You are not signed in.
The current time is: 12/10/2018 3:13:05 PM
  - - (1863) Battle of Gettysburg - Non-Battle related discussions
AuthorMessage
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Gen Pickett's GGGrandson swindled out of over $800K inheritance items!!?
Posted on: 10/1/2018 10:05:02 PM
Did you happen to catch Fox Networks TV Show Strange Inheritance on how George Pickett's GG Grand-son, George Edward Pickett the 5th, got swindled out of original personal items like Pickett's Hat, Uniform, hand drawn map of the Gettysburg Battlefield, he was paid only 87,000, when in reality they were worth near $900,000! Since then the GGGrandson George Pickett 5th, has been trying to legally recoup the money or the valueables!? The Pickett Items are now in the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg, PA!?

[Read More]

What say you? Check out the extremely interesting story on it!?

[Read More]

1st General Pickett loses at Gettysburg, then much later,
his GGGrandson loses out too!?
Poor Pickett's!
(comments welcome)
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Gen Pickett's GGGrandson swindled out of over $800K inheritance items!!
Posted on: 10/2/2018 9:15:25 AM
I guess this is somewhat old news 1st brought to light in 2015, the perpetrator, one Russ Pritchard III, was convicted of not only swindling Pickett, but several others as well! The problem he doesn't have the money anymore to pay them back!? Do you think the National Civil War Museum which holds the historical items should give them back to George E. Pickett the 5th!? Has anyone been to this CW Museum in Harrisburg??

Makes you wonder of other instances of Historical Relics swindling!?
Let the seller beware!?

What say you?
MD

BTW Seems like people will pay big bucks for significant historical items! Wonder what some of the higher amounts forked out are??
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 10/2/2018 9:56:34 AM

Quote:
I guess this is somewhat old news 1st brought to light in 2015, the perpetrator, one Russ Pritchard III, was convicted of not only swindling Pickett, but several others as well! The problem he doesn't have the money anymore to pay them back!? Do you think the National Civil War Museum which holds the historical items should give them back to George E. Pickett the 5th!? Has anyone been to this CW Museum in Harrisburg??

Let the seller beware!?

What say you?
MD

BTW Seems like people will pay big bucks for significant historical items! Wonder what some of the higher amounts forked out are??
--Michigan Dave

About the same time this happened another civil war artifact dealer was arrested for swindling the owner of an authentic ACW frock coat. Told the owner it was a stage prop and then sold it for a large amount. Don't remember the rest of the details. Crooks everywhere.
---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

Gregory C. White
Canton, GA, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

Posted on: 10/2/2018 4:39:17 PM
That swindle goes back to the 90s. Sad, sad story. Mr. Pickett probably should have gotten multiple appraisals.
---------------
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt

hoosier
Dillsburg, PA, USA
top 60
E-3 Private First Class

Posted on: 12/3/2018 3:32:14 PM

Quote:

Let the seller beware!?

What say you?
MD

--Michigan Dave

Yes, I have been to the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg. In fact, I work there as a volunteer twice a week.

Personally, I think it's an excellent museum. The City of Harrisburg doesn't do a very good job of publicizing the museum, but most of those who manage to find their way to it seem to come away with a favorable impression.

Former Mayor Steve Reed had a vision of making Harrisburg into a city of museums, so that it would be a tourist attraction. He succeeded in getting the Civil War museum built and in stocking it with well-documented artifacts. Among those artifacts are Pickett's kepi and his commissioning papers, as well as his hand-drawn map of the Gettysburg battlefield, all contained in the Gettysburg gallery at the museum.

His second project would have been a Wild West museum, and he also had plans for a national sports hall of fame. However, the city council eventually came to the conclusion that he was spending far too much of the city's money on the western artifacts, and put a stop to that project. It seems that they were correct in judging that he was spending too much on the artifacts, as the sale prices of those artifacts, when subsequently sold at auction, fell a good bit short of the prices that had been paid for them.

The sports hall of fame never got off the ground at all, save for the fact that a street sign was once erected at the north end of the parking lot for the Harrisburg Senators' baseball stadium, proclaiming that to be Sports Hall of Fame Way.

Clearly, there were instances where Steve Reed paid too much for some of those Wild West artifacts. There were probably instances where he paid too much for some Civil War artifacts, and there were probably instances where he paid what somebody might consider too little.

I do not agree that the museum should, at this point, simply give its collection of Pickett artifacts back to Mr. Pickett. If the museum were obliged to do that, it would logically follow that every single artifact should be given back to whoever might claim ownership, putting the museum out of business and leaving a empty shell of a building on top of a hill in Harrisburg.

Forum Ads from Google