(1939-1945) WWII Battles
AuthorMessage
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

VE Day in Europe! What a celebration!?
Posted on: 5/8/2019 8:14:53 AM
May 8th, 1945, officially VE Day in Europe! Any comments, & websites on the end of the war & it's celebrations are welcome!

[Read More]

[Read More]

[Read More]

I believed that VE Day deserved it's own thread!
Comments, & regards,

Start of Baby Boomers that's for sure!
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

dt509er
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Re: VE Day in Europe! What a celebration!?
Posted on: 5/8/2019 6:39:14 PM

Quote:
May 8th, 1945, officially VE Day in Europe! Any comments, & websites on the end of the war & it's celebrations are welcome!

[Read More]

[Read More]

[Read More]

I believed that VE Day deserved it's own thread!
Comments, & regards,

Start of Baby Boomers that's for sure!
MD
--Michigan Dave

Barely a word on the major news websites and nothing locally, seems the young tire of the old.
---------------
"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..."

I take offense to your perception of being offended!

“If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 5/8/2019 6:43:04 PM
DT,

Your right I think most young people would think VE stands for Video Electronicgames!???

Sad
MD

Any areas or countries out there, that celebrated VE Day? anyone?
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Brian Grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 5/8/2019 9:31:49 PM
Interesting comments. I noted photos today of Russian military parades in celebration, and of celebrations in France. There were also celebrations in a number of South American countries, which I found rather puzzling to be honest. But it has been a relatively quiet VE Day anniversary, and although the immediacy of the defeat of Nazi Germany in some natural ways becomes less impactful as years pass, I'm not convinced the young can be blamed.

Could the lack of celebration be because:
• it isn't a "special" year? This is year 74; will things be different on the 75th anniversary?
• there are too many indications that the end of the war didn't bring peace? There's a lot of (theoretically) diplomatic stuff going on that reminds me more of 1914 than 1945.
• there are too many serious political issues to make celebration of the European War seem anything but ironic? Brexit leaps to mind, as do the constitutional issues growing larger in the US with each day. In fact, other than Holland, Scandinavia and Russia, is there a single country involved in that war that is not under some kind of major stress right now?

Those are just some musings. Maybe other folks have different thoughts or ideas. It is certainly all too easy to create spurious reasons for the relative lack of celebration, or even what might be considered – guardedly – humorous reasons.

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 5/9/2019 8:56:00 AM
Your right Brian,

We can't keep blaming the young for everything! It's just they keep running me off the road!?

Here is one kid who didn't forget!?

[Read More]

Regards,
MD

Do you want to see a group of kids in a car, speed past me? Do you want to see it again!?
---------------

Forum Ads from Google