AuthorMessage
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Military slang terms!? :)
Posted on: 11/29/2018 10:31:52 AM
Hi MHO'ers,

OP, got me going on this calling USN WWII Aircraft Carriers, "Bird Farms", here are some more slang terms used by WWII Era Military, some are hilarious, check them out!? Please feel free to comment and ad more from your countries military, used now or in the past!? Kai, any current slang terms you've heard lately? Anyone else got some??

[Read More]

Could be a fun thread! Comments?
MD

So you "Big Wheels" lets "beat your gums" about which "kite" weapon was most effective, a "fish", or an "egg" ? Eggs seemed more effective at Midway?

BTW; Feel free to, Create your own military slang sentences, and see if we can decipher them??
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

ColonelMac1775
Copperas Cove, TX, USA
top 60
E-3 Private First Class

http://parlorsongs.ac/ http://indoctrinationveducation.blogspot.com/
Re: Military slang terms!? :)
Posted on: 11/29/2018 2:37:47 PM
A few Marine terms:

BOHICA - Bend over here it comes again

Geedunk - Another term for food, usually a snack, or the establishment that sells such

John Wayne - A grandstander, or descriptive of a bold act, or any act which is typical in the movies but not sound Marine procedure, such as firing a machine gun from the hip. Also, the small can opener that used to come in C-rat meals and that can be carried on the dogtag chain.

LPC's - Leather personnel carriers ... boots

Pogybait - Candies

Scuttlebutt - Rumor; Gossip / water fountain (From the Navy)

Shitbird - A sloppy Marine

Slop Chute - Bar

Ten (10) Percenter - One of the small number of nonhackers in any unit

W.A.F.W.O.T. - What a F--king Waste of Time (sung to the tune of the 1940s tune "Ja-da, Ja-da, Jing, Jing, Jing)

Doggie - U.S. Army Soldier
Squid - Sailor
Zoomie - Anyone in the U.S. Air Force

Now, I have a question on Navy terminology. This is a cowl vent aboard a ship.

When I was a boy, my grandfather (a WW II Seabee) told me that there was a nickname given to this by the Old Salts on a ship. It was a man's name and they would tell the newbie crewmen to "Go find ________"(giving that name) and the kid would search all over the ship looking for "him".

Are there any Old Salts out there who might remember what that name was?
---------------
Some things are believed because they are demonstrably true. But, many others are believed simply because they've been asserted again and again.

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/29/2018 7:42:23 PM
Hi Rich,

Those are good marine terms for sure, you have to remember some of us here are civilians (civies) so we find these terms amusing!

Like these?

[Read More]

keep the lingo coming,

[Read More]

pretty soon we'll all be talking,
like doggies, squids, & zoomies!?

MD

be cool, don't be a Blue Falcon!

[Read More]
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 11/29/2018 9:10:51 PM
MD, there are literally thousands of terms that exist in English because of military time in what was effect occupied territory. Much of it comes from British troops stationed in the Raj or in the Far East, but it appears wherever troops spend time they adapt language.
You are talking about a different concept: terms taken from the military that might exist in real life. I doubt many of these terms became part of US slang or street language, for a host of reasons.

In non-US English-speaking countries, there is a long-standing "authority" on slang and usage by the name of Eric Partridge. Amongst his many offerings, he has published a slender volume of RAF slang titled, perhaps unsurprisingly, A Dictionary of RAF Slang. Originally published in 1945, my 1990 edition and has a foreward worth considering:

"In a classic Monty Python sketch set "'Somewhere in England, 1944", a Squadron Leader returns from a mission to tell his colleagues, 'Top hole! Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dickie-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspie, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie!'"

It is noted that "the sketch is surreal and hilarious because it presents language that has a ring of authenticity, but is in fact bunk." And I note that the term "bunk", a short form for "bunkum", though it might sound military in origin, may be a political term rooted in North Carolina antiquity.

I'm not certain, but I believe that many military terms have been sanitized, and therefore lost some of their value. SNAFU and FUBAR are an obvious two from the US military, but there are probably dozens of others. Point: whenever the "f-word" comes into play and is replaced, the value of the term is lost.

A lot of military terms have been absorbed into civilian language. I agree, though I would argue the the percentage of absorption is less than expected. Some have become part of both civilian and military life because of their active description: sonar; blip; bogey are WW2 terms that have survived because they are needed and understood.

