark the site.

Wayne

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 1/1/2019 9:40:48 AM

Quote:

[Read More]

[Read More]
--Emanon

Guys,

Is it true that many regular soldiers almost considered snipers, because of the calculated picking out of targets, as virtually murderers, and relished in killing them as well?? One thing for sure John Reynolds was considered one of the Unions best generals, & his loss was huge!?

what say you?
MD

BTW Made these sites easy access "Read Mores". Hope you don't mind Emanon?
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 1/1/2019 12:15:00 PM

Quote:
Through the years no less than three "exact spots" have been designated as where Reynolds was hit. The most probable was under a large oak tree bout 20 yards to the west of the street which was identified by Ryenolds orderly. The tree went dow in the early 90s and were is nothing to mark the site.

Wayne
--Wayne Wachsmuth

As I recall, a lot of the wood ended up fashioned into various souvenir items.

The Hancock wounding marker is a similar story. Probably reasonably close to the actual spot, but...
---------------
Jim Cameron

Every time I go to Gettysburg, I learn two things. Something new, and, how much I still don't know.

john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 1/1/2019 9:04:49 PM
At the risk of upsetting someone, just how good was Reynolds? He was captured early during The Seven Days Battles so he missed most of those. He made a fine showing at 2nd Bull Run during the rearguard action in Pope's rout. He missed Antietam while in charge of the PA militia. At Fredericksburg in Command of the I Corps he failed to support Meade's Division's breakthrough. The I Corps saw little action at Chancellorsville. In his first chance in command of large number of units, he is unlucky enough to be killed.
He was well respected by all but was it deserved?

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 1/1/2019 10:03:09 PM
Hi John,

One thing for sure, I'm not upset, quite the contrary grateful for the correction on the perceived competence of Gen. John Reynolds. Mostly gathered up from the movie Gettysburg where Gen Bufford was so grateful to see the man & his troops, you got the idea he was a great General, from how the film portrayed him? So by my indicating briefly, that he was an important General, I kind of thought I would get a much more accurate portrait of his real abilities, from someone who knew, like you!

Thanks for the clearing of that up, but then again they (the movie) painted Hancock & Chamberlain also in the best of light?

So from my amateur understanding the jury is still out on those guys? Never trust a movie, even a good one like Gettysburg!?

Thanks again,
MD

---------------

gettysburgerrn
massapequa, NY, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

Posted on: 1/3/2019 5:23:53 AM
Hey John I have long thought the same thing...I am not sure what Reynolds did to have earned such esteem- Not to say he was a bad general, he just didnt seem to be very extraordinary

Ken
---------------
"You will find a great many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view...." Obi Wan Kenobi

Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 1/3/2019 2:30:54 PM

Quote:
At the risk of upsetting someone, just how good was Reynolds? He was captured early during The Seven Days Battles so he missed most of those. He made a fine showing at 2nd Bull Run during the rearguard action in Pope's rout. He missed Antietam while in charge of the PA militia. At Fredericksburg in Command of the I Corps he failed to support Meade's Division's breakthrough. The I Corps saw little action at Chancellorsville. In his first chance in command of large number of units, he is unlucky enough to be killed.
--john hayward

Part of the problem with judging how good Reynolds really was is, in a way, summed up by your post. It's basically just a very brief recap of his service. Fair enough, as far as it goes, but the opinions of his peers would have been based on a good deal more, particularly as regards personal interactions over extended periods of time.
---------------
Jim Cameron

Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 1/3/2019 2:30:55 PM

Quote:
--john hayward

Part of the problem with judging how good Reynolds really was is, in a way, summed up by your post. It's basically just a very brief recap of his service. Fair enough, as far as it goes, but the opinions of his peers would have been based on a good deal more, particularly as regards personal interactions over extended periods of time.
---------------
Jim Cameron

wesdog1964
eau gallie, FL, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Posted on: 2/3/2019 12:27:28 PM
I think it was an overall reputation, from the soldiers, to his peers, and his superiors.

Karl
Wilmington,
New User
E-2 Private

Posted on: 4/8/2019 8:48:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:
--john hayward

--Jim Cameron

I guess one could say he could be a bit reckless with himself.
It is a fair question.
Maybe his turning down the offer of command of the AOP had more to do with elevating his stature then by his actions on the field.

Where was Long Sol Meredith when it came to channeling the Iron Brigade into Herbst Woods?

OH!

Hi Everyone.
Was at Gettysburg this weekend with John Malone.

Looked at the Iron Brigade and many other things including Long Lane and the Bender Farm regarding the 55th NC and their flanking move on Cutler.

Good stuff.

Karl

Forum Ads from Google