AuthorMessage
anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Battle of Thermopylae--480 BC
Posted on: 2/18/2019 12:51:16 PM
The Battle of Thermopylae’s political origins can be traced back to Xerxes’ predecessor, Darius I (the Great), who sent heralds to Greek cities in 491 BCE in the hopes of persuading them to accept Persian authority.

This offended the proud Greeks greatly; the Athenians went so far as to toss the Persian heralds into a pit, while the Spartans followed suit and tossed them into a well. In 480 BCE Xerxes invaded Greece as a continuation of Darius’s original plan. He began the same way his predecessor had: he sent heralds to Greek cities—but he skipped over Athens and Sparta because of their previous responses.

Many Greek city-states either joined Xerxes or remained neutral, while Athens and Sparta led the resistance with a number of other city-states behind them. Before invading, Xerxes implored the Spartan king Leonidas to surrender his arms. Leonidas famously replied, “Come and take them” (“Molon labe”). Xerxes intended to do just that and thus moved toward Thermopylae.

Who betrayed the Spartans ???

[Read More]

Regards

Jim

---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Battle of Thermopylae--480 BC
Posted on: 2/18/2019 4:12:32 PM
Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, in obedience to their laws, we lie.

Regards, Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Posted on: 2/19/2019 3:55:22 AM
The Battle of Thermopylae’s political origins can be traced back to Xerxes’ predecessor, Darius I (the Great), who sent heralds to Greek cities in 491 BCE in the hopes of persuading them to accept Persian authority.

This offended the proud Greeks greatly; the Athenians went so far as to toss the Persian heralds into a pit, while the Spartans followed suit and tossed them into a well. In 480 BCE Xerxes invaded Greece as a continuation of Darius’s original plan.

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/4/2019 8:59:55 AM
How come the Persians despite having huge numerical, & military advantages, always seemed to lose to the Greeks??

A mystery?
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 3/4/2019 2:29:09 PM
That's a good question!

Better unified, better discipline and training, better tactics and better leadership perhaps?

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/4/2019 5:03:24 PM

Quote:
How come the Persians despite having huge numerical, & military advantages, always seemed to lose to the Greeks??

A mystery?
MD
--Michigan Dave

Didn’t this warfare last for half a century ?

Presumably, in that long period, there were Persian victories.

Regards, Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 3/4/2019 7:14:11 PM

Quote:
That's a good question!

Better unified, better discipline and training, better tactics and better leadership perhaps?
--wazza

And add in better weapons and armour.

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

Forum Ads from Google