Lots more to explore on this topic, I think.

Cheers
Brian G

---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

dt509er
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 11/29/2018 10:32:09 PM
SNAFU: Situation Normal All Fucked Up

FUBAR: Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition

Butter Bar: 2nd Lieutenant

Leg, or Straight Leg: Non-Paratrooper

REMF: Rear Echelon Mother Fucker

Grunt: Soldier

Cheese Dick Mother Fucker: Cheese Dick Muther Fucker

Cherry: Newbie to an Airborne unit, aka someone to be avoided at all cost in the air.., and at a bar!

Major: Jesus Christ Wannabe, or Wishes He was a Colonel

Warrant Officer: Someone on vacation

Command Sgt Major: God

1st Sgt: Top

---------------
"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..."

I take offense to your perception of being offended!

“If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/30/2018 7:51:16 AM
I was trying to recall some of the Canadian army military slang from WW2, that my Dad would use once in a while.

Some of it would be common to the British and Commonwealth armies.

Buck shee: anything that you got that was free

One pip wonder: Name for a brand new lieutenant or leftenant as the British and Commonwealth said. Usually a derisive comment.

Doesn't Know Shit from Toothpaste: Often combined with one pip wonder

Big Boss Salute: exaggerated salute, (long way up, short way down). Reserved for senior officers and special occasions.

Slit Trench: I think that this was Brit and commonwealth. Is the US analogy a fox hole?

Dad had a name for the battalion military officer. Sounded like MOGI to me, which may be an acronym. Anybody??

World War 1:

Funk hole: protective cuts into a trench wall

ColonelMac1775
Copperas Cove, TX, USA
top 60
E-3 Private First Class

http://parlorsongs.ac/ http://indoctrinationveducation.blogspot.com/
Posted on: 11/30/2018 8:48:25 AM
George,

In the US military, a slit trench is actually a place where one relieves oneself.

Rich
---------------
Some things are believed because they are demonstrably true. But, many others are believed simply because they've been asserted again and again.

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/30/2018 10:12:44 AM
Hi George,

Your right, the Brits used some great slang terms, check them out!?

[Read More]

Go Crab Air,

Cheers, Mates,
MD

BTW Also feel free to list slang from a particular war like WWI, Civil War, WWII, Nam, or even Modern Military Terms!?

Also, Brian G., dt, Rich, thanks for your insights, good posts!
---------------

Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 11/30/2018 2:13:10 PM
SCRAN; Shit Cooked by RAN.

---------------
Fact: The phrase "she'll be right mate" increases an Australian's healing process by 40%.

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/30/2018 10:38:32 PM
Hey Riain,

Check out this bloke, saying slang terms from Oz!?

[Read More]

Wow,
MD
---------------

kaii
Tallinn, Estonia
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 12/1/2018 12:30:33 PM
PURE: Previously Undetected Recruiting Error

---------------
I’m not worried about the Third World War. That’s the Third World’s problem.

17thfabn
Ohio, USA
top 60
E-3 Private First Class

Posted on: 12/1/2018 8:54:59 PM
Dough Boy versus G.I.

I used to think of Dough Boy as slang for a World War I U.S. soldiers and G.I. as the nickname for his World War II counterpoint.

However, I've seen many articles that were written during World War II where the Dough Boy term was still being used. I've seen the term Armored Doughs for Armored Infantry.

My Uncle's Divisional (76th) and Regimental (304) histories both used Dough Boy for World War II U.S. Soldiers.
---------------
Withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy.

R Leonard
Richmond, VA, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Posted on: 12/1/2018 10:47:40 PM
Always remember to play nice lest someone dump a bucket of prop wash on you while you are loosening that bolt with your trusty left handed monkey wrench, a gift from the gunner's daughter.

:)

OpanaPointer
St. Louis, MO, USA
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 12/2/2018 12:13:53 PM
How the Navy Talks, 1942: http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/NHC/NewPDFs/USN/USN%20How%20The%20Navy%20Talks%201942.pdf

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 12/2/2018 5:45:38 PM

Quote:
How the Navy Talks, 1942: [Read More]
--OpanaPointer

good one, OP,
---------------

OpanaPointer
St. Louis, MO, USA
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 12/2/2018 5:50:09 PM
Try it on the Chief and he'll send you for a hundred yards of shoreline and a bucket of steam.

Forum Ads from Google