(???? - 1799 AD) Pre-19th Century Battles
AuthorMessage
john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Marlborough
Posted on: 3/17/2019 10:50:54 AM
After reading Holmes' Marlborough I tend to agree that the Duke may have been England's greatest general. Diplomat, politician, worked with difficult allies, gifted on the battlefield. Not easy to compare eras but he does shine.

Better than Montgomery, Haig, all those of the Am. Revolution, Amherst. Better than the Duke of Wellington

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Re: Marlborough
Posted on: 3/17/2019 11:44:04 AM
Field Marshal William Joseph Slim, 1st Viscount Slim, KG, GCB, GCMG, GCVO, GBE, DSO, MC, KStJ (6 August 1891 – 14 December 1970), usually known as Bill Slim, was a British military commander and the 13th Governor-General of Australia--he was the very best of British Generals who did not sqnder his troops because he a brilliant tactician.

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/17/2019 12:17:06 PM

Quote:
After reading Holmes' Marlborough I tend to agree that the Duke may have been England's greatest general. Diplomat, politician, worked with difficult allies, gifted on the battlefield. Not easy to compare eras but he does shine.

Better than Montgomery, Haig, all those of the Am. Revolution, Amherst. Better than the Duke of Wellington
--john hayward

In heated agreement with you, John.

Marlborough transcends.

No wonder his descendant, Winston Churchill, sought to emulate him !

Regards, Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 3/18/2019 7:02:15 AM
Marlborough brought the British ideas that Wellington would have recognized, moving it far away from the ideas of Cromwell and Rupert. He used infantry artillery and cavalry in such a way to mold all three into an effective weapon. He brought drill and standards to the training methods not leaving it up to the regimental commanders. He built a fine intelligence gathering unit that kept him aware of his enemy's intentions. He showed a remarkable eye for using the ground of the chosen battlefield. He understood logistics before Napoleon stated "That an army travels on his stomach". Something Wellington learned quite well. His tactics suited the situation. He never lost a battle or besieged a town he didn't take.

He performed his finest work as head of an army of diverse nationalities with diverse goals, keeping it together through a long and difficult war. The only comparison can be Eisenhower in WWII

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/19/2019 8:14:09 AM
He was also blessed with his alliance with Prince Eugen of Savoy. A Lee and Jackson type match.

He was up against the vested interests of those Dutch stadholders who didn’t like his strategy : John Churchill was pre-eminently successful on and off the battlefield, both as a leader and as a commander.

Wellington was first rate : Marlborough was first rate plus plus.

Regards, Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 3/19/2019 9:05:28 AM

Quote:
Marlborough brought the British ideas that Wellington would have recognized, moving it far away from the ideas of Cromwell and Rupert. He used infantry artillery and cavalry in such a way to mold all three into an effective weapon. He brought drill and standards to the training methods not leaving it up to the regimental commanders. He built a fine intelligence gathering unit that kept him aware of his enemy's intentions. He showed a remarkable eye for using the ground of the chosen battlefield. He understood logistics before Napoleon stated "That an army travels on his stomach". Something Wellington learned quite well. His tactics suited the situation. He never lost a battle or besieged a town he didn't take.--john hayward

For me there is no doubt that Marlborough reigns supreme. He did, however, have an excellent teacher, serving as a colonel under Marshal Turenne who developed the above ideas.

Don´t want to rain on the parade but over the years I have argued that I consider Wellingon vastly overrated.

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 3/19/2019 11:02:04 AM
Phil
You are right about the Prince. The two made a perfect team which in turn made the idea of an united front possible

Trevor
Don't know enough about Wellington but curious. Just purchased Holmes' Wellington and hope to fill in the holes

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 3/19/2019 3:47:21 PM

Quote:
Phil
You are right about the Prince. The two made a perfect team which in turn made the idea of an united front possible

Trevor
Don't know enough about Wellington but curious. Just purchased Holmes' Wellington and hope to fill in the holes
--john hayward

Then enjoy the book John. We can discuss it afterwards. Don´t want to ruin it.

trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 3/19/2019 4:11:41 PM
Should be here tomorrow

john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant