(1939-1945) WWII Battles
AuthorMessage
Killroy63
Pinson, AL, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

"Sabaton", Anyone?
Posted on: 5/5/2019 6:44:37 PM
I'm not truly sure if this is the appropriate place for this thread. If it is not, please accept my apology.

At the intersection of "pop culture" and history, you'll find the Swedish heavy metal band "Sabaton".

https://www.sabaton.net/

My daughter convinced me that You Tube is good for more than just funny cat videos, and I've got to say that she's right.

Sabaton is a heavy metal band with a fondness for history. Their music videos tackle subjects such as The Crusades, Sun Tzu, Gallipoli, Poltava and more.

Their two most recent videos are "Bismark", which has terrific CGI in it that, so far as I can determine, is historically accurate, with correct ships and planes and costumes for the actors, and "Fields of Verdun", which is also amazingly accurate. The music itself is a wee bit....bombastic...but I wonder how many young folks the world over listen to the tracks and watch the videos and then decide to go online- or to the bookstore- and read up on the subjects. At least here in the United States, teaching history is becoming little more than an afterthought, so anything- even a Swedish heavy metal band- that might get folks jazzed about history is okay in my book.

Forum Ads from Google