top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Joachim Roenneberg, Operation Gunnerside
Posted on: 10/24/2018 1:12:14 AM
Norwegian Hero Roenneberg Who Blew Up Nazi Plant Dies at 99

[Read More]
---------------
"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..."

I take offense to your perception of being offended!

“If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Joachim Roenneberg, Operation Gunnerside
Posted on: 10/24/2018 1:44:54 AM
 Norway, and the Allies, were fortunate to have men like him.

Cheers,

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 10/24/2018 6:20:41 AM
Great story dt.

If he was wearing a British uniform, what did the Swedes do with him I wonder? Internment?

And what of the others?

Cheers,

George

kaii
Tallinn, Estonia
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 10/24/2018 8:02:02 AM

Quote:
Great story dt.

If he was wearing a British uniform, what did the Swedes do with him I wonder? Internment?

And what of the others?

Cheers,

George
--George

Operation Grouse team:
Jens Anton Paulsson - went to Oslo after Vemork and later returned to UK via Sweden
Arne Kjelstrup - stayed on in Telemark and helped build the resistance movement there. Returned to UK via Sweden later.
Knut Haugland - Stayed on in the area for two months, then travelled to Oslo to train radio operators. Returned to UK via Sweden later.
Claus Helberg - Stayed in the area and was almost caught, having to out-ski several German soldiers and escape from a bus (theinspiration for Kirk Douglas escapades in the Heroes of Telemark, although Douglsæ character was based on several of the people taking part, including prof. Leif Tronstad who stayed in London)

Operation Gunnerside team:
Joachim Holmboe Rønneberg - led a team of five that skied to Sweden after the operation, cahes by almost a brigade of German troops (ca 3,000)
Knut Haukelid - stayed on to train local agents, later led the operation to destroy the remaining stock of heavy water when it was transported to Germany, by blowing up the ferry carrying the rail cars across lake Tinnsjø.
Kasper Idland - escaped by skiing to Sweden, and returned to UK
Fredrik Kayser - escaped by skiing to Sweden, and retruned to UK
Hans Storhaug - escaped by skiing to Sweden, and returned to UK
Birger Strømsheim - escaped by skiing to sweden, and eturned to UK. descibed by Rønneberg as "beyond doubt the best member of the party".

The Grouse team parachuted into the Hardanger plateau a few months ahead, and were originally there to receive and guide a team of British Engineers and Commandos in Operation Freshman. This ended in disaster when their planes (Two gliders towed by Halifax bombers) crashed into the mountains killing and wounding most of the soldiers. The survivors were captured, tortured by Gestapo and executed.

The Grouse team then had to hide in the desolate mountain plateau for moths, surviving on whatever they could get their hands on (moss, fish, the occasional reindeer).

---------------
I’m not worried about the Third World War. That’s the Third World’s problem.

kaii
Tallinn, Estonia
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 10/24/2018 8:04:39 AM

Quote:
 Norway, and the Allies, were fortunate to have men like him.

Cheers,

BW
--BWilson

Indeed.
I was lucky to meet him at Vemork a few years ago during the commemorations of the event. There is an annual commando trek, following the route taken by the saboteurs. In general, even today's special forces struggle to copy the feat, carrying the same equipment and climbing the same route. It really is quite remarkable. One might think men were made of different stuff then, but we all have it in us. Just a matter of finding the motivation to get it out.
---------------
I’m not worried about the Third World War. That’s the Third World’s problem.

Forum Ads from Google