AuthorMessage
john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 30
E-5 Sergeant

Major J Dallas McIntosh
Posted on: 10/31/2018 11:03:06 AM
Not sure where to post this so here goes
Looking for information on Major J Dallas McIntosh, 7th NJ. McIntosh was adj of the 3rd NJ, 9 months then joined the 7th NJ as their major. He resigned in Feb 1862 and vanished. I found unsupported info that he joined a NY regiment. That he joined a Conf. unit. That he was found dead on some battlefield. Nothing proven. I have not found anything about him post 7th NJ or even pre the Civil War. No date of birth, birthplace, etc.
If anyone knows anything about him, it would be greatly appreciated.

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Re: Major J Dallas McIntosh
Posted on: 10/31/2018 3:45:12 PM
Here's a start.

Enlisted on 4/27/1861 as a 1st Lieutenant.

On 4/27/1861 he was commissioned into Field & Staff NJ 3rd Infantry
He was Mustered Out on 7/31/1861 at Trenton, NJ

On 9/18/1861 he was commissioned into Field & Staff NJ 7th Infantry
He Resigned on 2/9/1862

Promotions:
1st Lieut 4/27/1861 (1st Lieut & Adjutant)
Major 2/9/1862 (As of 7th NJ Infantry)
---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 30
E-5 Sergeant

Posted on: 10/31/2018 4:00:41 PM
Thanks I have that picture and another full length one of him. Just can't believe he dropped off the radar

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 10/31/2018 4:12:08 PM
Hi John. I will look for more information, but it does appear very slim.

Larry
---------------

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 10/31/2018 4:19:28 PM
Possible? Civil War Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient. He served in the Union Navy as a Captain of the Top on board the "USS Richmond". He was awarded the CMOH for his bravery during the Union Naval assault on Mobile Bay, Alabama on August 5, 1864. His citation reads "Despite damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked her decks, McIntosh performed his duties with skill and courage throughout the prolonged battle, which resulted in the surrender of the rebel ram Tennessee and in the successful attacks carried out on Fort Morgan". His Medal was awarded to him on December 31, 1864. He was one of 31 “Richmond” crewmembers to be awarded the Medal of Honor for their bravery during the Civil War (the others being Yeoman Thomas Atkinson, Quartermaster John Brazell, Captain of the Top Robert Brown, Master-At-Arms William M. Carr, Coxswain James B. Chandler, Quartermaster Thomas Cripps, Chief Quartermaster Cornelius Cronin, Boatswain’s Mate Charles Deakin, Chief Boatswain’s Mate William Densmore, Coal Heaver William Doolen, Boatswain’s Mate Adam Duncan, Coxswain Hugh Hamilton, Coxswain Thomas Hayes, Fireman Second Class John Hickman, Captain of the Top John H. James, Marine Corps Sergeant James Martin, Fireman First Class Matthew McClelland, Marine Corps Sergeant Andrew Miller, Captain of the Top James H. Morgan, Captain of the Forecastle George Parks, Fireman First Class John Rush, Seaman Hendrick Sharp, Coxswain Lebbeus Simkins, Second Captain of the Top John Smith, Coxswain Oloff Smith, Ordinary Seaman Walter B. Smith, Marine Corps Orderly Sergeant David Sprowle, Coxswain Alexander H. Truett, Fireman First Class Joseph E. Vantine and Quartermaster William Wells).
---------------

john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 30
E-5 Sergeant

Posted on: 10/31/2018 6:28:10 PM
Wow! Never heard that one. Anything is possible but.....

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 10/31/2018 11:29:36 PM
Long shot, but it could be where he ended up.

Larry
---------------

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/1/2018 8:13:18 AM
 The results here, which tally with what John mention, indicate his given name was James. [First two hits].

[Read More]

 Also found this.

Quote:
I am searching for the full date of death and/or the burial place for James Dallas McIntosh. He was a Major in the 7th New Jersey Infantry during the Civil War.

He was associated with the New Brunswick/North Brunswick area in New Jersey.

 With supposition from the same seeker:

Quote:
I am searching for the full date of death and the burial place for James Dallas McIntosh. I suspect that he died between 1890 and the early 1900's possibly in or near New Brunswick, NJ.

Cheers,

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 30
E-5 Sergeant

Posted on: 11/1/2018 9:53:02 AM
Makes sense since the 3rd NJ militia was from the New Brunswick area

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/1/2018 12:27:49 PM

Quote:
--john hayward

John,

 The part that I wonder about is why he was allowed to resign in February 1862. At that point he was only halfway through his first year of service of a three year commitment. I did find New Jersey state records, they have no mention of him in military service after February 1862.

Cheers,

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 30
E-5 Sergeant

Posted on: 11/1/2018 1:38:49 PM
I believe he was a drunk and ran afoul of the 7th's Col Revere

john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 30
E-5 Sergeant

Posted on: 11/1/2018 1:44:20 PM
A quote from one of the 7th's enlisted men "our little bully Major has left us....He used to yell more a march!"

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 11/1/2018 3:43:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:
--john hayward

John,

 The part that I wonder about is why he was allowed to resign in February 1862. At that point he was only halfway through his first year of service of a three year commitment. I did find New Jersey state records, they have no mention of him in military service after February 1862.

Cheers,

BW

--BWilson

I've never been sure about the procedure of a union officer resigning his commission. Edward McPherson of Gettysburg fame resigned as Captain of company-K 1st Pa reserves after a very short period and many of the men who enlisted because of him being their Captain were less than pleased.
---------------

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/1/2018 4:06:38 PM
Larry, John,

 Thanks for the replies. I had thought McIntosh may have taken ill over the winter of 1861-62 and that was why he was released. I suppose too much of the sauce made him unfit for duty.

Cheers,

BW
---------------

john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 30
E-5 Sergeant

Posted on: 11/1/2018 4:16:27 PM
Lt Col Carmen of the 7th said very little about him. Politics may have been involved because after McIntosh left, Francis Price. son of one of NJ's governors, was promoted to that position. Still it is odd there is so little about him pre- and post war.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/1/2018 4:54:04 PM
John,

 There was data from an 1870 or so census for Middlesex County in New Jersey, but it appeared to be behind a pay wall or a site that one to register to use. It would be interesting to see if he was still living in NJ postwar.

Cheers,

BW
---------------

john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 30
E-5 Sergeant

Posted on: 11/1/2018 5:11:44 PM
Thanks

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 11/1/2018 9:44:27 PM
John,

Don't know if this has anything to do and I'm sure that specifically it doesn't but out West at just about this time infantry and artillery regiments are being transferred to the Navy to provide crews for the river transports and gunboats. I came across the orders while searching for some data on logistic capacity.
---------------
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country.
"to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"

Forum Ads from Google