(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
AuthorMessage
Steve Clements
Toronto, ON, Canada
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

Coddington
Posted on: 5/28/2019 11:11:30 AM
Buried away on my bookshelf is my very old copy of Coddington. Probably one of the first books that I ever 'read' on Gettysburg. Gotta say that I am very much enjoying it...albeit, it could have used more and much better maps -:)

Certainly paints a less than flattering picture of Hooker, and his response to the movement of Lee's army (away from Fredericksburg and around Hooker's right flank), and a generally positive picture of Meade's generalship.

Towards the end of his discussion of Day One, Coddington tosses out the argument that Howard could have and should have done things a lot differently ... especially with the time that the Union forces had after Heth's initial bloody nose.

Specifically, Coddington argues that the I Corps would have been better served by pulling back to Seminary Ridge, and not staying on McPherson Ridge - he argues that on McPherson Ridge, the eventual left flank of the I corps was out in the open, and easily flanked and that Seminary Ridge had a better tree line, and that the I corps would have had a lot more protection fighting from that vantage point.

Also questions the placement of the two XI corps divisions...although he gives Barlow and his position on the knoll that bears his name a lot less flack than what other historians have. But basically postulates that the XI corps might have done better, it if had been situated much closer to town, and with more of an east west line, than what was the case with Barlow's division hanging out there in the middle of nowhere.

He also does a quick numbers count, and basically argues that the XI corps was pushed out of the way by the same or inferior numbers...

A different author (Hugh Bicheno) argues that Howard blindly stuck to what Reynolds wanted to do in the am, and that once it was apparent that divisions from two Confederate corps were approaching from two different directions, that - if he had remained alive - Reynolds would have had the common sense to either back right into town, or else retreat through town and up to Cemetery Hill.

Basically, by late morning, Howard knew that divisions from at least two Confederate corps were coming at him...which might mean that he would have to fight at least four Confederate divisions and maybe as many as five (where was Anderson, by the way) or six. And that assumed that Longstreet was not up as well, and in a position to support Hill.

In other words, Buford's 'the high ground', i.e. Cemetery Hill, could have/should have been occupied the I and XI corps, without having to first sacrifice so many men on the fields north and west of town.

And both Bicheno and Coddington are quite critical of Slocum slows AND his reluctance to take overall command once he did get to Gettysburg. With Bicheno arguing that his reluctance to take command of a 'mess' was the real reason for his slows ...

Thoughts and comments?

s.c.

JPM
Gettysburg, PA, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Re: Coddington
Posted on: 6/7/2019 5:23:40 PM
Steve,

Are you talking about Coddington's "The Gettysburg Campaign"?
This is an excellent book regarding the the Gettysburg Campaign and Battle.
I will have to read it agin as the campaign has already begun.

There are very few maps, like Pfanz's "Gettysburg The Second Day."
Should always have Laino's map for reference.
---------------
John M

Steve Clements
Toronto, ON, Canada
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

Posted on: 6/9/2019 3:08:29 PM

Quote:
Steve,

Are you talking about Coddington's "The Gettysburg Campaign"?
This is an excellent book regarding the the Gettysburg Campaign and Battle.
I will have to read it agin as the campaign has already begun.

There are very few maps, like Pfanz's "Gettysburg The Second Day."
Should always have Laino's map for reference.

--JPM

JPM

I tried buying Laino's book from Amazon. And they won't ship this item to Canada. Someone suggested contacting the publisher. I did...and they would sell me a copy, but wanted to charge a large fortune to ship it to me. So....

Although Pfanz's book could have had more maps (who has ever complained that a CW book had too many maps -:), I did like the ones that were included, and copied a bunch of them, enclosed them in plastic, and took them with me to the battlefield.

s.c.

Keith W
Albemarle, NC, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Posted on: 6/9/2019 7:56:33 PM
That is the only book that encourage me to read all of the footnotes. It was very interesting and true to the sources used.
---------------
Retrospectfully Submitted,

Keith

"Life, Liberty and Pursuit"

JPM
Gettysburg, PA, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Posted on: 6/16/2019 3:41:49 PM
You will have to come to Gettysburg.
The book is sold in the Visitor Center's book store.
---------------
John M

gettysburgerrn
massapequa, NY, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

Posted on: 6/18/2019 5:04:39 AM
My only thought is : if the the first and eleventh corps retreat to Cemetery Hill earlier in the day, while they are stronger and more intact, the Confederate forces are as well. These confederate divisions will be more intact (much fewer casualties and minimal confusion from the town) , and as it will be earlier in the day, a timely attack could possibly flank the Cemetery Hill position or maybe even catch the federals before they have time to set up an adequate defense. Also of consideration, would the Federals occupy Culp's hill as well or could the Confederates occupy that and essentially unhinge the entire Cemetery hill position by threatening the Baltimore pike....

Ken
---------------
"You will find a great many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view...." Obi Wan Kenobi

Forum Ads from Google