AuthorMessage
kp
Belle Vernon, PA, USA
New User
E-2 Private

http://mysite.verizon.net/kpolacek126/
National Vietnam Veterans Day
Posted on: 3/27/2018 6:21:32 PM
March 29 is the day set aside to honor US veterans of the Vietnam War. If people can't honor them, please do not degrade them. Many still remember the way they were treated when they came home.
---------------
With respect,
KP

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Re: National Vietnam Veterans Day
Posted on: 3/27/2018 8:19:43 PM
KP, I'm a Canadian who didn't support the war in Vietnam.

Please let me add this to your post. The fighters didn't determine policy or advocate war. They simply went where they were sent, because that's what an army of draftees does.

As a Canadian, I had only two not-so-very-close friends go to Vietnam, both as lieutenants with US forces. Neither came back. They were bright young men who died because their country asked them to go to war. I honour them because they met their country's need.

I still believe they were lost in an unjustified war, to be honest. Such losses, multiplied many thousand-fold. Their deaths were just a small part of the lies that led to US involvement.

But I thank you, KP, for the reminder. On Thursday, I will lift a glass in memory of Pete Holland and Norman Lane, who did their duty as they saw it. Pete was more my older brother's friend than mine, and Norm gave me the only black eye I received in a punch-up on a school playground. But I remember them, and didn't have to check any records to recall their names.

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

RiaindeVoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 3/28/2018 1:55:21 AM

Quote:
March 29 is the day set aside to honor US veterans of the Vietnam War. If people can't honor them, please do not degrade them. Many still remember the way they were treated when they came home.
--kp

Our day is August 18; Long Tan Day after the Battle of Long Tan, our first big battle of the war.
---------------
Fact: The phrase "she'll be right mate" increases an Australian's healing process by 40%.

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 3/28/2018 5:51:19 PM
Remembering one of my best friends. Michael Schwarz .Born New York city 1942. Grew up Raliegh, N. Carolina. Died Berlin 2014. Marine Corps. Vietnam.

He never talked about it. " I ain´t complaining. I came home".

It was as he got old that the problems started - the nightmares, the panic attacks, the sedatives.

RIP.

He was a great Tamla Motown fan - one of his favourite songs.

[Read More]

Trevor

---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/28/2018 6:55:07 PM
Tough situation on the Vietnam Vets, fighting an unpopular conflict that was impossible to win, horrific memories! When visiting the Vietnam Memorial in Washington D.C.. It's always sad finding names we know, & watching loved ones touching their names with extreme sadness!

[Read More]

Respectfully,
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

kp
Belle Vernon, PA, USA
New User
E-2 Private

http://mysite.verizon.net/kpolacek126/
Posted on: 3/29/2018 10:05:02 PM
I visited the Wall with my family in the late 1980s. My daughters, for the first time, found out that I also served there. They watched me become emotional when I found the names of three who were playmates when we were kids. I grew ashamed of my reaction. It took well into the 2000s before I even admitted being there to myself. I always told people that I really didn't see much of anything. I finally gave up the charade with the help of the VA and have begun working my way through the repressed memories. My wife, daughters and granddaughter have helped a lot, although they all have had to put up with my snappy temper.
---------------
With respect,
KP

Forum Ads from Google